PDA

View Full Version : How many ships per player

Andy Blozinski
01-26-2014, 19:12
John Greybeard and I ran a 6 ship game last night with just the two of us playing three ships each. We ran it with one SOL and two frigates per side and did not use the crew management and special damage rules, but most of everything else.
We had no problems running three ships each. We managed to encounter a pretty broad spectrum of the rules and it didn't slow us down. Collisions, entanglement, rakes, different kinds of ammo usage, boarding, and musketry.
I was worried playing more than two ships would be a problem, but it went pretty smoothly.

Nightmoss
01-26-2014, 20:39
John Greybeard and I ran a 6 ship game last night with just the two of us playing three ships each. We ran it with one SOL and two frigates per side and did not use the crew management and special damage rules, but most of everything else.
We had no problems running three ships each. We managed to encounter a pretty broad spectrum of the rules and it didn't slow us down. Collisions, entanglement, rakes, different kinds of ammo usage, boarding, and musketry.
I was worried playing more than two ships would be a problem, but it went pretty smoothly.

That certainly exceeds what most folks were speculating as to the number of ships easily handled by one person. I expect you and your buddy are experienced gamers though. Novice gamers (like myself) probably aren't going to be able to do more than one ship at a time, maybe two after a few games?

7eat51
01-26-2014, 20:44
Having run multiple planes in WoG, it creates a very different feel for me than when playing one. I think the system is simple enough to reach the level of three ships in short order. That is one thing I appreciate about these games - being able to bounce between a single unit and multiple depending upon the desires for a given session.

Andy, do you plan on playing 3+ ships with a full compliment of rules anytime soon? If so, I would appreciate hearing about your experience, including tips.

Andy Blozinski
01-26-2014, 21:15
Having run multiple planes in WoG, it creates a very different feel for me than when playing one. I think the system is simple enough to reach the level of three ships in short order. That is one thing I appreciate about these games - being able to bounce between a single unit and multiple depending upon the desires for a given session.

Andy, do you plan on playing 3+ ships with a full compliment of rules anytime soon? If so, I would appreciate hearing about your experience, including tips.

We were playing Squad Leader in the 8th grade, so we're pretty experienced. I wouldn't suggest this in a demo game for new players. We'll probably do a game with full crew management this coming Saturday. We're only going to run one SOL each for that just to see how it goes.

Пилот
01-27-2014, 05:03
Playing with multiple ships allows your force to act as the fleet, more then in one man - one ship games.

Beowulf03809
01-27-2014, 07:27
My oldest son and I faced off yesterday with two SoLs each. We used "Basic Plus" rules...all the basics plus planning next move, the various ammunition types and sail damage(he REALLY wanted this one), but we did not yet add in all special damage or crew actions. The game did not go much slower than running a single ship does. With full crew management and special damage to account for it would be a different story.

The advantage of the two ships is it did keep the game engaging. The first time I drew damage for HMS Defense I pulled a few chits at or above burden and multiple crew hits (double shot front rake!). It hurt. A turn later we exchanged musket fire between the other two SoLs. This time I drew almost all zeros and he took five crew hits. In each case we quickly had one ship crippled and one at decent strength. With just a single ship each I could see cases where one side could fall into a pretty hopeless position pretty fast depending on the draw.

That being said, I still think full crew management with a single SoL (or maybe two Frigates) will be a sweet spot if you can do team play.

:rum:

nilliom
01-27-2014, 13:36
With 3 ships each it must take a huge table to have the mats and the ship mats.

Пилот
01-27-2014, 14:24
Standard 180cm x 120cm (roughly 70'' x 47'') table can stand a lot of ships. It's not allways available at home, but in local club probably should be. If you have a chance to double it, you get 240cm x 180cm (roughly 94 x 70''). So, on such tables you can play pretty big games.

Mats itself are not necessary for such game - you can spread marine blue sheet, or you can paint the table itself. When you pepper it with terrain elements, you have propper battlefield to play on.

Andy Blozinski
01-27-2014, 20:39
With 3 ships each it must take a huge table to have the mats and the ship mats.
We used two game mats and it was plenty of space. I had a 4'x6' sheet of plywood for our table.

The Royal Hajj
01-28-2014, 07:46
and did not use the crew management and special damage rules

So no Actions at all? I think playing at Basic Plus rules would easily allow a single person to run 3 or 4 ships.

Andy Blozinski
01-28-2014, 18:45
So no Actions at all? I think playing at Basic Plus rules would easily allow a single person to run 3 or 4 ships.
No actions. We just declared if we were changing sail settings before movement. We ran the guns basic style, except you could load fancy ammo. I screwed up, but he got me with double shot pretty good a few times.

The Royal Hajj
01-29-2014, 09:46
Yep, no Actions would basically make this game on par with WGS.

DeRuyter
01-30-2014, 11:44
No actions. We just declared if we were changing sail settings before movement. We ran the guns basic style, except you could load fancy ammo. I screwed up, but he got me with double shot pretty good a few times.

I am going to try this as well. This should work for small convention games with players who are new to the game, but experienced wargamers.

Jack Aubrey
01-30-2014, 12:00
I prefer 2 ships per person.

BRIAN DUNBAR
02-01-2014, 17:32
My daughter and I have been running 1 - 2 ships a game just so she can get the hang of it. This morning I came back from the head to see she added a new class of ship.

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8817&d=1391300230

USS Cinderella.

