PDA

View Full Version : First engagment

Mary_Read
03-23-2014, 21:15
Sat down tonight to play our first engagement to learn the basic rules first. BF was British, I was French (He hates the French) Still learning and figuring it all out. Basically the score is 0-1 He won :-( He got the better pulls of the damage chips

Gunner
03-23-2014, 22:09
Congratulations:beer: on your first game. I pity your BF. Nothing worst than a woman bent on revenge.
Remember the old Chicago Cubs World Series saying, "I'll get you next time/decade/century".(maybe)

David Manley
03-24-2014, 00:04
He will surely be paying for that "victory" for a very long time!

Mary_Read
03-24-2014, 06:34
Maybe I let him win :-P Nothing worse than a sulking male after he got beat in a game that women don't normally play.

Punishment was I did not make him his little breakfast wraps he loves (Croissants with ham and cheese in side) . He had to eat old biscuits instead... Yes this is true

As he put it, "I got lucky!" If he only knew :-)

Beowulf03809
03-26-2014, 09:36
I'm sure you wouldn't want him to let you win...that robs so much of the sweet from the victory when it comes.

The fact that you're here posting makes me think you're going to find the edge soon enough. Get the basics of the rules down so your creativity and perception can be set free. Put out any questions you have. Get a feel for maneuvering. Getting a good setup for a shot is the best way to pull lots of chits and that increases your odds of good hits. Likewise you want to rob your "opponent" of those same odds.

Of course...if he wants to take it easy on you let him...then sink him. :-)
And welcome to the game!!!

:rum:

Mary_Read
03-26-2014, 10:24
I'm sure you wouldn't want him to let you win...that robs so much of the sweet from the victory when it comes. :rum:

~Sigh~ You are correct. I always play to win. But if I lose, I try to learn from what I did wrong. He got the lucky chip pulls on me and wore me down fast. Next game will go to me... I am sure of it

Andy Blozinski
03-29-2014, 23:59
~Sigh~ You are correct. I always play to win. But if I lose, I try to learn from what I did wrong. He got the lucky chip pulls on me and wore me down fast. Next game will go to me... I am sure of it

The very first full crew management rules game I played with a buddy, my opening shot ended up being a full double shot broadside coupled with musketry fire. He took (18) chits total in one salvo. Only (5) of them were zeroes. I got a 6, I think two 5s, two 4s, two or three 3s and some others I can't remember. It was mop up after that. The quickest game we ever played.

Пилот
03-30-2014, 03:17
Playing to win is OK, but sometimes you lose. Personaly, I also find challenge in game which ends with my defeat, but knowing I've done my best against stronger opponent - even more challenging then game I scored an easy victory.

Andy Blozinski
03-30-2014, 09:23
Playing to win is OK, but sometimes you lose. Personaly, I also find challenge in game which ends with my defeat, but knowing I've done my best against stronger opponent - even more challenging then game I scored an easy victory.
Obviously. I was just kind of replying to go along with Mary Read's post about bad chit draws can swing a game. Sometimes fortune hates you.

Capt P
03-30-2014, 12:22
I have the game since the release but have yet to play. Still doing my planes but had to have a naval game.

7eat51
03-30-2014, 17:24
Remember the old Chicago Cubs World Series saying, "I'll get you next time/decade/century".(maybe)

I thought the Chicago Cubs World Series saying was, "At least the White Sox made it, again." :wink:

The very first full crew management rules game I played with a buddy, my opening shot ended up being a full double shot broadside coupled with musketry fire. He took (18) chits total in one salvo. Only (5) of them were zeroes. I got a 6, I think two 5s, two 4s, two or three 3s and some others I can't remember. It was mop up after that. The quickest game we ever played.

Reminds me of some Pathfinder games I have played; sometimes the dice look favorably upon me, and sometimes I can't get a roll to do anything. The joys of chance.

Craig
03-31-2014, 06:07

...which is why I'm considering nerfing doubleshot (probably by reducing its maximum range, possibly all the way down to musketry distance) and don't like the "first broadside" rules. Both are overpowered, and in combination it messes up the game. Using them both as per rulebook makes for too many over-in-one-shot (if not sunk, then crippled) fights.

The slow loading time keeps doubleshot under control once the fight starts, but that doesn't work for the opening salvo. Having every fight become "load double shot to begin with and make sure that you're first to fire" is overly predictable, ahistorical and not as much fun as the game can be.

OTOH, you might be able to fix it by just deciding that the "first broadside" rule only applies if you're loaded with normal ball ammo; this would prevent the doubleshotX1stBroadside multiplier effect, and encourage folks to do something other than starting every game loaded with doubleshot.

It's also realistic, I think; the advantage of a carefully loaded cannon is in its accuracy. Once you're double-loading them, accuracy goes totally out the window.

--
Craig

Andy Blozinski
03-31-2014, 06:16
...which is why I'm considering nerfing doubleshot (probably by reducing its maximum range, possibly all the way down to musketry distance) and don't like the "first broadside" rules. Both are overpowered, and in combination it messes up the game. Using them both as per rulebook makes for too many over-in-one-shot (if not sunk, then crippled) fights.

The slow loading time keeps doubleshot under control once the fight starts, but that doesn't work for the opening salvo. Having every fight become "load double shot to begin with and make sure that you're first to fire" is overly predictable, ahistorical and not as much fun as the game can be.

OTOH, you might be able to fix it by just deciding that the "first broadside" rule only applies if you're loaded with normal ball ammo; this would prevent the doubleshotX1stBroadside multiplier effect, and encourage folks to do something other than starting every game loaded with doubleshot.

It's also realistic, I think; the advantage of a carefully loaded cannon is in its accuracy. Once you're double-loading them, accuracy goes totally out the window.

--
Craig

The simple house rule I plan on implementing is that you cannot start the game with double shot loaded.

fredmiracle
03-31-2014, 11:18
I do think stacking the two together verges on "double counting"--I've read a couple of accounts that suggested that the major advantage of the first broadside WAS that you were nicely double-shotted. Maybe I will allow double-shotting to begin, but drop the first broadside bonus

nilliom
03-31-2014, 13:51
Wee are playing with the doubleshot range being the same as grape and chain, and it works great, if you want to load doubleshot as a firs salvo, then you can at the price of being blocked from shooting at short range.

And we are also using the first broadside rule.

BUT, we are using a house rule that i found here, that we double the burden for damaged hulln and double the crew per slot. Make a more belivable effects on damage and length of a game, and i like this.

Berthier
04-01-2014, 03:18
I do think stacking the two together verges on "double counting"--I've read a couple of accounts that suggested that the major advantage of the first broadside WAS that you were nicely double-shotted. Maybe I will allow double-shotting to begin, but drop the first broadside bonus

Historically the first broadside was often double shotted and because they had the longest time to aim was often the best effective firing of the day. After that all hell would break loose and speed seemed to overtake accuracy for importance. As fatigue set in, both of course declined.

DeRuyter
04-01-2014, 10:24
Historically the first broadside was often double shotted and because they had the longest time to aim was often the best effective firing of the day. After that all hell would break loose and speed seemed to overtake accuracy for importance. As fatigue set in, both of course declined.

Craig does have a point about reduced accuracy with doubleshot (or treble shot). Obviously the idea was to hold fire until right on top of the target before unleashing an initial double shotted broadside. I suppose the most famous example being Victory at Trafalgar.

I think the Dbleshot range is far too long as well. Perhaps the solution is not to stack the bonuses, so the choice of initial loadout is a tactical one.