PDA

View Full Version : Convention Game Idea

Herk
03-07-2014, 00:18
Hey all,

As promised in my introduction thread, here is my shameless re-purposing of an convention game format I had a blast with in the past. Anyone familiar with the space combat game 'Silent Death' may be familiar with the concept. Originally called Astrosmash, or the Red Shirt Smash variants, it is a progressive type game also seen it used with Battletech. Honestly, game might play better after wave 2 comes out, since then there will be more ship types.

Large board, figure 4'x4' or 6'x4', will have to play to see what works best.
8 numbered markers in the board, corners and middle of each side.
Each player rolls random entry and secret exit point.
Objective is to get on and do a predetermined amount of damage and make it off the table through your exit point.
Upon exiting you go to the next class of ship.
First player to complete all classes is winner.

The primary version of this you would start large with a low quality crew and move into smaller, more fragile craft but with a better crew needing to inflict less damage. Since we would use this to teach the game, the larger craft would be forgiving to the newer players initially, and teach them how to use the maneuverability to survive later on.

I am thinking that we could start with the 74 gun SoLs, move to Frigates, then sloops. Probably with some sort of captain/crew cards.

Anyway, just wanted to toss this one out there and get some feedback. I think it will be harder to offset the craft size with the crew/captain skill (which was easy to do in Silent Death and Battletech), but I have yet to use the cards.

7eat51
03-07-2014, 07:34
Interesting idea, especially if one is open to non-historically oriented games.

Having seen the destruction caused by a raking shot from a SoL to a frigate, would you allow the smaller ships, or any ship for that matter, to respawn? I would think respawning would be necessary, regardless, otherwise the number of ships would draw down fairly quickly.

Herk
03-07-2014, 08:20
Yeah, should have added that part. Any ship destroyed means you start over on the tier you were on. New entry/exit roll and keep going. You can also sail off any point to do the same thing if you are severely damaged.

This would be a big convention game, where people can join at will. I am more interested in getting people exposed to the game and for folks to just have a good time. I figure the historical games will happen all on their own. I have a good size crew of Historical Miniatures Gaming Society guys who put on games at my cons (as well as their own), and I am sure they will have that side covered.

Nightmoss
03-07-2014, 08:45
I do like the idea, Mike. I remember playing Silent Death at GenCon, and it was always a blast. With some tweaking specifically for SoG I think it would be a winner in attracting new players and be a lot of fun to boot. A nominal reward for anyone who successfully completes the entire range of ships might be cool too?

I'm hoping someone comes up with good events for GenCon this year? Eric has Origins covered very well, but outside of two Ares events last year (that filled up almost immediately btw) I haven't heard of any plans for this year?

Herk
03-07-2014, 15:52
I do like the idea, Mike. I remember playing Silent Death at GenCon, and it was always a blast. With some tweaking specifically for SoG I think it would be a winner in attracting new players and be a lot of fun to boot. A nominal reward for anyone who successfully completes the entire range of ships might be cool too?

I'm hoping someone comes up with good events for GenCon this year? Eric has Origins covered very well, but outside of two Ares events last year (that filled up almost immediately btw) I haven't heard of any plans for this year?

The winner would definitely get some sort of award. I have a few custom laser cut acrylic awards made for other stuff already, so it won't be hard to fit in another. My only concern would be the lack of ship classes so far. My next big convention is in May, so hopefully wave 2 comes quick. The local HMGS chapter has a mini-con in April, but that one will be some sort of historical based scenario.

Nightmoss
03-07-2014, 17:41
The winner would definitely get some sort of award. I have a few custom laser cut acrylic awards made for other stuff already, so it won't be hard to fit in another. My only concern would be the lack of ship classes so far. My next big convention is in May, so hopefully wave 2 comes quick. The local HMGS chapter has a mini-con in April, but that one will be some sort of historical based scenario.

Sounds great! And if I remember correctly the "Silent Death" folks gave out a ship for those who successfully played through their events. I think the ship was an "Orca", which is probably deep in the archives down in the basement.

7eat51
03-07-2014, 20:27
Jim, this year, Sue and I might be able to make GenCon. We should talk about possible events. I will know more later this semester, but I am no longer teaching an intensive week course during the time of the convention. Fingers crossed.

Nightmoss
03-08-2014, 09:32
Jim, this year, Sue and I might be able to make GenCon. We should talk about possible events. I will know more later this semester, but I am no longer teaching an intensive week course during the time of the convention. Fingers crossed.

Eric, it would be great to see you and Sue at GenCon this year! You might want to see about hotels asap if you think this is a real possibility? Last I knew most (if not all) of the downtown hotels were sold out. For the first time in years I'll be stuck staying out by the airport.

GenCon has become incredibly popular with all types of gamers, which is why I'm really hoping Ares or some other group does something special for Sails of Glory this year.

Diamondback
03-08-2014, 10:42
Clever idea, and I have a feeling it'll be easier now with only a fraction of the possible ratings that show up in history...

Working up from the bottom (bold available in-game):
U-10/12 - Gun-brigs, smallest serious warships - not in game yet
U-14/16/18 - Brigs and sloops - 1767 Swan ship-sloop (started with 14, upgunned to 16, pierced for and could've carried 18)
6-20/24 - Smaller post-ships, heaviest of flush-deckers
6-28 - Very light frigates
5-32/36 - Light frigates (though there were some 36's built on 38 hulls with smaller numbers of bigger-bore guns) - 1773 Amazon and 1777 Concorde
5-38/40 - Medium frigates - 1782 Hebe
5-44 - Heavy frigates and light two-deckers - Constitution
4-50/58 - Superheavy frigates and heavy two-deckers
3-64 - Light Third Rate SoL
3-74 - Medium Third Rate, backbone of the battle-line - 1760 Slade Common 74 and 1782 Temeraire
3-80/84 - Heavy Third Rate, mostly a French thing
2-90/98 - Light flagships
1-100/104 - Light First Rate, normally heaviest of the Royal Navy - HMS Victory and Wave 2 British First Rates
1-110 - Medium First Rate, last of the British sail flagships but some French
1-120 - Heavy First Rate, largest standard designs - Ocean 120
1-144 - Largest Napoleonic warship (Santissima Trinidad only)