PDA

View Full Version : Naval Action-PC Game in the Works

Nightmoss
01-24-2014, 14:16
Just saw this mentioned on one of the PC gaming sites I like to check out regularly. Whether the game comes to fruition or not certainly remains to be seen, but some of the illustrations and information are worth taking a peek at. Enjoy!

http://www.navalaction.com/

Naharaht
01-24-2014, 22:22
It will be interesting to see how this game develops.

Nightmoss
01-24-2014, 22:41
It will be interesting to see how this game develops.

I think so too. How could you not want to play a game, even a pc game, with ships like this!

Cool Breeze
01-24-2014, 23:54
I'm fairly confident my PC won't run it even if it makes it to release. It's a dinosaur running Windows XP.

Uthoroc
01-25-2014, 04:22
The ship models DO look gorgeous. Followed the Facebook page to see what comes of it. Thanks for the link!

Coog
01-25-2014, 04:30
Interesting that the other language option is Russian. Leads me to believe the home site is in Russia or Ukraine (They make mention of Ukrainian ship builders.) I'm always a bit hesitant linking to sites over there.

Uthoroc
01-25-2014, 04:34
Yes, they are based in Kiev, Ukraine (http://www.navalaction.com/contact-us/).

DeRuyter
01-25-2014, 09:03
Reminds me of some of the Total War series games that had naval combat (Empire TW, Napoleon TW). Although there was a stand alone game put out by Talonsoft in 2000 called Age of Sail that had potential but was buggy beyond belief!

David Manley
01-25-2014, 09:17
It might be related to the old Age of Sail / Provateers Bounty game and development team. IIRC the later version at least came from the Ukraine or somewhere in the FSU

csadn
01-25-2014, 16:49
Well, personally, one reason I can think of to not play such a game is: Close encounters with Large, Ill-Tempered Fish.

Shoot@Me
02-01-2014, 17:10
Thanks for sharing, I will keep an eye on this as well. I'm curious to see what they can make of it.

In the meantime, I found Pirates of the Burning Sea, an online naval game centered in the Caribbean in 1720. I've loved it, just wish I had found it years ago.

Nightmoss
02-01-2014, 17:59
Thanks for sharing, I will keep an eye on this as well. I'm curious to see what they can make of it.

In the meantime, I found Pirates of the Burning Sea, an online naval game centered in the Caribbean in 1720. I've loved it, just wish I had found it years ago.

I used to play PotBS and then I got side tracked into something else. Later, I heard it was let go from the original backer/publisher? So, is it really still around?

Berthier
02-01-2014, 17:59
Yes, they are based in Kiev, Ukraine (http://www.navalaction.com/contact-us/).

They may give us a definitive answer on the great "Russian ship colour" debate :wink:

7eat51
02-02-2014, 08:59
Can anyone recommend an AoS game for Macs?

Jack Aubrey
02-02-2014, 10:02
Yes, Pirates, from Sid Meyer (or Meier?). It is a fantastic game. But you have to train your dancing.....realy! I play it since years..super

Shoot@Me
02-03-2014, 06:49
I used to play PotBS and then I got side tracked into something else. Later, I heard it was let go from the original backer/publisher? So, is it really still around?

Yes, Sony Online Entertainment let it go. It is now down to only one US and one EU server (and a testing server), but it is still going.

The website is currently being rebuilt, but the game can be downloaded from the new developers at http://portalusgames.com.

DeRuyter
02-03-2014, 09:01

I used to play an online Napoleonic Naval game called Velmad run out of Spain. It is a large community and I fought ships in several large fleet actions such as The Glorious 1st of June. There is a signal flag system for communication as well. The downside for English speakers is that while there is an English language forum, in big battles you are playing with a Spanish speaking team (I used Google translate). I found the game very realistic but the larger fleet actions took awhile, basically one turn per day. There is a system for one v one challenges as well.

Here is a link: www.velmad.com

Eric

Nightmoss
02-03-2014, 10:41
Thanks, Steven and Eric for the links. I'll have to check them both out. :salute:

Gunner
02-03-2014, 11:52
They may give us a definitive answer on the great "Russian ship colour" debate :wink:

Debate? Debate? Dark green is dark green:drinks:

7eat51
02-03-2014, 16:00
Yes, Pirates, from Sid Meyer (or Meier?). It is a fantastic game. But you have to train your dancing.....realy! I play it since years..super

Thank you, Uli. :thumbsup: I will look for it.

csadn
02-03-2014, 17:23
I used to play an online Napoleonic Naval game called Velmad run out of Spain. It is a large community and I fought ships in several large fleet actions such as The Glorious 1st of June. There is a signal flag system for communication as well. The downside for English speakers is that while there is an English language forum, in big battles you are playing with a Spanish speaking team (I used Google translate).

You reminded me of the last time I attended GenCon -- I played in a Napoleonic age-of-sail scenario (hypothetical: Hyde Parker attacked from the other end of Copenhagen's harbor; the British force was supposed to take out the forts without being taken out by the Danish mobile defenders). Playing the British, I took command; the referee wasn't allowing communication between players, so I worked out a completely non-verbal signaling system -- point at someone, index finger for bigger ship, thumb for smaller ship (each player had two ships; I had them organized as "leaders" and "wingmen"), point at target to be engaged or hexes to be occupied. We won -- the main forts were demolished, and the enemy never got close enough to interfere. The ref was amazed at how well the British attack went off; he was sure not allowing table-talk would result in a grand melee.... >:)

Nightmoss
05-16-2014, 14:44
A computer gaming site I frequent has an update on the naval simulation coming from these folks. It even includes some test videos that are up on YouTube. I wasn't able to get them to load before but now they're working?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkZCNoVQQCY

If they fail to work you might be able to view them on the computer gaming site: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/16/the-flare-path-victory-over-the-ants/

Nightmoss
05-16-2014, 14:47
Only one video allowed per post, so I'll post the really long one that shows actual test play footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DYpW7l_9ME

kippryon
05-16-2014, 17:50
Actually, this looks a lot like "World of Tanks" (which is programmed in Russia) - maybe the same 'comrades'.
Could be... "World of Ships"?

Devsdoc
05-16-2014, 20:06

Debate? Debate? Dark green is dark green:drinks:

Oh! boys buy some glasses its black and white. green is just so old hat. Or is it old paint. :takecover: :wink: :drinks:
Be safe
Rory

Nightmoss
05-16-2014, 21:07
Actually, this looks a lot like "World of Tanks" (which is programmed in Russia) - maybe the same 'comrades'.
Could be... "World of Ships"?

They have worked on World of Tanks but they are their own developer. Also working on an American Civil War land battle game too I believe. And yes, they are a Russian publisher called Game Labs.

http://www.game-labs.net/

Naharaht
05-16-2014, 22:19
It seems to be coming along well. I do not know how realistic looking they intend it to be. They acknowledge the need to show more crew. They haven't got the ships 'rolling' in motion yet. One thing the battle video made me appreciate was how scary it must have been seeing all those cannon balls coming at you.

Nightmoss
05-16-2014, 23:44
It seems to be coming along well. I do not know how realistic looking they intend it to be. They acknowledge the need to show more crew. They haven't got the ships 'rolling' in motion yet. One thing the battle video made me appreciate was how scary it must have been seeing all those cannon balls coming at you.

Agreed. And then the splintering wood!

Comte de Brueys
05-17-2014, 07:57
A computer gaming site I frequent has an update on the naval simulation coming from these folks. It even includes some test videos that are up on YouTube. I wasn't able to get them to load before but now they're working?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkZCNoVQQCY

Impressive video. :shock:

Made me a goose skin...

Пилот
05-17-2014, 13:20
Looks interesting! Waiting to see some action :shootright:

Lugburz
06-25-2015, 13:40
Can anyone recommend an AoS game for Macs?
I'm also looking for good AoS games for Mac — however I see now that Napoleon Total War is available for the Mac OS, so there's that at least. Anyone play this game? The video below looks kind of cool:

http://youtu.be/rOBaqUmKgJg

7eat51
06-25-2015, 15:10
That's interesting, Keegan. I fear, though, I would lose what is happening by trying to manage so many ships that way.

Gunner
06-25-2015, 15:21
That's interesting, Keegan. I fear, though, I would lose what is happening by trying to manage so many ships that way.

Funny you should say that Eric, I got a headache just trying to keep up with the battle. Maybe it was eyestrain:beer:

7eat51
06-25-2015, 15:28
Funny you should say that Eric, I got a headache just trying to keep up with the battle. Maybe it was eyestrain:beer:

Maybe it's our age, my Friend. :drinks:

I would like to think we lost in physical prowess we made up in wisdom. I would like to think that.

Nightmoss
06-25-2015, 15:47
I have Napoleon Total War, but never got into the naval action. Looks pretty cool, but as has been suggested, I'd probably need to be much younger or have Borg implants to handle all the ships simultaneously?!

Lugburz
06-25-2015, 16:10
FYI: I just learned that ALL of the Total War games are on sale (and even free to play!) on Steam through June 28th-29th. I just scored the complete Napoleon TW game for about $7 and change. Can't wait to sink some French vessels!

Nightmoss
06-25-2015, 16:13
FYI: I just learned that ALL of the Total War games are on sale (and even free to play!) on Steam through June 28th-29th. I just scored the complete Napoleon TW game for about $7 and change. Can't wait to sink some French vessels!

Congrats! The Total War games have often been very good, especially after some bug and tweaking patches. Enjoy the sailing!

TexaS
06-26-2015, 01:56
I've played though all Total Wars games except Rome: Total Wars, most campaigns with several nations.

It's fun and the newer ones are beautiful. In most battles I start out on slow to give all orders and then "fast forward" until contact and then slow down to slow motion again.

In Napoleon naval battles I usually just make sure I have a superior force and then I capture the enemy ships and keep my superiority.

In Empires naval battles I try to make third rates as quickly as possible. Then I don't have to have very many ships to defeat the opponents.

DeRuyter
06-26-2015, 10:49

I would recommend going to the Total War Mod site and looking at the various mods as the vanilla naval battles leave mush to be desired. Empire TW also had good navel battles. In fact one of the main mod developers - Darthmod - is now developing Naval Action.

http://www.twcenter.net/

Here is the site of one of the better mods for NTW and ETW:

http://www.thelordz.org/

DeRuyter
06-26-2015, 10:52
Also as to Naval Action - Open world beta testing has begun. Area of operations is the Caribbean and US coast as fare as South Carolina. They just opened the world up to all alpha testers, although they have not yet restarted sales of game keys. Several good YT videos on the recent development have been posted as well.

Nightmoss
06-26-2015, 11:11
I would recommend going to the Total War Mod site and looking at the various mods as the vanilla naval battles leave mush to be desired. Empire TW also had good navel battles. In fact one of the main mod developers - Darthmod - is now developing Naval Action.

http://www.twcenter.net/

Here is the site of one of the better mods for NTW and ETW:

http://www.thelordz.org/

Also as to Naval Action - Open world beta testing has begun. Area of operations is the Caribbean and US coast as fare as South Carolina. They just opened the world up to all alpha testers, although they have not yet restarted sales of game keys. Several good YT videos on the recent development have been posted as well.

Thanks Eric for the update and links. Have you been in Naval Action much? I was pretty interested in the game until reading the forums and seeing some local characters who clearly are approaching this sim as a "World of Tanks" in the Age of Sails. I'm not going to waste my time playing a sim that's full of e-peen wannabees.

7eat51
06-27-2015, 09:32
I think I should avoid all PC-based gaming. I can see an inverse relationship between such avenues of play and productivity in my life. I think I would get sucked in.

I know I asked for games for Macs, but I need to run the other way.

7eat51
06-27-2015, 09:34
I was pretty interested in the game until reading the forums and seeing some local characters who clearly are approaching this sim as a "World of Tanks" in the Age of Sails. I'm not going to waste my time playing a sim that's full of e-peen wannabees.

Is it not possible to play human vs. computer?

Interesting comments, Jim.

Nightmoss
06-27-2015, 09:38
I think I should avoid all PC-based gaming. I can see an inverse relationship between such avenues of play and productivity in my life. I think I would get sucked in.

I know I asked for games for Macs, but I need to run the other way.

Eric, it's very true that video games can take up a huge chunk of time, but it's like most 'hobbies'. You learn to portion out time and stick to a schedule so it doesn't impact work, family or other hobbies. Right now I've gotten completely sucked into the video game, Witcher 3. It's an amazing story, with incredible graphics and sense of an open world that doesn't want to let you go.

Nightmoss
06-27-2015, 09:40
Is it not possible to play human vs. computer?

Interesting comments, Jim.

I'm not sure if you can play against the AI on your own or not? As I said I've not been back in awhile. Many games do allow you free roaming, but I'm not sure Naval Action will be one of them. I could enjoy just sailing and seeing the scenery in this game very easily. It's quite beautiful.

7eat51
06-27-2015, 09:44
It's a shame when people behave like fools on gaming sites. I have seen far too many posts on BGG that make me scratch my head as to why people made them.

I think one of the problems with computer games is the ability to create an immersive experience. Like RPGs, the more immersion, the more time consuming the game becomes. As much as I enjoyed Third Reich, I was never sucked into it. In fact, boardgames are such that I can play for an hour and walk away, resuming the game as time permits.

Nightmoss
06-27-2015, 09:51
It's a shame when people behave like fools on gaming sites. I have seen far too many posts on BGG that make me scratch my head as to why people made them.

I think one of the problems with computer games is the ability to create an immersive experience. Like RPGs, the more immersion, the more time consuming the game becomes. As much as I enjoyed Third Reich, I was never sucked into it. In fact, boardgames are such that I can play for an hour and walk away, resuming the game as time permits.

This could be why single player video games like Witcher 3 are so popular? They allow you to adventure at your own pace and in a world that only has NPC's controlled by the AI.

7eat51
06-27-2015, 09:56
I think I would enjoy such a game. I have been looking for a decent solo mechanism for Pathfinder in part to play, in part to learn, in part to develop scenarios.

I just received the Wrath of the Righteous adventure card game and all the class decks this morning - part of the proceeds from the ship/plane sale. We have played the Rise of the Runelords with George (CelticCat). As he has that and Skull and Shackles, I thought I would pick this up. I am impressed with many of the solo and coop games on the market.

Speaking of George, we're off to feed his cat.

May you have a pleasant day in this most gorgeous weather.

DeRuyter
06-29-2015, 12:56
Thanks Eric for the update and links. Have you been in Naval Action much? I was pretty interested in the game until reading the forums and seeing some local characters who clearly are approaching this sim as a "World of Tanks" in the Age of Sails. I'm not going to waste my time playing a sim that's full of e-peen wannabees.

I recently got back into it after they invited all testers to the Open World. Initially the testing was in a closed area like WOT, but now that has been replaced with the Open World. While there are a few WOT closed area type players, the majority of players want more than that. They are going to have an area mode in the final product though. There are a good percentage of players interested in hard core age of sail with realistic sailing and gunnery as opposed to arcade style like WOT. The intent is to create a game world with nations, economies, crafting, etc. Having said that the main attraction is age of sail naval combat. It is like playing SoG scenarios with a complete campaign set up behind them as a narrative. So it is an MMO with an open architecture.

I'm not sure if you can play against the AI on your own or not? As I said I've not been back in awhile. Many games do allow you free roaming, but I'm not sure Naval Action will be one of them. I could enjoy just sailing and seeing the scenery in this game very easily. It's quite beautiful.

Yes you can play against the AI and certainly NA is all about free roaming. The current map is based on the Caribbean and you can sail up the US coast as far as Georgia. In fact much of your early progress is fighting against bots (PVE) as opposed to PVP, but judging from the forums the majority of the players are in it for PVP. Your progression rewards are much greater in PVP play as well. There are also fleet battles with both players and AI fighting each other (on both sides).

