PDA

View Full Version : How many Damage counter sets?

DeRuyter
02-19-2014, 07:55
I know this has been discussed generally or theoretically in other threads, but I wanted to get a sort of roll call of what has been put into practice.

1. How many sets of damage counters have you used in a game?

2. Would you vary the number based on the number of ships played?

3. Has anyone played games with more than 4 ships - 6, 8, 10 and only one set of chits? Did it work?

Currently I have 3 sets and I am debating whether to just throw them all together for a scenario with 8-10 ships. But I also wanted to find out what the practice has been so far and any thoughts on the effects of using multiple sets vs. one, etc.

Thanks

Eric

Nightbomber
02-19-2014, 08:00
I do not see myself and my buddies playing with more than 6 ships. One set of damage counters should be ok. I read somewhere that 1 set of damage counters is enough for up to 10 ships combat.

nilliom
02-19-2014, 08:08
Maximum ships up to now is 6 ships. I have 2 sets, in the bags, with the second set marked in case I want to separate them later. I also removed from the second set the fire and leaks since I found that they were coming to often with the heavy damage they brings.

Beowulf03809
02-19-2014, 12:24
@nilliom - I like the idea of using the second set, minus the fire/leak special damage, to help take the edge off of those. Although we don't use the special damage ourselves yet (still getting really comfortable with the rest of the rules first) I have made mental note of how much they do seem to come up. A second set of tokens, without adding those markers in, could be a good way to level out the odds.

:rum:

Пилот
02-19-2014, 13:53
We never played with more than 4 ships, but, I always (and in WoG, too) tend to play with as much sets as possible, ideally one set per ship (plane). Other option is to use one set for all, but to return damage to the piles immediately.

7eat51
02-20-2014, 07:34
I opened up two Stater Sets and one additional damage counter set, for a total of three. I do a similar thing in WoG, e.g. using four A-decks. I use the three sets regardless of the number of ships I am using. I like the thought of having each type of chit able to be drawn again, akin to multiple boom cards with the multiple decks. At Origins, I will run several larger games, well, larger for me. I might add another set of counters to the mix.

I do not imagine I will ever remove a complete set of counters, though I might remove specific counters if I think it will enhance gameplay and player experience.

Diamondback
02-20-2014, 08:16
I'm ideally with our friend from Serbia on this one, but willing to compromise at one per player and in the interim have set a baseline of one every four ships--this is part of why I wish we could buy additional empty Starter Boxes, as one Counter Set, one Mat Pack plus one of each Wave One sculpt is basically a Starter worth of stuff less the rulebook, whose absence makes room for one of each Terrain Pack. If anyone out there isn't keeping your boxes, let me know and maybe we can work something out?

DeRuyter
02-20-2014, 08:36
@nilliom - I like the idea of using the second set, minus the fire/leak special damage, to help take the edge off of those. Although we don't use the special damage ourselves yet (still getting really comfortable with the rest of the rules first) I have made mental note of how much they do seem to come up. A second set of tokens, without adding those markers in, could be a good way to level out the odds.

:rum:

I like this idea as well. For my convention game I am not going to use special damages but I will keep this in mind.

Thanks for the responses guys! :beer:

Пилот
02-20-2014, 10:17
Other option is to use one set for all, but to return damage to the piles immediately.

And if somebody wants to try, here are damage chits for that purpose:

http://www.sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=70

jnewell68
02-28-2014, 09:55
I use two sets. Have had one 10 ship battle and had plenty using 2.

That, and the bags feel WAY better with two full sets.

Jeff