PDA

View Full Version : HMS Victory

mdavis41
02-03-2014, 19:38

I have posted some photos of the real HMS Victory which readers may find useful in detailing their Ares models.
Please enjoy them at:

http://horseandmusket2.blogspot.com/2014/02/hms-victory.html

7eat51
02-03-2014, 19:51
Fantastic, Michael. What a beautiful ship. You have actually increased my appreciation of her in terms of aesthetics and impressiveness of appearance.

You mentioned you were able to take pictures that normally wouldn't have happened. Is that due to permission to roam, or due to the lack of other visitors giving you more time and space to take pictures?

Thanks for sharing.

mdavis41
02-03-2014, 20:23
There were very few visitors on this August Monday. Normally their are long queues and people everywhere. We had the ship almost to ourselves. Very few areas were roped off and restricted, including the Orlop, Magazines and Cockpit. We were allowed to take pictures everywhere including the Captain's Day Cabin. There was no construction within the ship. The gun decks were fully gunned. I have been visiting HMS Victory since a very small boy as my Grandparents lived in Portsmouth. I have lived in California since 1976 and still miss Pompey and the Dockyard. A must-see.

Nightmoss
02-03-2014, 20:45
Michael, thanks for the photos. Awesome!!

7eat51
02-03-2014, 21:04
There were very few visitors on this August Monday. Normally their are long queues and people everywhere. We had the ship almost to ourselves. Very few areas were roped off and restricted, including the Orlop, Magazines and Cockpit. We were allowed to take pictures everywhere including the Captain's Day Cabin. There was no construction within the ship. The gun decks were fully gunned. I have been visiting HMS Victory since a very small boy as my Grandparents lived in Portsmouth. I have lived in California since 1976 and still miss Pompey and the Dockyard. A must-see.

Very cool experience. I am glad for you that you had such an exclusive time.

Coog
02-03-2014, 21:12
Nice photos and a good sorce for reference. Thanks for posting.

David Manley
02-03-2014, 21:59
Excellent pictures, thanks for sharing. One of the first ships I worked on when I was a trainee constructor in Portsmouth was the Victory (not, I hasten to add, in Nelson's time!). happy days!

John Paul
02-04-2014, 02:28
The one and only time I got to make a port of call in Portsmouth was only about a year before I retired from the USN. We pulled in on a Friday, and of course I had the duty. So After turnover on Saturday morning it was off to see Victory and the museum! Naturally, it happened to be the same day the Queen made her annual harbor cruise and tour of the Victory! We barely got half way around the main deck when the word came she was arriving earlier then expected. So we were all rushed off to stand behind the roped off area until after her arrival. I thought I would take in the museum while she was aboard the Victory, but unfortunately the museum was closed for the occasion! I did manage to get a few pictures of the ship, and of course a few members of the Royal family, but I never really was able to forgive her Majesty for messing up my only visit to the mother country!!:sad:

Berthier
02-04-2014, 05:06
Excellent images takes me back to my visit in the mid 80's, must post some pics too.

KeithS
02-04-2014, 06:57
An excellent set of pictures, it will be interesting to compare the model to them when it arrives. They also take me back, I used to work in Portsmouth and often used to go for a walk in my lunch hour and have a look at HMS Victory.

Beowulf03809
02-04-2014, 09:25
Beautiful. Thanks for posting.

My wife and I had a great experience visiting Constitution in Boston a number of years ago (before children). We got on the ship near the end of the day, middle of the week, when most people were leaving. We are both ex-AF that worked closely with Navy in our job (supporting JCS) and got chatting with the Navy folks working the ship. They let us hang around a little after 'closing' and even help polish some brass. It was nice to be there and be hands-on. We were down in the city for business and didn't have a camera with us (yeah...there was a day before phones had cameras...and before most of us even carried phones), but they did let us bring home a couple cases of spent brass from the small cannon they fire off at the end of the day.

:rum:

Пилот
02-04-2014, 10:46
Very nice pics. Thanks for sharing!

DeRuyter
02-04-2014, 11:07
Very nice photos! Thanks! Good shot of the "smasher" carronade.

I was in London the weekend prior, but never made it down to Portsmouth. Of course that Saturday we were at the Arsenal game on opening day of the BPL season! Now that I see a fully rigged Victory with few crowds I am regretting not going down. I did make it to Greenwich and saw the Cutty Sark and National Maritime Museum.

Eric

Wartrain
02-06-2014, 05:07
Excellent pictures, thanks for sharing