Nightmoss
06-29-2015, 15:14
I recently got back into it after they invited all testers to the Open World. Initially the testing was in a closed area like WOT, but now that has been replaced with the Open World. While there are a few WOT closed area type players, the majority of players want more than that. They are going to have an area mode in the final product though. There are a good percentage of players interested in hard core age of sail with realistic sailing and gunnery as opposed to arcade style like WOT. The intent is to create a game world with nations, economies, crafting, etc. Having said that the main attraction is age of sail naval combat. It is like playing SoG scenarios with a complete campaign set up behind them as a narrative. So it is an MMO with an open architecture.

Yes you can play against the AI and certainly NA is all about free roaming. The current map is based on the Caribbean and you can sail up the US coast as far as Georgia. In fact much of your early progress is fighting against bots (PVE) as opposed to PVP, but judging from the forums the majority of the players are in it for PVP. Your progression rewards are much greater in PVP play as well. There are also fleet battles with both players and AI fighting each other (on both sides).

Thanks for the updates, Eric. I should try to check back and see how things are going.

I would love to see an MMO developed that put a higher value (and resultant rewards) on capturing ships rather then blowing them out of the water. Seems unlikely they'd go that route though. Folks are not going to want to wait around weeks for their ships to be repaired or rebuilt. I understand they'll have to consider play balance and continued support of the community vs. realism.

csadn
06-29-2015, 17:57
"Naval Action" is not a game about Shore Leave. I stand corrected.

DeRuyter
06-30-2015, 14:45
Thanks for the updates, Eric. I should try to check back and see how things are going.

I would love to see an MMO developed that put a higher value (and resultant rewards) on capturing ships rather then blowing them out of the water. Seems unlikely they'd go that route though. Folks are not going to want to wait around weeks for their ships to be repaired or rebuilt. I understand they'll have to consider play balance and continued support of the community vs. realism.

Exactly the fine line they are walking. You can capture ships which does get you more gold and you can sell it or use it as you like. Currently you can store ships/goods, etc at your home port (capitol) or at an outpost that you have established. You can enter friendly or neutral ports to repair and buy goods but you can't store extra ships or stuff there. Establishing an outpost costs gold, so you can't just put them up everywhere on the map.

So let's say you are a US player and capture a pirate schooner off St. Kitts, but you have no outposts and your home port is on the US east coast. You can send the prize to your home port and continue sailing, but you will have to sail across the Caribbean to get to your home port before you can sell or use that ship. Repairs currently just cost in game money rather than time because they want people out testing the game. You can also get modules or supplies that enable you to repair at sea to a certain extent. Lastly if you are sunk you respawn back at your home port and I think there is a cool down timer with that as well.

Nightmoss
06-30-2015, 16:48
Exactly the fine line they are walking. You can capture ships which does get you more gold and you can sell it or use it as you like. Currently you can store ships/goods, etc at your home port (capitol) or at an outpost that you have established. You can enter friendly or neutral ports to repair and buy goods but you can't store extra ships or stuff there. Establishing an outpost costs gold, so you can't just put them up everywhere on the map.

So let's say you are a US player and capture a pirate schooner off St. Kitts, but you have no outposts and your home port is on the US east coast. You can send the prize to your home port and continue sailing, but you will have to sail across the Caribbean to get to your home port before you can sell or use that ship. Repairs currently just cost in game money rather than time because they want people out testing the game. You can also get modules or supplies that enable you to repair at sea to a certain extent. Lastly if you are sunk you respawn back at your home port and I think there is a cool down timer with that as well.

Some interesting developments, mostly positive I'd say. Thank you again for the update. :thumbsup:

Nightmoss
12-09-2015, 11:44
One of our members (Mike, aka Northern Wolves) is very active in the Naval Action beta. I just recently saw this video and I hope he doesn't mind my posting it here because I thought it was pretty awesome. He's involved with the Decatur Armada: http://www.decaturarmada.enjin.com/

I know others here have expressed some interest in the game/simulation and it's clear they're working hard to make the game better and better. Cheers!

It's a two part video, but I'll only post Part One, which is essentially a video AAR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqV98pASQvQ

7eat51
12-09-2015, 22:37
Thanks for sharing that, Jim. Very nice AAR format.

I need to stay clear of such games, or I fear I wouldn't get anything done.

G-Two
12-24-2015, 22:42
If anyone's interested, they've opened up purchases again for Naval Action (http://www.navalaction.com/), and still have Steam keys available...

Nightmoss
12-25-2015, 09:25
Greetings Gregory. Thanks for the information and welcome aboard the Anchorage! :salute:

7eat51
12-25-2015, 09:58
Welcome aboard, Gregory. :salute:

In case you're interested, we're getting ready to kick off another solo campaign for 2016. If you're interested in finding out more, let us know. You don't need many ships or anything special.

Nightmoss
01-20-2016, 10:58
Naval Action is moving to Early Access on Steam as of January 21st. Those of use who bought into the play test have been awarded our yachts and will be receiving some extra benefits as well. Here's the Steam PC link which includes their latest Game Trailer video. It's not up on YouTube as yet or I would have linked it in this post. Cheers!

http://navalaction.us12.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=a03c7221e6cf6f22cdf0e1152&id=aa5dc27f4f&e=a5569331d7

Here's the Early Access Trailer for those who might enjoy some fighting sail eye candy. I'm not 100% positive, but I think that's the Hermione at the 30 second mark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KVh6TKIwyU

I 'played' Naval Action for several hours yesterday. It's quite engaging. Managed to capture two snow's in my cutter. Starting as United States you're placed in Charleston. Cheers.

DeRuyter
01-22-2016, 09:51
Naval Action Update:

As Jim noted Naval Action is now indeed available on Steam Early Access ($39). This is essentially open Beta testing so the development including new features are continuing. The developers have said that there will be no more "hard wipes" meaning that your in game rank and experience will remain even if they reset the game progression. Pay attention to the PC graphics requirements because you do need a newer graphics card (DX11, shader model 5), but you don't need a high end card either.

Currently there are 23 different ships in the game from the starter cutter to the Santisima Trinidad and more are being added. The game is set in the Caribbean of the late 18th century. The map is huge stretching from the Carolinas to Venezuela and from the Gulf coast of Mexico to the Windward islands. I think it takes something like 2+ hours RT to sail from Charlestown to Trinidad. You start out in a basic 12 gun cutter armed with 4 lb guns after selecting a nationality (Danish, Dutch, Spanish, British, French, Swedish, US or Pirate). You can board and capture larger ships but you need experience points to be able to command more crew to properly sail them. Once you have the rank and gold you can also buy larger ships, square riggers like brigs, post ships and frigates. They have implemented economic features including crafting and trading so you can build ships as well. You can sail on the open sea looking for other players to battle or traders to capture, or you can accept a mission in port which will set up a battle with AI near your port. There are also Events or Battles, which are essentially teams of players fighting in an area setting (at sea with a boundary so no running!). These are good for getting experience fighting and for ranking up. There is also a conquest feature where a group of players and attack and capture ports of other nations.

There is also a clan feature. I am in the premier US clan, "The Decatur Armada". Northern Wolves (Mike) on this forum is an officer in the clan. This can be similar to playing a large multiplayer SoG game with a long running campaign feature! You can also play the game solo, but I would say that this is a way for someone who does not have opponents for FtF miniatures gaming to have opponents and teammates.

During the development they are going to add captain and crew management features, upgrade port conquest with different types of forts, shoals and land and continue to develop the economy and trading feature. Ships slated to enter the game soon include USS Essex, USS Niagara, Bucentaure, Ingermanland and an East Indiaman (modeled after the replica in Amsterdam).

One of the problems IMO at the moment is the treatment of Pirates as just another nation with character creation at the outset vs. having to "turn" pirate. This is not just another "Pirate" game by far. I think they are working on creating a difference experience for all the wanna be Jack Sparrows (fingers crossed). Overall a very fun game and the combat system is very well modeled. The only real downside is that like all computer games it is a time sink - and the reason why I havn't been painting/rigging ship models or around here discussing SoG miniatures (where is the 3rd Wave anyway!). :dazed:

Links:

http://decaturarmada.enjin.com/

http://www.navalaction.com/#ageofsail

http://forum.game-labs.net/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311310/

Nightmoss
01-22-2016, 10:54
Naval Action Update:

As Jim noted Naval Action is now indeed available on Steam Early Access ($39). This is essentially open Beta testing so the development including new features are continuing. The developers have said that there will be no more "hard wipes" meaning that your in game rank and experience will remain even if they reset the game progression. Pay attention to the PC graphics requirements because you do need a newer graphics card (DX11, shader model 5), but you don't need a high end card either.

Currently there are 23 different ships in the game from the starter cutter to the Santisima Trinidad and more are being added. The game is set in the Caribbean of the late 18th century. The map is huge stretching from the Carolinas to Venezuela and from the Gulf coast of Mexico to the Windward islands. I think it takes something like 2+ hours RT to sail from Charlestown to Trinidad. You start out in a basic 12 gun cutter armed with 4 lb guns after selecting a nationality (Danish, Dutch, Spanish, British, French, Swedish, US or Pirate). You can board and capture larger ships but you need experience points to be able to command more crew to properly sail them. Once you have the rank and gold you can also buy larger ships, square riggers like brigs, post ships and frigates. They have implemented economic features including crafting and trading so you can build ships as well. You can sail on the open sea looking for other players to battle or traders to capture, or you can accept a mission in port which will set up a battle with AI near your port. There are also Events or Battles, which are essentially teams of players fighting in an area setting (at sea with a boundary so no running!). These are good for getting experience fighting and for ranking up. There is also a conquest feature where a group of players and attack and capture ports of other nations.

There is also a clan feature. I am in the premier US clan, "The Decatur Armada". Northern Wolves (Mike) on this forum is an officer in the clan. This can be similar to playing a large multiplayer SoG game with a long running campaign feature! You can also play the game solo, but I would say that this is a way for someone who does not have opponents for FtF miniatures gaming to have opponents and teammates.

During the development they are going to add captain and crew management features, upgrade port conquest with different types of forts, shoals and land and continue to develop the economy and trading feature. Ships slated to enter the game soon include USS Essex, USS Niagara, Bucentaure, Ingermanland and an East Indiaman (modeled after the replica in Amsterdam).

One of the problems IMO at the moment is the treatment of Pirates as just another nation with character creation at the outset vs. having to "turn" pirate. This is not just another "Pirate" game by far. I think they are working on creating a difference experience for all the wanna be Jack Sparrows (fingers crossed). Overall a very fun game and the combat system is very well modeled. The only real downside is that like all computer games it is a time sink - and the reason why I havn't been painting/rigging ship models or around here discussing SoG miniatures (where is the 3rd Wave anyway!). :dazed:

Links:

http://decaturarmada.enjin.com/

http://www.navalaction.com/#ageofsail

http://forum.game-labs.net/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311310/

Very nice write up, Eric. If you're in "The Decatur Armada" then no doubt you're playing on the pvp server(s). As I stated on BoardGame Geek I don't engage in pvp, but I am enjoying the experience on the pve server. I fully expect the sailing and crafting side of the game will keep me quite involved for some time. You can certainly see via the crafting that building any size ship takes large amounts of resources, even for something as small as a schooner.

I think the single most asked question I read in local chat last night was, "How do I tell where I'm at on the map?". And of course the fps twitcher types are already showing up in force. This isn't Call of Duty, Battlefield 4 or even Star Wars Battlefront. No one shot kills in Naval Action.

Have fun in the game!! :salute:

Nightmoss
01-24-2016, 09:03
I have 'invested' well over 40 hours into the game/simulation at this point and must say that at least in the PVE environment it is immensely enjoyable. As a sailing simulation it's not 100% accurate, but I doubt if folks would be having as much fun if it was? While I enjoy playing Sails of Glory, Naval Action is much more immersive in terms of how you sail/fight/board and survive in an 18th century sailing world. I haven't yet approached the crafting mechanic, but it's involved and will appeal to many who enjoy a more 'economic' sim.

Leveling up so you can sail and fight in larger ships will take some time. I just made "2nd Lieutenant" last evening, which means I can now fully operate ships of 150 (or less).

And while we wait, and wait, for Spanish ships to arrive in Sails of Glory you can sail the Santisima Trinidad right now if your character has the rank required. This video is pre release on Steam Early Access, but it gives you a good impression of how much work has gone into the game/simulation. Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS0o3yEcUFs

TexaS
01-24-2016, 10:17
Showing your stern when the enemy is firing? That is really weird!

David Manley
01-24-2016, 10:48
Or at least very careless :happy:

TexaS
01-24-2016, 11:11
This was quite enjoyable to watch. It's the other end of the spectrum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEaCAqP-qyY

Nightmoss
01-24-2016, 12:18

Or at least very careless :happy:

Weird and careless are very much in evidence on the PVE server. I think some of these tests had no real risk vs. reward issues. Ships were never totally lost. I doubt that's the case on the servers now where if you lose a ship it's gone.

Nightmoss
01-24-2016, 12:40
This was quite enjoyable to watch. It's the other end of the spectrum.

Trafalgar events were held regularly last Fall I believe? I missed out on much of this due to computer and internet issues. There are a lot of YouTube videos popping up now that Steam Early Access is open. I like this one as a short introduction to beginning sized ships and some examples of the user interface. The video starts out dark because the game has a day and night cycle. Fighting in the dark or the rain is interesting as well.

Time to go back to sea. :happy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PWa_E5nacU

Union Jack
01-25-2016, 07:03
Once bought is that all you require or do you have to 'in game purchase' for updates, better ships etc?

Nightmoss
01-25-2016, 08:40
Once bought is that all you require or do you have to 'in game purchase' for updates, better ships etc?

Once purchased you have permanent access to all updates and add on's. The developers are not going to produce any ships that come under the category of "Pay to Win". Any premium offers you can buy once in game will be cosmetic only; flags, ship colors, etc.

I was very happy to see a large number of players online last night and that was true even on the PVE server. Two fun things I did last night included capturing a trader brig and crafting my first ship; Lynx.

Neil, if you have any other questions I'd email DeRuyter (Eric) as he's been active a great deal more than I have.

DeRuyter
01-26-2016, 10:37

People do this because you are a smaller target , same with sailing directly at the enemy. Risky, especially in small ships because you don't have much hull integrity in the bow and stern (hit points if you prefer). If you are fighting a player who is a good shot not a good thing to do, but some of the AI and players are not very accurate shooting so it allows one to keep the weather gauge or just to turn and present your other broadside. When attacking AI you can make a couple of close stern rakes to smash hull and then load grape to reduce and shock the crew prior to boarding and capture.

Each ship has a certain amount of hit points per side which represent the hull integrity. Once that is sufficiently damaged you have a much greater change of losing crew and guns to hits. Once gone you start sinking. Also they model each ball traveling the length of the ship in the case of a rake against a depleted hull. I have had my rudder destroyed by shots from the front for example!

They do not have a morale system per se, a player can surrender in a hopeless situation just to save time but you still lose your ship. They do intend to put a officer and crew management system into place which may encourage a more historical end - a ship striking rather than always sinking which is a game play mechanic at the moment.

Weird and careless are very much in evidence on the PVE server. I think some of these tests had no real risk vs. reward issues. Ships were never totally lost. I doubt that's the case on the servers now where if you lose a ship it's gone.

Correct in the Sea Trials when testing the combat system you got your ship back after the battle. Currently each ship has a number of "durability's" from 5 (smaller ships), to 3 (frigates), 2 (3rd rate SOL), 1 (1st rate and captured ships). This means that you can be "sunk" that many times and you'll simply show up in the nearest friendly port with your ship intact (except you do lose cargo) until the last durability, then your ship is permanently lost. Some players just want a one and done system but the developers are mindful of the more casual players and to be forgiving of mistakes, or if you get "ganked" by a horde of pirates!

Yes $39 buys it on steam. The developers are fiercely anti "pay to win" and wanted to stay away from that type of game - free but you can buy faster progression or better premium goods/ammo (think World of Tanks). Eventually they will have DLC content that you can purchase, like the yacht that people got for pre-ordering. It is no better than the start ship (cutter) and worse in some ways - but it looks cool! So nothing that is better than what is in game. Maybe decorative window dressing like better figureheads to customize a ship as well.

OT: They also developed a cool ACW game - Ultimate General Gettysburg.

Currently there are 3 servers as Jim mentioned:

PVE (environment) - Players can coop but not attack each other. Although there is an "Arena" mode where you can enter into a closed battle instance against other players.
PVP1 - European based server with clans, port capturing and player v player battles. I am on this one mostly.
PVP2 -US based but really a back up server (only XP carries over server to server though not $ or ships).

Jim - have fun with your Lynx (I have sailed on the replica). She is a good ship to run down traders with and remember get close to them when tagging in the OW and load chain! I usually run with carronades when fighting AI and commerce raiding. She is a hard target and a bit more stable gun platform than the cutter but watch for the waves! If you like the Lynx look for a Privateer. Same ship but stronger and more guns!

7eat51
01-26-2016, 12:00
Will there be a dedicated solitaire version of the game?

Nightmoss
01-26-2016, 14:41
People do this because you are a smaller target , same with sailing directly at the enemy. Risky, especially in small ships because you don't have much hull integrity in the bow and stern (hit points if you prefer). If you are fighting a player who is a good shot not a good thing to do, but some of the AI and players are not very accurate shooting so it allows one to keep the weather gauge or just to turn and present your other broadside. When attacking AI you can make a couple of close stern rakes to smash hull and then load grape to reduce and shock the crew prior to boarding and capture.

Each ship has a certain amount of hit points per side which represent the hull integrity. Once that is sufficiently damaged you have a much greater change of losing crew and guns to hits. Once gone you start sinking. Also they model each ball traveling the length of the ship in the case of a rake against a depleted hull. I have had my rudder destroyed by shots from the front for example!

They do not have a morale system per se, a player can surrender in a hopeless situation just to save time but you still lose your ship. They do intend to put a officer and crew management system into place which may encourage a more historical end - a ship striking rather than always sinking which is a game play mechanic at the moment.

Correct in the Sea Trials when testing the combat system you got your ship back after the battle. Currently each ship has a number of "durability's" from 5 (smaller ships), to 3 (frigates), 2 (3rd rate SOL), 1 (1st rate and captured ships). This means that you can be "sunk" that many times and you'll simply show up in the nearest friendly port with your ship intact (except you do lose cargo) until the last durability, then your ship is permanently lost. Some players just want a one and done system but the developers are mindful of the more casual players and to be forgiving of mistakes, or if you get "ganked" by a horde of pirates!

Yes $39 buys it on steam. The developers are fiercely anti "pay to win" and wanted to stay away from that type of game - free but you can buy faster progression or better premium goods/ammo (think World of Tanks). Eventually they will have DLC content that you can purchase, like the yacht that people got for pre-ordering. It is no better than the start ship (cutter) and worse in some ways - but it looks cool! So nothing that is better than what is in game. Maybe decorative window dressing like better figureheads to customize a ship as well.

OT: They also developed a cool ACW game - Ultimate General Gettysburg.

Currently there are 3 servers as Jim mentioned:

PVE (environment) - Players can coop but not attack each other. Although there is an "Arena" mode where you can enter into a closed battle instance against other players.
PVP1 - European based server with clans, port capturing and player v player battles. I am on this one mostly.
PVP2 -US based but really a back up server (only XP carries over server to server though not $ or ships).

Jim - have fun with your Lynx (I have sailed on the replica). She is a good ship to run down traders with and remember get close to them when tagging in the OW and load chain! I usually run with carronades when fighting AI and commerce raiding. She is a hard target and a bit more stable gun platform than the cutter but watch for the waves! If you like the Lynx look for a Privateer. Same ship but stronger and more guns!

Good information as always, Eric.

The game is showing a lot of popularity, so much so that they've started adding more servers. All pvp of course as there aren't many of us 'care bears' out there. I have noticed in local chat a lot of frustration with folks who don't really appreciate what an 'age of sail' game entails. They rage quit because they can't sail into the wind, they don't see exactly where they are on the map and they want experience and gold to flow like water. Folks do try to help out, but it seems the 'average' gamer these days wants it all handed to them on a silver platter?

I'm actually up to a Snow now and have decided to try out the 'Fleet" mechanic. I've hired a Lynx to accompany the Snow and am just about 500 exp from hitting 1st Lieutenant. There was a patch today and based on complaints in local chat it may have affected ships as well as some other things? Lots of grumbling and folks are speculating that the pvp'ers are complaining about overpowered ships so the devs are nerfing them. Nothing new here if that's actually what's happening. MMO's notoriously nerf to balance pvp even at the expense of pve play (World of Warcraft, Rift, etc.).

Btw I posted a question on the Naval Action forums about whether The Decatur Armada intended on having any presence on the pve servers. 'Chustler' pretty much shot down that option, not surprisingly.

Nightmoss
01-26-2016, 14:46

Eric, playing on the PVE server is pretty much a solo version of the game. You can't be attacked by other players or even NPC's without agreeing to it. So the simulation/game focuses on sailing, exploration, crafting and some rudimentary role playing. Plus I think I've learned a bit more about sailing in Naval Action than any of the SoG games I've played. It's certainly not 100% accurate, but you learn quickly what being 'in irons' means.

P.S. One thing else I should mention is you do need a moderately good computer to run this sim/game. Microsoft XP, etc., wont cut it.

DeRuyter
01-27-2016, 09:29

Eric, playing on the PVE server is pretty much a solo version of the game. You can't be attacked by other players or even NPC's without agreeing to it. So the simulation/game focuses on sailing, exploration, crafting and some rudimentary role playing. Plus I think I've learned a bit more about sailing in Naval Action than any of the SoG games I've played. It's certainly not 100% accurate, but you learn quickly what being 'in irons' means.

P.S. One thing else I should mention is you do need a moderately good computer to run this sim/game. Microsoft XP, etc., wont cut it.

As Jim said the PVE server is essentially a solitaire version because you only fight the computer. However you can still have player coop and other players are interacting with the system especially trading/crafting.

They have "adjusted" some of the sailing for gameplay reasons. Like Jim said a lot of fast twitch FPS gamers complaining about various things hurts this type of game as a "sailing simulator. For example square riggers can sail way to close to the wind. I do appreciate that when on a long trading voyage though!! Still the best age of sail game/sim I have seen yet. There are a few pure simulators for modern sailboat racing though.

Nightmoss
01-27-2016, 12:04

Actually, Eric, I may have misunderstood your question? You might be asking if/when the developers at Game Labs might release this as a stand alone computer game in the vein of Sid Meier's Pirates or Age of Sail I and II? I asked that question in chat last night and the response was a very firm "not likely". The devs are very focused on this as an MMO and probably wont be devoting resources to port it to a stand alone sim.

Nightmoss
01-27-2016, 12:13
As Jim said the PVE server is essentially a solitaire version because you only fight the computer. However you can still have player coop and other players are interacting with the system especially trading/crafting.

They have "adjusted" some of the sailing for gameplay reasons. Like Jim said a lot of fast twitch FPS gamers complaining about various things hurts this type of game as a "sailing simulator. For example square riggers can sail way to close to the wind. I do appreciate that when on a long trading voyage though!! Still the best age of sail game/sim I have seen yet. There are a few pure simulators for modern sailboat racing though.

Well, as it turns out a bunch of folks on the PVE server formed a clan last night (United States Navy) and I joined the group. There's also going to be a trade/crafting clan forming soon from what I gathered in local chat. USN is pretty much focused on leveling experience and getting gold. Ran 3 missions with them; 2 Cerberus, 1 Niagara and me in a Mercury. I traded my Snow in for a Mercury, which is much more resilient and loaded it up with 24 pound carronades.

I'll try to take some screen shots later today to show off some more of the graphics quality.

I also did some exploration sailing south from Charleston to the Keys and then up towards Tampa. It took well over an hour of real time sailing to make that trip, which gives you some idea of the scale on the maps.

Nightmoss
01-31-2016, 15:56
Boarding action against HMS Surprise. Most definitely not an easy task, but we did take the ship in the end.

TexaS
02-01-2016, 09:57
You're in the snau?

Nightmoss
02-01-2016, 11:37
You're in the snau?

Yes, and I was having a lovely time raking the ship with grape. Surprise disengaged from the Renomee and I was able to grapple and board. With the crew down to almost nothing I won the boarding after one round I think?

Nightmoss
02-14-2016, 09:53
My latest update on Naval Action PC Game. One of the members of our "Fleet" is now a level 25 ship crafter and was able to build me HMS Surprise. A fantastic ship to sail and fight in.

Late last night a group of us attacked and boarded a Spanish 3rd Rate. This is the boarding action phase with surrounding ships shooting grape.

I must confess that I've become seriously attached to the game. Immersion even just sailing from one point to another is wonderful. Fog, rain, thunderstorms and a night cycle makes it even more impressive. Hard to believe this is only alpha?

Cheers!

Bligh
02-14-2016, 13:28
Does it simulate your ship being full to the gunwales with Carronades Jim, and if so how well do they perform for you?
Rob.

Nightmoss
02-15-2016, 09:34
Does it simulate your ship being full to the gunwales with Carronades Jim, and if so how well do they perform for you?
Rob.

Funny you should ask that, Rob. Last night I was sailing the Belle Poule and was somewhat disappointed by the 'damage' I was doing in combat. So, I loaded up 32 and 24 pound carronades and my damage improved considerably. The down side of course is you have to be much closer to the enemy ships and you are consequently just as likely to take damage as dish it out.

Bligh
02-15-2016, 10:07
Interesting Jim.
It was just that the books all say that close up the Carronades were so devastating, and after the R.N. captured the real Surprise they re armed her with gundeck- 24, 32 pounder Carronades on the quaterdeck- 8, 32 pounder Carronades, and on the forecastle- 4 long 6 pounders.

Close up and friendly that must have been some clout, although the book goes on to say that the Navy never really took to the idea.
Rob.

Nightmoss
02-15-2016, 17:04
Interesting Jim.
It was just that the books all say that close up the Carronades were so devastating, and after the R.N. captured the real Surprise they re armed her with gundeck- 24, 32 pounder Carronades on the quaterdeck- 8, 32 pounder Carronades, and on the forecastle- 4 long 6 pounders.

Close up and friendly that must have been some clout, although the book goes on to say that the Navy never really took to the idea.
Rob.

I've yet to try carronades on Surprise. I may try that this evening. Some new developer notes today are indicating a direction involving much more control of ship crews. Instead of a toggle switch we may have to assign crew to specific roles and reassign as needs arise. It certainly makes me think of SoG crew tasks; yes, fires and leaks are mentioned on the notes.

Bligh
02-16-2016, 02:02
I've yet to try carronades on Surprise. I may try that this evening. Some new developer notes today are indicating a direction involving much more control of ship crews. Instead of a toggle switch we may have to assign crew to specific roles and reassign as needs arise. It certainly makes me think of SoG crew tasks; yes, fires and leaks are mentioned on the notes.

Seems as bit pointless to me. Just those two actions of fires and leaks did not have to be ordered by the Captain.
The Carpenter and his mates would go into action automatically as a specific unit whenever needed during a battle, and fire crews were likewise set up to deal with any conflagration. The only time the Captain would issue orders is if he needed to send extra men to assist.
I can see the point of other orders, but not these two in particular.
Rob.

Nightmoss
02-16-2016, 09:32
Seems as bit pointless to me. Just those two actions of fires and leaks did not have to be ordered by the Captain.
The Carpenter and his mates would go into action automatically as a specific unit whenever needed during a battle, and fire crews were likewise set up to deal with any conflagration. The only time the Captain would issue orders is if he needed to send extra men to assist.
I can see the point of other orders, but not these two in particular.
Rob.

Re-reading the dev blog I'm not sure at this point if you'll have to order them specifically to do their jobs or not? At the start of a battle you set crew to their main tasks; gunnery, sailing, etc. As the ship takes losses you may have to reassign to keep things going. Someone was reading in chat last night that they are calculating that it takes six men fix a major leak so as crew numbers drop and more leaks occur you wont be able to keep up with the flooding? Same with fire I suppose? Now in game you just hit a key that reads "survival" and hope the free crew can put out the fire. It's unclear how, or if, you'll have the option to assign more crew to a task in emergencies.

I suspect there's no way they can create a realistic battle as the time frame involved would keep most folks from wanting to play. Multi hour battles have been reduced to an hour and 30 minutes.

What is most clear now with these new changes is that if you try to sail a ship that's under crewed you will suffer penalties to operation. There will be levels of performance and once you start losing crew certain tasks will not be handled as efficiently or at all?

Bligh
02-16-2016, 12:26
Now that makes more sense to me. Thanks for clearing that up Jim. I can live with that. It will be interesting to see how this game develops.
Rob.

surfimp
02-16-2016, 15:45
Speaking of development, look what they just posted to Facebook earlier today:

http://i.imgur.com/Ekqiydq.jpg

Hubba Hubba!

Nightmoss
02-16-2016, 16:57
Speaking of development, look what they just posted to Facebook earlier today:

http://i.imgur.com/Ekqiydq.jpg

Hubba Hubba!

No joke!!! Thank you for the photo. This is the ship I'm also waiting for and I know it's high on the list for addition to the game. Santisima Trinidad and HMS Victory are already in game so this one is coming sooner than later I hope!

surfimp
02-16-2016, 17:03
No joke!!! Thank you for the photo. This is the ship I'm also waiting for and I know it's high on the list for addition to the game. Santisima Trinidad and HMS Victory are already in game so this one is coming sooner than later I hope!

I've owned Naval Action since Dec. 2014 but have only played it off-and-on, after an initial 40hr+ burst of enthusiasm during the "Sea Trials" phase. At that time, I believe I only unlocked up to the Snow or something, so I've never even had one of the really powerful ships yet.

Now that I've begun playing (only on the PvE server) after the hard wipe, I have only worked my way up to a Lynx, which I was able to take as prize from some pirates as part of an Admiralty mission. It's not a very powerful ship, but I love schooners and I love the look of the Lynx, so I'll be quite happy with it for a while.

I'm a little intimidated by the grind required to get up into the larger ships, but hopefully I'll someday unlock the USS Constitution. That's the one I'm looking forward to :)

Nightmoss
02-16-2016, 17:11
I've owned Naval Action since Dec. 2014 but have only played it off-and-on, after an initial 40hr+ burst of enthusiasm during the "Sea Trials" phase. At that time, I believe I only unlocked up to the Snow or something, so I've never even had one of the really powerful ships yet.

Now that I've begun playing (only on the PvE server) after the hard wipe, I have only worked my way up to a Lynx, which I was able to take as prize from some pirates as part of an Admiralty mission. It's not a very powerful ship, but I love schooners and I love the look of the Lynx, so I'll be quite happy with it for a while.

I'm a little intimidated by the grind required to get up into the larger ships, but hopefully I'll someday unlock the USS Constitution. That's the one I'm looking forward to :)

Steve, I'm part of a fairly large 'fleet' of players who are affiliated with the USA on the PVE server. If you want an invite in game please send me a message and I'd be happy to bring you aboard the American Continental Navy [ACN]. We regularly have 8 to 10 folks online at any given time. Ranking up has been fairly rapid when we do missions as a group or move to attack 3rd Rates prowling US waters. I reached Captain last evening and we have two members who will soon be at Flag Captain level and able to sail the USS Constitution. In game name is Sebastian T. Keeler. Send me a message if you'd like. Cheers!

surfimp
02-16-2016, 17:26
Steve, I'm part of a fairly large 'fleet' of players who are affiliated with the USA on the PVE server. If you want an invite in game please send me a message and I'd be happy to bring you aboard the American Continental Navy [ACN]. We regularly have 8 to 10 folks online at any given time. Ranking up has been fairly rapid when we do missions as a group or move to attack 3rd Rates prowling US waters. I reached Captain last evening and we have two members who will soon be at Flag Captain level and able to sail the USS Constitution. In game name is Sebastian T. Keeler. Send me a message if you'd like. Cheers!
That's a nice offer which I appreciate. I've started as Spain but am at such a low level that it won't hurt anything to reset over to USA. I've previously flown with a squadron in Rise of Flight and enjoyed it. Not sure how much time I'll devote to the game but as it's the PVE server hopefully that won't be too much of an issue.

