PDA

View Full Version : THE NEXT PHASE OF MY SECURING SYSTEM

Cpt Kangaroo
02-10-2014, 11:04
Now that I have completed my alternate securing system, I can work on my transporting system. (http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2073-My-solution-to-the-single-peg-mounting-system) So long as I have secured the base, the ship model will not come loose.

As apposed to long term storage options (looking forward to what Keith comes up with...) I need to be able to stage a game, pre setting up the forces involved while at home, then safely transport everything to the game site, ready to place and play. Also, take down and pack up is a lot simpler.

First, I needed to make sure the ships would not come apart, which I have now achieved.

So, to begin with, I have glued rare earth magnets in an offset manner under the ships base.

The depth of the inset under the base is about 3.5mm. The thickness of the magnets I used are 3mm, perfect to allow for the layer of contact adhesive.
As you can see, the magnets are offset, only using 2, which has shown to be more than adequate. Each in opposite corners. My reasoning here is that when two bases are side by side, the magnets will be away from each other and so cannot repel or attract each other. I have also set them back away from the edge to further reduce this affect.

Cpt Kangaroo
02-10-2014, 11:11

Once the magnets are in place, and have allowed them to cure for several days to ensure a solid hold, you are ready to use a metal surface to 'stick' them on.
I found a perfect item, a cookie baking sheet, which is just the right size to put in a plastic box. (The brand I have used this time is Sterilite)

Sheet in box. (Picture to come)

One other thing I did for aesthetics was glue blue felt on the surface. The magnets still have excellent holding, while not locking super hard. Plus it looks very nice. I had to use contact adhesive glue in order to get enough 'stickiness' to hold the felt to the slick no stick surface.
I can now conveniently set up my forces ahead of time and it will have appeal and look organized as I am setting up.

Cpt Kangaroo
02-10-2014, 11:25
I just viewed the thread by Nightmoss. (http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2174-Fun-With-Magnets-Or-All-Your-Base-Are-Belong-to-Us)
We seem to be thinking along similar lines.

How awesome are rare earth magnets!.

:thumbsup:

DeRuyter
02-10-2014, 12:54

The depth of the inset under the base is about 3.5mm. The thickness of the magnets I used are 3mm, perfect to allow for the layer of contact adhesive.
As you can see, the magnets are offset, only using 2, which has shown to be more than adequate. Each in opposite corners. My reasoning here is that when two bases are side by side, the magnets will be away from each other and so cannot repel or attract each other. I have also set them back away from the edge to further reduce this affect.

Cool and I just happen to have a pack of those exact magnets for another project - I got them at Home Depot. I'll have to get more.

:fixit:

Eric

Nightmoss
02-10-2014, 14:24
I just viewed the thread by Nightmoss. (http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2174-Fun-With-Magnets-Or-All-Your-Base-Are-Belong-to-Us)
We seem to be thinking along similar lines.

How awesome are rare earth magnets!.

:thumbsup:

Really excellent idea and implementation, Erin! I like the felt idea also and may well try that when I decide exactly how I'll be storing the ships. :thumbsup:

djbar
02-10-2014, 20:00
Nice system! Thanks for the ideas. Looks like you could even do a Poseidon Adventure scenario!

7eat51
02-10-2014, 20:39
Well done, Erin. The felt is a nice touch.

Have you noticed any issues when the ships approach each other on a playing surface?

Cpt Kangaroo
02-11-2014, 05:27
Eric, the magnets are offset, so they are alway in opposite corners when side by side. Plus I have them set back far enough that even when they are 'magnet to magnet' they are still far enough away they don't grab.