PDA

View Full Version : How many Starter Sets do you own?

Nightbomber
02-20-2014, 11:36
Considering the overall costs of additional items to buy separately, I have just ordered another (2nd) Starter Set as a real bargain here (84$ including shipping). I wonder how many (if any) Starter Sets forumers own so far.

7eat51
02-20-2014, 13:04
I did the Commodore level, anticipating running games at conventions.

I doubt I will buy more, but I will buy future releases.

Nightbomber
02-20-2014, 13:38
I did the Commodore level, anticipating running games at conventions.

I doubt I will buy more, but I will buy future releases.

I read the names of the supporters at the end of the rules and it was so nice to recognize friends there:) I showed them my wife saying I knew these guys, I had played games with them at Origins...this is Eric ..and here - is the Big Boss :wink:

Diamondback
02-20-2014, 23:44
Own two, thinking I wish I could snag some extra empty boxes to pack the rest of my double-tapped Wave 1 into.

Gunner
02-21-2014, 00:05
Almost ashamed to say, I have six. Four still in the box and two opened and played with.

John Paul
02-21-2014, 01:08
I bought a Starter Set to begin with along with the first wave of ships. At our annual convention a couple of weeks ago I picked up a complete Captain's Pledge from a dealer friend for cost, as he had already opened up everything and tried a solo game before deciding he didn't really care for the game! He almost had to twist my arm!! :shock:

Diamondback
02-21-2014, 01:19
Both of mine have been opened, but that was mainly to see how much I could consolidate into them.

7eat51
02-21-2014, 12:18
I read the names of the supporters at the end of the rules and it was so nice to recognize friends there:) I showed them my wife saying I knew these guys, I had played games with them at Origins...this is Eric ..and here - is the Big Boss :wink:

I know the feeling, my Friend. It is the same when reading your Friday night game postings, and seeing pictures of you and your family. The 'Drome and Anchorage are much more than war-game sites; they are communities.

Herk
02-21-2014, 23:59
Have 2, technically 3. Missed the boat on kickstarter, found 2, then picked up a captains level pledge and sold off one to a convert. Needed them primarily for running at conventions or the local stores.

Пилот
02-22-2014, 03:24
I have one starter set. I'll probably boost it in future with single ships.

Capn Duff
02-22-2014, 06:25
Two for me as I wanted a model per ship card

Diamondback
02-22-2014, 07:55
Elaborating on prior thoughts... if they did another Starter later, even if it was just new names and paint on the same four sculpts, I'd be in for two of it as well. Frankly, I think it'd be cool if they DID do something like changing it up every few runs--as long as the current version stays in the production rotation so rookies still have a shot--and maybe even SGN Duel Packs too.

Coog
02-22-2014, 09:41
I have just one set. Since I have not had an opportunity to play the game since I got it, I am leaving the ships boxed for now. I may sell or trade most of them, along with the promo ships, for more appropriate Napoleonic Era ships (mostly frigates and sloops with nothing bigger than a 74) assuming that with the success of the game they will be later produced. I will have to see what series 3 will bring.

7eat51
02-22-2014, 10:13
You have far greater ability for focus than I do, Bobby. I was determined only to play WGF. Origins, last year, put an end to that self-delusion.

Gunner
02-22-2014, 10:51
Elaborating on prior thoughts... maybe even SGN Duel Packs too.

Now that would be a GREAT idea, especially with the well known Frigate and sloop types, as long as they're not the same as available singles.

Coog
02-22-2014, 11:13
You have far greater ability for focus than I do, Bobby. I was determined only to play WGF. Origins, last year, put an end to that self-delusion.

Not as much focus but rather practicality. I see a lot of games I want and in the past would have bought them. I finally came to the realization that I never played them, due to a lack of people with whom I could play the game, and they sat on a shelf gathering dust. It seems around my community the Magic cult has established a firm hold among the gaming masses along with a smaller 40K subculture. Whatever wargaming there was has disappeared. Even the D&D folks are no longer around. Whatever gaming I do is out of town and is few and far between. Therefore I have limited my purchasing to items that I really like for collecting as part of my favorite historical interests as well as for gaming use.

HMS Lydia
02-22-2014, 13:02
I bought an extra starter and 16 addtional single ships from Miniature Market. After playing a few games, I may have over bought. But, I purchased with running games at conventions and perhaps putting on some larger scenarios for the local group. But I will definitely buy into future waves.