P.S. - I'm surfimp everywhere :)

Nightmoss
02-16-2016, 17:36
That's a nice offer which I appreciate. I've started as Spain but am at such a low level that it won't hurt anything to reset over to USA. I've previously flown with a squadron in Rise of Flight and enjoyed it. Not sure how much time I'll devote to the game but as it's the PVE server hopefully that won't be too much of an issue.

P.S. - I'm surfimp everywhere :)

The offer is always open. We even have Teamspeak although that is certainly not a requirement to be a member of ACN. I fell in with this group quite by accident. Someone posted in nation chat an open invite to anyone who wanted to join. I took them up on the offer and have had a very enjoyable time so far. A nice range of ages and such.

Some of the folks may end up on the pvp server, but that's not something I'll be persuing.

TexaS
02-16-2016, 22:49
I'm surprised they have three first rates and only Bellona as the only third rate. I would have made the Téméraire-class directly after the first first rate. It's the most iconic napoleonic ship in my eyes. Also they were built by by both France and England.

Nightmoss
02-17-2016, 10:09
I'm surprised they have three first rates and only Bellona as the only third rate. I would have made the Téméraire-class directly after the first first rate. It's the most iconic napoleonic ship in my eyes. Also they were built by by both France and England.

I don't know for certain, but I suspect it had to do with promoting the game launch initially? If you're starting out with a new IP you want something big and flashy and you get that with first rates, not 3rd's?

Right now there are only two First Rates actually in game, HMS Victory and Santisima Trinidad. I doubt we'll see the Ocean class for up to a year? Only one fourth rate as well, USS Constitution.

They are clearly focusing on the other rates now and they're trying to balance the call for national recognition. The Dutch, Danes, Spanish and Swedes are especially vocal on the forums demanding "their" ships be represented in Naval Action. A new content patch expected in two weeks might bring 2-3 new ships; USS Niagara, Essex another they're not mentioning specifically?

It's all a waiting game, somewhat similar to Sails of Glory. :wink:

surfimp
02-17-2016, 11:15
The Facebook post made it sound like L'Ocean had been part of Sea Trials a while back and was just needing to be updated somewhat for the current version. So hopefully it won't be too long before we see it.

I agree that within the context of an MMO, where XP grinding is required to unlock more sophisticated ships, you've got to have the promise of some really awesome stuff at the "top of the ladder" to make working through the lower level ships seem more compelling. Within that context, releasing a number of well-known 1st rates seems to make a lot of sense to me... by releasing L'Ocean they will have addressed 1st rates for the three major belligerents of the Napoleonic AoS and it will then make sense to fill out the middle (which is already served somewhat by the Bellona). Just my twopence :)

Nightmoss
02-17-2016, 11:33
The Facebook post made it sound like L'Ocean had been part of Sea Trials a while back and was just needing to be updated somewhat for the current version. So hopefully it won't be too long before we see it.

I agree that within the context of an MMO, where XP grinding is required to unlock more sophisticated ships, you've got to have the promise of some really awesome stuff at the "top of the ladder" to make working through the lower level ships seem more compelling. Within that context, releasing a number of well-known 1st rates seems to make a lot of sense to me... by releasing L'Ocean they will have addressed 1st rates for the three major belligerents of the Napoleonic AoS and it will then make sense to fill out the middle (which is already served somewhat by the Bellona). Just my twopence :)

I hope you're correct. I thought I saw another post somewhere in the Shipyard thread that made it sound like this ship and others were further down the pipeline?

While some may not agree I still believe content is king in gaming and you need to keep the new stuff flowing or you'll lose your player base. This applies to board games and video games alike.

surfimp
02-17-2016, 16:56
While some may not agree I still believe content is king in gaming and you need to keep the new stuff flowing or you'll lose your player base. This applies to board games and video games alike.

I completely agree; gamers have "bright shiny object syndrome" and are easily distracted unless there is a constant trickle of new "stuff" to keep their attention focused on a particular game or system. This is one area where I'm a bit worried that Ares is having issues, at least as concerns SoG and WoG.

Bligh
02-18-2016, 01:54
I think you chaps have hit the nail on the head there.
My own experience of gaming is driven over the years by four or so things.
1. Are models available in enough quantity to keep me playing/ painting/ collecting/ building.
2. Sufficient background reading to keep me interested and develop my desire to emulate what I have read.
3. How many friends are also interested in playing the same game.
4. Ways of expanding the game to prevent too much repetition of the same scenarios.

Over the years I have found that my interest usually wains from about 5 to ten years in, depending on these factors holding up.

As a founder member of this Forum I should be getting close to the 5 year point. Fortunately, I started being active only about 18 months ago. so there is mileage left.
I still have background reading to get through in abundance.
I have friends to play with at home, on line and at shows.
I have hardly scraped the surface of ideas for scenarios and building.
That ticks all the boxes bar one, and we all know which that is.

Rob.

TexaS
02-18-2016, 10:25
My long love of the age of sail will be constant.
My attachment to Sails of Glory may fade, though.

The minis might be changed to other basing and be used with other rules if I loose interest in SoG but I doubt I will stop using the even though I might spend time at Great Northern Wars Thirty Years War or American Civil War again.

surfimp
02-18-2016, 10:56
The minis might be changed to other basing and be used with other rules if I loose interest in SoG but I doubt I will stop using the even though I might spend time at Great Northern Wars Thirty Years War or American Civil War again.

And that, in a nutshell, is the beauty of historicals versus fantasy and sci-fi games: your preferred units and factions can never get "squatted (https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Squat)"*, and your minis can be re-used in new, as yet unwritten rulesets.

Plus historical minis seem to be quite a good value (in terms of cost) compared to most fantasy and sci-fi systems. I quite like that.

* "Squat" is also sometimes used as a verb by fans of Warhammer 40k. This refers to the removal of the Squats from both the game and the fluff behind it; in particular, some people believe that other armies will be "squatted" from 40k, which is to say, their model line will be removed and they will no longer be playable in 40k.

Broadsword56
02-18-2016, 11:30
Does Naval Action have a sandbox mode where you can create your own scenarios and select your own ships for something more historical, instead of this gamey head-to-head kid stuff?

surfimp
02-18-2016, 11:53
Does Naval Action have a sandbox mode where you can create your own scenarios and select your own ships for something more historical, instead of this gamey head-to-head kid stuff?

Naval Action is a MMO (massively multiplayer online) game with a dynamic open world. What that means is that the players are constantly interacting with each other, as well as the environment, and defining in that moment what exactly is going on. In that sense, the game is solely a sandbox mode - though there is the option of engaging in large and small fleet skirmishes via the "Missions" menu available in any port in the open world.

You start off as a Midshipman (or equivalent, depending on your faction) with command of a fore-and-aft rigged Cutter with 40 crewmen. From there, you can complete Admiralty Missions against pirates, engage in trading, and perform crafting to "level up" your character, earning gold (needed for buying supplies, trade goods, better cannons, etc.), XP (needed for promotion to higher ranks) and Crafting XP (needed for manufacturing more advanced components / ships / etc).

As you get promoted, you'll be able to command larger crews and hence, larger ships. You can sail larger ships with smaller crews but the performance of the ship will suffer. Same goes for crafting, at the beginning you'll only be able to make basic things, but as you level up you'll be able to produce more sophisticated and better quality items, allowing you to craft more advanced goods and, ultimately, better quality ships. Gold is self explanatory but needed to purchase trade goods (there's a full economy in place, though it's early access so it needs some tweaking) as well as purchase a variety of upgrades (to make your ship more competent) as well as ships crafted by other players and listed for sale in various ports.

The entire Caribbean has been recreated based on 18th century maps and you can literally sail anywhere you want. Different ports are controlled by more-or-less historically accurate nations and you can engage with trade with those with whom you are not at war and/or which are neutral.

Groups of players have teamed up to create "Guilds" and "Clans" which engage in warfare with one another on the PVP (player vs player) server to conquer ports and, thereby, take over more and more of the map.

On the PVE (player vs environment) server, you don't fight against other players but rather against AI opponents. Conquest of harbors is not permitted, but players can and do team up to take on stronger AI opponents in larger fleet engagements.

I'm far from an expert on Naval Action but I think the above is sufficient to demonstrate that there's a bit more going on than "kiddie stuff" in the game.

Broadsword56
02-18-2016, 12:50
Steve, thanks for the summary. I'm sure a lot of people find Naval Action fun. But to me, it seems to be set up so rigidly that there's only one way to play and enjoy it (MMO, career mode, unlocking ships), and that's not that way I enjoy wargames. It's a shame, because the environment looks so great that it would be a promising computer alternative to physical miniatures. What I'd want would be the option to set up one's own live game on open water or a water-land map (either provided ones or modder contributions) select any available authentic ship types, set the various conditions for the scenario, and play. Then one could stage historical battles, or use it as a tactical engine to resolve battles when they occur in operational-level naval wargames like mine (A Glorious Chance) or 1805 Sea of Glory, etc. They could easily have done that, but the online gaming world always seems to follow the money (no surprise there) and aim for the largest and most commercial audience.

DeRuyter
02-18-2016, 13:50

Steve: Try to get a Privateer - basically a Lynx with 12 18 lb carronades. Fast upwind and will demolish AI at close range and with enough crew to board and take traders. The AI privateers are usually armed with 6 lb cannon and you can take them with a basic cutter. You can find them in missions. Take down the stern and grape the crew to cap it.

I have more fun with the mid level ships anyway so I don't look at the grind that far, also more small ships are on the way - USS Rattlesnake is one. On the PvP server there are shallow water port battles where the largest ship allowed is a Mercury brig. Finding a group and capturing an AI 3rd rate will net you a lot of XP.

DeRuyter
02-18-2016, 14:14
Steve, thanks for the summary. I'm sure a lot of people find Naval Action fun. But to me, it seems to be set up so rigidly that there's only one way to play and enjoy it (MMO, career mode, unlocking ships), and that's not that way I enjoy wargames. It's a shame, because the environment looks so great that it would be a promising computer alternative to physical miniatures. What I'd want would be the option to set up one's own live game on open water or a water-land map (either provided ones or modder contributions) select any available authentic ship types, set the various conditions for the scenario, and play. Then one could stage historical battles, or use it as a tactical engine to resolve battles when they occur in operational-level naval wargames like mine (A Glorious Chance) or 1805 Sea of Glory, etc. They could easily have done that, but the online gaming world always seems to follow the money (no surprise there) and aim for the largest and most commercial audience.

You are really describing a different game - this is an open sandbox MMO centered around 18th century naval ships and combat. They are developing an economic side of things as well. In that sense some people say it is very flexible because the players determine everything, economy, diplomacy, ship building, etc. So the historic strategic situation found in say "1805 Sea of Glory" is determined by the actions of player organized clans. I participated in a port battle last night to take a British port and stop their advance up the Yucatan towards Cuba and Fla. One of the largest KS ever funded was for an MMO - Star Citizen, so yeah big $$ in this style of game. The NA developers are a small group and their other title is similar to an old school game - Ultimate General -Gettysburg. Not sure you can mod it though. AFAIK one of the devs did a lot of mods for Total War Napoleon - which is similar to what you are describing.

In the past players have arraigned large "Trafalgar" style battles, but obviously one has to use the ships available in the game. (Available on You Tube) So you can get the feel of a large fleet battle or frigate action with some of the historic ships. Since I am also a wargamer first I do like your idea though - to be able to set up a specific battle would be great - like the old computer moderated rules Clear for Action - only with graphics! I wonder if you can do this with the Total War series?

BTW - I wouldn't describe it as "gamey" head to head kid stuff - this is not a FPS (First Person Shooter - ie Call of Duty) clicky game. There are a lot of people involved that have put in a lot of effort to get the ships and combat model as realistic as possible. In fact it is too slow for a lot of the "kids"!! In my group we have several retired military and others who have studied naval history much as we do here. Also as Jim noted there is a server which is essentially coop rather than fighting between the players.

DeRuyter
02-18-2016, 14:32
I don't know for certain, but I suspect it had to do with promoting the game launch initially? If you're starting out with a new IP you want something big and flashy and you get that with first rates, not 3rd's?

Right now there are only two First Rates actually in game, HMS Victory and Santisima Trinidad. I doubt we'll see the Ocean class for up to a year? Only one fourth rate as well, USS Constitution.

They are clearly focusing on the other rates now and they're trying to balance the call for national recognition. The Dutch, Danes, Spanish and Swedes are especially vocal on the forums demanding "their" ships be represented in Naval Action. A new content patch expected in two weeks might bring 2-3 new ships; USS Niagara, Essex another they're not mentioning specifically?

It's all a waiting game, somewhat similar to Sails of Glory. :wink:

Jim - AFAIK -We are going to see: USS Rattlesnake (in fact she is pictured on the devblog about crew management), USS Essex, Ingermanland (64 gun ship Russian I think) and 1-2 large traders (Indiamen) - Amsterdam and Gros Ventre. Oh and they are also working on Bucenture (sp).

They also just completed the player ship vote for 2016 - I forget the top ship - I think another Dutch ship. I think they said some new ships may come in the next few patches. They are working on shipyards and production buildings as well.

The big feature at least for the PvP server is the rework of port battles with the various forts and land in the battle instances, which is coming in the Spring.

surfimp
02-18-2016, 14:40
Steve: Try to get a Privateer - basically a Lynx with 12 18 lb carronades. Fast upwind and will demolish AI at close range and with enough crew to board and take traders. The AI privateers are usually armed with 6 lb cannon and you can take them with a basic cutter. You can find them in missions. Take down the stern and grape the crew to cap it.

Yes, I've been coming up against the regular Lynxes (only four guns a side IIRC) but only just last night got promoted to Jr. Lt. (USA), so probably was at too low a level to see a Privateer before. Hopefully now, that will change :)

I have become pretty proficient at the "ball the stern & rudder, chain the sails, grape the crew" thing for capturing. Before I switched to USA (last night) I had captured a few Trader Brigs, a Lynx and a Traders Lynx on my Spanish account. I like using the Yacht because it's a little more nimble than the Cutter, and I have 12lb carronnades and the "quick turn" rigging on it for the purpose. Having lots of fun!

Broadsword56
02-18-2016, 18:01
BTW - I wouldn't describe it as "gamey" head to head kid stuff - this is not a FPS (First Person Shooter - ie Call of Duty) clicky game. There are a lot of people involved that have put in a lot of effort to get the ships and combat model as realistic as possible. In fact it is too slow for a lot of the "kids"!! In my group we have several retired military and others who have studied naval history much as we do here. Also as Jim noted there is a server which is essentially coop rather than fighting between the players.

You know, Steve, your excitement for this game comes through so sincerely that you've almost convinced me to give it a try!

surfimp
02-18-2016, 22:04
You know, Steve, your excitement for this game comes through so sincerely that you've almost convinced me to give it a try!

I think that was actually Eric that you quoted, but I'm pretty enthusiastic about Naval Action, too. I've had it since late 2014 and have been enjoying it ever since. I generally prefer tabletop miniatures games to video games, as I like the tactile sense of being there with my opponent (and heck, playing with toys!) but there are certain video games I enjoy, too. They tend to be pretty specific and pretty simulation oriented. Rise of Flight is my favorite flight sim, and although I don't have much to compare it against, I am really enjoying Naval Action.

