PDA

View Full Version : Beware the Kraken

jasperrdm
02-05-2014, 08:37
Beware the Kraken
Players: 3 to 5 player with one player being the kraken.
Extra materials need: 4 smoke clouds labeled 1 -4, 1 regular die /1d6, 1 plush kraken. One copy of ship log of Terpischore.
Game surface : one game mat. Wind is from the East. Fleet is place on South side and must exit the North side.
Fleet players : the Courageuse, Genereux, Terpischore, and Defence within half-ruler distance from the south. Fleet places first.
Kraken player: Places a smoke cloud anywhere on the board with following exceptions. Clouds are at least a C\D range from any edge. No closer to any ship by C\D range. No closer to any cloud by C\D range.
Winning Conditions: Fleet must kill the Kraken and exit North side with all 4 ships to win. Kraken must survive and cause one ship to surrender or disengage to win.
Rules for fleet: Basic.
Rules for Kraken:
After both sides finish the starting placement, Kraken player rolls a 1d6 ignoring 5 and 6. The result will be which cloud the kraken is under.
When a ship enters by C\D range of cloud, the cloud is removed. If the cloud has the kraken under it, the kraken is place on the board and the rest of clouds removed. The kraken does not move.
The Kraken can attack all ships within range with full broadsides and does not need to reload.
At C\D range, the kraken does “A” damage .
If the ship’s base is touching a tentacle, the kraken does “B” and “E” damage.
If the ship’s base is touching the head, the kraken does “A” and “B” and “E” damage.

PS Kraken is not shown because the kitten stole it back and hid it.

Nightmoss
02-05-2014, 09:42
Have you tried this yet? Sounds like a lot of fun as an introductory game, especially for new players and/or young ones? Thanks!

Gunner Godson
02-06-2014, 08:34
Is there an obligation to shout "Release the Kraken!" at every opportunity?

This sounds like a great scenario to play, and if I may, I'd love to try it at my FLGS with your permission.

jasperrdm
02-06-2014, 08:52
Only when it is release. Go for it and take pictures. I can't play until I find where the kitten hid his toy. The kitten is not big on sharing.

Gunner Godson
02-06-2014, 08:59
I may have to substitute the Kraken with a Cthulhu to start, but I shall endeavour to get pictures :beer:

Пилот
02-09-2014, 19:59
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn...!

Scenario sounds fun! I could use Kraken from Pirates :Arrrr:

Jack Aubrey
02-09-2014, 23:14
Yes, I have many things from the game "Pirates of the...", and the Kraken and the others are perfect to use in SoG :thumbsup:

csadn
02-10-2014, 16:44
Just don't bring this to the table: http://sharkcityozark.com/ultimate-bruce-shark-maquette.html ....

Andy Blozinski
02-10-2014, 20:14
Just don't bring this to the table: http://sharkcityozark.com/ultimate-bruce-shark-maquette.html ....

That was looking good, until I saw the price.

Diamondback
02-10-2014, 20:19
Guess I better make sure Chris never sees my collection of plush sharks... lol

7eat51
02-10-2014, 20:34
This looks like a kraken good time. Neat idea. :thumbsup:

Пилот
02-11-2014, 02:16
We played Pirates on Saturday, 6 of us, including two kids. And it was fun, including sea monsters (this part made one of my friends particulary happy :happy: ) . We also changed playing order, by rolling dice each turn. Also, we rolled for wind strength each turn. It was fun, specialy when you add the fact there was plenty of good grog :rum:

csadn
02-11-2014, 18:14
Guess I better make sure Chris never sees my collection of plush sharks... lol

Depends on how detailed they are -- the better the accuracy, the more likely they'll trigger me.

Naharaht
02-11-2014, 20:14
How big is your Kraken, please?

jasperrdm
02-12-2014, 09:01
Still looking for it as the kitten is hiding it. The head is about the size of small cat ball under 2 inches in dia. Tentacles are no more than 10 inches all the across. More than likely 8 inches across. So you could do a 8 inch diameter circle.
edit. the kitten dragged back into the living room. It is red and white plush octopus. Tentacles are 9.5 inches across. So if I have the range ruler right. The kraken range is a circle of about a game mat.
end edit.

Gunner Godson
02-12-2014, 09:25
How big is your Kraken, please?

Ooh-er missus, that's a bit personal isn't it :wink:

jasperrdm
02-12-2014, 09:29
Oh is she blows

Naharaht
02-12-2014, 21:49
Of course, you may prefer to release this Kraken.
8990 :rum:

7eat51
02-12-2014, 21:56
Of course, you may prefer to release this Kraken.

Now that seems most appropriate for this site.

Пилот
02-14-2014, 15:25
Me like this Kraken :Arrrr:

Naharaht
03-09-2014, 00:27
Here is a more decorative bottle.

Diamondback
03-09-2014, 12:27
I still have nightmares about somebody putting a duck on the table and shouting "Release the QUACKin'!" O.O

Clipper1701
03-09-2014, 13:11
I have just the duck and will be gathering info for its base . . . ultimate maneuverability in spite of wind direction as well. . . didn't they call these "Q-Ships" in later wars? : )

Diamondback
03-09-2014, 13:37
http://picardfacepalm.com/picard-facepalm.jpg

csadn
03-09-2014, 16:17
http://picardfacepalm.com/picard-facepalm.jpg

You Brought This On Yourself. >:)

Naharaht
03-09-2014, 19:00
A Q-ship was an innocent looking merchantman carrying lots of weapons disguised, for example, as deck cargo. When a U-boat surfaced to sink it with its deck guns, the concealed weapons would be revealed and used to try to sink the U-boat. This dates from WW1. The Q stands for the Latin word 'Quietus', which means 'sleeping'.

I have often thought that they should be used against the modern East African pirates.

Diamondback
03-09-2014, 19:09
We actually discussed ideas for how to do that on another board where I'm a member... I'd forward links, but since it's a shooting forum I'm not sure how well received it'd be.

csadn
03-10-2014, 14:50
We actually discussed ideas for how to do that on another board where I'm a member... I'd forward links, but since it's a shooting forum I'm not sure how well received it'd be.

You're not the only one. The best idea I've seen so far makes an appearance (of sorts) in Tom Kratman's _Countdown: H-Hour_ -- it's *amazing* how much stuff can be concealed in the containers of a container ship (to include "mini-COIN" aircraft).... >:)

Naharaht
03-28-2014, 19:25
Just make sure that you don't enter an Indian port with your concealed weapons on board.

Diamondback
03-28-2014, 20:05
David, that's what having a tender you can offload the "Special Cargo" onto is for.

Or you cut a deal with the right person in the Indian .GOV to get a "Not Too Close Look-Over"... or have someone in their military going to bat for you like the Oregon crew in Clive Cussler's novels. :)

"There is ALWAYS a way in..."--Chinese Hacker, Command & Conquer: Generals and Zero Hour

csadn
03-29-2014, 15:14
David, that's what having a tender you can offload the "Special Cargo" onto is for.

Or you cut a deal with the right person in the Indian .GOV to get a "Not Too Close Look-Over"... or have someone in their military going to bat for you like the Oregon crew in Clive Cussler's novels. :)

"There is ALWAYS a way in..."--Chinese Hacker, Command & Conquer: Generals and Zero Hour

The Three Bs, pretty much -- Bulls***, Bribes, and Bullets.

BS: Don't look like you have anything untoward aboard, and don't look or act like you're hiding something -- furtive attracts attention.

Bribes: Most gov't types at the pointy end aren't well paid -- you figure it out.

Bullets: "Gold, or lead, amigo...." >:)