PDA

View Full Version : Horatio Hornblower A&E Series DVD Question

Cool Breeze
01-24-2014, 14:03
Im pretty sure some of you here have the Collecters set of A&E's Horatio Hornblower series. Could you please tell me the aspect ratio of the show? The listing for the collectors set on Amazon shows 1.33/1 but the individual disks show 1.78/1.

I'm a videophile with a 60" HDTV who vastly prefers letterbox to pan & scan. I'm not sure I'd like it if it isn't letterbox.

DeRuyter
01-24-2014, 14:16
Im pretty sure some of you here have the Collecters set of A&E's Horatio Hornblower series. Could you please tell me the aspect ratio of the show? The listing for the collectors set on Amazon shows 1.33/1 but the individual disks show 1.78/1.

I'm a videophile with a 60" HDTV who vastly prefers letterbox to pan & scan. I'm not sure I'd like it if it isn't letterbox.

I can't help you here I taped it on a VCR :shock:

csadn
01-24-2014, 16:00
I can't help you here I taped it on a VCR :shock:

<- watches as DeRuyter is hauled away by the Waffen-FCC... :)

taipan
01-24-2014, 19:30
first question...vcr?
also the dvds i've gotten from netflix are pan and scan...normal not blueray

Cool Breeze
01-24-2014, 23:48
Yeah, got a chance to research it after work slowed down. It's Pan and Scan for Region 1 (USA & Canada). Probably still buy it though.

Diamondback
01-25-2014, 03:25
Curtis, I think it was originally shot in Pan & Scan, back when most TV's and computer monitors were still 4:3 rather than the 16:9 or 16:10 ratios most common today.

DeRuyter
01-25-2014, 08:55
first question...vcr?
also the dvds i've gotten from netflix are pan and scan...normal not blueray

LOL! Yes I know old tech, but if I recall correctly the series premiered in what 1999? I was sailing on the Kalmar Nyckel at the time and we were hired by A&E to do a promo "battle" with other tall ships in Baltimore's inner harbor. I just taped the series as it aired. I actually still have a combo DVD/VCR player so I can still watch it.

Cool Breeze
01-26-2014, 00:53
Curtis, I think it was originally shot in Pan & Scan, back when most TV's and computer monitors were still 4:3 rather than the 16:9 or 16:10 ratios most common today.

This was my thought originally as well, first one aired in 98 I believe. What's confusing is the last disk sells seperately at 1.78/1 Aspect, and I read somewhere that it's 1.33/1 for the set in Region 1 (claiming it is original aspect ratio as aired) but retains its widescreen format in Europe. It'd be cool if the original films were letterbox and A&E would realize bluray exists as a preferred format now, and make the digital HD transfer of the originals available.

Diamondback
01-26-2014, 01:35
Sadly, A&E now cares nothing about the "ARTS & Entertainment" of their origins and have rebranded pushing schlock like Storage Wars 24/7.

Coog
01-26-2014, 05:53
Sadly, A&E now cares nothing about the "ARTS & Entertainment" of their origins and have rebranded pushing schlock like Storage Wars 24/7.

At one time A&E, TLC (The Learning Channel), and The Discovery Channel had some really good shows. Even MTV back in those days was literally Music Television. Now its all "reality" TV.

DeRuyter
01-26-2014, 09:41

Just as The History Channel is now more about searching through junk in old barns, with the one bright spot being The Vikings series.

Cmmdre
01-26-2014, 10:02
Just as The History Channel is now more about searching through junk in old barns, with the one bright spot being The Vikings series.

I agree DB and Eric. I like Ragnar as well.

csadn
01-26-2014, 13:46
At one time A&E, TLC (The Learning Channel), and The Discovery Channel had some really good shows. Even MTV back in those days was literally Music Television. Now its all "reality" TV.

...and now I have this running through my head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfhCg2qPkXM .... :)

Diamondback
01-26-2014, 15:41
How The States Got Their Shapes is kinda cool, and Hatfields & McCoys wasn't too bad. Most of the stuff worth watching got moved to H2/History Int'l... and the ONLY things I ever watch Discovery for anymore is Shark Week and MythBusters. (Sons of Guns was OK before fame went to Will's head... he and I used to be boardmates on a gun forum. Don't wind me up about that BS'ing ripoff-artist Wyatt, either...)