With that said, it's still in very early Early Access, meaning there is much that will be improved. The developers are actively enhancing it, but it's a bit rough right now. The expectation is that it will continue to get better - it's quite playable and stable now - with time and further improvement. The devs are also pretty good at listening to the community and taking their feedback onboard. I don't have much to compare it against but I'm suitably pleased so far. There's also no DLC model - you pay once and get everything. I like that quite a bit.

Nightmoss
02-19-2016, 09:13
Jim - AFAIK -We are going to see: USS Rattlesnake (in fact she is pictured on the devblog about crew management), USS Essex, Ingermanland (64 gun ship Russian I think) and 1-2 large traders (Indiamen) - Amsterdam and Gros Ventre. Oh and they are also working on Bucenture (sp).

They also just completed the player ship vote for 2016 - I forget the top ship - I think another Dutch ship. I think they said some new ships may come in the next few patches. They are working on shipyards and production buildings as well.

The big feature at least for the PvP server is the rework of port battles with the various forts and land in the battle instances, which is coming in the Spring.

I think that was actually Eric that you quoted, but I'm pretty enthusiastic about Naval Action, too. I've had it since late 2014 and have been enjoying it ever since. I generally prefer tabletop miniatures games to video games, as I like the tactile sense of being there with my opponent (and heck, playing with toys!) but there are certain video games I enjoy, too. They tend to be pretty specific and pretty simulation oriented. Rise of Flight is my favorite flight sim, and although I don't have much to compare it against, I am really enjoying Naval Action.

With that said, it's still in very early Early Access, meaning there is much that will be improved. The developers are actively enhancing it, but it's a bit rough right now. The expectation is that it will continue to get better - it's quite playable and stable now - with time and further improvement. The devs are also pretty good at listening to the community and taking their feedback onboard. I don't have much to compare it against but I'm suitably pleased so far. There's also no DLC model - you pay once and get everything. I like that quite a bit.

Eric, thanks for the information and update on the pvp side. Our "Fleet" (I don't like the term clan) is now over 45 members I believe now that Steve joined up last night. We have some folks who are now moving over to a pvp server and I wish them well, but I'm very content on staying on pve so I can enjoy the entire map without hindrance. Ironically I was attacked by a NPC privateer yesterday, but easily escaped in my cutter.

Gina, all I can tell you is that sailing a simulation like this is very enjoyable, relaxing and fulfilling even as a casual pve player. The sandbox navigation is a challenge and I love it. I spent several real time hours yesterday sailing from Bugle Cay all the way to Camp du Roy. Sunny weather, rain storms, thunder, etc.

Steve, as I said in the pm, don't hesitate to ask members of ACN to group up. Some of them are regularly taking down 3rd rates in large fleet operations. Every one is different and how you sail in battle and react to the AI is a unique experience. I got in on several missions last night and my last one against a single Bellona 74 netted me over 500 xp. What everyone in our group is looking for now is either the Tricomalee ship or its blueprint. Our shipwright is up to making Frigates. See you in game. Oh a final note that we finally got a female player joining ACN. I do wish we had more women in game, but it's just not happening.

Bligh
02-19-2016, 09:26
Well it is certainly intriguing me and I have not played anything since "Napoleon Total War".
Rob.

surfimp
02-19-2016, 10:09
Well it is certainly intriguing me and I have not played anything since "Napoleon Total War".

Rob it's quite fun, and while the learning curve is a bit steep, it is entirely surmountable with a bit of effort. And the community has done an excellent job of creating how-to guides, videos, and pretty much everything else you might need to get up to speed. You can certainly have fun right off the bat versus the AI, I am certainly still finding it a challenge, though I've only got just under 70hrs in the game so far (since Dec. 2014 - I'm a "filthy casual" lol).

The UI (user interface) in the port screen is a temporary placeholder and IMHO the roughest part of the whole thing right now. While not particularly intuitive at first blush, it is quite functional.

Overall the game is exceptionally stable for an Early Access / alpha-level production - I've never had a single crash, nor other annoyance.. "it just works", which is great. And performance, even in the open world (which loads seamlessly and fluidly) has been good on "Medium" settings for my nearly 6 year old computer. Granted, I built my machine for flight simulation, so it was once reasonably powerful, but it's quite aged at this point. Despite that, for me, Naval Action still performs quite well and looks good. With a more powerful machine, it can look absolutely beautiful.

The bottom line is that for the cost of a few SoG ships, you can have quite a lot of virtual fun. And meet and play with cool people like Nightmoss. I've been well pleased with the purchase.

Bligh
02-19-2016, 13:04
Thanks very much for the critique of the game Steve.
If I can find the time to fit it in I will give it a lookover probably with my son who takes part in a lot of these interactive community games.
Rob.

surfimp
02-22-2016, 11:06
Wow so I've joined Nightmoss' clan (such an unfortunate word but standard in MMOs), the American Continental Navy, and it's so much fun! I'm only sailing a lowly 7th rate Privateer (a topsail schooner with 12 guns) and last night we grouped up to take on some 3rd rates and and small fleets. I didn't get sunk! And I leveled up to 2nd Lieutenant. And then one of the other group members crafted me a brig (so I could be slightly less useless versus the SOLs hahah)

Woohooo! :happy:

I'd say Naval Action is quite fun played solo, but playing with a group of teammates is even better. Thanks again Nightmoss!

Nightmoss
02-22-2016, 11:33
Wow so I've joined Nightmoss' clan (such an unfortunate word but standard in MMOs), the American Continental Navy, and it's so much fun! I'm only sailing a lowly 7th rate Privateer (a topsail schooner with 12 guns) and last night we grouped up to take on some 3rd rates and and small fleets. I didn't get sunk! And I leveled up to 2nd Lieutenant. And then one of the other group members crafted me a brig (so I could be slightly less useless versus the SOLs hahah)

Woohooo! :happy:

I'd say Naval Action is quite fun played solo, but playing with a group of teammates is even better. Thanks again Nightmoss!

We're very happy to have you on board Steve. It was great fun and you did an impressive job of sailing around the big hitters!! :thumbsup: Grats on the next level too, also.

By the way, the Naval Action forums have a poll up that's asking players to choose a term that they would prefer using instead of 'clan'. I know Fleet and Squadron are listed (I voted for Fleets), but I don't know if/when they may push for that updated distinction?

See you online.

Jim

surfimp
02-22-2016, 12:00
By the way, the Naval Action forums have a poll up that's asking players to choose a term that they would prefer using instead of 'clan'. I know Fleet and Squadron are listed (I voted for Fleets), but I don't know if/when they may push for that updated distinction?

Found the thread and voted, as well as made a comment for why I feel strongly about the word 'clan'. I feel so strongly about it, it's been a deterrent to getting involved in MMOs as I'm loathe to associate myself with the term in any way, shape or form.

I'm pleased to see the developers are taking on board feedback from the community and are willing to change. I voted for Fleet, too.

Nightmoss
02-23-2016, 09:36
Found the thread and voted, as well as made a comment for why I feel strongly about the word 'clan'. I feel so strongly about it, it's been a deterrent to getting involved in MMOs as I'm loathe to associate myself with the term in any way, shape or form.

I'm pleased to see the developers are taking on board feedback from the community and are willing to change. I voted for Fleet, too.

Clan does have several word associations, but it's primary definition is linked to ancestral descent, and being part Scottish I choose to think it refers to the Highland Clans of Scotland? Clan is not Klan if that's why you have a strong aversion to the word? I sure hope you don't dislike the Scottish Clans? :wink:

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofScotland/The-Highland-Clans/

surfimp
02-23-2016, 11:07
Clan does have several word associations, but it's primary definition is linked to ancestral descent, and being part Scottish I choose to think it refers to the Highland Clans of Scotland? Clan is not Klan if that's why you have a strong aversion to the word? I sure hope you don't dislike the Scottish Clans? :wink:

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofScotland/The-Highland-Clans/

Oh sure, the usage of the word "clan" predates by hundreds if not thousands of years the unfortunate period of mid-19th century US history I'm referring to (yes, the KKK), but the same can be said for the swastika's worldwide usage prior to its appropriation by the Nazi party in the mid-20th century. It just gives me the heebie jeebies - a visceral reaction, i.e. personal problem on my part. Can't help it!

Devsdoc
02-23-2016, 19:27
Steve,
It is sad that a word which on the whole has a good and together meaning has been highjacked by a small group of small minded people. I as an Englishman with Scots blood (my Farther) take prided that I can be a member of a Scottish Clan.
That said, in the 70's and 80's the English flag of "St George" Red Cross on a White background was highjacked by our right-wing skinheads who hated all non-English and non-white folks. I like many in the U.K. could not use our flag. Very sad that a small group stopped a Nation using it's flag. So we use the Union Flag (Union Jack). It was at the Rugby World Cup some years ago that we as a Nation started using our English flag again. I can now hold my head and flag up high. To think it took so long for us to get our own flag back is a very sad thing. But we did!
Be safe
Rory

surfimp
02-24-2016, 01:50
Good points Rory!

On a lighter note, sailing with the Fleet / Guild / etc., the American Continental Navy, has been amazing for my progression through the lower ranks. This time last week, I was still a lowly Midshipman. Tonight, I helped my teammates sink two Spanish 3rd rates using my Mercury brig armed with 24lb carronades, focusing on exploiting my ship's greater maneuverability to get in close for some stern raking action.

The results were good!! And I'm more than halfway towards 1st Lieutenant as consequence. :)

http://i.imgur.com/doyGDGw.png

For comparison, a typical Admiralty mission will net you only 50XP, and it's 1000+ XP per rank, and higher ranks are how you get the crew needed to sail the larger ships. So one can easily understand why getting ~400XP per mission when sailing with a Fleet - which allows you to take on bigger and badder opponents through teamwork - is a big advantage!!

Thanks Nightmoss for the invite, I'm having a blast! :medal:

Screenshot from one of tonight's missions. My ship is in the foreground, and Nightmoss and another teammate are delivering broadsides to a poor Spanish 3rd rate caught in the pickle between them.

http://i.imgur.com/lTy9HKw.jpg

Bligh
02-24-2016, 02:12
Looks great to me Steve.
Just like a period painting.
You could hang that on your wall.
Rob.

Nightmoss
02-24-2016, 10:58
Thanks for that image, Steve. It looks great and as Rob said almost picture hanging worthy. I'm very happy you joined up with the ACN. I'm also enjoying sailing the Trincomalee, which up until today was probably the only Trincomalee in the USA? What a marvelous ship.

surfimp
02-25-2016, 22:26
Sailing to Cuba, passing Mimbres at sunset in my Privateer:

http://i.imgur.com/w9Iaacv.jpg

This is a great game :)

Bligh
02-26-2016, 02:23
That certainly is another fine picture Steve.
I must resist the temptation, or I'd never get all my work done both here and on the Drome.
Rob.

Nightmoss
02-26-2016, 09:25
That certainly is another fine picture Steve.
I must resist the temptation, or I'd never get all my work done both here and on the Drome.
Rob.

Rob, the game really is a time sink although a pleasant one for sure. I wont tell you how many hours I've 'sunk' into the simulation so far and they still say it's an alpha realease! :shock:

Bligh
02-26-2016, 09:36
Rob, the game really is a time sink although a pleasant one for sure. I wont tell you how many hours I've 'sunk' into the simulation so far and they still say it's an alpha realease! :shock:

I can imagine Jim.
I spent all my spare time on Rome Total War for months, and then moved on to the rest of the series as they came out with all the extensions etc.
If Wings had not drawn me in I may well have still playing.
Rob.

Nightmoss
02-27-2016, 10:10
I can imagine Jim.
I spent all my spare time on Rome Total War for months, and then moved on to the rest of the series as they came out with all the extensions etc.
If Wings had not drawn me in I may well have still playing.
Rob.

It may have been mentioned by someone already, but one of the developers on Naval Action was a major moder for the game Total War: Napoleon. He got hooked by the naval aspects of the game and we're reaping the benefits from his interest.

Nightmoss
02-28-2016, 10:15
We've been talking about ship fires and explosions in game recently and unfortunately one of our fleet members experience it first hand on his 3rd Rate last night. We'd entered a battle against a large Spanish fleet and within minutes of the opening it sounds like his computer disconnected because of a Windows 10 update. By the time he got back on his ship had caught fire and its crew had gone into fire shock. There wasn't much he could do to manage the ship at that point and it eventually blew up.

I only got one screenshot as you don't want to hang around any ship that's about to explode. He lost the ship of course but also lost a number of ship upgrades that were on it. You don't need pvp for excitement that's for sure.

Bligh
02-28-2016, 12:09
Another good reason for not having Windows 10. I don't want anyone taking over my Computer and shutting programmes down when I'm in the middle of something.
I bet he is still steaming today.
Nice shot though.
Rob.

surfimp
02-29-2016, 13:09
There were a ton of people sailing with the American Continental Navy on the PVE server last night!

http://i.imgur.com/eUQN3ei.jpg

Good times :)

Nightmoss
03-02-2016, 21:49
Probably only the second attempt at doing a line battle against a fleet of enemy AI. Fortunately, I was not on the mic that night so you don't hear my voice. :thumbsup:

Morrius17 did the video which you may enjoy. I don't expect you'll want to view the entire thing, but it was fun and netted everyone a good amount of gold and experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0crCZOj_LJY

Bligh
03-03-2016, 03:05
Well I did watch the lot and enjoyed every minute of it too Jim.
Your captains should be proud of the way they held the line of battle and clinically obliterated the Spanish Fleet.
Please pass on my thanks to your co Captains next time you are on line. I only wish I could give them all Rep in person, but I guess I will have to forgo that pleasure.
Thanks again gentlemen.
Rob.

Nightmoss
03-03-2016, 08:51
Well I did watch the lot and enjoyed every minute of it too Jim.
Your captains should be proud of the way they held the line of battle and clinically obliterated the Spanish Fleet.
Please pass on my thanks to your co Captains next time you are on line. I only wish I could give them all Rep in person, but I guess I will have to forgo that pleasure.
Thanks again gentlemen.
Rob.

Thanks Rob for the nice comments and rep. I'll be sure to pass along your thanks to the various captains of ACN.

We're currently waiting on a new content patch, which brings in some significant changes I've mentioned above. Hopefully it will also bring in the USS Niagara, HMS Essex and one other ship still not known by the players some days after the patch. Everything is on hold as we have heard a number of the development team (only 7 persons) are down with the flu.

Bligh
03-03-2016, 10:09
That is a mixture of good and bad news.
Please keep me posted and I hope you will be showing us more of these battles in the future,
Rob.

TexaS
03-03-2016, 12:28
It's much more fun to watch a battle where you actually hold the line rather than those everyone everywhere shooting at random that I find much more of on youtube.

Nightmoss
03-04-2016, 09:17
It's much more fun to watch a battle where you actually hold the line rather than those everyone everywhere shooting at random that I find much more of on youtube.

We will be trying more of these in the near future. If Morrius puts them up on YouTube I'll let you know. Cheers!

TexaS
03-04-2016, 10:46
Nice! Thank you. :thumbsup:

7eat51
03-04-2016, 12:30
Those are impressive images. Please remind me in case I forgot, but does this game run on Macs?

Nightmoss
03-05-2016, 09:44
Sorry, Eric, there are no plans to port this to Macs. Some folks have tried Bootcamp, but I've not heard of the results or stability. I did read recently that the devs would eventually like to bring this out as a stand alone game, but that wont occur until after the game is at full release. Full release is projected by some to be at least one to two years out.

7eat51
03-06-2016, 11:32
It's probably safer for me this way, Jim.

Nightmoss
03-06-2016, 18:43
Our latest line battle video on YouTube. I've not actually watched it myself, but I understand it's quite good. I believe we had more ships in this battle than previously. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfT6wmyNlBE&feature=youtu.be

Bligh
03-07-2016, 13:51
That was another mighty action Jim.
Well worth half an hour of my time.
Thanks.
Rob.

TexaS
03-07-2016, 15:47
Those are stll great videos to watch. The game have much improved the look of the smoke. I think it does wonders for the feel of the battle.

