PDA

View Full Version : SOG goes to school 2014

PirateBlake
02-08-2014, 18:45
Ahoy Mateys!

This summer I will be hosting a wargaming class using Sails of Glory!

It has been confirmed,

At the St Mary's Hall campus from June 30 to July 3, 12:30pm to 3:00pm.

Middle school aged kids will learn about the age of sail and play SOG. On the last day of class each student will take home their ship and maneuver deck.

It's gonna be cool!

Пилот
02-08-2014, 18:53
That's good advertisise for the game. I hope you'll let us know what happened :thumbsup:

Cmmdre
02-08-2014, 20:09
Real cool. Awesome work Blake. :minis:

Naharaht
02-08-2014, 22:34
Well done, Blake. I hope that it is very successful. :thumbsup:

KeithS
02-09-2014, 01:02
Sounds as though it should be great, is it just SoG or will there be other wargames as well?

Jack Aubrey
02-09-2014, 03:38
Great Idea, have success !

PirateBlake
02-09-2014, 08:16
Ahoy Keith,

I am teaching 18 different wargaming classes 12 on the St Mary's Hall campus and 6 on the Alamo Heights campus. This will be the first SOG class for this program.

Coog
02-09-2014, 08:41
Great project. We need a new generation wargamers.

Nightmoss
02-09-2014, 08:57
Congrats on the project and best of luck recruiting future member of the Anchorage! :salute:

KeithS
02-09-2014, 12:38
Ahoy Keith,

I am teaching 18 different wargaming classes 12 on the St Mary's Hall campus and 6 on the Alamo Heights campus. This will be the first SOG class for this program.

Pretty busy then, have you cloned yourself? :drinks: :happy:

PirateBlake
02-09-2014, 22:52
Ahoy Keith!

I tried cloning but my son doesn't want to teach classes yet, he's intimated :thumbsup:

Classes are not the same weeks, 3 weeks at Alamo Heights, 7 weeks at the Hall. Two classes each day which are a week long each.

KeithS
02-10-2014, 07:02
Ahoy Keith!

I tried cloning but my son doesn't want to teach classes yet, he's intimated :thumbsup:

Classes are not the same weeks, 3 weeks at Alamo Heights, 7 weeks at the Hall. Two classes each day which are a week long each.

Still quite a heavy schedule, but fun though, good luck with it. :hatsoff:

PirateBlake
02-10-2014, 08:12
Aye it tis. But, I am teaching wargaming with miniatures to kiddos for 50days!!! How cool it that? And sometimes I even get to play :happy:

PirateBlake
02-10-2014, 08:29
So now all I have to do is figure out the details of the class.

The maximum number of students in the is 10. Do I do frigates vs frigates or SOL vs SOL or a mix? Remember the kids will take home their ship and if there is a mix of the two types, who gets the SOLs?

My first thought was Frigs vs Frigs and have one SOL per side as an extra that no one took home. But who would run the SOL, the better player on each side or the rules challenged on each side? Or just random draw?

KeithS
02-10-2014, 08:59
So now all I have to do is figure out the details of the class.

The maximum number of students in the is 10. Do I do frigates vs frigates or SOL vs SOL or a mix? Remember the kids will take home their ship and if there is a mix of the two types, who gets the SOLs?

My first thought was Frigs vs Frigs and have one SOL per side as an extra that no one took home. But who would run the SOL, the better player on each side or the rules challenged on each side? Or just random draw?

I would say a random draw, obvious to all, otherwise there might be thoughts of favouritism. I assume that you will be explaining the different ship characteristics, so maybe just include those who want to play with a SoL in the draw, some might prefer to play with their 'own' frigate.

Skullduggery
02-10-2014, 09:18
Ahoy Mateys!

This summer I will be hosting a wargaming class using Sails of Glory!

It has been confirmed,

At the St Mary's Hall campus from June 30 to July 3, 12:30pm to 3:00pm.

Middle school aged kids will learn about the age of sail and play SOG. On the last day of class each student will take home their ship and maneuver deck.

It's gonna be cool!

Hmmm at 48 do I qualify for class. I am a middle aged kid :cheezy:

Beowulf03809
02-10-2014, 10:25
I think this is awesome. Keep us posted on how it goes, what you had for 'curriculum' and any takeaways you have for what you would do different next time.

We're in transition right now but hopefully next year I would like to coordinate with our school's history teachers to offer some wargame "extension learning". Naval actions are hardly touched on by many education programs in the US so some historic scenarios around the AWI with SoG will be really nice. I already have a good Flames of War ( WWII 15mm ) collection where a small group could divide up a couple platoons per student, and I'm just starting to collect 15mm US Civil War (Black Powder). It will all depend on how open the new school system is once we settle in. We have a great relationship with our current school but I just didn't have the bandwidth to take this on this year.

Cpt Kangaroo
02-10-2014, 10:48
And so starts a new generation of gamers, getting off to a great start.

My hat is off to you sir!

The future of gaming is all the more brighter for your efforts!

:thanks::thumbsup::minis:

PirateBlake
02-10-2014, 11:49
Will do Beowulf. Thank you Cpt. Hey Skull, if you can get down here, you and qualify for a class :cheezy:

This is my 19th year of doing wargaming classes during the summer for school kids. I have done some after school programs on a third campus which lasted two years. New admin staff took over and didn't see the value of learning history thru my style of classes. Oh well, their loss :-)

bakblast
03-03-2014, 19:03
My motto has always been "you're only as old as you feel or as young as you act". At 55 I still feel like a seventh grader, can I sign up?:thumbsup:

PirateBlake
03-04-2014, 17:05
Ahoy John, older seventh graders are always welcomed :beer:

Huntron
03-12-2014, 07:51
Hey I am not intimated, I am just not that animated :happy: you keep their attention and keep them involved. I really like being your assistant and can't wait until this class starts. The kids are really going to like it. Heck, I am really going to like it :wink:

PirateBlake
06-30-2014, 23:51
Ahoy mates! Well I was able to get this class off the ground. However, I was not able to purchase ships for the class so the kids will take my KS exclusive frigates and the two from the box set home with them. Then I will buy replacements later this year.

Here are a few pictures from their first game, we were using the basic rules and they were learning how to use the maneuver cards so we had some friendly collisions and entanglements. Here are the photos.

7eat51
07-01-2014, 00:07
Very cool, Blake. :thumbsup:

I hope you can keep up the good work.

Comte de Brueys
07-01-2014, 03:46
Six ships on a single gaming mat with terrain elements.

Looks like a stabbing in a phone box. :wink:

Did the school kids like it?

PirateBlake
07-01-2014, 07:38
The lads are crazy about it. Especially with all the shooting, collisions, entanglements on the single mat!!

PirateBlake
07-01-2014, 07:41
I will have to get another mat at some point :wink: Wednesday I am bring my blue mat I used to use with my metal ships.

Nightmoss
07-01-2014, 08:58
Thanks for the photos and the update. Sounds like it was a good time for all.