PDA

View Full Version : Basic Rules: Veer Number on Maneuver Cards

John Paul
02-03-2014, 01:34
Played our first game yesterday, and naturally the first question that came up that the rules don't cover. If the Veer Number on the Maneuver Card is higher then the Ships Veer Number can that card still be used to maneuver the ship? Again this is for the Basic Rules Only!! :question: :shock: :dazed: :hmmm:

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Пилот
02-03-2014, 02:04
Veer is introduced in Standard Rules. And it's not mentioned in Basic Rules. So, if you play by Basic Rules, there's no limitation for movement.

Beowulf03809
02-03-2014, 09:24
When you do use it, don't panic. It's not nearly as complex as it may seem at first.

Your ship has a maneuver rating. The difference between the Veer Numbers on the current and planned card cannot be greater than your Maneuver Rating for that ship. If your rating is 5, for example, you can't go from a hard left turn ( Veer 2 ) directly to a hard right turn ( Veer 8 ). You would have to pick a card with a Veer no greater than 7 first.

You will find that it's almost a non-issue for Frigates and even our Third Rates don't have to worry unless you're doing extreme changes. I think it will be more of a factor in games that start using special damage.

:rum:

John Paul
02-04-2014, 01:27
Veer is introduced in Standard Rules. And it's not mentioned in Basic Rules. So, if you play by Basic Rules, there's no limitation for movement.

That's what I thought having read through the rules a couple of times before the game. I had two pretty experienced WoW players in the game at the time and they raised a concern about it during the course of the game. I just explained that the Basic rules don't make an issue of it, but that it does come into play with the Standard and Advanced rules.

Пилот
02-04-2014, 02:23
And you were right. Basics are just prelude to the game, so rules there are still simple and rough.