Bligh
03-08-2016, 08:18
I agree. I really can't wait for the next one.
Rob.

surfimp
03-12-2016, 00:51
Hunting wabbits near Cuba.

This is the first decent ship I've crafted myself, a pretty tricked out Lynx schooner. It's only got 4 guns per side, so rather weak, but it's quite fast and good at chasing down trade ships. And even better at running away from things that are bigger and badder than it is. I do a lot of each :)

Next I'll build a "Privateer"... basically the same ship, but with 6 guns per side and just a touch faster upwind.

I am all about the thrill of the hunt in this game. I sail solo, deep in enemy territory, and try to make prizes of enemy players' trade ships... without getting caught by their interceptors. It can be quite lucrative if they've got a full load of cargo aboard!

http://i.imgur.com/VEo4rZT.jpg

Bligh
03-12-2016, 11:07
This also sounds exciting Steve.
Are we likely to get any footage of you in action, or even a few more stills?
Rob.

Nightmoss
03-13-2016, 10:04
We've been working on demasting ships. Some folks use the mass broadside method while others are trying to sniper shot the masts off. In game it's not easy unless you and the target are somewhat stationary. Results pictured below:

Bligh
03-13-2016, 13:40
Which method works the best Jim?
Rob.

Nightmoss
03-13-2016, 19:43
Which method works the best Jim?
Rob.

I think the term "spray and pray" about sums it up? :wink:

Bligh
03-14-2016, 03:36
I suspected that you would say that Jim.

I must admit that I have not used the either the chain or grape shot more than once so far, as double shot seems to do the job for me, and consequently I have left masts sails, and seamen to take their normal chances. I do feel,however, that for the sake of historical accuracy I should add this facility to the repertoire of at least the French,whom I believe had a penchant for having a go at the the masts, or is that just another Victorian myth.
Rob.

Nightmoss
03-14-2016, 08:45
I suspected that you would say that Jim.

I must admit that I have not used the either the chain or grape shot more than once so far, as double shot seems to do the job for me, and consequently I have left masts sails, and seamen to take their normal chances. I do feel,however, that for the sake of historical accuracy I should add this facility to the repertoire of at least the French,whom I believe had a penchant for having a go at the the masts, or is that just another Victorian myth.
Rob.

It may be a myth, but one that has many believing in it? I've not ready that extensively on the subject, but what I have seen does indicate that the French aimed high (for rigging and masts) while the British aimed for the hull (having better trained gun crews with better accuracy).

Bligh
03-14-2016, 10:29
Thanks Jim.
I'll run with that until someone broadsides us then.
Rob.

Nightmoss
03-15-2016, 09:02
Acquired a new ship last night. While the Bellona is an excellent Ship of the Line the major benefit to it's building last night was the acquisition of the Santisima Trinidad blueprint by our shipbuilder. Needless to say the First Rate guys are ecstatic.

Bligh
03-15-2016, 12:38
Seems to be riding a bit high in the water Jim.
Have the Dockyard Mateys short changed you on provisions?
Bligh.:wink:

Nightmoss
03-16-2016, 12:16
Seems to be riding a bit high in the water Jim.
Have the Dockyard Mateys short changed you on provisions?
Bligh.:wink:

Visually that's something that does occur regularly in game. Fluid ocean rendering along with the ships motion makes for a challenging sim I expect. Either that or someone really goofed up on my ballasting!?! :shock:

TexaS
03-16-2016, 14:09
But she lays stable. There's no visible lean.

Nightmoss
03-19-2016, 09:45
There's a day and night cycle in Naval Action and sometimes the sunrises and sunsets are quite impressive. I was sailing in the Bellona recently and thought I'd take a few screenshots to show off the cabin and ship lighting as dawn approaches. Cheers!

Bligh
03-19-2016, 14:25
I can just imagine myself looking out of those stern windows at the shimmering phosphorescence in the wake of the ship.
Rob.

Nightmoss
03-19-2016, 22:19
Had an interesting encounter with the Bellona this evening. I took on a British 3rd Rate just outside of Jobe and managed to set it on fire. Due to crew losses and fire shock the ship actually exploded, which I have only seen happen in videos. Whenever it's happened before I seem to be looking elsewhere when the explosion occurs. It also blew off the main mast. I wish I'd had the camera filming rather than a single frame.

Bligh
03-20-2016, 02:15
I bet that was pretty exciting to see Jim.
I like the on board view of your ship.
Do you get a 360 of the deck etc like in other games?
The ones we have watched of the Fleet actions seem to just concentrate on the overview of the battle as a whole.
Rob.

Nightmoss
03-20-2016, 10:01
I bet that was pretty exciting to see Jim.
I like the on board view of your ship.
Do you get a 360 of the deck etc like in other games?
The ones we have watched of the Fleet actions seem to just concentrate on the overview of the battle as a whole.
Rob.

You can zoom in and look at your deck and crew during the battles. I think the 'view' is centered on the main mast and you can pivot 360 from there. In the open world you can also zoom in, but the animated crew is absent. There's also a 'free camera' that lets you move up and away from your ship to view an entire area. We keep saying we'll try to 'film' a battle from that vantage point, but it hasn't happened yet.

Bligh
03-20-2016, 10:20
Thanks for the comprehensive answer Jim.
I bet you know what my next question is!:happy:

Will you take a few screen shots to show us around your ship please.:please:
Rob.

Nightmoss
03-21-2016, 09:04
Thanks for the comprehensive answer Jim.
I bet you know what my next question is!:happy:

Will you take a few screen shots to show us around your ship please.:please:
Rob.

I can do that. Which ship would you like to see? I'm currently sailing the Bellona, but within the next two weeks I should have HMS Victory to take photos of. Also, USS Constitution, HMS Surprise, generic 3rd Rate, HMS Trincomalee, etc., are in dock.

Nightmoss
03-21-2016, 10:08
First HMS Victory for the USA on the PVE servers (as far as we know) was just constructed. I got a few screenshots, but this was my favorite to date.

Bligh
03-21-2016, 10:24
Surprise would be great for me Jim, but any ship that the rest of the shipmates would like to see would be fine also.
Rob.

KDz
03-22-2016, 14:11
Game looks fantastic :clap:
It's piety, that my comp does not impose these graphic requirements :cry:

Nightmoss
03-30-2016, 10:54
We finally have the Santisima Trinidad in Naval Action. Our ship builder crafted this for one of the fleet member just a few days ago. While I might prefer using a Sails of Glory version of the Santisima Trinidad one takes what one can get. Cheers!

Bligh
03-30-2016, 15:58
Well that looks a fine ship Jim. I wonder when we will get ours?
Rob.

surfimp
03-30-2016, 17:36
Congrats Jim! That Santisima looks magnificent.

I'm still playing a ton of Naval Action, to the detriment of my motivation/time available to play tabletop games, I'm sorry to say.

I don't know exactly what it is about this game, but it really scratches all the right itches for me.

I've now sunk (pardon the pun) over 200hrs into the game (having owned it since Dec. 2014), with most of it in the last 8 weeks or so since Steam Early Access launch. :shock:

In fairness, though, that makes the $40 investment I made in it back then quite good, in a "dollars per hour of fun" sense.

I've only had a handful of other video games that have captured my interest to this level... Minecraft (which is still my all-time biggest game timesink), Rise of Flight (second place) and now Naval Action (which will most likely reach second place here before too long). Civilization 5, with "only" 160hrs or so, is falling rapidly away in a distant fourth place.

The good news is that the developers are releasing new enhancements on a regular basis and, on the balance, they seem to be good. I know they certainly haven't turned me off the game.

Forthcoming are the long-awaited "land in" battles, where, if a battle is initiated close to a landmass, the landmass will be rendered in the battle instance. Originally, the developers thought this would be too difficult, but happily it seems they've found a way around it. I can't wait!

http://i.imgur.com/FlTZtfp.jpg

Banana_Joe
04-21-2016, 02:31
Lovely game. Backed it back in 2014, but rarely have time to play. Only ranked up to the point where you get 150men as a crew. Sailing for France.

Nightmoss
04-21-2016, 09:27
Thanks for the update and great photo. Naval Action is rather in a down time for me at the moment. The developers in their efforts to 'balance' the game have gone totally bonkers on AI abilities. I know many folks who have outright rage quit the game after losing very expensive ships to an AI that can sink you ships without taking any damage themselves. Unless they tune back the AI and damage issues I won't be doing much other than crafting and enjoying the sight. Missions, even in large groups, can be disastrous.

The worse part of this is any new player coming in is going to suffer a huge disadvantage against the AI abilities. Being beaten by AI repeatedly is not how you bring new folks to your game. I hope the developers realize that average gamers are likely to move on when faced with 'simulations' that are too difficult to accomplish.

Banana_Joe
04-21-2016, 09:37
Dont find the AI that hard. They only aim slightly better after the update.
I think they did somrthing with how leaks are hqndled now. I get a lot more with much higher impact on the ship.

Nightmoss
04-21-2016, 14:58
Dont find the AI that hard. They only aim slightly better after the update.
I think they did somrthing with how leaks are hqndled now. I get a lot more with much higher impact on the ship.

Supposedly the latest hotfix addressed the crazy leaking issue, but complaints of AI that's way too accurate, fast to reload and impervious to damage is occurring within out group. Last I checked half of the active players have left the PVE server and gone to PVP servers. The assumption being they can fight players more easily then they can fight the AI?

I've just learned that the latest couple of patches are definitely addressing the AI difficulties for beginning players. It's no longer possible for a Pickle to sink a Trincomalee in under 3 minutes, or a 9 pounder gun acting more like a rail gun from posts on the Steam forums. I thought I should add this information to bring things up to date.

surfimp
05-03-2016, 12:51
So, I'm still playing a ton of Naval Action, have around 350hrs in game so far.

The land-in battles are awesome and I'm really pleased with how they have been implemented.

There are some complaints about how positional reinforcements are currently being handled, but in honesty, there are so few times I'm in a "gank" situation that it's just not an actual issue for me. I've had people try to exploit it, but because I sail Privateers and other fore-and-aft rigged ships, it just doesn't matter... I sail away from them on a beam or close reach and they really can't do much.

Have been enjoying doing a bit of trading... built production buildings to gain access to copper and coal so that I could keep myself in Exceptional Privateers, and have been selling off Low Grade Crafting Notes for a bit of extra cash.

Have been enjoying capturing Le Gros Ventre from the AI, it's a bit of a long slog when done with a Privateer or Basic Cutter but it can be done. So... much... grapeshot! :)

Anyways I still like the game, it's a good time.

Bligh
05-03-2016, 13:47
S

I've just learned that the latest couple of patches are definitely addressing the AI difficulties for beginning players. It's no longer possible for a Pickle to sink a Trincomalee in under 3 minutes, or a 9 pounder gun acting more like a rail gun from posts on the Steam forums. I thought I should add this information to bring things up to date.

Any more of your mates battles coming up for viewing yet Jim, or have they also lost interest?
I was really enjoying those.
Rob.

Nightmoss
05-04-2016, 09:16
Any more of your mates battles coming up for viewing yet Jim, or have they also lost interest?
I was really enjoying those.
Rob.

Rob, the recent patches really took the players by surprise and many have dropped out of the game completely or gone over to the PVP servers. While the follow up patches backed off the AI powers many have not come back after losing 'expensive' ships? Where we used to have a minimum of 8 ACN players online at any given time now we're lucky to see two or three?

I'm still on the PVE server, primarily crafting and trading. I'm slowly working my way up to crafting First Rates. I'll be building a Belle Poule later today. If I get some good photos I'll post them, but I don't know if or when we'll ever get a line battle like we did before?

Bligh
05-04-2016, 09:29
What a shame Jim.
Those battles really looked the real McCoy.
Why do these designers have to tinker with an on going game system, and not forewarn anybody. It takes a lot of time and effort to get anywhere, and then it can be gone in a flash. I would be really peeved myself if it happened to me.
Rob.

Banana_Joe
05-04-2016, 11:18
The whole game is still in development and many featutes arent implented yet.
I quite like the Ai changes. Better a bit harder then too easy.
Just lost my Cerberus against a Trincomalee....Bloody pirates.

A short record of my Mercury against a Frigate.

https://youtu.be/qDC93ZosNco

Nightmoss
05-05-2016, 09:33
What a shame Jim.
Those battles really looked the real McCoy.
Why do these designers have to tinker with an on going game system, and not forewarn anybody. It takes a lot of time and effort to get anywhere, and then it can be gone in a flash. I would be really peeved myself if it happened to me.
Rob.

As I've said to those who remain I don't mind a challenge, but suicide missions are not fun and it's certainly not how I'll spend my free time. Does it make sense that an AI Pickle can ram and sink a Trincomalee or Constitution? That's exactly what was happening before they backed off on the damage for the system. At least for our fleet/clan the damage is done and we're down to almost no one online.

I've been told they're losing 40% of the new players within the first day of play because the game lacks tutorials and has a very steep learning curve. Yes, the game is in development and clearly "Early Access" on Steam, but if you don't keep the players on day one you're not going to grow your game base?

surfimp
05-05-2016, 10:14
I'm a little worried about the playerbase, too. I've been watching the numbers decline on PVP1. A month ago it was 800+ when I'd join around 8-9pm PDT, now it's below 400. Server reset happens at midnight PDT so at best I have a window of maybe 2 hours to play. I am able to find stuff to do, but it's feeling very much like a PVE experience rather than a PVP experience.

I love the new Duel Room, where you can have a 1v1 PVP battle in matched ships (by Battle Rating) with no risk of loss. It's really fun, although I often have a bit of trouble finding opponents weeknights... weekends are usually better.

So yeah, I think the playerbase is suffering a bit, and there is rather incessant tinkering with mechanics instead of focusing on things like user interface, tutorials, or even a professional / official knowledgebase to help learn the game. The learning curve is very steep and very offputting, even for friends that are favorably disposed to naval combat games. They're looking for something more like Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, whereas Naval Action is currently more like Minecraft circa 2011... lots of as-yet unrealized potential.

Banana_Joe
05-06-2016, 04:02
I am pretty sure, the game will turn out fine.
I would have hoped for an age of sail Silent Hunter game, but I am happy with this. I think it needs more crew management and some kind of maintenance mechanism. So not everybody is sailing around in Victories. Until then I enjoy the game.
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii186/Omawari_San/20160504114600_1_zpso2vwxxge.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii186/Omawari_San/20160505225919_1_zpsiohjyqt8.jpg (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/Omawari_San/media/20160505225919_1_zpsiohjyqt8.jpg.html)
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii186/Omawari_San/20160423213952_1_zps0aaiyp18.jpg (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/Omawari_San/media/20160423213952_1_zps0aaiyp18.jpg.html)
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii186/Omawari_San/20160505232904_1_zpswjq31rmo.jpg (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/Omawari_San/media/20160505232904_1_zpswjq31rmo.jpg.html)

surfimp
05-10-2016, 17:16
Reposting something I typed up yesterday for the Naval Action forums, after a very fun evening on PVP1, where I sail for the Spanish crown as Sanson Carrasco:

--

I logged on last night thinking to play a couple hours before bed. I live on the West Coast of the US so normally the server populations are quite low, last night it was below 400 which was a bit depressing.

I figured I'd sail my Exceptional Lynx [Editor's note: the Lynx is the smallest, weakest warship in the game] - which I've been unable to sell for weeks now, even at bargain basement prices - from La Habana over to La Tortue and maybe setup a new outpost to seek PVP in that target rich environment. I didn't really care what happened to the Lynx but figured I probably wouldn't see many people anyways, given how quiet the server was.

And then suddenly, just before I reached Matanzas, Spanish national chat lit up with reports of yanqui (USA) raiders in Frigates harassing shipping along the coast between Baja and La Habana.

Figuring there wasn't much I was going to be able to do with my Lynx, but figuring I had to at least try to help, I wore ship and sailed back.

