PDA

View Full Version : SGN at the Naval Wargames Show

David Manley
03-11-2014, 22:49
Morning all,

I'm putting together the programme for the Naval Wargames Show. This will be held at the Explosion Museum of naval Firepower, Priddy's Hard, Gosport, Hampshire on June 21/22 this year. The event is a free entry show and the only UK wargames event themed on naval warfare (although we have stretched the point in the past and the first show featured Wings of Glory with seaplanes and coastal motor boats!).

Last year we ran the first participation games of Sails of Glory to be staged in the UK. This year I'd like to do something bigger. My thoughts this year are to run a bigger battle, ideally based on the Battle of the Nile (I have some handy terrain features that I built when I ran a similar event for the Naval Wargames Show in the 1990s). I say "based" as the success of such a game depends on getting enough players. So I'd also like to use it as an event where UK SGN players can get together for something a bit bigger than the average evening game. Another aspect of "based on" is the hoped for availability of SGN Wave 2 ships in time for the game (if not we can wing it).

Anyway, what I'm thinking is we will hold a "monster" Nile-based game at the show on Sunday 22nd June. Probably with full rules and options in play as it will be a day long event (although I'll work up a final list of rules and options in force prior to the event). In order to ensure we have enough counters in play, and to prevent mixing, I'd suggest that each player brings their own model, ship log and counters, and draws counters for damage to their ship from their own set.

So thats the idea - now I'm looking for two things:

1) Players. If you are based in the UK and would like to take part please let me know either here or by PM. Sorry its in the "deep south" of the UK but as yet the naval museum at Gosport has been the only suitable venue that has offered to host the Naval Wargames Show. For European players though its not far from Southampton Airport (as its a 2 day event there will be several players sleeping over at the museum and the Saturday night tends to be a beer fuelled night of chat and extra gaming)

2) Comments on the above - its a plan in progress, so if you read anything I've said and think "he's mad doing it that way, XXXXX would be better" please let me know.

That aside, I hope to see some of you in Gosport in June :happy:

spike
03-12-2014, 06:41
Dave
I might try and get down (from Manchester) to this, I want to visit the Submarine Museum anyway, so its killing 2 birds with 1 stone for me.
Steve

7eat51
03-12-2014, 08:26
Is it difficult to find players willing to commit to one game for the entire day? Do you have a mechanism for rotating players in and out?

Nightmoss
03-12-2014, 08:48
David, I just read your announcement on TMP as well. Best of luck getting this organized, and I do hope you get enough SoG players to pull it off. I expect this could be an awesome event (visually and otherwise). :hatsoff:

Devsdoc
03-12-2014, 17:49
David,
Just posted on TMP. This year I have written the date for both days in blood. As you know, I have no SOG ships or plan to get them. But I do hope you can get it to work and do the biggest and best SOG game in the U.K. I will be there and hope it is as fun as last year. I'm still kicking myself for only getting there for Sunday last time. If I can help let me know.
Be safe
Rory

John Paul
03-12-2014, 21:26
For those of us who don't stand a chance of making it there I hope you'll take lots of photos that will get posted here at the Anchorage, so we'll be most envious seeing what we missed!!

Haggisblower
03-13-2014, 15:00
Might try and make a trip down from Edinburgh for this, make a weekend of it

David Manley
04-21-2014, 12:30
Chaps, due to a rather low number of players who've expressed an interest, coupled with a distinct possibility that the "exigencies of the service" will now require me to be elsewhere that weekend I think its best to postpone the game until 2015. The show itself is still going ahead

7eat51
04-21-2014, 15:02
Sorry to hear about the cancellation, David. I hope in the future, you will be able to secure sufficient players. It will be interesting to see what ind of turnout we have at Origins. We have seven games scheduled - from beginner to more advanced.

If you need to be away due to service, may all go well and may you be safe.

Nightmoss
04-21-2014, 15:22
Most unfortunate! I was so looking forward to the "Battle of the Nile" SGN style. I do hope it comes off next year? As Eric said, be well and safe if you're away on duty that weekend.