PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Grand Port Play test

DeRuyter
03-03-2014, 06:37
This is a brief AAR of a test run for this scenario I plan on running at the HMGS Cold Wars convention next weekend. The scenario is Erin's Grand Port demo game that can be found here:

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1618-BATTLE-OF-GRAND-PORT-AND-HURRICON-AAR

I used Standard rules with the addition of Entanglement, Boarding, and changing sail settings. I also changed the collision rule to have damage only if the collision occurred at full sail (draw a 'C' damage). The players were all very experienced miniatures gamers and after everyone got the sequence of play the two card system seemed to work well. During planning one could change sail settings by one, which I added because the French start anchored. I also used all SoG game components for the terrain and battery with the exception of some of the reefs which were from the Pirates card game.

The French plan was to tack and sail along the shore line to attempt an escape past the British squadron. The British sailed straight on until the French placed shoals disrupted the formation and then the inevitable happened and one of the ships ran around. Sorry for the quality of the photos they were quick iphone shots and I think the mats messed up the focus a bit.

In this first photo the British squadron are seen sailing into the channel while the French raise sail and attempt to tack.

One of the British frigates has run aground.

One of several French collisions as they attempted to maneuver.

The battery gets off a shot. I used the small battery drawing 3 chits instead of two drawing one per the original scenario. you can see the one French ship that gets away - Le Berwick being used as a stand in for the captured Indiaman Ceylon (with reduced factors of course!). The British ship getting hit by the battery just missed raking her though! LED blinky light in smoke thanks to Gunner.

The end of the battle. The frigate that ran aground is refloated at an opportune moment and lends support to a second ship which has boarded and taken a French ship. At the bottom of the shot a second French frigate has collided with the first and is ultimately shot into surrender.

A couple of lessons learned from this play:

A relatively simple turn sequence handout is a good thing. I used a flow chart which I got from BGG, but it was too complicated and caused confusion. I have worked up a simpler sequence to use at the convention.
How veer works needed careful explanation!
The two card system worked for new players once they learned the turn sequence.
Collisions limited to a chance for entanglement and a reduction in speed worked well.
I need to add sail special damage otherwise no one loads chain shot!!

I'll post a convention AAR after the convention this coming weekend along with the play sheets and scenario handouts.

Eric

Nightmoss
03-03-2014, 08:43
Eric, thanks for the pre-convention AAR and photos. I really do enjoy these reports! Will be anxious to see the convention AAR and hopefully the weather doesn't negatively impact attendance!?

fredmiracle
03-03-2014, 08:45
Nice set up! Seems like people need to spread out and use the space a little more--no excuse for colliding on 4 mats! :bleh:

DeRuyter
03-03-2014, 10:19
Eric, thanks for the pre-convention AAR and photos. I really do enjoy these reports! Will be anxious to see the convention AAR and hopefully the weather doesn't negatively impact attendance!?

Fingers crossed!! Actually the weather is helping me as my office is closed and I can finish up my Bolt Action tournament army today!

DeRuyter
03-03-2014, 10:21
Nice set up! Seems like people need to spread out and use the space a little more--no excuse for colliding on 4 mats! :bleh:

Yes and in this case it shows that tacking a squadron together is not easy!

Bligh
10-16-2015, 09:10
Wish I had read this report before Doncaster, with its warning about tacking a Squadron in succession. I must remember to give more sea room to my ships without letting them get so far apart that the Enemy line can break through. Not an easy task as I have found out.
Thanks for another useful post Eric.
Rob.

Union Jack
10-16-2015, 11:21
I seem to remember the British still won that encounter Rob. The French lost, not through lack of trying though!

Bligh
10-16-2015, 12:40
Looking back at these old AARs Neil, makes me realize that we are re inventing the wheel.
Here we already have a proto town on the seashore, 3D landscape, A channel with shoals, and a restricted maneuver area. All things which we are trying to introduce to our games, and which I continue to unearth from several years ago. there is a lot of mileage in this early work. What is the next Gem that I will uncover I wonder?
Rob.