Nightmoss
02-01-2014, 18:01
My daughter and I have been running 1 - 2 ships a game just so so she can get the hang of it. This morning I came back from the head to see she added a new class of ship.
USS Cinderella.

Sneaky! It probably has killer stats too? :sly:

BRIAN DUNBAR
02-01-2014, 18:33
It's got a frying pan so it's got a little something.

Jack Aubrey
02-02-2014, 02:00
That reminds me on a film with an US submarine in the same color...But I forgot the title...... name of the film? Who knows?

Uthoroc
02-02-2014, 02:36
Operation Pettycoat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Petticoat) :happy:

Jack Aubrey
02-02-2014, 03:49
Yes, thank you :wink: in German: Unternehmen Pettycoat. That`s a funny movie, I love Hornsby....:wink:

David Manley
02-02-2014, 05:51
Back in the good old days when I first started AoS wargaming Liz said she wanted a ship of her own. I picked up a Skytrex Christian VII which was to become hers. Then she said she wanted it painted pink. So for the last 25+ years my fleet has been graced with a lovely 3rd rate with pink sides. Its quite a conversation piece (almost as much as my pink Triplane (Laura's) and my pink P-40 Kitty Hawk (based on a plane that used to do the UK airshow circuit back in the 1980s)

7eat51
02-02-2014, 08:42
Back in the good old days when I first started AoS wargaming Liz said she wanted a ship of her own. I picked up a Skytrex Christian VII which was to become hers. Then she said she wanted it painted pink. So for the last 25+ years my fleet has been graced with a lovely 3rd rate with pink sides. Its quite a conversation piece (almost as much as my pink Triplane (Laura's) and my pink P-40 Kitty Hawk (based on a plane that used to do the UK airshow circuit back in the 1980s)

Now,all you need to round out your collection is a pink Cadillac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FdAO1JgvA0&list=PL8BAEB1C19F942B53&feature=share

David Manley
02-02-2014, 08:47
I'll put one on my shopping list :)

BRIAN DUNBAR
02-02-2014, 10:33
Okay.... Now Megan wants to repaint a couple ships with pink and purple sails.

David Manley
02-02-2014, 10:37
Seems entirely reasonable. After all, the RN had several pink destroyers and cruisers in WW2 :)

Пилот
02-02-2014, 13:27
USS Cinderella

I had to show the picture to my wife, and she wanted me to post that she likes it a lot :girlie:

csadn
02-02-2014, 14:27
THE FIRST ONE OF YOU TO BRING OUT A "MY LITTLE PONY" FLEET DIES HORRIBLY. >;)

Пилот
02-02-2014, 16:48
Can you imagine Pink Dozen, including Yellow Duck!

Beowulf03809
02-06-2014, 13:36
Well...in my Lord of the Rings gaming (28mm) my daughter painted up a couple of my models so I have some Elf warriors in glorious pink and purple.

And in Flames of War (15mm WWII) we have a player with his German Panther tanks painted pink ( Pink Panthers...original )

So it's not unheard of. But I do love the proxy ship she brought along! That sort of engagement at a young age goes a LONG way to making life long players and keeping the "game" in wargame.

7eat51
02-06-2014, 21:18
Well...in my Lord of the Rings gaming (28mm) my daughter painted up a couple of my models so I have some Elf warriors in glorious pink and purple.

And in Flames of War (15mm WWII) we have a player with his German Panther tanks painted pink ( Pink Panthers...original )

So it's not unheard of. But I do love the proxy ship she brought along! That sort of engagement at a young age goes a LONG way to making life long players and keeping the "game" in wargame.

If pink playing pieces are the price of admission for a father and daughter to play together, paint them all.

When I was young, I didn't pay attention to the color schemes on German WWI planes. When I started playing WoG, those schemes took me by surprise.

A pink German Panther. I am tempted.

Jack Aubrey
02-06-2014, 23:08
realy ???????????? :question:

Пилот
02-07-2014, 07:11
My wife has her own Pink Peril* with her own markings :girlie:
(*used to be Sopwith Camel :takecover:).

csadn
02-07-2014, 14:15
A pink German Panther. I am tempted.

Pretty soon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIY36UbDbQQ

>;)

Пилот
02-08-2014, 14:39
По противнику, ОГОНЬ :happy:

csadn
02-08-2014, 16:13

No hablo....

Coog
02-08-2014, 16:18

No hablo....

The enemy, FIRE!

Пилот
02-08-2014, 16:22
No hablo....

At the enemy, FIRE

(in Russian, to support the music :happy: )

Coog
02-08-2014, 16:27
(in Russian, to support the music :happy: )

Wondering why you used Russian instead of Непријатељ, ВАТРА

Jack Aubrey
02-09-2014, 03:55
Voitteko auttaa minua?
En ymmärrä tätä.
Voisitteko kääntää sen minulle?

Пилот
02-09-2014, 04:18
Voitteko auttaa minua?
En ymmärrä tätä.
Voisitteko kääntää sen minulle?

("Can you help me?
I do not understand this.
Could you translate it for me?")

*That's not what Simo Häyhä said :beer:

Jack Aubrey
02-09-2014, 04:30
Hyvin bravo.
Voit käyttää EU: N Kääntäjä :beer:

using EU-translater ?

Пилот
02-09-2014, 05:27
Just Google Translate :beer:

csadn
02-09-2014, 16:11
Oh -- that explains the smoke and dust.... :)