PDA

View Full Version : Brigade Models 1:1000 Martello Towers

Haggisblower
03-15-2014, 14:43
Was looking at making some model gun batteries and coastal defences and a quick search of the interweb brought up lots of inspirational pictures including a Martello tower here in Edinburgh. Didn't know that there was any up here. During my research for specs to make some plans I found Brigade Models already made some in 1:1000 scale

A single gun tower

A three gun tower, just like Edinburghs

Ordered them up, will post pics and a review when they arrive, and before I massacre them with my painting skills or lack thereof

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/SmallScaleScenery/index.html

Nightmoss
03-15-2014, 14:50
Those look nice. Please do post some photos when you get them ready. Thanks!

Haggisblower
03-15-2014, 15:09
Think they'll look great on an island, if anyone has ideas for stats that'd be greatly appreciated

Comte de Brueys
03-15-2014, 16:50
Nice models, Kris.

I'm curious for your paintwork.

A single cannon doesn't seem that effective.

I think it's max. 1 A damage on long range and 1 A damage on short range, too.

Same for the triple cannons. (They have no combined firing arcs.)

fredmiracle
03-15-2014, 20:54
A single cannon doesn't seem that effective.

I think it's max. 1 A damage on long range and 1 A damage on short range, too.

Same for the triple cannons. (They have no combined firing arcs.)

I remember being rather surprised how few guns were depicted in some of the shore batteries (although I don't have them here to look at at the moment). Maybe they got a bonus for being in a fixed land emplacement... You're probably right about one damage chit, but at least maybe it's solidly justified :)

Naharaht
03-15-2014, 20:54
Some of their other models might be useful for Wings of Glory.

David Manley
03-15-2014, 23:43
Remember these were part of a defensive system designed to counter landings by troops, not go toe to toe with regular warships. Ports and harbours with defensive works would have seen much bigger, well protected batteries.

Gunner
03-16-2014, 00:41
Thanks for the heads up Kris. Just placed an order for some buildings and Martello's.:drinks:

longagoigo
03-16-2014, 05:22
Towers and small forts can be done with some clay, but the village models at Brigade might be good for a more realistic port. 9381

Haggisblower
03-16-2014, 09:00
Afraid mine have still to arrive but as soon as they do I'll get pictures up with beside some ships. The towers only had one gun each but any ship approaching the south coast of England should have come under fire from 3-4 towers. As David said I think they were to counter landings or at least slow them down or provide warning. Comte de Brueys, I think one A damage is a good call. I'd think the tower would be more for harassment rather than all out defense. If the tower is good I'd probably get quite a few of them, at £0.75 each why not.

David Manley
03-16-2014, 09:40
Aslo worth bearing in mid that, along the South Coast at least, the waters facing them were fairly shallow and, in many cases, treacherous and shifting, so you'd not see much other than small craft and small frigates operating close to.

7eat51
03-16-2014, 14:37
Thanks for the link, Kris. Their prices seems quite reasonable.

I agree, David. I'm thinking of some WoG settings. The industrial and Mediterranean buildings would be pretty cool for bombing missions or Malta, for example.

bakblast
03-17-2014, 18:20
Thanks for the link, Kris. Their prices seems quite reasonable.

I agree, David. I'm thinking of some WoG settings. The industrial and Mediterranean buildings would be pretty cool for bombing missions or Malta, for example.

Wouldn't 3D terrain kind of get in the way of a flying game?

Wargamer
03-17-2014, 21:35
3d would be nice for empire state building and king kong scenarios

Пилот
03-18-2014, 09:36
John, I guess you're right.

Al, I like the idea, and not just King Kong - there's Godzilla, too!

Hobbes
03-18-2014, 09:57
As of today, another fort is listed at the site. As all three seem to be their newest items, we might see some more in the future. Maybe we should contact them and ask for more elaborate fortifications and/or harbour installations.

7eat51
03-18-2014, 11:42
Wouldn't 3D terrain kind of get in the way of a flying game?

Not necessarily. I believe these would be small enough that planes with a few pegs would have little, if any, difficulty maneuvering through. The only real issue might be bases, but with a little ingenuity, that could probably be overcome as well. I think once these are in-hand, it would take a game or two to see if the added aesthetics are worth more than the added trouble. The nice thing is these are fairly cheap. Worse case, I could use them with SoG or WWII naval.

Haggisblower
03-18-2014, 15:45
As of today, another fort is listed at the site. As all three seem to be their newest items, we might see some more in the future. Maybe we should contact them and ask for more elaborate fortifications and/or harbour installations.

Had ordered one of the Fort Vauville along with the Martello, hopefully won't take too long to arrive

Haggisblower
03-20-2014, 15:34
Got a small envelope in the post today with the miniatures

Will see about getting them painted up this weekend

Naharaht
03-20-2014, 17:42
They look good. Please let us see them once they are painted. Then your opponents need to watch out for the red-hot shot! :cannonboom:

Nightmoss
03-20-2014, 22:23
Thanks for the pics. They do look good!