PDA

View Full Version : Ship Mat Mounting: Plywood

Craig
03-07-2014, 03:27
Annoyed at the tendency for the ship mats to slip around and worried about damaging the manoeuvre cards picking them up off the table, I headed to the hardware store.

I used pieces of 5mm plywood, 30cm wide, 25cm high. A dark wood stain for naval timber ambience (different tones on each to make it easier to remember which mat goes with which ship), glued the frames to them with PVA, then a satin spray varnish over the top and a very light sand with fine grit paper on the non-cardboard bits to smooth out the varnish. There's a 1cm wooden margin on the top and 1.5cm at the sides of the frames, and enough space below to place the manoeuvre cards (both the current cards and the deck) and action chits.

It makes the whole thing more sturdy and stable, stops the ship inserts from sliding under the frames, and means that you no longer have to get a fingernail under the manoeuvre cards to lift them off the table; just slide them to the edge of the plywood and lift them easily. With a little care, you can even lift the whole thing and move it during play. I'm pleased with both the appearance and practicality of the result.

--
Craig

7eat51
03-07-2014, 07:20
I would be pleased as well. It looks great. :thumbsup:

Nightmoss
03-07-2014, 08:35
Looks very nice! You matched the colors with the stain well.

Nightbomber
03-07-2014, 08:44
Well done, Craig. Nice looking and useful:)

jcm211
03-08-2014, 11:59
very nice, was thinking of using foam core but I like this idea better

Andy Blozinski
03-08-2014, 18:34
Wow...and here I thought I was going to be cool using lexan sheets. Your idea is 100 times better. Golf clap to you for your genius and curses to you for dooming me to another trip to the home improvement store.
What stain did you use?

Craig
03-08-2014, 19:10
Wow...and here I thought I was going to be cool using lexan sheets. Your idea is 100 times better. Golf clap to you for your genius and curses to you for dooming me to another trip to the home improvement store.
What stain did you use?

The dregs of an old tin of something anonymous from the back of the shed. Sorry, that's all I've got...

What I'd suggest is to try and get something a bit darker than the cardstock mats, and then thin it down to a variety of hues in order to get differentiation between your boards. The vagaries of wood mean that you're unlikely to get four perfectly matched boards anyway, so you may as well turn it into a strength. Perhaps even try to match the hull colours of your four favourite ships.

Rubbing the stain in with a rag or sponge helps, and sanding/grinding the sharp corners of the boards into curves was also worthwhile. Go light on the PVA (but make sure to get some in the corners), and have plenty of rag ready to wipe up the excess that will appear when you clamp down the cardstock. Lotsa thin coats of varnish is better than a few thick coats. Make sure you've got somewhere relatively dust-free to do the varnishing in.

Good luck...

--
Craig

DeRuyter
03-13-2014, 14:16
Looks good - great idea and well done!

Naharaht
03-18-2014, 18:35
That looks good. A great idea, Craig!:clap:

Bligh
09-26-2015, 09:31
Just got round to this via your AAR Craig. It solves a lot of the problems I have re space for mats on my table edge. A very elegant solution to the problem. Thanks for the idea.
Rob.

Clipper1701
09-26-2015, 18:44
Excellent game aid idea! I will be making several, including a dual ship design so I can move around the table and sail two ships simultaneously. Thanks!

Union Jack
09-29-2015, 09:43
Superb idea and some spare wood in the garage.....just got to empty the garage to get at it...oh thats job 43 on swmbo list of things to do.

Bligh
09-29-2015, 10:05
Only 43rd Neil.
You really must move it up a bit or you will never find that wood.:sly:
Rob.

Gunner
09-29-2015, 10:55
Can't remember if I showed this before but, it's a ship mat Elmer glued to a clip board I picked up at a .99 cent store.:beer:

Union Jack
10-01-2015, 14:16
If I don't get to number 10 by tomorrow I wont be going to the ball (Derby!), number 43 is way down the line.........

Only 43rd Neil.
You really must move it up a bit or you will never find that wood.:sly:
Rob.