PDA

View Full Version : Mats you use

Nightbomber
01-27-2014, 12:18
Could you advise me on mats to use, mates, please?
What mats you use for SOG? Are the official mats available? Where?
Do you use any homemade ones?
Any ideas?

The Royal Hajj
01-27-2014, 12:32
Hi Andy,

I of course use the official mats.... but I actually really do like them. If you like the Wings versions, you will like these just as much. I carry them in the AA store as well. They are showing as out of stock now, but I have a delivery schedule to arrive tomorrow that I'm hoping has them in it (I had two orders go missing just after Christmas, one SGN and one Wings).

Nightbomber
01-27-2014, 12:42
Thanks Keith,
first of all thanks for the AA WOG/WGS bases - they arrived today :thumbsup:
I will check your stocks of course, but the grid lines are not what I like to see... No matter. There is time to decide. I thought about printing a plane sea (real?) photo mat on vinyl without any islands and stuff. Just some waves to get a feel of vastness of water. The second goal of mine is to adjust the bases colors to the mat, to make the thick bases less visible.

If any of you guys have a good res dark sea photo file, I'd be glad to get one:)

Пилот
01-27-2014, 12:45
My table at home is to big for one mat, and to small for two mats. So, I use blue cloth.

I'm also planning to make 3D islands and reefs. Shoals will probably stay original.

I believe Nightmoss scouted Google Earth Carrebean Maps, and he made very nice Base Card for Black Pearl. Maybe Google Earth is good way to go?

The Royal Hajj
01-27-2014, 12:54
Andy, I don't think the base thickness is going to be an issue for you once you get them in hand and play 2 games. You honestly don't even notice them.... except for they are easier to pick up.

As for the grids, again you don't really notice them when viewing the game, but they really do make checking your attitude to the wind much easier. If I had the option of with or with out grids, I'd chose grid ;)

Пилот
01-27-2014, 14:15
Grids seem to be good choice, having in mind attitude. Visualy they contribute that mat looks more like map, which actually isn't bad at all.

Nightbomber
01-27-2014, 14:29
Thanks for the comments, chaps:) Ha, I feel I will end up getting the official mats:D

Nightbomber
01-27-2014, 14:50
Another question mates: Is one official mat large enough for "small engagements" kinda play (up to 4 - 6 ships total)? Are the mats the same size as official WoG mats?

Пилот
01-27-2014, 15:24
If I remmember well (and I can be wrong) someone measured mats, and sems they are 39 x 26 inches.

Gunner
01-27-2014, 15:34
Another question mates: Is one official mat large enough for "small engagements" kinda play (up to 4 - 6 ships total)? Are the mats the same size as official WoG mats?

For 6 ships I use at least two mats.(I hate collisions).
They are the same size as WoG mats. You could even use the WoG Coast mat along side the SGN mat.

The Royal Hajj
01-27-2014, 15:52
Yes, same size and I would only use one mat for a 1 on 1 game. Two mats are really needed for room to maneuver.

7eat51
01-27-2014, 15:52
One thing to consider is that once you place islands, etc., the map shrinks. Unlike WoG, clouds and such do not impede movement.

If space becomes an issue, an inexpensive backup is blue felt. Though I have the official mats, I wouldn't hesitate using blue felt if need be.

Nightbomber
01-27-2014, 16:51
Thanks very much, mates:)

Andy Blozinski
01-27-2014, 20:28
The official Sails of Glory mats are badass. They are, literally, huge mouse pads. They have a traction backing so they do not move when you brush them or bump them. The lines are great for keeping your wind direction marker properly aligned.

Naharaht
01-29-2014, 20:00
Has anyone tried using several blue carpet tiles as a playing mat?

Gunner
01-29-2014, 20:10
Don't use a shag rug. Tried it in the seventies, and am still looking for the ships.:wink:

Tommy Z
01-29-2014, 20:10
Andy, I don't think the base thickness is going to be an issue for you once you get them in hand and play 2 games. You honestly don't even notice them.... except for they are easier to pick up.

As for the grids, again you don't really notice them when viewing the game, but they really do make checking your attitude to the wind much easier. If I had the option of with or with out grids, I'd chose grid ;)

After playing a few games I agree that the bases disappear. I like the grid lines as a useful tool for checking attitude, it also helps when playing solo games to allow me to re-position the ships away from the edge.

