PDA

View Full Version : Size of squares on playing mat?

KeithS
01-22-2014, 05:29
Please can someone tell me the size of the squares on the playing mat. I use a playing surface overlaid by a magnetic sheet, on this I use precut mdf tiles with a piece of steel paper on the bottom to provide a 3D gaming surface for some games (e.g. commands and Colors: Napoleonics). The tiles I use are hexagons however, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't order a set of square tiles, paint them, and use them as a surface for SoG. Possibly a bit more expensive than the playing mat but it gives me the possibility of building some modular 3D terrain as well.

The Royal Hajj
01-22-2014, 06:42
Hi Keith,

There are not squares on the playing mats. The lines that you see are simply grids to help players align the AI to the wind direction. So, whatever size tiles you want to use would work just fine. Now, how about some photos of your 3D table, it sounds interesting!

KeithS
01-22-2014, 10:43
Well I am still working on the project but here is a picture I took a little while ago, with a C&C:N board I made earlier. The other board is quite a bit bigger ~120*65 cm and I also have a non-magnetic board of about 150*90cm. I am currently working on making bridge and ford hexes, and have still to do towns and possibly beaches. For SoG I am thinking of buying 10*10 cm squares. I am keeping a blog of the construction of the board on BGG, although I am a little behind on updating it. http://boardgamegeek.com/blog/2892/building-a-hex-tile-board

The Royal Hajj
01-22-2014, 12:16
That is interesting. I have a box full of Geo-Hex in the basement from my wargaming years ago. This kind of reminds me of that.

KeithS
01-22-2014, 15:46
That is interesting. I have a box full of Geo-Hex in the basement from my wargaming years ago. This kind of reminds me of that.

I've had a few comments as to why I don't use Heroscape tiles and also there is a company called Kallistra here in the UK who do moulded hex tiles. In retrospect either would have been cheaper, the project started out as simply replacing C&C:N hill hexes and just grew and grew from there. TBH I have rather enjoyed making the terrain and solving the problems that have come up.

I will post again when/if I have created some tiles for SoG.

Coog
01-22-2014, 15:55
Looking forward to your posts. The results of your project looks very good in the photos you've posted.:thumbsup:

Пилот
01-23-2014, 17:14
KeithS,

interesting terrain!

But, I believe you wouldn't need anything similar for SoG - except maybe some coastal features, if you need different coastlines.

Diamondback
01-23-2014, 18:11
Actually, I've been toying with a few ideas for 3d underwater terrain... maybe creating some different-depth shoals that frigates can travel in but SOL's can't, and others that only Unrated ships can sail in, using different shades of blue with varying degrees of tan to represent different depths.

No prototypes yet, it's just in the idea stage ATM.

KeithS
01-24-2014, 02:53
Actually, I've been toying with a few ideas for 3d underwater terrain... maybe creating some different-depth shoals that frigates can travel in but SOL's can't, and others that only Unrated ships can sail in, using different shades of blue with varying degrees of tan to represent different depths.

No prototypes yet, it's just in the idea stage ATM.

Did a bit of a double take when I read 3d underwater terrain :shock: thinking that you meant literally 3D, until I saw that you would use colour to represent depth :wink:. That could work quite well using modular squares but might be more tricky if you want a more organic feel to the board (i.e. contoured depths). It sounds like an interesting idea though, please let me know what you come up with.

Пилот
01-24-2014, 06:10
Maybe something with transparent sheets/layers is worth of trying?

Diamondback
01-24-2014, 06:30
Actually, I am thinking physically 3d, but like flat sheets of balsa or thick card layered on top of each other. Doing 3d right would require a clear gaming table with a hollow underneath, kind of like some cases I've seen of having small model railroads built into coffee tables. :)

The problem is, I don't have Bruce's creativity and being a historical-reenactment sort, I'd want real depth-charts for the site of a real engagement, say Aboukir Bay, to work from. Coincidentally, I just found a source for some... Google the David Rumsey Map Collection. :)

KeithS
01-24-2014, 06:58
Actually, I am thinking physically 3d, but like flat sheets of balsa or thick card layered on top of each other. Doing 3d right would require a clear gaming table with a hollow underneath, kind of like some cases I've seen of having small model railroads built into coffee tables. :)

The problem is, I don't have Bruce's creativity and being a historical-reenactment sort, I'd want real depth-charts for the site of a real engagement, say Aboukir Bay, to work from. Coincidentally, I just found a source for some... Google the David Rumsey Map Collection. :)

Would that mean that you have to build specific individual boards for each scenario that you want to play? That might work well for a demonstration game but might be a touch expensive for everyday use, plus there would be a problem of scale, at 1/1000 you would require an enormous table to recreate a major historical engagement such as Aboukir Bay accurately.

Diamondback
01-24-2014, 07:20
Good point--I was thinking detailed historically-correct for close-inshore engagements like in rivers and Chesapeake Bay, then maybe a sectional version for "create your own" kind of like the official Terrain Packs.

Bigger engagements, I'm also thinking to abstract a little, change the "ground scale" and house rule that measurements are mainmast to mainmast for range. "Ship size exaggerated for visibility" kind of thing. Yes, I am one of those crazy buggers who wants to do Trafalgar all-up... you'll note I never claimed to be exactly "sane". LOL

KeithS
01-24-2014, 08:18
That makes sense, good luck with achieving that :salute:. It would also be nice to have landing party type scenarios as well but the scale is just too far out between individuals and the ships. Only way that I can think of is to maybe have one table with the SoG action and another table with miniatures being played simultaneously. Anyway I should probably learn to play walk SoG before I start running :wink:

KeithS
01-29-2014, 11:18
OK I've ordered 160 10*10cm MDF squares. I will probably paint them with standard interior house paint in 2-3 layers as suggested the video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVrKhu9_Wxo). However, I am looking for suggestions as to what to use as a top sealing layer, in the video he uses Glasscoat but that only seems to be available in Australia. Does anyone know of a suitable lacquer/sealant/varnish that is available in the UK, doesn't cost a fortune, and gives a fairly authentic seawater effect. I have to cover about 1.5sq metres so it has to go a fair way in terms of coverage per ml.

:thanks: