PDA

View Full Version : Starter sets

Gunner
01-22-2014, 17:44
I don't know if anyone noticed, but the big online game stores are already out or nearly out of their initial order of starter sets.

The Royal Hajj
01-23-2014, 09:07
Wonder if that was there KS products or retail orders. I know my FLGS did not order a lot of this game initially (or currently either).

Nightmoss
01-23-2014, 09:13
Wonder if that was there KS products or retail orders. I know my FLGS did not order a lot of this game initially (or currently either).

Speaking of retail stuff. Keith, have you started shipping out any of your retail orders yet? I know I 'pre-ordered' more mats and a starter set from you?

The Royal Hajj
01-23-2014, 09:48
Sort of, my initial order was short on mats, so some orders with those are on hold until they show up. I placed that order back at the end of Dec, so they should be here any day now... but I've been saying that for a week to my self. Ares is supposed to be looking into it for me, but I've not heard back yet.

Nightmoss
01-23-2014, 11:43
Sort of, my initial order was short on mats, so some orders with those are on hold until they show up. I placed that order back at the end of Dec, so they should be here any day now... but I've been saying that for a week to my self. Ares is supposed to be looking into it for me, but I've not heard back yet.

OK, thanks for that update.

Back to the topic and print runs of the starter set. Do you know if Ares has more sets currently in production in China or is this initial batch going to be it for awhile? Knowing how sales determine future production I could see where there might be a delay in getting a second run of the starter set back to the warehouse from overseas?

The Royal Hajj
01-23-2014, 11:53
The starter sets are not sold out at the warehouse level, so not need for a reprint yet. I did just get an email from Ares stating that my end of Dec order was "lost at the warehouse" and it will be shipped out in the next day or two. That puts it at my place around next Friday at the earliest :dazed: My order restocking my Wings product from that same time frame was "lost in shipment" and will have to be redone while they try and track it down :cry: This could very well mean I don't get any more MvR Dr.Is now :smack:

Nightmoss
01-23-2014, 12:24
The starter sets are not sold out at the warehouse level, so not need for a reprint yet. I did just get an email from Ares stating that my end of Dec order was "lost at the warehouse" and it will be shipped out in the next day or two. That puts it at my place around next Friday at the earliest :dazed: My order restocking my Wings product from that same time frame was "lost in shipment" and will have to be redone while they try and track it down :cry: This could very well mean I don't get any more MvR Dr.Is now :smack:

Knowing that retailers can restock from the warehouse is great news, especially as what Ed is reporting indicates good sales from the bigger ones. Not so good news concerning the warehouse; "lost at the warehouse" and "lost in shipment" are not exactly confidence building news blurbs?! Very unfortunate that you may not get anymore MvR Dr.Is too!

Berthier
01-23-2014, 13:35
Distribution still an ongoing issue then?

Пилот
01-23-2014, 17:07
I picked up my starter set in FLGS yesterday :beer:

The Royal Hajj
01-23-2014, 19:39
Distribution still an ongoing issue then?

I think the KS might have kicked their.... um, well you know. It's a family site an all. lol

dotichnus
02-02-2014, 13:59
Now sold out at the Ares warehouse: http://www.aresgames.eu/10999

Nightmoss
02-02-2014, 14:37

Hi Fen. I saw that also. Good news for the game, not so good for folks who haven't picked up the starter set yet.

Welcome to the Anchorage by the way. Stop by the 'welcome aboard' thread and say hello. :salute:

Naharaht
02-02-2014, 14:49
The Ares Facebook page said that the starter set will be reprinted because of the demand.

7eat51
02-02-2014, 15:29
More than the different waves of ships, the Starter Set should be made available for years to come. Subsequent ships can run out, but the Stater Set is fundamental, I think, to anyone entering the game.

Nightmoss
02-02-2014, 15:49
More than the different waves of ships, the Starter Set should be made available for years to come. Subsequent ships can run out, but the Stater Set is fundamental, I think, to anyone entering the game.

True enough, but I wonder if they'll be making any 'corrections' to the first print run of the set, or just reprinting? If it's anything like books, the first edition has uniqueness that is rarely topped by any subsequent edition/printing. Of course that only applies if you're 'collecting' versus playing?

Gunner
02-02-2014, 16:11
Hopefully, If any part of the rules need to be amended, corrected or changed, the next starter set will have the update.

Coog
02-02-2014, 16:20
Or perhaps a rules only set with extra ship mats, counters, and other extras like was done with WOG.

BRIAN DUNBAR
02-02-2014, 16:38
Agreed.... Most likely mats, counters, and rules like WOG once they get a year out. There'll be several waves of ships to choose from so you can get whatever country or class of ship you want to start with.

The Royal Hajj
02-03-2014, 06:47
I've got no insider info on this, but I would bet it is going to be a straight reprint. That's the fastest way to get them back out on the market... which is what they really need.

Gunner Godson
02-03-2014, 07:40
The store I work at still has a few starter boxes left, but I'm now selling two boxes at a time as you can instantly play with 8 ships at a saving to the customer... so we are likely to sell out fast, but I agree that the starter boxes must stay as a staple to the printing situation.

7eat51
02-03-2014, 07:47
I've got no insider info on this, but I would bet it is going to be a straight reprint. That's the fastest way to get them back out on the market... which is what they really need.