Thus ensued about two hours of some of the most fun I've had in recent memory in Naval Action. I spotted one of the Frigates off Mariel just as it jumped one of our player's Le Gros Ventres, and I jumped in to the instance to try to help. It took quite a while to chase them down (they were sailing on a broad reach) but eventually the LGV turned back towards me and I was able to catch up. A fierce battle ensued, with my compatriot's LGV taking heavy damage. However, I was able to dart in with my Lynx and begin stern raking the Frigate, eventually knocking his crew down to 150 and allowing the LGV to escape. I then set off close hauled and sailed away upwind. As soon as we dropped out of the battle instance, I was pleased to see many Spanish warships coming to help, and was able to tag the Frigate and pull him into another battle that saw him get absolutely wrecked in short order. So much fun!

Anyways, I know this all smacks of "cool story bro" but I want to reiterate that there is still quite a lot of fun to be had in Naval Action, even with the lower server population, and even in the "deadzone" time frames.

Nightmoss
05-11-2016, 11:23
I was just on the PVE server and there were only 92 players online. 92 for an entire server!?

One of the regulars said that today's brief patch was in preparation of merging all the servers. He could not say for certain that the devs will keep one PVE and one PVP server, but that it's not a matter of 'if' they'll merge servers, only of 'when' they'll do so.

Sounds like you had a great time Steve and will have more 'targets of opportunity coming up soon if the above information is accurate? If they do get rid of PVE I'll likely be out of the game. I'm only crafting at this point, but have finally made level 35 and 'built' my first Trincomalee.

surfimp
05-11-2016, 12:16
I'm positive the devs are going to keep a dedicated PVE server, if the merge happens it will be to bring the three PVP servers together.

92 on PVE isn't bad, PVP1 had something like 285 when I logged on last night... I sailed around south of Cuba and had an entirely PVE experience, which is not at all atypical and sort of the big joke that's always laid behind all the PVP vs PVE nonsense. If you stay mostly in national waters, you will have a 99% PVE experience, and if you stay pretty heads up, you will rarely if ever be ganked unless you're deliberately putting yourself in harm's way.

In any event... it's *still* fun for me. I've got my crafting leveled up to 16 or 17 now, have my production buildings churning out coal, copper, silver and compass wood (I know, I know) and have, for the first time, over $400k gold in my "bank account"... which to me feels like success!

That's because, prior to getting into the crafting & trading game (which I did only to ensure I had a ready supply of Privateers), I've always been perpetually broke due to my focus on capping trade ships... nothing like gaining 0 gold and 3 XP for your efforts, along with the grab bag of "who knows?" in the hold of that Trader's Lynx which you can sell to the AI for a whopping $1900~.

If that didn't make me quit Naval Action, I don't know what will. Now I want to craft Snows so I can craft Mercuries so I can get the Niagara blueprint, that ship is just so cool. I did have a fun duel with one sailed by a player last night outside of La Tortue. Beautiful little ship... and those 32lb carronades! Yeah baby! :)

Nightmoss
05-23-2016, 18:30
Two new ships have joined the Naval Action Fleet. Indiaman and Rattlesnake. I got the BP for the Indiaman and thought you might like to see the in game model. She's quite a ship. Sure would be nice if Ares released a comparable sculpt with similar statistics? Cheers!

surfimp
05-23-2016, 19:17
Congrats Jim!

I just got the Rattlesnake BP to drop yesterday - I'm tremendously excited, she looks to be the finest ship for privateering in the game so far. Had a very interesting 1v1 PVP duel with one yesterday in my Privateer schooner. After 1hr 10min we both retired, taking on water, limping home and declaring it a draw :)

I actually got very lucky and got the Navy Brig BP to drop at the same time:
http://i.imgur.com/C3VyZFK.png

Will post a pic of the Rattlesnake as soon as I have one built - should be later tonight :)

Nightmoss
05-23-2016, 19:38
Grats on you BP drops, Steve. The Indiaman was a real surprise for me as the drop rate is only 5% and I got it on the first build of an LGV. The ship is going to be hugely popular with the pirates! In fact that's who I sold my first one to. One of the few women playing the game. She used to be in ACN, but has moved on to piracy.

Some of the other updates I'm not too keen on and again I think many of the changes are being driven by pvp and those of us on pve are forced to accept it or just stop playing. Taking away teleporting with cargo is not setting well with our crafters. There are changes to combat models and the attributes of wood are also changing.

By the way that brings up something that was stated in chat today which I have no idea of its validity or not? Someone claimed the teak wood was not prevalent on combat ships because splinters from teak would cause blood poisoning and if you didn't remove all teak from flesh you would die from that poisoning? Have you ever heard of that?!

Have fun on pvp 1. :salute:

Bligh
05-24-2016, 00:52
That certainly looks the type of ship that we could do with for general use.
I'm glad to see also that things are progressing in your on line game.
I really did enjoy those battles.
Thanks again.
Rob.

surfimp
05-24-2016, 08:43
YAAASSSSSSssssssssssssssssss!!! :)

http://i.imgur.com/ucTPBlQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5mGAU67.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/izGX50g.png

http://i.imgur.com/ijsW6ER.png

I got extremely lucky to get a yellow Speed built-in upgrade when I crafted the ship, along with the maximum number of optional upgrade slots.

I built it with Fir wood and with Crew Space options as this will be my primary privateering ship, so I need speed and the ability to carry plenty of crew for boarding actions.

I'll plan to add Copper Plating and possibly Speed Trim, though it's so fast already I'm hesitant to make its turning performance suffer.

In terms of size, this is similar to the sloop-of-war from Sails of Glory, but it sails even closer to the wind... I was able to close reach at over 9kts, which, for a square rigger, is incredible. And its speed on beam and broad reach is nothing short of exhilarating!

The British, sworn enemy of the Spanish crown on PVP1, are going to hate this thing :D

Nightmoss
05-24-2016, 09:06
Grats on you build Steve. Getting 3/5 is awesome as is the speed bonus. I seem to only get stiffness these days. A little less RNG in game would be appreciated.

Bligh
05-24-2016, 09:24
Good to hear that you got what you needed to fulfill your objectives Steve.
You must let us know how you get on running amok amongst the British.
Rob.

surfimp
05-25-2016, 02:04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE7IfH9leu8

Getting to know the Rattlesnake by practicing "rageboarding" versus an AI trade ship. Rather gamey but quite effective :)

P.S. - this trader was a smuggler carrying contraband (seriously this is a thing in the game), hence the Spain-on-Spain aggression.

Bligh
05-25-2016, 06:40
Nice boarding action there Steve.
I do like the close ups of damage flying off.
Gives a bit of extra excitement.
Can you get close ups of the boarders, similar to the Total War games?
Rob.

surfimp
05-25-2016, 07:41
No, sadly there are no deck animations during boarding, currently. In fact the entire boarding minigame is said to be a placeholder while they work on other things, so it's possible this will change in the future. Right now it's sort of rock-paper-scissor amongst the different options, and having high quality Marines aboard, along with other boarding upgrades, is essential to success.

Nightmoss
06-05-2016, 08:56
The game is going to get a new patch next week, which should bring more 'realism' to the simulation and battles.

Crew management is being taken to the next level.

Crew will have to be hired for certain price for the sailor
Crew will be lost if you sink or blow up
Crew will become persistent between battles
Players will be provided with 40 free sailors at the start of the game which cannot be lost (to support new players), this number could go up with rank up to a certain limit
Crew will be available for hire in all ports that you can enter
Crew will have to be assigned to ships that you capture to be able to use them

Ships that you capture will have to have crew to be transported back to port
There will be only two options for the ship you capture:
Add to fleet (assigning crew)
Sink
Ships will have minimum possible crew - you won't be able to add a ship to fleet or transfer yourself to you if your crew is lower than that ship minimum for sailing

Examples of how the system works

1) If you captured a Trincomalee in a Constitution you will have to assign crew to Trincomalee and sail back under crewed in both ships. Once you arrive to port you will hire the crew again.
2) If your group lost a good amount of crew during heavy battle - you become more vulnerable for the next battle
3) You sail a cutter and your friend captures a Santisima for you. If you claim it you will not be able to sail a Santisima if its minimum crew is above 40. You will have to sink her.

This will certainly add some planning and complexity to the game. It also made me think of how the solo rules for SoG have been added to up the realism. Cheers!

Nightmoss
06-06-2016, 09:16
My latest ship build in Naval Action. Ingermanland is the smallest 3rd rate in the game at 62 guns. Information here if you're interested.

http://navalaction.wikia.com/wiki/Ingermanland

The ship I crafted on it's way to Charleston.

Bligh
06-06-2016, 09:48
Looks a right handy ship to have. It would do very well as an HEIC. in the Far East.
Rob.

TexaS
06-07-2016, 02:34
A little older than most ships I've seen in from the game so far. About a century older than Trincomalee.

Nice to see a little more of non-British, French, Spanish ship. I'm not playing but apart from USS Constitution is there any?

Nightmoss
06-07-2016, 09:19
A little older than most ships I've seen in from the game so far. About a century older than Trincomalee.

Nice to see a little more of non-British, French, Spanish ship. I'm not playing but apart from USS Constitution is there any?

There are several other nations outside of the big ones on the design table. If memory serves they just gave the go ahead on bringing a Danish ship into the game. Play balance and other design factors are the big obstacles to having more ships in game at the present time.

DeRuyter
06-07-2016, 13:48

Yes:

New ships in game as of May update:

Ingermanland (posted above by Jim) 66 gun Russian 4th rate circa 1715 (which is why you still have the sprit tops'l).
Rattlesnake. US 20 gun privateer (ship-sloop rig) circa AWI. A very fast and maneuverable ship also posted above - I have a yellow speed Snake two of us took out a Pirate LGV the other night (he was boarding modded and his fire suffered for it).
Indiaman - Generic HEIC company ship - modeled after the Falmouth -the large one 1300 tons with 26 18 lb guns (technically a British ship though).

Others:

Fair American - US brig model for generic brig and the navy brig version in game.
Mercury - Russian 20 gun brig of 1820
Frigate - small 18 lb 5th rate modeled after a Russian ship whose name slips my mind atm.
Lynx and Privateer - both modeled after the US privateer schooner Lynx
USS Essex
USS Niagara
St. Paval - Russian 80 gun 2nd rate SOL

Oh and the Yacht is Dutch.

Upcoming ships include a Danish ship, an Ocean class SOL, a Spanish frigate and I believe a Dutch ship.

Nightmoss
06-07-2016, 14:00
Yes:

New ships in game as of May update:

Ingermanland (posted above by Jim) 66 gun Russian 4th rate circa 1715 (which is why you still have the sprit tops'l).
Rattlesnake. US 20 gun privateer (ship-sloop rig) circa AWI. A very fast and maneuverable ship also posted above - I have a yellow speed Snake two of us took out a Pirate LGV the other night (he was boarding modded and his fire suffered for it).
Indiaman - Generic HEIC company ship - modeled after the Falmouth -the large one 1300 tons with 26 18 lb guns (technically a British ship though).

Others:

Fair American - US brig model for generic brig and the navy brig version in game.
Mercury - Russian 20 gun brig of 1820
Frigate - small 18 lb 5th rate modeled after a Russian ship whose name slips my mind atm.
Lynx and Privateer - both modeled after the US privateer schooner Lynx
USS Essex
USS Niagara
St. Paval - Russian 80 gun 2nd rate SOL

Oh and the Yacht is Dutch.

Upcoming ships include a Danish ship, an Ocean class SOL, a Spanish frigate and I believe a Dutch ship.

Eric, any idea when the Orient is going to hit the waves? I keep telling folks it was larger than the Santisima, but they don't believe me. I want to see how the devs model it and then compare it side by side with my Santi.

DeRuyter
06-08-2016, 08:17
Eric, any idea when the Orient is going to hit the waves? I keep telling folks it was larger than the Santisima, but they don't believe me. I want to see how the devs model it and then compare it side by side with my Santi.

Not sure. A little while ago one of the modelers was in our TeamSpeak channel and posted up some images of the Bucentuare model. I think we may see her before the Orient.

Nightmoss
01-02-2017, 09:59
While I haven't had much time to play Naval Action recently I did just see that the company that's working on its development has recently put up another Early Access simulation on Steam. It's a follow up to their Ultimate General: Gettysburg game, which has received many positive reviews.

This latest entry is called Ultimate General: Civil War. Currently on sale on Steam. No plans for any kind of naval action as far as I've looked so far?

http://www.ultimategeneral.com/ultimate-general-civil-war/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/502520/

Cheers.

DeRuyter
01-02-2017, 16:00
While I haven't had much time to play Naval Action recently I did just see that the company that's working on it's development has recently put up another Early Access simulation on Steam. It's a follow up to their Ultimate General: Gettysburg game, which has received many positive reviews.

This latest entry is called Ultimate General: Civil War. Currently on sale on Steam. No plans for any kind of naval action as far as I've looked so far?

http://www.ultimategeneral.com/ultimate-general-civil-war/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/502520/

Cheers.

I just bought the game and finished up my first battle a couple of hours ago! Lots of postivie reviews and some good you tube videos helped me decide to set away from Naval Action and start this one. Same developer who did the Gettysburg game - Nick Thomasidis (sp) who did Darthmod for the Total War series. The emphasis on this new title is the campaign mode, but there are also historical battles as well. The scale is brigade vs. regiment for UGG. The tactical level has been improved and the campaign element brings in logistics and strategy. The campaign is not just battles strung together but the player is managing his officer career and army as well. $25 on sale is a bargain and does not take up massive disc space either. On the whole it feels more like a finished game than an Early Access game. The big element missiing is multiplayer which in the earlier game was added at the very end of development.

Oh and Jim - Big new feature in NA - land in port battles to go with the new conquest system.

Bligh
01-03-2017, 03:28
Just had a look at this game Jim, and quite like the look of it.
I used to enjoy playing Gettysburg until my Computer was upgraded and it was no longer compatible.
For £29 it seems like it is worth taking a punt at it.
Thanks for the heads up.
Rob.

Nightmoss
01-03-2017, 10:05
I just bought the game and finished up my first battle a couple of hours ago! Lots of postivie reviews and some good you tube videos helped me decide to set away from Naval Action and start this one. Same developer who did the Gettysburg game - Nick Thomasidis (sp) who did Darthmod for the Total War series. The emphasis on this new title is the campaign mode, but there are also historical battles as well. The scale is brigade vs. regiment for UGG. The tactical level has been improved and the campaign element brings in logistics and strategy. The campaign is not just battles strung together but the player is managing his officer career and army as well. $25 on sale is a bargain and does not take up massive disc space either. On the whole it feels more like a finished game than an Early Access game. The big element missiing is multiplayer which in the earlier game was added at the very end of development.

Oh and Jim - Big new feature in NA - land in port battles to go with the new conquest system.

Just had a look at this game Jim, and quite like the look of it.
I used to enjoy playing Gettysburg until my Computer was upgraded and it was no longer compatible.
For £29 it seems like it is worth taking a punt at it.
Thanks for the heads up.
Rob.

I couldn't resist the sale price, or the subject matter. I've not started it yet, but reading more reviews on the discussion page makes it appear this was a sound purchase.

Eric, I've only poked my head in the door of Naval Action a couple of times in the last few months. With more than 700 hours into the game I'm not exactly thrilled about the impending wipe they've announced. While there are rumors of some compensation the time and effort I've put into crafting a number of First Rates that are just going to go "poof' does not make me happy at all.

Nightmoss
01-13-2017, 23:24
I recently checked back with the Naval Action PC game on Steam. The player population has declined drastically on both the pvp and pve servers, but the developers keep plugging new things (and ships) into the game. I managed to purchase a fairly rare ship l'Ocean last night. Photos below.

HMS Indefatigable and HMS Endymion are in game, as is the Bucentaure.

