PDA

View Full Version : Congreve Rockets Help

Gunner Godson
02-03-2014, 04:16
Ok so simply put I really want to add the use of rockets to my ships as I have a personal love of the history of the Congreve Rocket, and I know they were used initially to a not so great a degree, but what would you guys think to their use?

I planned to use grape shot damage but with a long range, but I thought I'd ask you intelligent sea faring sorts first; so please add, comment and constructively criticize.

Cheers

Tom

Berthier
02-03-2014, 05:18
I would have thought fire damage more likely, but their I accuracy was such that the probability of hitting a specific target was pretty low. I know they were used at Walcheren 1809 during the ill fated invasion, I think Cochrane might have had them on his raids of the French coast and there was a troop at the Battle of Leipzig but they had no impact. They seem to have been used as a terror weapon to some extent, an area bombardment weapon and obviously signal rockets were in common use but they were quite different. The Rockets Red Glare of 1812 were Congreve as well?

Anyway I think against shore installations or ships at anchor rules could be easily developed to go along with bomb vessel rules.

Gunner Godson
02-03-2014, 06:32
That was the idea, accuracy at targets moving at any speed other than "not" wouldn't work; however at static enemies I thought that the grape shot rules would represent the lower levels of damage.

fredmiracle
02-03-2014, 06:51
pick three A chits, and if they are all the same (and non-zero), then you hit the target and do that much damage :happy:

Gunner Godson
02-03-2014, 06:54
Actually sounds pretty fun!