I visited Cappy Tom & the guys a week or so ago & we had a 4 v 4 battle on three mats. Remember to start upwind and give yourself room.

BRIAN DUNBAR
01-29-2014, 22:12
My daughter and I have two SOG mats. They are really nice to play on because of the grid lines. It helps my daughter who is 7 move the attitude marker around. Two mats cover the entire kitchen table and hang over a little to show the water does spil over at the edge of the world since it is indeed flat.

7eat51
01-29-2014, 22:18
She's playing at 7?

Cmmdre
01-30-2014, 00:13
My daughter and I have two SOG mats. They are really nice to play on because of the grid lines. It helps my daughter who is 7 move the attitude marker around. Two mats cover the entire kitchen table and hang over a little to show the water does spil over at the edge of the world since it is indeed flat.

That's great Brian. My daughter is 8 and loves to play.

BRIAN DUNBAR
01-30-2014, 00:21
We started WOW this last fall when she was still six and the idea is about the same. So far we have only been working on moving since we still don't have our starter set from miniature market. The token bags are still holding up our order.

Gunner
01-30-2014, 01:11
We started WOW this last fall when she was still six and the idea is about the same. So far we have only been working on moving since we still don't have our starter set from miniature market. The token bags are still holding up our order.

You're in luck. The damage counter bags show in stock at Min.Market

fredmiracle
01-30-2014, 02:12
My older son and I started "playing" the Axis and Allies naval miniatures when he was 4. At that time the ships liked to all clump together, and didn't want to obey speed limits or natural laws, preferring to teleport to wherever they were needed. Also your fleet was not complete if there was still a big battleship left in the box. But he sure was excited when he got roll a handful (ok, two handfulls) of 15 dice.

Over time he's gotten the hang of new elements. He still not all that strong a competitive player, that's not really his thing although he's been doing more the last year or two. What he really likes is playing out historical and historically-inspired scenarios and seeing what happens. We've gotten to where we play mammoth campaigns. Last summer we commandeered some extra space, set out the A&A boardgame as our campaign environment and played out the whole war, with all the naval battles being done as miniatures battles.

You just gotta go with what they're interested in, and maybe give them a gentle nudge toward what you like to do from time to time. Some years he's been more into it than others. Over the last year or two my younger son has been getting involved as well. But at this point I feel like *I* need a rest from it, so looking forward to SOG as a change of pace...

Capn Duff
01-30-2014, 02:54
Hi Andy, as has been said before, the lines on the official mats may look off putting , but during play I must admit to not really noticing them until you use them to aide range and wind attitude.
I found one mat ideally large enough for a couple of frigates per side and a couple of SoL , it does curtail manoeuvring a tad, two mats are large enough for a good sized Sqn action. Last night we used a 1.5 mat , due to table size, and had five players with six frigates in action with plenty of room

Naharaht
01-30-2014, 06:24
Only use your shag rug, Ed, if you are sailing the Sargasso Sea or the Bermuda Triangle. Carpet tiles have vey short pile.

The Royal Hajj
01-30-2014, 07:03
Carpet tiles is not a bad alternative to the official mats actually.

Nightbomber
01-30-2014, 07:51
Hi Andy, as has been said before, the lines on the official mats may look off putting , but during play I must admit to not really noticing them until you use them to aide range and wind attitude.
I found one mat ideally large enough for a couple of frigates per side and a couple of SoL , it does curtail manoeuvring a tad, two mats are large enough for a good sized Sqn action. Last night we used a 1.5 mat , due to table size, and had five players with six frigates in action with plenty of room

This convinces me to get at least one, Chris. Thanks for the complete answer. I do not plan any bigger squadron engagements so one should be enough ... at least for some time.

Andy Blozinski
01-30-2014, 20:04
This convinces me to get at least one, Chris. Thanks for the complete answer. I do not plan any bigger squadron engagements so one should be enough ... at least for some time.

Consider two. The difference in the shape of the map you end up with makes it seem so much larger than double the size.

fredmiracle
01-30-2014, 20:24
Consider two. The difference in the shape of the map you end up with makes it seem so much larger than double the size.

