PDA

View Full Version : Aubrey and Maturin books

Dan-Sam
11-29-2011, 00:55
I'm curious if anyone from old navy salts knows the book written by Patric O'Brian. I found the first many years ago in "Cheap Books" shop and I fall in love. The bad thing is that only five books from the serie is translated to the Czech until now. Hope the sixth will come soon, but I am afraid I should start with english terminology and buy these great books in original.

Bumblie3
11-29-2011, 02:37
Hi Daniel,
Patrick O'Brian completed 20 books in the Aubrey/Maturin series, and a partially completed 21st volume exists. I'm pretty sure they were released as a boxed set. You could try www.abebooks.com to see what is available. I use www.abebooks co.uk but there is an international site at www.abebooks.eu which might be of use to you.
I hope this helps.
Yo ho ho!
John.

Dan-Sam
11-29-2011, 02:40
I know there are about 20 volumes - that is the problem. I started with these books in 2004 and there are only 5 books translated yet (for 7 years!). I check the Abe Books and try english version. Thank you for the tip.

Attila57
11-29-2011, 13:11
As I answer you in my welcome thread; yes, of course!

I've all the books. The last is incomplete because O'Brian died before to finish it: "The Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey".

Attilio

The Cowman
11-29-2011, 14:26
I have checked into it, and unfortunately the books are not yet avaliable for my Nook, which I primarily use to do all my reading. (easier on these old beat up eyes.... LOL). I have of course seen the movie Master and Commander, but I imagine the book is much better...

The Royal Hajj
11-30-2011, 01:54
Ken, just FYI, the first book is previewed and can be pre-order on iBooks (for the iPad). They say it will be out the first week of Dec if I recall correctly. I would think it would follow on the Nook soon afterwards.

Attila57
11-30-2011, 06:53
I have checked into it, and unfortunately the books are not yet avaliable for my Nook, which I primarily use to do all my reading. (easier on these old beat up eyes.... LOL). I have of course seen the movie Master and Commander, but I imagine the book is much better...

The movie is beatiful but the books are better. Prepare yourself to dozens of pages of accurate noise description of botany and navy but I can guarantee that in general all the books end with the description of a naval battle, and that pages in a snap fly! You may have slept for 270 pages but the last 30 also awaken from a bear hibernating in winter.

Great O'Brian!

Attilio

Dan-Sam
11-30-2011, 07:04
Prepare yourself to dozens of pages of accurate noise description of botany and navy but I can guarantee that in general all the books end with the description of a naval battle, and that pages in a snap fly! You may have slept for 270 pages but the last 30 also awaken from a bear hibernating in winter.

Exactly! I was a little bored when I was reading Desolation Island, but than...fantastic end! I read and read and read and I couldn't stop until the last gunshot... Same with Post Captain - english chapters was just too long, but when they were at sea, everything turned.
On the other side, I read HMS Surprise in one breath.

Bligh
11-30-2011, 07:27
You must all have better staying power than me me hearties. I only read one book and went back to Hornblower.
Rob.

Bumblie3
11-30-2011, 16:57
I've only read a couple of the Aubrey/Maturin books, but I have read most of the Hornblower novels, and several of the Richard Bolitho books. I would recommend all three series, but as I started reading Hornblower as a schoolboy, I would say it is my favourite series.

Attila57
11-30-2011, 22:08
I've only read a couple of the Aubrey/Maturin books, but I have read most of the Hornblower novels, and several of the Richard Bolitho books. I would recommend all three series, but as I started reading Hornblower as a schoolboy, I would say it is my favourite series.

I read Hornblower books (and saw the movies) I haven't read anything about Bolitho. Thanks for the suggestion

Attilio

Tommy Z
11-30-2011, 22:39
Looks like I've got some reading to do!

Bumblie3
12-01-2011, 00:38
The following is a website of Historic Naval Fiction. It contains a database of authors and a timeline from 1571 to 1888 of novels and titles which cover the timescale, plus a note of the main character(s). I am sure it will be handy for reference, but you may have to pick and choose your authors, as I haven't heard of many of them, nor indeed of quite a few of the series mentioned.
I hope it is helpful.
http://www.historicnavalfiction.com/index.php/books-timeline/1800-1809

Attila57
12-01-2011, 00:54
Thx for sharing! :)

Attilio

Dan-Sam
12-01-2011, 01:01
I read Hornblower books (and saw the movies) I haven't read anything about Bolitho. Thanks for the suggestion

Yes, movies about Hornblower are great - you can see more than life on aboard the ship like in M&C (unfortunatelly, M&C is only one, but there are 10 (?) movies about Horatio). I like there are several well known faces which you can see through all movies (captain on HMS Indefatigable, ordinary seamen and others). How many books about Hornblower exist? :confused:

Bumblie3
12-01-2011, 01:10
Hi Daniel,
There are 11 Hornblower novels and a couple of short stories.
See the following for a bibliography:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horatio_Hornblower
John

Dan-Sam
12-01-2011, 01:23
Thank you John - I will look at it when I will have some free time.

bsmith13
12-05-2011, 09:36
I've read the O'Brian books and the Forrester books. I enjoyed both series very much, but prefer the Master and Commander books.

Blackjohn
12-05-2011, 17:16
You must all have better staying power than me me hearties. I only read one book and went back to Hornblower.
Rob.

I wasn't a big fan either. I read the first, found it so-so, started the second and finally threw in the towel. However, I really enjoyed two other books of his, The Golden Ocean (about Commodore Anson and the Manila Galleon) and The Unknown Shore (a "flipside" story as it were, about some of the crew from one of Anson's fleet who find themselves shipwrecked).

Lugburz
04-16-2013, 22:22
The following is a website of Historic Naval Fiction. It contains a database of authors and a timeline from 1571 to 1888 of novels and titles which cover the timescale, plus a note of the main character(s). I am sure it will be handy for reference, but you may have to pick and choose your authors, as I haven't heard of many of them, nor indeed of quite a few of the series mentioned.
I hope it is helpful.
http://www.historicnavalfiction.com/index.php/books-timeline/1800-1809
*bookmarked*

Cheers!
:salute:

Bligh
04-18-2013, 03:21
I just bookmarked it as well.
thanks for the heads up John.
Bligh.

daledavis67
04-18-2013, 05:43
Currently listening to book 2 on Audible.

pward
04-19-2013, 13:20
Hi Daniel,
Patrick O'Brian completed 20 books in the Aubrey/Maturin series, and a partially completed 21st volume exists. I'm pretty sure they were released as a boxed set. You could try www.abebooks.com to see what is available. I use www.abebooks co.uk but there is an international site at www.abebooks.eu which might be of use to you.
I hope this helps.
Yo ho ho!
John.

They did release the series as a boxed set, but the 20 books were printed into 5 or 6 soft cover editions for this boxed set, and several reviews on the set revealled many printing errors... I would stick with the individual volumes if you can.

Bumblie3
04-19-2013, 14:02
They did release the series as a boxed set, but the 20 books were printed into 5 or 6 soft cover editions for this boxed set, and several reviews on the set revealled many printing errors... I would stick with the individual volumes if you can.

Thanks for that Paul. I wasn't aware of the print problems, or that the books were all paperbacks!:cry:

John.

pward
04-19-2013, 19:52
Thanks for that Paul. I wasn't aware of the print problems, or that the books were all paperbacks!:cry:

John.

They might be hardbacks, the more I think about it, but the print quality was not good (very small print as well) along with the errors.