Diamondback
02-22-2014, 17:25
Now that would be a GREAT idea, especially with the well known Frigate and sloop types, as long as they're not the same as available singles.
Ed, the concept I was thinking of was basically take the two "same size" sculpts from a wave, new names and schemes, like the WGF Duel Packs vs. the Series 1-B release they launched with. For example...
Wave 1: DP1 Concorde/Charmante/Magicienne 32 vs. Amazon (/Active?) 32, DP2 Slade 74 vs Temeraire 74
Wave 2: DP3 Hebe/Virginie/Hortense/Pallas 38/40 vs. Swan 16, DP4 British 1st Rate ~100 vs. Ocean 118-120

Really, in my "ideal product structure" if I were Ares, each Wave would see releases as a dozen singles, two opposed-pairs Duel Packs and a full one-of-each-sculpt Starter or "sampler pack" if class limits allow.

Not as much focus but rather practicality. I see a lot of games I want and in the past would have bought them. I finally came to the realization that I never played them, due to a lack of people with whom I could play the game, and they sat on a shelf gathering dust. It seems around my community the Magic cult has established a firm hold among the gaming masses along with a smaller 40K subculture. Whatever wargaming there was has disappeared. Even the D&D folks are no longer around. Whatever gaming I do is out of town and is few and far between. Therefore I have limited my purchasing to items that I really like for collecting as part of my favorite historical interests as well as for gaming use.
Some of that may be what We're Out To Conquer has done to D&D of late too, though.

RichardPF
02-22-2014, 20:25
At the moment I have 4.
All from the KS.
One of these is going away as a gift tomorrow.

Berthier
02-22-2014, 21:57
Two from Commodore level, one still unopened. Two copies of each ship so I wont have to change bases, well that was the theory. Haven't decided for wave 2 on what to get yet. 2 of everything would give 8 first rates which might look impressive but wouldn't get a lot of use, the agony of indecision :shock:

JonathanE
02-28-2014, 10:17
:hmmm: when I first answered, I had none.
Now that I have 1, not sure if I should/can change my answer, giv a new answer (double vote), or just leave well enough alone?:question:

Gunner
02-28-2014, 13:45
I'm not sure if he can but, you might email Andrzej since he's the one who started thiis thread.

BootYourFace
03-05-2014, 20:15
For shame those who have more than one! You know how hard it was for someone from Winnipeg to get their hands on even just a starter set who hadn't heard of Sails of Glory in time to be part of the Kickstarter! Well it was fairly annoying, and it took two months after release before a shop here finally brought one in for me. Oddly enough, it was a comic shop who don't stock boardgames or table tops.

I joke though. But only a little. :bleh:

Gunner
03-05-2014, 21:27
I guess I should feel bad because I have five sets. I don't.
When I bought them the market had plenty. If you knew about the starter sets and didn't buy, tough.
The reason I bought extras of every thing was to support Ares and have extras for customizing.
No tears from me.

BootYourFace
03-05-2014, 22:03
Cool story.

BRIAN DUNBAR
03-05-2014, 22:36
I missed the kickstarter window but was able to get one starter set and atleast one of each of the other ships. I picked up a few extra ships for making into pirate ships or having as extras.

Tommy Z
03-06-2014, 09:37
I have a Captains level kit and picked up an additional Starter set & a second mat.

Clipper1701
03-06-2014, 09:54
Finally got one this week along with the last single ship. Our local game store bought 8 of each and got no mats and they are all gone instantly! Now we have four games a week so the guys who got the starter sets are sharing their spare ships but I am anxious not to have what happened with WOG/WOW while the long wait took a tragic effect. We had 30 players before the Fantasy Flight debacle, now we have two guys : ( I feel the Kick-Starter absorbed the bulk of the initial production leaving the rest of us high and dry. Hoping May is a real date and not another avalanche of disappointments . . . treading water mates!

Diamondback
03-18-2014, 12:56
By the way, if anybody doesn't intend to keep their Starter box, PM me. We might be able to reach a mutually beneficial arrangement...

7eat51
03-18-2014, 13:01
Hey DB,

When I get home I will check if we still have one, and will PM you accordingly. If we do, it's yours, my Friend.