Bligh
01-14-2017, 01:36
The artwork and detail on those ships is magnificent Jim.
Are you going to be able to point us to any more of the narrated actions that you posted before, or are they all ceased now?
Rob.

Nightmoss
01-14-2017, 09:49
The artwork and detail on those ships is magnificent Jim.
Are you going to be able to point us to any more of the narrated actions that you posted before, or are they all ceased now?
Rob.

Rob, it would be great to have those large ship actions again, but I fear that at least on the pve server there just aren't going to be enough players online at the same time to facilitate that? I also read last night that there are rumors that the pve folks are going to be moved out of the Caribbean to the west coast of North and South America. That would entail us giving up almost all we worked for.

I did find a gentleman who regularly posts YouTube videos on large engagements on the PVP One server. You might want to check some of them out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_wD0yvv0sE

Bligh
01-14-2017, 13:52
That is a great shame Jim. You seemed to have such a well formed group there, and the presentation and commentary were superb.
I realize that it must be heart rending for yourself when you have committed so much time and effort into building up your ships etc. and hope that some way is found to resurrect the game.
At least I can say thank you for showing me what could be achieved on these games systems.
Thanks for advising me of this other source. I will give it a look over as soon as time permits.
Rob.

DeRuyter
10-11-2017, 13:39
Update on Naval Action. It has been awhile since anyone posted about this PC game so I thought I’d post an update. As can be gleaned from Jim’s last post in January the population of the game was declining. There were several reasons for this but ultimately the developers were trying to please too many different play styles at once. The game is definitely a time sink and even more so in 2017. The developers recognized a segment of the player based only wanted quick battles – like an arena game, think World of Tanks. So they started work on one – temporary title “Naval Action Legends” and it is in closed beta testing. (I am part of the test group). Here is a summary of what has occurred in 2017:

1. Major wipe and game reset in May 2017.

a. Players kept rank and xp earned and were given starter ships – HMS Indefatigable, HMS Pickle schooner, a Merchant brig and HMS Surprise.
b. The devs decided to test a hardcore MMO mode and changed the way one build up skill on ships and how the crafting and economy worked. A new combat/damage model was introduced. The game became less friendly for solo and casual players. It is now RvR or Nation vs. Nation focused.
c. Ships to 1 durability or life. Previous each ship was good for 5 sinkings before it and all the upgrades on it were gone. Now with changes to the way upgrades work ships that are sunk are sunk (or captured).

2. Servers were changed because of issues with port battles in different time zones.

a. PVP EU – A European based server with port battles cut off by 23:00 hrs GMT
b. PVP Global – A US based server with no time limits on port battles.
c. PVE server – No player v player battles

3. New Ships added.

a. Wasa – No not the Vasa but a Swedish 4th rate 60 gun SoL launched in 1778. She was originally armed with 24 pdr/18 pdr on the gun decks but the game allows 32 pdr/24 pdr that she was at one time armed with.
b. L’Herminone Just like the current replica!
c. Prince de Neufchatel Famous US privateer schooner – in game rigged as hermaphrodite brig.

4. End of August 2017 Major Patch with conquest changes and rollback of hardcore mode.

a. Improvements to crafting and economy – easier and cheaper to craft ships.
b. Each nation given
c. Safe zones brought back with overwhelming reinforcements for players in their national safe zone.
d. Clan control of conquest and port battles.

5. Naval Action Legends Arena Game.
a. Testing on arena version of game – basically like setting up a points based scenario in SoG with a 60 minute timer. Most battles which are 5v5 right now take 20 minutes. Early days yet and the server is only open on the weekends so playing is limited.
b. I am hoping this will allow for some realism that they sacrificed in the open world game, like shallows in battle (already in game).

That's my update - now back to painting miniatures! :minis:

BTW there is an upcoming game on ancient galley warfare "Mare Nostrum" which looks quite nice.

http://www.slitherine.com/products/product.asp?gid=650

Cheers!

Eric

Bligh
10-11-2017, 15:29
Thanks very much for taking the time to bring us this update Eric.
I am sure tat it will interest quite a few other shipmates.
Rob.

HMS Goliath
10-11-2017, 16:40
My son has the Total War game. He hasn't played it for a while. I'm not into video games anymore but I would sit behind him and watch.

Nightmoss
01-03-2018, 11:31
The developers of Naval Action have introduced a new style of game called Naval Action Legends. As described by others it's basically World of Warships in the Age of Sail. It's in Beta on Steam now. I don't know if there's a cost to those who don't already own the Early Access version of Naval Action? Here's a YouTube sampling for your pleasure. Skip to the five minute mark to avoid waiting for the longish matchmaking process to conclude. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vXPoAkaTDk

Bligh
01-03-2018, 14:08
A very enjoyable series of actions Jim.
Spent an hour watching that.
Thanks.
Rob.

TexaS
01-04-2018, 06:32
Watched those battles. I was frustrated a few times. That player had no respect for raking fire. He turned his stern regularly and seldom used his own chances for a good stern raking. He also had some extreme wish for collisions. I noted that they did no noticeable damage.

A little fun to see the ship flying Swedish colours though.

Nightmoss
01-04-2018, 08:20
A very enjoyable series of actions Jim.
Spent an hour watching that.
Thanks.
Rob.

Watched those battles. I was frustrated a few times. That player had no respect for raking fire. He turned his stern regularly and seldom used his own chances for a good stern raking. He also had some extreme wish for collisions. I noted that they did no noticeable damage.

A little fun to see the ship flying Swedish colours though.

If he's fighting AI rather than human opponents he might know of some reason for sailing differently. I know for a fact that the AI 'cheats' terribly because that's exactly how the developers have coded it. Just after I posted the above video I saw that there's been a new patch. The devs are adding even more realism with drifting, variable winds, etc. You'll note that the author is rather amazed that his rudder is destroyed 13 or 14 times. ;) See attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43NxhTj5Ks

HMS Goliath
01-04-2018, 09:54
Most impressive! I agree with the earlier comment of it being cool to see Swedish and Dutch ships.

Bligh
01-04-2018, 12:54
I must echo Jona's remark about the raking shots. He had several chances to get a full rake on enemy ships and fired too soon before the move was completed. Mind you it's easy for me to say from my armchair!
Rob.

TexaS
01-04-2018, 13:11
These are the ships I want to see for Sails of Glory. It's the Swedish Wasa-class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7iFlMz13X4

Bligh
01-05-2018, 03:33
Another enthralling battle Jonas.
Thanks.
Rob.

TexaS
01-05-2018, 10:36
That guy Tac were in more than a few enthralling battles!
Several against the odds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4imDSlK64sc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RwvkBnMUeI

I've put it on my wishlist. Perhaps might buy it later.

DeRuyter
01-05-2018, 11:27
I am a closed beta tester for the Legends version of Naval Action (NAL) for short. Jim hit the nail on the head - Age of sail World of Warships or World of Tanks if you will. Although battles take a bit longer for NAL - sometimes up to 40minutes.

Right now the beta is open to players who have purchased the Naval Action MMO game (which has been on sale several times btw). The devs plan is to have NAL be in the FTP model, again akin to WoWs, with premium accounts and content. One of the biggest gripes among testers now is the cannon grind, that is you start with 4lb guns on a cutter, but for each ship you need a certain amount of xp to unlock better guns. Ships up to 6th rate start with the 4 lb guns and the smallest frigate starts with 6 lb guns. Kind of a pain to have a 5th rate that is nominally a 12 pdr frigate start off with 6 lb guns!

So far none of the new sailing physics have made it into NAL from the open world game. Hopefully it will all make it in. I was sailing and fighting in the Agamemnon yesterday and she tacks like you would expect a 64 gun ship to tack - think using both sides of the red cards in SoG!

As for the videos there you may be seeing a new player or in particular in NAL you see people disregard a stern rake because taking out the side structure is more important to a quick kill. Now on the open world you will see a lot of stern raking to kill crew and take out guns. This is one of the aspects of the game that has been hard to balance - players end up doing what is called "stern tanking" that is showing their stern even to a possible rake to preserve their side structure.

TexaS
01-05-2018, 13:01
Thanks. That explains things.

Been watching even more. Two Wasas meet a Spanish fleet of five Wasas and an Agamemnon plus tree frigates. They sink the frigates and heavily damage the ships of the line so they flee and escape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RwvkBnMUeI

Nightmoss
01-06-2018, 09:27
I am a closed beta tester for the Legends version of Naval Action (NAL) for short. Jim hit the nail on the head - Age of sail World of Warships or World of Tanks if you will. Although battles take a bit longer for NAL - sometimes up to 40minutes.

Right now the beta is open to players who have purchased the Naval Action MMO game (which has been on sale several times btw). The devs plan is to have NAL be in the FTP model, again akin to WoWs, with premium accounts and content. One of the biggest gripes among testers now is the cannon grind, that is you start with 4lb guns on a cutter, but for each ship you need a certain amount of xp to unlock better guns. Ships up to 6th rate start with the 4 lb guns and the smallest frigate starts with 6 lb guns. Kind of a pain to have a 5th rate that is nominally a 12 pdr frigate start off with 6 lb guns!

So far none of the new sailing physics have made it into NAL from the open world game. Hopefully it will all make it in. I was sailing and fighting in the Agamemnon yesterday and she tacks like you would expect a 64 gun ship to tack - think using both sides of the red cards in SoG!

As for the videos there you may be seeing a new player or in particular in NAL you see people disregard a stern rake because taking out the side structure is more important to a quick kill. Now on the open world you will see a lot of stern raking to kill crew and take out guns. This is one of the aspects of the game that has been hard to balance - players end up doing what is called "stern tanking" that is showing their stern even to a possible rake to preserve their side structure.

Hey Eric. I gave NAL a try yesterday, which is a huge stretch because I normally avoid PVP like the plague. Starting out in a cutter was a pain when I'm used to the heavy hitters in the open world Naval Action. Better ships with better everything made quick history of me. I think the devs are going to have to do a much better job of matchmaking or you'll have massive quitters (no one is going to want to be pummeled time after time after time)? Wait times are also a bit on the long side?

As a first impression I thought the awards for participation were meager at best. I have over 1,150 hours invested in the MMO/Open World version so I cannot see spending a matching number of hours to 'level up' a character in this version.

Like Naval Action the game looks beautiful and I wish the developers all the best in this iteration.

Nightmoss
01-22-2019, 16:35
I thought some of you might enjoy this YouTube video? There are some new ships in Naval Action with the Christian VII being one of the latest. I'm back into the game for now, but unsure how long that will last. As they get closer to a 'final release' there will likely be a total wipe of player content. Having already put 1120 hours into the 'alpha' I'm not really looking into starting over. In any case enjoy the video (some music comes in later in the vid, about the 1:08 mark). Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=304&v=GVSEVeE4NEI

Bligh
01-23-2019, 05:36
A very interesting introduction to night sailing which I have not evidenced before Jim.
It looks very good as far as it goes.
I will follow your further evaluation with interest.
Rob.

DeRuyter
01-23-2019, 12:38
I thought some of you might enjoy this YouTube video? There are some new ships in Naval Action with the Christian VII being one of the latest. I'm back into the game for now, but unsure how long that will last. As they get closer to a 'final release' there will likely be a total wipe of player content. Having already put 1120 hours into the 'alpha' I'm not really looking into starting over. In any case enjoy the video (some music comes in later in the vid, about the 1:08 mark). Cheers!

Jim:

As for the wipe your rank/xp/crafting level are safe. The developers are considering allowing knowledge slots on ships to stay as well, so the wipe will be ships/money/buildings mostly. They have also promised a gift ship on release for alpha testers - the Pandora. Obviously any DLC you buy will remain as well.

If you play mostly on the PVE server then I think the next patch will be important - rework of trading with trade missions as well. The key for the PVE server is whether they will bring back some type of AI aggression and that is being discussed as well. Then you'll have a much better single player game experience. I have not been playing much lately because of the gear grind for the modules is not casual friendly.

Nightmoss
01-24-2019, 08:06
Jim:

As for the wipe your rank/xp/crafting level are safe. The developers are considering allowing knowledge slots on ships to stay as well, so the wipe will be ships/money/buildings mostly. They have also promised a gift ship on release for alpha testers - the Pandora. Obviously any DLC you buy will remain as well.

If you play mostly on the PVE server then I think the next patch will be important - rework of trading with trade missions as well. The key for the PVE server is whether they will bring back some type of AI aggression and that is being discussed as well. Then you'll have a much better single player game experience. I have not been playing much lately because of the gear grind for the modules is not casual friendly.

Hey Eric,
Thanks for the information. I've seen some of what you're saying on the Game Labs forums, but not that info on the Pandora. The AI for the PVE server is interesting. When I first started 'testing' the game years back I encountered that off the Cuban coast. It definitely raised my awareness level (and my blood pressure). I don't sense this is all that popular an idea on the PVE server and maybe the PVP server as well? In order for this to work they're going to have to significantly reduce the packs of roaming NPC ships. A fleet of 10 1st rates roaming at will off my outposts is not a pleasant thought. ;)

Any sense on when the game will 'launch' on Steam? Having returned recently I'm getting the strong impression that folks are not returning until the game is live; essentially they're not going to play until after a 'final wipe'.

DeRuyter
01-25-2019, 11:16
Hey Eric,
Thanks for the information. I've seen some of what you're saying on the Game Labs forums, but not that info on the Pandora. The AI for the PVE server is interesting. When I first started 'testing' the game years back I encountered that off the Cuban coast. It definitely raised my awareness level (and my blood pressure). I don't sense this is all that popular an idea on the PVE server and maybe the PVP server as well? In order for this to work they're going to have to significantly reduce the packs of roaming NPC ships. A fleet of 10 1st rates roaming at will off my outposts is not a pleasant thought. ;)

Any sense on when the game will 'launch' on Steam? Having returned recently I'm getting the strong impression that folks are not returning until the game is live; essentially they're not going to play until after a 'final wipe'.

Hard to say. I think they intend to release in 2019 the question is when. They are testing localization and new in battle UI right now on the test server. You can log on to test by creating a new chacacter with redeemables for xp, money and ships (Rattlesnake, Agamemnon, Trinc and Victory). If you get 25 AI kills plus win 5 boarding combats your main account will get a paint chest and a Santa Cecilia Link to instructions on how to get to test server through steam:

https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/28181-battle-ui-testbed-server-status-closed/

Note that the server is closed for the weekend for patching and maintenance.

Nightmoss
01-25-2019, 13:02
Hard to say. I think they intend to release in 2019 the question is when. They are testing localization and new in battle UI right now on the test server. You can log on to test by creating a new chacacter with redeemables for xp, money and ships (Rattlesnake, Agamemnon, Trinc and Victory). If you get 25 AI kills plus win 5 boarding combats your main account will get a paint chest and a Santa Cecilia Link to instructions on how to get to test server through steam:

https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/28181-battle-ui-testbed-server-status-closed/

Note that the server is closed for the weekend for patching and maintenance.

Thanks for that update and reply, Eric. Having played several days now by far the biggest complaint I'm seeing (practically non stop) is the total lack of NPC ships. Adding to that are the complaints concerning the few NPC ships you do see are almost always in huge fleets. I hope they adjust that issue, which certainly impacts small guilds or solo players?

DeRuyter
01-28-2019, 11:34
Thanks for that update and reply, Eric. Having played several days now by far the biggest complaint I'm seeing (practically non stop) is the total lack of NPC ships. Adding to that are the complaints concerning the few NPC ships you do see are almost always in huge fleets. I hope they adjust that issue, which certainly impacts small guilds or solo players?

I am not sure if the NPC distribution is different on the PVE server. On PVP they changed it so most enemy NPCs sail in their own waters, so forcing players to sail away from their home base to find a lot of ships. Riskier for PVP encounters of course. Lately I have been playing in the Haiti area near La Tortue and I have found some enemy traders and solo warships sailing along the coast even in the midst of Prussian ports (Yes Prussian but that's another story!). That area is also close to the Pirate islands so I also run across Pirate NPCs (and players).