PDA

View Full Version : Ares has released details of the second wave of ships.

Naharaht
01-27-2014, 13:39
Ares sent out an e-mail today withthe details of the second wave of ships. You can see them on the Ares website.
http://www.aresgames.eu/games/sails-of-glory-line/sails-of-glory-ship-packs

Пилот
01-27-2014, 14:45
Guys, you definitely decided to drain me out... Well, never mind... At least I'll have ships to play with in my cardboard box... :happy:

Coog
01-27-2014, 15:02
Guys, you definitely decided to drain me out... Well, never mind... At least I'll have ships to play with in my cardboard box... :happy:

The trick is to order enough stuff so that the box is big enough.:happy:

Пилот
01-27-2014, 15:08
Hmmm... That raises question of second box :happy:

Comte de Brueys
01-27-2014, 23:45
Look at this beauty - this is my flagship! :clap:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8742&d=1390891495

John Paul
01-28-2014, 00:07
Nothing is more beautiful cruising through the water, or across the gaming table then a triple decker!!

With some proper rigging these just scream; "Let me at 'em"!! :hatsoff:

Can't wait till these hit the shelves!

Berthier
01-28-2014, 03:03
Look at this beauty - this is my flagship! :clap:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8742&d=1390891495

And she's a pretty thing too. :thumbsup:

Hobbes
01-28-2014, 04:47
MY wife just gave me "the look" when she saw hoq many ships I ordered. Think I have to sneak the new ships in. Having a (some) first rate is a must, althoughI think that the new frigates and the sloops will make for more interesting scenarios.

taipan
01-28-2014, 05:10
is it just me or did i read the ares page wrong? are they going to offer the kickstarter ships now? or are these different than the "real" kickstarter ships

longagoigo
01-28-2014, 06:39
is it just me or did i read the ares page wrong? are they going to offer the kickstarter ships now? or are these different than the "real" kickstarter ships

I'm not sure. How did you read: "Four ships in the first wave of Sails of Glory were available exclusively to the game backers on Kickstarter"?

fredmiracle
01-28-2014, 07:03
MY wife just gave me "the look" when she saw hoq many ships I ordered. Think I have to sneak the new ships in. Having a (some) first rate is a must, althoughI think that the new frigates and the sloops will make for more interesting scenarios.

So... the sweet spot for this wave is a big enough box that you can live in when your house is foreclosed, yet at the same time small enough that your spouse doesn't notice it. No problem...

csadn
01-28-2014, 14:41
<- hums a few bars of "Fat-Bottomed Girls"

Bellerophon
01-28-2014, 22:31
Ooooooo The L'Orient is a pretty pretty one. And Royal Sovereign!

Пилот
01-30-2014, 06:39
Bigger ships bring more guns :cannonboom:

csadn
01-30-2014, 16:40
Bigger ships bring more guns :cannonboom:

It's not the number of guns -- it's how one uses them. >;)

Diamondback
01-30-2014, 17:08
Bigger ship = bigger powder magazine = bigger BOOOM! lol

Man, that L'Orient is a beauty... really makes me want some Fireship rules to get some real fireworks going. O.O :D

Comte de Brueys
01-30-2014, 18:00
A fireship like HMS Bellerophon? :question:

Bellerophon
01-30-2014, 19:05
A fireship like HMS Bellerophon? :question:

Careful there, monsieur

kelsith
01-30-2014, 19:29
After looking at L'Orient doesn't this just look tiny.

So when does the how many of these does it take to take out a Ocean Class begin

Andy Blozinski
01-30-2014, 20:06
After looking at L'Orient doesn't this just look tiny.

So when does the how many of these does it take to take out a Ocean Class begin

It's like a King Tiger tank. It may kill something with every shot, but it's still only one cannon.

fredmiracle
01-30-2014, 22:49
It's like a King Tiger tank. It may kill something with every shot, but it's still only one cannon.

We were having that discussion in the context of my point system proposal, which had suggested 7 Amazons, each with untrained gunners and untrained sailors, would be equal to one SOL.

I agreed this suggested a problem in the values, since it does seem apparent that 7 Amazons would take out an SOL, even with a shot every 3 turns and an action going astray every so often. The Amazons have a pretty good broadside for the first box or two, and they should be able to wear down the SOLs crew if nothing else.

I think maybe I just deducted too many points for the "untrained" status. But it does raise a question of whether, at some point, a linear point system will always break down, because there's a multiplicative effect of more hulls.

Of course logic dictates you would need quite a few sloops to take down a first rate. Presumably the sloops will have 7 boxes with 1 point each. If the first-rates have a broadside of 8 or so, then an A range shot should on average take out 4 boxes, leaving the sloop in pretty rough shape. A lucky shot will sink it. A B shot should do 6 boxes on average, leaving it pretty much toast.

On the flip side, the first-rates will probably have 10 boxes of 6 points each. The sloops will probably have an initial broadside of 2. If you can get a shot off with 4 or 5, then should probably have knocked a box off, and maybe started another. It seems like maybe 8-10 sloops could stand a chance against a 1st rater. (This is starting to sound like Ogre)

Just managing that many sloops would be challenging, without having them collide or miss chances to fire. It would be pretty much impossible to avoid giving the SOL the chance to work both broadsides constantly. On the plus side, somebody should always have a raking angle...

Пилот
01-31-2014, 06:15
It's not the number of guns -- it's how one uses them. >;)
Excuses, excuses... Size does matter :shootright:

csadn
01-31-2014, 15:37
Excuses, excuses... Size does matter :shootright:

_Santissima Trinidad_ says "You're wrong". ;)

Пилот
01-31-2014, 21:08
No hablo Espaņol :takecover:

csadn
02-01-2014, 17:04
No hablo Espaņol :takecover:

130-gun Spanish ship -- defeated by smaller, but better-handled, ships. :)

Пилот
02-02-2014, 13:35
I now that, just kidding :happy: