PDA

View Full Version : Game Mat Size?

John Paul
01-24-2014, 01:01
After a few searches I haven't been able to find any other postings on this, and being a newbie as yet I figured I'd just ask. The scenarios in the rule book call for a gaming area 36" x 36" (one game mat), and then there are a couple of scenarios calling for two game mats with a playing area 48" x 36".

Now the SoG Game Mat I bought states on the box the mat size is 26" x 39". I haven't rolled it out yet to measure it just to be sure those measurements are correct though.

So my question is: Was there a reason the gaming mat was made a different size then the scenarios in the rule book actually call for? :question:

Not a big deal, as an old retired sailor I'm very much used to making due with the tools and equipment at hand even when the "Book" calls for something else!! :smack:

longagoigo
01-24-2014, 02:02
After a few searches I haven't been able to find any other postings on this, and being a newbie as yet I figured I'd just ask. The scenarios in the rule book call for a gaming area 36" x 36" (one game mat), and then there are a couple of scenarios calling for two game mats with a playing area 48" x 36".

Now the SoG Game Mat I bought states on the box the mat size is 26" x 39". I haven't rolled it out yet to measure it just to be sure those measurements are correct though.

So my question is: Was there a reason the gaming mat was made a different size then the scenarios in the rule book actually call for? :question:

Not a big deal, as an old retired sailor I'm very much used to making due with the tools and equipment at hand even when the "Book" calls for something else!! :smack:
My rulebook and the pdf rulebook both say, "To play Sails of Glory you need a flat surface at least 90 x 70 cm (≈36 in. x 26 in.) to play on. A table, carpet, or floor section will all work as long as the boundaries are well defined.". For the intro scenario, it says, "Length: 90 cm (≈36 in.), width: 90 cm. (≈36 in.) or one game mat.". I guess one game mat or bigger if you have it.

Berthier
01-24-2014, 02:21
I'd also noticed the inconsistency of map sizing to scenario description but the maps are, I believe, the same size as the WOG ones and that may be so they can be used together. Also there may be manufacturing issues with certain sizes?

Anyway, it is needlessly confusing to have the scenario give you a certain size that cannot be achieved by a single mat and say use the mat OR the recommended size on a table/floor etc. I think given the scale, the playing area is somewhat irrelevent providing the ships do not start too far apart. If they do, it will take too long to engage. If the surface is too big it will also not force players to stay in action (they could just keep running) and make exiting the playing surface for an effective "concession" of the game more difficult. Some of these matters may become relevant if you are playing a campaign game and want to be able to take your surviving ships from one encounter to the next, they will need to be able to flee an action they cant win in a reasonable time thus needing a board edge that is not too distant.

Пилот
01-24-2014, 06:27

Then two-mat scenario has 52" x 39" battlefield (and not 48 x 36)... That's 132cm x 99cm.

Scenarios should be adapted to mat sizes, then. Or one could draw outlines on mats.
Actualy, only change is that ships will have some more space (about 1 - 2 maneuvers at every direction) and leaving the field will be different. But that, also, could be rearranged with different setup then in Scenario.

So, Paul is quite right - no big deal :beer: !

John Paul
01-24-2014, 17:22
When I read through the rules and scenarios it naturally made sense to me that a naval game such as this should be played on a square playing area with the exception being when one has a lot of ships/terrain in the game. Then when I saw the actual size of the game mat the thought crossed my mind that there was a bit of a disconnect between the scenario designers, and the equipment designers!

It doesn't matter at all, and certainly doesn't detract from the game, or the enjoyment of play at all. On the plus side two mats placed long edge to long edge on my game table leaves a little "elbow" room without putting extra wear on the mats!! Which, as they say, is a good thing! :salute: