PDA

View Full Version : Larboard (Port) and starboard

Anav
12-18-2011, 08:43
The origin of the term starboard comes from early boating practices. Before ships had rudders on their centerlines, they were steered by use of a specialized steering oar. This oar was held by an oarsman located in the stern (back) of the ship. However, like most of society, there were many more right-handed sailors than left-handed sailors. This meant that the steering oar (which had been broadened to provide better control) used to be affixed to the right side of the ship. The word starboard comes from Old English steorbord, literally meaning the side on which the ship is steered, descendant from the Old Norse words stýri meaning "rudder" (from the verb stýra, literally "being at the helm", "having a hand in") and borđ meaning etymologically "board", then the "side of a ship".

An early version of "port" is larboard, which itself derives from Middle-English ladebord via corruption in the 16th century by association with starboard. The term larboard, when shouted in the wind, was presumably too easy to confuse with starboard[1] and so the word port came to replace it. Port is derived from the practice of sailors mooring ships on the left side at ports in order to prevent the steering oar from being crushed.

Larboard continued to be used well into the 1850s by whalers, despite being long superseded by "port" in the merchant vessel service at the time. "Port" was not officially adopted by the Royal Navy until 1844 (Ray Parkin, H. M. Bark Endeavour). Robert FitzRoy, Captain of Darwin's HMS Beagle, is said to have taught his crew to use the term port instead of larboard, thus propelling the use of the word into the Naval Services vocabulary.

Capt P
12-18-2011, 10:35
Sir you are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for this info.

Attila57
12-19-2011, 05:33
Great info! You're publishing a really nice series of posts, Steve.

Attilio

The Cowman
12-21-2011, 13:03
Very Cool... I often wondered about the origins of these words...

Horatio
12-21-2011, 16:32
If I'm thinking of which side of a ship is which I always think Larboard first for Left rather than Port and then Starboard for right.
So the term is not quite dead as far as I'm concerned.
But I am pretty old;)