Diamondback
03-18-2014, 13:44
Thanks, Eric--my thinking is that empty Starter boxes would be ideal for storing Wave 1 ships and accessories--then I only have to figure out something for Wave 2 and the Specials unless a higher-density Wave 1 and Accessories solution comes along. :)

7eat51
03-20-2014, 12:32
Hey DB,

I have one. Do you want the insert?

Naharaht
04-13-2014, 15:00
I have one starter set but if a second one was released with different ships, I think that I would buy another.

Diamondback
04-13-2014, 16:40
I have one starter set but if a second one was released with different ships, I think that I would buy another.
And I two more, budget allowing. Just for the four Wave 1 ships we have a deep well of reprint potential...

What I would have considered the ideal product model for SOG wave releases, per sculpt:
-3 Single Packs
-1 in a Duel Pack
-1 in a Starter/Sampler Set
-1 Ares Direct/BGG Exclusive (these ships would be the ONLY Ares direct offerings other than at conventions or in Kickstarters, and would be one-and-done releases like the Kickstarter Exclusives)

Old Salt
04-10-2015, 12:55
I would buy one if I can find one at a decent price including shipping

Bligh
04-12-2015, 08:01
I am awaiting my second one at the moment.
Bligh.

Loki 13
04-12-2015, 12:37
:beer: Just one , for now maybe. :wink:

Popsical
04-16-2015, 15:49
Just the one for me. Im gutted i missed the kickstarter stuff tho.

Diamondback
04-17-2015, 01:12
Does my homebrew Kickstarter Edition Starter count as a third? (Eric's surplus empty Starter box, plus one Counter Set and Mat Set, plus one each of the four Kickstarter ships) LOL

John Paul
05-13-2015, 19:57
I've been thinking of late; a dangerous thing I know!! :happy:

I've actually been thinking of buying another one or two starter sets for no other reason then just the added ships!! :question:

Is there a 12 step program for this? If so, I hope my wife doesn't find out about it!!!!

Bligh
05-14-2015, 01:38
I have two starter sets Paul. It helps split up all the extra bits and bobs. I have also switched the British and French ships around, so that there are Brits in on box and French in the other.
Rob.

John Paul
05-15-2015, 00:22
I bought separate storage boxes for all my ships, as well as all the "bits and bobs"!

The original starter boxes now occupy an empty space on my shelf in my painting room!

Bligh
05-15-2015, 09:33
Apart from the starter boxes I have a stack of boxed ships. I'm going to ask Boney10 about the very nice box he has for his ships which he showed me at WMMS.
Rob.

John Paul
05-15-2015, 23:35
I went with the Plastic Satchel Boxes from Jo Anne Fabrics as suggested by Eric! They work really well, and hold a lot!! :thumbsup:

7eat51
05-16-2015, 15:45
I'm kind of excited. A friend asked me last week about picking up a starter set. I might see the SoG community grow here after all.

Paul, I am glad the suggestion worked for you. Those bins make storage and transport rather easy. I think I am more excited about Jo-Ann Fabrics than Sue is. For those of you who are teachers, Jo-Ann fabrics provide a discount card. Most of the time, I can use it with other sales.

Mark Kaiser
05-16-2015, 16:36
I bought a Starter Set to begin with along with the first wave of ships. At our annual convention a couple of weeks ago I picked up a complete Captain's Pledge from a dealer friend for cost, as he had already opened up everything and tried a solo game before deciding he didn't really care for the game! He almost had to twist my arm!! :shock:
You lucky dog! I'm jealous, lol.

Mark Kaiser
05-16-2015, 16:44
I find the deep dish clear Plano tackle boxes, with yellow tabs, work great for all my gaming storage needs. Perfect fits, and holds alot. They are the filler boxes for nylon tackle bags and readily available in sporting departments of stores around 3 or 4 dollars a box. Well worth it!

TexaS
05-17-2015, 12:57
With a used one I picked up here I now have three sets, and I find it's worth it for the ships.

John Paul
05-18-2015, 00:45
I'm kind of excited. A friend asked me last week about picking up a starter set. I might see the SoG community grow here after all.

Paul, I am glad the suggestion worked for you. Those bins make storage and transport rather easy. I think I am more excited about Jo-Ann Fabrics than Sue is. For those of you who are teachers, Jo-Ann fabrics provide a discount card. Most of the time, I can use it with other sales.

Eric, I currently have 6 boxes filled with ships, and will need at least one more to provide anchorage for the V & Cs being delivered tomorrow along with a few extra various ships to round out my American fleet!! Not to mention the boxes holding all the maneuver decks and other associated bits! Who would have thought a Naval building race could be so much fun!! :thumbsup:

John Paul
05-18-2015, 00:48
I forgot to mention I purchased all the Jo Anne boxes on hand when they had a 30% online sale! The UPS guy was very happy the two large boxes he had to bring to the door were fairly light!!

Bligh
05-18-2015, 02:06
Talking of starter sets. One of the stalls at Triples was selling off Starter sets for £40. Headby picked one up and i got one for Neil as he could not make the show. With them going like hot cakes we may have a few new players over here.
Rob.

Popsical
05-18-2015, 13:46
What company was selling them rob?

Bligh
05-18-2015, 14:03
What company was selling them rob?

It was Dice Shop Steve.
They have it on line but marked up at £55. it may well be worth giving them an E-mail as they really wanted to be rid.

https://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice-sets/973/Sails-of-Glory

Rob.

Union Jack
05-30-2015, 01:44
Now I have 1....onwards full sail.

Mark Kaiser
05-30-2015, 02:18
:drinks:
Congratulations Neil, welcome to the brotherhood.

John Paul
05-30-2015, 23:01

Time to start working on acquiring another set now!! :happy:

Popsical
05-31-2015, 12:46
It was Dice Shop Steve.
They have it on line but marked up at £55. it may well be worth giving them an E-mail as they really wanted to be rid.

https://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice-sets/973/Sails-of-Glory

Rob.

Cheers Rob, I hope it doesnt bode ill that they wanted rid so badly.

seanjohn37683
06-09-2015, 15:16
one, but I may acquire another in the near future. it's so fun that having the extra stuff for cons and my own use is far from a bad idea.

Killick
09-21-2017, 01:49
I have 1 starter set but more counters, just recently I pick up another box at a discount as some of the ship model masts were broken. I have kept the ships and a mate bought the counters and other cardboard bits of me. As the only two in the club we found that we needed extra ships and damage counters for when we have a group game.

Bligh
09-21-2017, 03:48
Keith still has some counter sets for sale on the Anchorage Store Alastair.

http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/official-products-9/sails-of-glory/additional-counter-set.html

Rob.

McDorf
09-21-2017, 15:00
Managed to get a starter set for Sails from https://f-side-games.co.uk/ at £66! Bought a ship from them off ebay and got a discount code, used that, plus free P&P.

HMS Goliath
10-02-2017, 21:43
I only have one but as my favorite hobby shop Brookhurst Hobbies in Garden Grove California has them on a really great price, I'm thinking about adding another one. Four ships for $56.00 is worth it all by itself.

Bligh
10-03-2017, 02:01
Well worth getting another at that price Robert. I got a second and found the extra damage chits and range sticks invaluable for the Actions where more than six or seven ships were involved.
As you say you could not buy the four ships for that price in many places unless a sale was on.
Rob.

KirkH
10-10-2022, 21:34
Two for me as I wanted a model per ship card That's my thinking. I only own one starter set, but I'm thinking about getting another just so I can play a scenario with all eight ships from the set.

Bligh
10-11-2022, 08:43
Since my last post I have aquired a further two.
Rob.

Corsair
10-19-2022, 11:38
I went the other way. I won a second set direct from Ares, but had four ships mats already. Didn’t think I’d ever need 12 ships fighting at once, and a friend was sitting lonely at home during the pandemic and I figured he needed a base set more than I needed a second one, so I gave it to him.

Of course, if the additional ship mats are once again sold out, a second starter set is the way to go.

William Bush
01-26-2023, 08:05
Of course, if the additional ship mats are once again sold out, a second starter set is the way to go.

But an entire Starter Set for just four Ship Mats that you need is a steep price...

Lt. Bush

Bligh
01-26-2023, 09:48
I am ever hopeful that a third printing of the shipmats will be forthcoming. I know I still require them simply because each of my ships has its own set of action chips added to its box.

Rob.

William Bush
01-26-2023, 16:00
I am ever hopeful that a third printing of the shipmats will be forthcoming. I know I still require them simply because each of my ships has its own set of action chips added to its box.

Rob.

For how many years have they been unavailable?

Lt. Bush