PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Main

bakblast
03-02-2014, 22:18
OK I know this is obvious, and that I can't possibly be the first to ask, but under miniatures/Sails of Glory it lists "Napoleonic Wars" as if there will be another period.

How long will we wait for the Spanish Main?

Beowulf03809
03-03-2014, 14:29
You're not the first for sure! And you won't be the last.

Spanish fleets were very much part of the Napoleonic period...at least the 11 Spanish ships and 6000+ Spanish sailors captured, killed or wounded at Trafalgar would say so. :salute: Many here feel that Ares is focusing on British and French fleets first for (as the expression goes) depth before width. Some of the ships are interchangeable between the fleets and some can be used for AWI as well.

I have not seen anything officially posted for Spanish ships yet but adding their Napoleonic-period ships into the mix would be very logical and well received by much of the community. There have been several people on these forums excited to see Santísima Trinidad alone. We are already working on Wave 2, and I believe there was discussion of 'civilian' ships (cargo ships) and Barbary pirates among near-future releases though I'm not sure how official that ever was. All of those still fall into the Napoloeonic period but start getting more niche.

Similarly there is a lot of interest in ships from the Golden Age of Piracy and this is very iconic for Age of Sail. I am sure they are going to bring things along from that theme as well (hopefully sticking historical vs. Hollywood but you never know). But does it justify a different "period" or simply different ships. The Golden Age is typically viewed as ending in the mid 1700s. Napoleonic Wars is early 1800s. But AWI falls very close to the middle of the time between the end of one and the start of the next.

I would be confident to say that as long as sales maintain, we will see more periods develop and more variety to the existing period. But I don't know if I'd expect any of it "too soon".

Just my two doubloons worth.
:rum:

Nightmoss
03-03-2014, 15:22
Someone recently asked a similar question on the Sails of Glory Facebook page. This was the Ares reply:

Steven, Spanish and ships for the war of 1812 are in the medium terms plans for the development of the range.

As Beowulf03809 pointed out their focus is on French and British ships right now, although I do hope the Spanish and War of 1812 get more than a 'medium' ranked timeline? We'll just have to wait and see? Cheers!

bakblast
03-03-2014, 18:37
The Trinidad would be nice, but I'm thinking the cost of producing the mold would be prohibitive, since I believe it was pretty much a one of a kind ship so I couldn't imagine anyone buying more than a single model. Maybe in pewter? I have one in 1/1200 scale but alas it is too small for the other ships.

Hopefully this game will be successfully enough to see some galleons!

7eat51
03-03-2014, 18:55
I would be surprised if the Trinidad was not made, given its iconic status. But who knows at this point.

Andy Blozinski
03-03-2014, 20:25
I would be surprised if the Trinidad was not made, given its iconic status. But who knows at this point.
Oh...you know there'd be lots of sailing ship geeks lining up to buy this one.

Diamondback
03-03-2014, 20:58
Version I hear is, ST is planned as a Special Pack--the higher price-point hopefully making up for the one-use tooling is this recovering Business major's guess, along with ST being the same kind of icon for Spain that Victory is to Britain and Constitution to the US.

Пилот
03-03-2014, 21:57
Spanish Main, Crimson Coast, then Revolution, then Barbary Coast... Wait! It's different game :happy:

Just kidding, of course. But, I would also like to know what's going to be next. And as my inner Marcus Porcius Cato Maior censeat, some Oars of glory would be nice to see :rum:

7eat51
03-03-2014, 21:59
Version I hear is, ST is planned as a Special Pack--the higher price-point hopefully making up for the one-use tooling is this recovering Business major's guess, along with ST being the same kind of icon for Spain that Victory is to Britain and Constitution to the US.

A special pack makes sense. I do hope this is produced; she would be awesome to have on a table.

Beowulf03809
03-04-2014, 08:28
I think the Santísima Trinidad would be a great example of a KS option. It would be confirmed purchases for the early run and they would already have enough 'regular' purchases under their belt to guestimate how many more ships to produce for the non-KS market.

Diamondback
03-04-2014, 08:48
Funny thing... I was just discussing a Spanish-heavy Wave 1 reprint with Roberto of Ares. (I initiated this, it would replace the French Amazon and British Concorde with single-sided Spanish ships, and the British Temeraire with a double-sided Spanish one. No dice on a reflag Slade 74, the only one left is Culloden-class Hannibal taken by the French, and she'd have to be another single-sider.)

Пилот
03-04-2014, 17:57
I understand basic idea of Ares' business is selling models - but some card-book with different ship cards also would be good idea (something similar to WoW cards).