I went back and forth during the kickstarter trying to guess whether two would be enough or not. I don't like to feel cramped. However, we're normally just playing at home, and there's only so much space that can be dedicated to wargaming, so I don't think we could find a place to set 3 or 4 mats out anyway. Hopefully 2 will do--I guess it should

Andy Blozinski
01-30-2014, 20:56
I went back and forth during the kickstarter trying to guess whether two would be enough or not. I don't like to feel cramped. However, we're normally just playing at home, and there's only so much space that can be dedicated to wargaming, so I don't think we could find a place to set 3 or 4 mats out anyway. Hopefully 2 will do--I guess it should

Our first game was 1 vs 1 on a single mat and we had to shift 3-4 times to keep from sailing off. Second game was 3 vs 3 on two mats, and we had the ship status cards covering up part of them. We never had to shift. It bizarrely made a huge difference.

longagoigo
01-31-2014, 02:43
There is usually a way to do three...four is what's difficult.

Ken H
01-31-2014, 05:11
I have a blue vinyl roll of material I roll out as needed. it is just over 4' x 8' and the faint texture adds to the effect. I got it when I played Uncharted Seas.

Nightmoss
01-31-2014, 08:24
Jeff, that's a really nice looking setup; mats, islands and room for the ship logs, etc.

Nightbomber
01-31-2014, 08:31
What he said!

Horatio Le Rêve
01-31-2014, 09:47
I plan on picking up another SoG mat, for a total of two -- I am a sucker for the "mouse pad" mats. In the mean time I'll use the WoG coast mat.

I guess now I can break out the tabletop I made for Dystopian Wars -- it is modular and gives a play surface up to 8 x 4.

Cheers!

Nightbomber
01-31-2014, 09:53
James' mat looks like the real sea was bordered to prevent waters from falling off the table! IMPRESSIVE :clap:

The Royal Hajj
01-31-2014, 10:03
There is usually a way to do three...four is what's difficult.

Jeff, that's a really nice looking setup; mats, islands and room for the ship logs, etc.

And presumably a heated floor? Man how I miss my heated floor and toilet seat from my days in the Land of the Raising Sun. lol

Horatio Le Rêve
01-31-2014, 10:07
James' mat looks like the real sea was bordered to prevent waters from falling off the table! IMPRESSIVE :clap:

My wife will be very happy to hear your compliment, as she helped with the painting -- thanks!

Looking at the picture, I really need to break out the stain and finish the border. I don't take this to the LGS much, but it is portable in 2 x 4 sections, which gives the option of a fully bordered four-foot, six-foot, or eight-foot table. Plenty of room for islands, ships logs, and the largest of sea battles we're likely to fight.

Cheers!

Gunner
01-31-2014, 10:53
Looks great James. I might try something similar for my pool table. Is the base 1/4" plywood?

Horatio Le Rêve
01-31-2014, 11:53
Looks great James. I might try something similar for my pool table. Is the base 1/4" plywood?

Thanks! Yes, 1/4" with a 1"x1" frame; then I added the border, just because it keeps dice and things tidy on the tabletop. It is very lightweight and quite easily portable. Here are some more pics.

Cheers!

BRIAN DUNBAR
01-31-2014, 12:19
That looks great. If I hadn't purchased the mats already I would have gone this route.

Horatio Le Rêve
01-31-2014, 12:22
That looks great. If I hadn't purchased the mats already I would have gone this route.

I have both -- best of both worlds, and I can use this tabletop with my other vinyl mats for other games. It is a simple and inexpensive DIY that you could plan for the future.

Cheers!

Gunner
01-31-2014, 12:32
Thanks for the information.:beer: It's on my TTD list.

7eat51
01-31-2014, 23:12
Very nice, James. Even without the borders, it looks good.

Пилот
02-03-2014, 02:22
Hey, Andrzey, we all know Earth is flat square :happy:

Last game we played was after some X-wing tournament (and nobody brought mat) in limited time, so we played Ships in Space. It looked a bit weired, but nice.

Nightbomber
02-03-2014, 06:20
Hey, Andrzey, we all know Earth is flat square :happy:

Last game we played was after some X-wing tournament (and nobody brought mat) in limited time, so we played Ships in Space. It looked a bit weired, but nice.

Does it mean you played SoG over a nice nebula hubble picture ?:wink:

Пилот
02-03-2014, 12:34
Yes! One minute there was collision of two Millenium Falcons (which was strange enough), and the next some XVIII century ships were chasing around :happy:
Now I'm sorry I didn't take pics of it...

Nightbomber
02-03-2014, 14:29
Now I'm sorry I didn't take pics of it...
:swordleft::pistole::cannon:

Пилот
02-03-2014, 15:33
:surrender: