PDA

View Full Version : Marking Ship Models

XRaysVision
03-02-2014, 07:51
It's really easy to lose track of which Sails of Glory ship model is which if they get separated from their bases. Here's how I am marking my ships to keep them from getting mixed up. The Starter Kit is preceded with 'S', the Kickstarter exclusives with 'K', and the rest will be marked. The engraving tool spins at a few billion RPM so a gentle, steady, hand is required. Then the yellow crayon is rubbed in and excess wiped off. It only takes a few seconds per model. I'm also taking a Sharpie and numbering the boxes in which they come (since they are so handy for storage and transport) just in case I don't have the sheet handy.

Nightmoss
03-02-2014, 08:32
Thanks for sharing your tracking system Ray. I'm still debating how I'll do something comparable, including the other components related to each ship. From the looks of your sheet you've got a fair number of ships to keep track of. :hatsoff:

Nightbomber
03-02-2014, 09:51
:clap: Being lazy I just sticked a label to the bottom side of every model and wrote both names on them;)

Пилот
03-02-2014, 11:28
As I have 4 ships (at least for now) I didn't mark them yet.

Nightbomber
03-02-2014, 14:49
As I have 4 ships (at least for now) I didn't mark them yet.

:) Once you get some expansion ships dear Friend you will see it is very necessary to mark these similar-looking ships :wink: (at leat for me, a flying Dutchman);)

Naharaht
03-02-2014, 16:24
Now that you have brought this up, I realise that there could be a problem. However, I think that I will go for the sticky labels.

DeRuyter
03-03-2014, 05:52
For now I don't have multiple copies of each ship I just match up the color scheme on the card to the miniature.

longagoigo
03-03-2014, 07:38
This also seems like another non-issue. If the picture of the ship isn't good enough to identify it, then it really doesn't matter which ship you have on the base (they even have the same model & color scheme representing two different ships). The information on the base and the maneuver deck are what's essential for play.

Beowulf03809
03-03-2014, 12:37
I typically mark my models for personal identification purposes more than anything else so they are less likely to 'walk off'. The method of engraving and inking is a good one.
:rum: