PDA

View Full Version : Conscript from the colonies - Upper Canada

JonathanE
02-15-2014, 14:16
Hi. *My name is Jon. *And I'm addicted to Firefly.
A strange way to start, but let me explain how I ended up on these shores.

First: My interest in Firefly led me to "Firefly The Game" - which led to "Board Game Geeks" - which led to "Sails of Glory" - which has led me here.

Second: I liked the TV Series Sharpe - which led to the Sharpe Books - which led to me thinking about Artillery during Napoleonic times ( and possibly computer modelling and animating these ) - which led to Osprey Publishing (specifically Napoleonic Artillery, including Naval Artillery) - which has led to an interest in Sailing Ships of that era.

Third: A friend asked me to create some computer visualizations for his book (Sci-Fi) based on the equivalent of a Frigate ( and the freedom it provided the Captain, when away from the Fleet ). *He provided a general introduction on sailing ships and their operation. *So when I saw Frigates, it just added to my interest (in SoG).

So now I wait on shore, scanning the horizon in vain, hoping to sight some "Sails of Glory".
Nothing has arrived locally, and I'm on a waiting list.
But I've been following various threads on this site with interest.

Jon

7eat51
02-15-2014, 15:48
Welcome aboard, Jon. :rum:

Are you a graphic designer or illustrator?

Coog
02-15-2014, 16:32
Welcome aboard Jon!

Comte de Brueys
02-15-2014, 16:33
Bonjour, Jon.

Welcome on board. :salute:

JonathanE
02-15-2014, 17:19
Welcome aboard, Jon. :rum:

Are you a graphic designer or illustrator?

Would be nice if I was, but no. I've been using Lightwave for ages, to model and animate with.

Coog
02-15-2014, 18:45
Hi. *My name is Jon. *And I'm addicted to Firefly.
A strange way to start, but let me explain how I ended up on these shores.

Perhaps this would be an appropriate ship for you to command:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Firefly_(1814)

Cmmdre
02-15-2014, 19:22
Welcome aboard Jon. :salute:

Diamondback
02-15-2014, 19:24
So what abilities would we give an expy of Cap'n Mal? LOL

Welcome aboard!

Naharaht
02-15-2014, 19:57
Welcome to the Anchorage, Jon. I also like 'Firefly' and 'Sharpe'.

JonathanE
02-16-2014, 13:51
Perhaps this would be an appropriate ship for you to command:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Firefly_(1814)

Thanks for the link Bobby. Gives me some ideas!

With the SoG Wave 2 coming out with Sail-Sloops (14 Guns 3 Masts). And a Brig being 14 Guns and 2 Masts. If I take the Mizzen Mast off a Sloop will I get a Brig?

Actually, wondering if the later expansion (for Merchant and Pirate ships) if any of them may be Brigs. If I understand correctly, the Brig was the preferred vessel of a Pirate/Privateer?

Coog
02-16-2014, 14:28
Thanks for the link Bobby. Gives me some ideas!

With the SoG Wave 2 coming out with Sail-Sloops (14 Guns 3 Masts). And a Brig being 14 Guns and 2 Masts. If I take the Mizzen Mast off a Sloop will I get a Brig?

Not really. The position of the masts would be different and the deck could be different, being either with a quarterdeck or flush decked.

Capn Duff
02-16-2014, 16:33
Welcome Jon

Gunner
02-16-2014, 18:19
Welcome:beer: Jon.

When I saw the Firefly I thought the same as you. Use the USS Thorne and remove the foremast, then remove the mainmast and drill a hole a little forward of it. The hard part is adding an extension to the mainmast to put in the new hole. Then use something to increase the size of the jib sails.

If anyone figures a out way to add to the length of the mast please let me know.

Coog
02-16-2014, 18:35
It will be tougher trying to customize the SoG models. It was easy to do with GHQ models since you could get extra sails and masts. If someone designed masts and sails for 3D printing that matched the look of the SoG ones, we could have some options...and not to mention replacing the broken ones that are bound to occur.

Diamondback
02-16-2014, 18:48
It will be tougher trying to customize the SoG models. It was easy to do with GHQ models since you could get extra sails and masts. If someone designed masts and sails for 3D printing that matched the look of the SoG ones, we could have some options...and not to mention replacing the broken ones that are bound to occur.
It'd be nice if Ares offered spares... I've got a jib on one of my Starter 74's that due to my clumsiness is almost snapped off, in dire need of a dab of superglue. And of course every tube I buy the relatives commandeer, misplace or trash...

Nightmoss
02-16-2014, 20:43
Hello Jon. Welcome aboard the Anchorage! :salute:

crashx
02-16-2014, 21:56
Welcome aboard Jon!!! :clap::beer:

JonathanE
02-17-2014, 11:15
Thank you all for the warm welcome!
I just received some ships in the mail, so I think I'll check them out!
:happy:

John Paul
02-19-2014, 01:43
Welcome aboard Jon, don't stay up too late! You have the mid-watch! :minis:

Пилот
02-20-2014, 10:08
Welcome :beer:

And good news!

JonathanE
02-22-2014, 11:41
Well, it just seems that I got 4 ships 5 days ago (I did), and I just learned my FLGS has received their Ares Shipment! :happy:
So I (finally) get a Starter Set (instead of having to wait until May)! :clap:
My fleet has just doubled in size in less than one week! :shock::moneygone:
And here I am still learning how to sail :minis::steer::rum:
(not that I endorse drinking and sailing :salute:)

Berthier
02-22-2014, 22:01
Welcome Jon, sounds like the tide is in and your ships have anchored in port. Look forward to seeing some of your graphic works at some point, maybe a cool avatar to begin with?