PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Pittsburgh

Slythex
02-13-2014, 07:52
Just purchased my starter set about 2 weeks ago, and I'm excited to find a new game to get sucked into. I've been looking for a Napoleanic era naval miniature game for quite some time.

One random thought: I have a ton of Pirates of the Spanish Main CCG cards, and they appear to be approximately the same size as the SOG miniatures. Until all the various ship packs are either off backorder, preorder, or finally available, I may try and use these to fill out my fleets/forts.

7eat51
02-13-2014, 08:09
Welcome aboard, John. :salute:

We used Pirates … ships as merchants in an event; they worked really well.

Have you been sucked into Wings of Glory?

Slythex
02-13-2014, 08:21
Never did Wings of Glory. Spent a fair amount of time and money on Axis and Allies miniatures, mostly the land stuff as there wasn't anyone around who did the naval stuff at the time.

Really, though, this is my sweet spot. Big big fan of the Napoleonic War era in general (Yeah, I read Aubrey and Maturin, and Hornblower... but also Bolitho, Kydd, Ramage, Lewrie and a bunch more that aren't coming to me right now). So not only is it gaming, but gaming in my favorite genre, so to speak.

7eat51
02-13-2014, 08:33
Never did Wings of Glory. Spent a fair amount of time and money on Axis and Allies miniatures, mostly the land stuff as there wasn't anyone around who did the naval stuff at the time.

Really, though, this is my sweet spot. Big big fan of the Napoleonic War era in general (Yeah, I read Aubrey and Maturin, and Hornblower... but also Bolitho, Kydd, Ramage, Lewrie and a bunch more that aren't coming to me right now). So not only is it gaming, but gaming in my favorite genre, so to speak.

Great that you found the game and the Anchorage. Really good folks here who know quite a bit and are willing to help; since joining, I feel like I have been in an AoS course.

I started collecting A&A land-based minis, but got in on the tail end, so the collection is not as large and diverse as desired, but I will begin some land-based mini play this spring with what I have - last time was in the '70s with Tractics.

Nightmoss
02-13-2014, 08:51
Greetings John, and welcome to the Anchorage! :salute:

Gunner
02-13-2014, 13:26
Welcome:beer:from Arizona, John.

My son is a diehard Roethlisberger/Steelers fan.

Naharaht
02-13-2014, 15:07
Welcome to the Anchorage, John.

Coog
02-13-2014, 15:42
Welcome aboard John!

Cmmdre
02-13-2014, 18:12
Welcome aboard John. :salute:

Slythex
02-13-2014, 21:19
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I just played my first game this evening. A friend of mine and I started out with the Basic Rules, and it was a lot of fun. Sort of the first stab at working out the rules. It started slow as we tried to figure things out, but got into a groove once we got a feel for how things progressed. I will say maneuvering was pretty difficult, as I wound up both against the wind (red, aback) and collided with a friendly and it was tricky working out of that. Plus the damage was brutal. I think the maneuvering thing will work itself out once I get a better feel for it (basically, you don't want to be too close in formation initially as you limit yourself).

Currently, all I have is the Starter Set, but I saw some of the KS stuff on ebay (I didn't even find out about the game until way too late), in some pretty big bundles. One guy had $499 for an 'Admiral's Pledge' (included the 4 KS ships, all of the SGN101-104 ships, starter set, bunch of mats, terrain, and the like). I'm actually debating getting it. The price is reasonable in general, but it's a big chunk all at once.

Gunner
02-13-2014, 22:39
If it's the same one I saw, he called it an Admirals Pledge, but it's a Captains Pledge.:beer:
For $499 I'd sell one of mine. I doubt if it ever sells for that price.(this year)

Comte de Brueys
02-14-2014, 05:20
Bonjour John.

Welcome on board. :beer:

Berthier
02-14-2014, 22:43
Welcome John, glad to have you on board`and to see you managed to get a starter set. They've sold out and are awaiting a reprint so you have done well.:drinks:

crashx
02-16-2014, 21:44
Welcome aboard John!!! :clap::beer:

Capn Duff
02-18-2014, 12:19
Welcome to you John, from Bristol UK

John Paul
02-19-2014, 01:15
Welcome aboard John! There was another fellow who sold a Captain's Pledge a couple of weeks ago for the same amount ($499), but he offered Free Shipping which made it a decent bargain for who ever got it! Some of the prices on Ebay for SoG items have been very erratic to say the least! :shock:

Пилот
02-20-2014, 10:10
Welcome, John :beer: