PDA

View Full Version : Black Border vs. Red Border Card Movement

HistDean
03-01-2014, 16:37
Ran in to this today...

We were playing Standard Rules wit a few advanced.
My ship was "taken aback" and was hit with a mast damage, making me have to plot only black border cards.
I plotted the black border card, which had to be replaced with a red border since I was taken aback.

Question is, since the black border cards do not have a veer rating, which red border card do you play (4-, 5 or 6+)?

We decided to make it the veer 5 card. But that caused me to just inch backwards for a few turns. Just as I got the mast repaired, I got another mast damage. Then we played it by randomly drawing one of the three red border cards. Unfortunately, I drew the veer 5 card two more times!

So how do you replace the damaged mast cards (black border) with taken aback (red border) cards???

Пилот
03-01-2014, 17:20
Interesting issue. And as veer rating on greys doesn't exist, does it perhaps mean they have seniority over reds?

7eat51
03-01-2014, 19:40
According to the rules: If the ship is taken aback, the card is replaced randomly by one of the three red border cards.

Please stop by the Welcome Aboard thread and introduce yourself, Dean. Folks will be glad to meet you.

longagoigo
03-02-2014, 00:46
That random draw rule can be found on p.33 in the center column, however, I would have thought that you'd just go by the intended direction of the dark bordered card, since direction and veer are equivilent.

Zarathud
03-02-2014, 11:04
That random draw rule can be found on p.33 in the center column, however, I would have thought that you'd just go by the intended direction of the dark bordered card, since direction and veer are equivilent.

We played with this rule recently. With a broken mast, it makes it very tough to tack through the wind as once taken aback, you have only a 50% chance of getting out of the wind in the direction you want. After seeing a ship with a broken mast fail to tack correctly for a number of turns, I think it ends be being better to make a longer turn in the other direction rather than trying to tack.

HistDean
03-02-2014, 18:48

Thank you! That's what I get for letting someone else look it up and tell me it didn't exist!

DeRuyter
03-04-2014, 11:55
We played with this rule recently. With a broken mast, it makes it very tough to tack through the wind as once taken aback, you have only a 50% chance of getting out of the wind in the direction you want. After seeing a ship with a broken mast fail to tack correctly for a number of turns, I think it ends be being better to make a longer turn in the other direction rather than trying to tack.

Sounds about right though. It should be hard to next to impossible to tack with significant rigging damage or worse a mast dragging over the side.