PDA

View Full Version : My treasure chest - carrying case

Mr Roberts
01-29-2014, 16:42
I found a way to haul my SGN game and all of the extras to the different places I like playing it.

Berthier
01-29-2014, 18:20
Very clever Andy, are the ships held in place or just sited into the cutouts?

Mr Roberts
01-29-2014, 18:47
Very clever Andy, are the ships held in place or just sited into the cutouts?

The ship are just sitting in the spaces that I cut for them. They're snug but not tight and seem to hold well.

Nightmoss
01-29-2014, 18:50
Very nice, Andy! AND you have room for 4 more ships!! :happy:

Cpt Kangaroo
01-29-2014, 20:55
Andy, this looks very handy. May I ask what are the boxes from?

I would make one suggestion, as I have seen these 'Box Latches' come loose, use some sort of strap as a safeguard.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

7eat51
01-29-2014, 21:22
I like the cutout sheet you have for the ships - nicely done.

The Royal Hajj
01-30-2014, 07:16
Looks good. What keeps the top layer from tipping and sliding down on top of the ships?

Mr Roberts
01-30-2014, 08:24
Andy, this looks very handy. May I ask what are the boxes from?

I would make one suggestion, as I have seen these 'Box Latches' come loose, use some sort of strap as a safeguard.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

The carrying case is a Snap-n-Stack Christmas ornament storage case that I found at Wallie-World (Wal-mart). It comes with three layers but mine was missing the bottom most so I got it for $3. I have found the complete container at this site: http://www.amazon.com/Stack-Seasonal-Ornament-Square-Layer/dp/B005PQAJIC for $44.

The side latch snaps on to the top layer pretty snug like. I tried to shake them loose before I put anything in it and i could no do so. having said that I might consider a small lite strap to be on the safe side.

Mr Roberts
01-30-2014, 08:29
Looks good. What keeps the top layer from tipping and sliding down on top of the ships?

The bottom layer has a grove around the top edge that the top layer sit into. The groves go all the way around and it is almost impossible to push the top layer into the bottom layer.

With all of the ship I still need to get from the first release and more coming from the second wave I plan on purchasing a complete container so that I can add on a few more layers.

7eat51
01-30-2014, 08:31
I looked at a similar case at JoAnns in their after Christmas sale. I didn't buy because I was concerned about the durability and effectiveness of the latches. I echo the advice about using some form of strap. You have a great setup there; it would be a drag if it came apart while transporting, especially since the handle on top makes for ease of carrying.

Mr Roberts
01-30-2014, 08:43
I looked at a similar case at JoAnns in their after Christmas sale. I didn't buy because I was concerned about the durability and effectiveness of the latches. I echo the advice about using some form of strap. You have a great setup there; it would be a drag if it came apart while transporting, especially since the handle on top makes for ease of carrying.

I looked over some other cases and the holding snaps on this one were the better of the ones I saw. I will be looking into a strap type of security for this once I get the other layers added to it just to be on the safe side.

I'd hate for my ships to sink because I didn't properly batten down my hatches.:shock:

7eat51
01-30-2014, 09:01
I bought the following case from JoAnn Fabrics for storing card decks for WoG. Each slot holds one type of deck, with multiple copies in each. It makes it quite easy to find what I want. One of the big sellers for me was the latches. JoAnn has sales all the time, and their online store is great. I am becoming such a regular, that I am thinking about trying our for Project Runway. O.K., maybe not. But since I started to play WoG and SoG, I am excited to go to fabric stores. War - fabric stores. The math doesn't quite add up.

http://www.joann.com/artbin-super-satchel-box-with-removable-dividers-9007ab/9059049.html#prefn1=isProject&start=8&q=artbin&sz=54&prefv1=false

John Paul
01-30-2014, 22:23
Every time my wife says, "I'm going to JoAnn Fabrics!" My immediate response is; "I'll go with you!" Just never know what I'll find I can use it's a great little game store!!

John Paul
01-30-2014, 22:36
Andy,

Did you use Foam Core to hold the ships? How did you tack it to the bottom of the case, so they don't bounce?

KeithS
01-31-2014, 06:26
I have a chest that I have had for a while, which I just use for holding bits and pieces of stationary and game stuff. I was wondering if it is worth converting it to hold SoG stuff, or if it would be going a bit OTT with theme.

7eat51
01-31-2014, 07:33
Convert it. If not, feel free to send it to me. It's awesome, and it's screaming, "Fill me with ships."

Cmmdre
01-31-2014, 08:00
I have a chest that I have had for a while, which I just use for holding bits and pieces of stationary and game stuff. I was wondering if it is worth converting it to hold SoG stuff, or if it would be going a bit OTT with theme.

Convert it. If not, feel free to send it to me. It's awesome, and it's screaming, "Fill me with ships."

I agree with Eric on this one Keith. FILL IT WITH SHIPS MAN!

DeRuyter
01-31-2014, 08:11
I found a way to haul my SGN game and all of the extras to the different places I like playing it.

Where did you get the colored cubes? Looks like you have the damage chits in them. Also at WM?

I like this set up. I have a much smaller version of a stackable box to hold extra WGF pieces that don't fit in my KR cases and it works well.

You could also magnetize the stands and put sheet steel on the bottom to hold the ships.

Пилот
01-31-2014, 08:59
Well done, Mr Roberts! :beer:

The Royal Hajj
01-31-2014, 09:27
Here's what I'm thinking to store my ships in:

:beer:

KeithS
01-31-2014, 09:31

I agree with Eric on this one Keith. FILL IT WITH SHIPS MAN!

Fair enough:happy::salute: I will look into it, main problem is going to be sorting out a way to keep the ships stable and free from damage.

Nightmoss
01-31-2014, 12:03
Keith, your storage plan certainly will raise some eyebrows at convention!? Good luck finding a big enough cork to stop the top!? lol.

The Royal Hajj
01-31-2014, 13:27
Keith, your storage plan certainly will raise some eyebrows at convention!? Good luck finding a big enough cork to stop the top!? lol.

Way ahead of you buddy...

And I'm going to name my first repaint Le Génie

Nightmoss
01-31-2014, 14:20
Way ahead of you buddy...

And I'm going to name my first repaint Le Génie

LOL. I'm in awe of your planning ahead. Awesome!!

Mr Roberts
01-31-2014, 14:27
Andy,

Did you use Foam Core to hold the ships? How did you tack it to the bottom of the case, so they don't bounce?

Paul,

I used white Elmer's glue set several phone books on it for about 5 hours. I probably didn't need to have it sit there that long but I got side tracked.

Andy

Mr Roberts
01-31-2014, 14:34
Where did you get the colored cubes? Looks like you have the damage chits in them. Also at WM?

I like this set up. I have a much smaller version of a stackable box to hold extra WGF pieces that don't fit in my KR cases and it works well.

You could also magnetize the stands and put sheet steel on the bottom to hold the ships.

I got the colored cubes in a four pack at my local Publix for $3.50 a pack. I'm really surprised how well the foam board holds the ships, but if needed I can pin a piece of card stock with thumb tacks to hold them better.

Andy

7eat51
01-31-2014, 23:07
Keith, I think you have found the complementary SoG eye-candy to the WoG Zeppelin.

Off to listen to Jim Croce.