PDA

View Full Version : Points of sailing

KeithS
02-09-2014, 17:25
It's a minor point of nomenclature but on page 9 of the rule book reaching is classed as the green zone with running and beating as the orange zone. Now as I understand it when a ship is running it has the wind directly behind it, reaching occurs when the ship has the wind directly abeam, and beating when the ship is tacking up to the wind. Therefore shouldn't the ship be running in the green zone and reaching/beating in the orange zone. What do people think, is there a misprint?

longagoigo
02-09-2014, 18:11
Now as I understand it when a ship is running it has the wind directly behind it, reaching occurs when the ship has the wind directly abeam, and beating when the ship is tacking up to the wind. Therefore shouldn't the ship be running in the green zone and reaching/beating in the orange zone.

There is an orange zone directly in the back, so isn't that running?

From Wiki: A boat is sailing close hauled (also called beating or working to windward) when its sails are trimmed in tightly and it is sailing as close to the wind as it can without entering the no go zone.

And the orange zone is closest to the red 'no go zone', so, as a non-sailor, is seems OK to me.

KeithS
02-09-2014, 18:29
There is an orange zone directly in the back, so isn't that running?

Yes you're quite right I hadn't spotted the small orange zone directly behind the ship and assumed that the green zone was continuous.:embarass: Now that you have pointed it out it seems obvious and the naming is correct.