This would be wise - keep up the momentum. The RaW are not bad. The changes we would make can easily be done via house rules, or selective adoption of current rules. For now, Ares needs to keep the game in stock to grow the player base, to subsequent waves will have a smaller market to sell to. Personally, I have refrained from buying certain games due to the inability of purchasing out-of-print or perpetually out-of-stock items, items that were printed within the past couple of years. It makes me question producer support, at the least.

fredmiracle
02-03-2014, 08:55
it would definitely be too soon for me to envision a new revision of the rules, even bugfixes or very modest tweaks. They need to soak up the feedback and think about it for a while probably :)

Nightmoss
02-03-2014, 10:34
Most people are favoring a straight reprint (as do I), but if there were actual errors in printing or the data contained in the components wouldn't you expect some errata sheet to be included in the new box? (I cannot point to any glaring errors, but were there not some typos in ship card information?)

David Manley
02-03-2014, 11:13
From what I've heard they have no time to even think about considering any changes, let alone actioning any, so I'm 99% it is a straight reprint

Gunner
02-03-2014, 11:23
but were there not some typos in ship card information?)

Shhh. I'm using the Impetueux's 64 for my 66 gun Russian Slava Yekatherina (Catherine's Glory).

Nightmoss
02-03-2014, 12:07
Shhh. I'm using the Impetueux's 64 for my 66 gun Russian Slava Yekatherina (Catherine's Glory).

"Move along, these aren't the Impetueux's you're looking for!" ? lol.

David Manley
02-03-2014, 12:16
You don't need to see their broadside factors

You can go about your business

move along, move along

Пилот
02-03-2014, 12:29
Straight reprint is fine. But I hope ARES will release some different (not necessarily starter) sets of four, or even more, ships in the future.

Gunner
02-03-2014, 13:11
"Move along, these aren't the Impetueux's you're looking for!" ? lol.

You don't need to see their broadside factors

You can go about your business

move along, move along

Ha,ha. Thanks I needed that.:drinks:

DeRuyter
02-04-2014, 11:33

This doesn't bode well for the items missing from my KS box that arrived just yesterday. They state that certain other items are out or nearly out of stock, such as the terrain packs, and ship mats. :Arrrr:

Gunner
02-04-2014, 11:47
Yep, if it's not one thing it's another, and another, and _ _ _ _

The Royal Hajj
02-04-2014, 11:57
This doesn't bode well for the items missing from my KS box that arrived just yesterday. They state that certain other items are out or nearly out of stock, such as the terrain packs, and ship mats. :Arrrr:

They typically have "customer support" inventory on hand to deal with missing or damaged parts that are not part of the salable inventory. I don't know this to be fact for SGN, but they do it for their other games.

KeithS
02-04-2014, 12:00
It would be a bit remiss if they didn't hold back some stock for customer problems.

DeRuyter
02-04-2014, 13:01
They typically have "customer support" inventory on hand to deal with missing or damaged parts that are not part of the salable inventory. I don't know this to be fact for SGN, but they do it for their other games.

It would be a bit remiss if they didn't hold back some stock for customer problems.

I agree and I don't fault Ares. What leaves me a bit cold is that this is a symptom of the ongoing problems at the warehouse/distribution center. I just saw comments on KS that some peoples packages were held up by customs in the UK. The packages were supposed to have a customs invoice to avoid that problem, but they weren't shipped with them.

Fingers crossed that the rest comes in soon. :pray:

Berthier
02-04-2014, 16:56
I think they will have a long list of lessons learnt from the KS project, they may not be able to implement corrections in the short term but I would expect long term improvement will come.

Пилот
02-05-2014, 07:39
I hope next KS project will be better organized. People usually learn from own mistakes.

Gunner
02-05-2014, 22:03
It seems some retailers have starter sets in stock. I just seen 20 at http://12-7-games.com/catalog/sails-of-glory/starter-sets

longagoigo
02-06-2014, 02:13
It seems some retailers have starter sets in stock. I just seen 20 at http://12-7-games.com/catalog/sails-of-glory/starter-sets
Actually, I believe those are pre-orders for the reprint.

Gunner
02-06-2014, 02:39
Your are right. I should go back to school and learn how to read.:embarass:

Cpt Kangaroo
02-06-2014, 05:51
I just tuned in to this thread.

First, I am very happy at the results Ares is getting in the marketplace. Sold out means exceeding the initial estimates, which can only lead to momentum for more product.

I am very curious as to the first run number, so we have an idea of the fan base we are part of. Would it be somewhere in the 10k range?

Think about it, that would be 10,000 players worldwide involved in 'our' game. Awesome!

Just a thought on a starter set variation, a pirate theme or specific battle themed starter set would be great. Similar to the pairing of some releases with WoG. Too soon? Ok, I'll sit down now... :beer:

Gunner
02-06-2014, 09:40
Just a thought on a starter set variation, a pirate theme or specific battle themed starter set would be great. Similar to the pairing of some releases with WoG. Too soon? Ok, I'll sit down now... :beer:

Sounds like a great Idea Erin. It's never too soon to plan for the future. (though not too many people could afford the Trafalgar boxed set.) lol :beer: