PDA

View Full Version : Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Anav
12-16-2011, 12:11
Right now watching Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
what a good movie.

Capt P
12-16-2011, 15:46
Excellent movie. I have to put it in tomorrow.

Old Salt
12-16-2011, 16:29
A great one enjoyed many times

Capt P
12-16-2011, 16:41
Very realistic. There was a show on History Channel about the movie and how close it was to real. The show showed it was abouot as good you get.

Berthier
12-16-2011, 20:19
Really good, especially the first battle scene.

David Manley
12-16-2011, 22:49
British Airways used to have this as a regular on their transatlantic flights (they may still do) and i've often watched this in preference to whatever latest "blockbuster" effort has been showing. Yes, the opening scenes are terrific, but the rest of the film is an excellent portrayal of many aspects of life and death at sea in the age of sail. Its a real shame the film wasn't enough of a commercial success for them to have made more.But then again, given the hit and miss ability of the film industry to generate sequels that live up to the quality of the first movie, perhaps it is OK that this one sits as a jewel in its own right.

Capt P
12-17-2011, 14:06
The way it ended there should have been #2 by now. I hoped there would be but has been so long I don't think there will as it has been so long since the first one.

csadn
12-17-2011, 19:58
The way it ended there should have been #2 by now. I hoped there would be but has been so long I don't think there will as it has been so long since the first one.

I don't think it did quite well enough in the theatres to justify a second movie, esp. given how expensive Sea Epics are.

There's always anime.... :)

Berthier
12-17-2011, 20:31
The movie was quite long and had periods where little "action" was happening, thus perhaps not engaging many who had been brought up on "Gladiator" , "Troy" and other historical dramas where the action was non stop.

The cinematography was superb and the film had an almost arthouse feel to it that again may have made it less accessible to the general movie goer.

Finally, I don't think it was actually the best of O'brien's books to start with if they though there might be sequels. Some of his other volumes probably had more storyline to entertain the general public.

The Cowman
12-17-2011, 20:37
Need to find a copy of that and watch it again!

Capt P
12-18-2011, 06:49
I guess people into things like this wold want a sequel for no other reason then another good sea movie.

frpat
12-27-2011, 17:21
Well, as it was mainly an amalgam of 2 of his books, with bits of others thrown in, so not really likely to do sequels. I seem to remember reading that Rusty might have been interested, but acknowledged that there probably wasn't a real market.

BUT - a damned fine film - and I loved the way that rounshot actually punched through the bulwarks, rather than the silly Hollweird explosions of other sea epics.

Might have gotten more recognition if it hadn't been competing with Return of the King for the Ac Awards that year.

The movie was quite long and had periods where little "action" was happening, thus perhaps not engaging many who had been brought up on "Gladiator" , "Troy" and other historical dramas where the action was non stop.

The cinematography was superb and the film had an almost arthouse feel to it that again may have made it less accessible to the general movie goer.

Finally, I don't think it was actually the best of O'brien's books to start with if they though there might be sequels. Some of his other volumes probably had more storyline to entertain the general public.