PDA

View Full Version : Updated Combat Ruler

The Royal Hajj
01-21-2014, 10:44
I wanted to show you guys the new Combat Rulers. These were made to replace the incorrect ones that were sent out via the KS and a few to those that order some directly from me.

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8466&d=1390325888

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8465&d=1390325888

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8463&d=1390325888

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8462&d=1390325888

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8464&d=1390325888

Ares is handling the replacement for the KS backers and will send out information on that process sometime in the future. In the mean time, I'll be engraving and cutting the ones they need to fill those KS orders. If you ordered one from me in the past, I'll be going through my orders and sending out replacements in the next week or so. I apologize again for the issue with the first rulers. Hopefully the added details on these new ones will help make up for some of that.

Coog
01-21-2014, 10:49
They look nice!:thumbsup:

GrouperKicker
01-21-2014, 11:16
The updated ruler looks great! (Mind you...so did the old ruler!)

Nightmoss
01-21-2014, 11:19
Very, very nice!! I ordered two from you, which I know you'll get to eventually. I do plan on keeping the old ones as backups because they're still nicely done as well. :happy:

The Royal Hajj
01-21-2014, 11:32
Glad you like them guys. When you compare the old ones to these new ones side by side, the old ones just look "unfinished".

Avi
01-21-2014, 12:40
I guess its the same wood?
Now I can train on the old ones with all the nice varnish ideas that where floating around...

The Royal Hajj
01-21-2014, 12:47
Yes, same type of wood.

csadn
01-21-2014, 14:33
So I can use the old one as a disciplinary tool now? >;)

Shoot@Me
01-21-2014, 15:14
The design looks great, Keith. Thanks for the extra effort!

Moideeb
01-21-2014, 15:15
The new rulers look great. I'm impressed this has been identified and they are replacing all the old rulers. I tried to ink in some of my rulers and stain them, buggering them up a little. I've got the hang of it now and will get some brand new ones to try on. :salute:

Jack Aubrey
01-21-2014, 15:28
Looks great. My one that I get with the KS-option is not very nice, and has different dimensions than the original one out from the box.

KeithS
01-21-2014, 15:57
I notice that these are listed as being out of stock on your site, will they eventually become available as a new purchase (i.e. for those who haven't pre-ordered)?

Andy Blozinski
01-21-2014, 17:50
I guess its the same wood?
Now I can train on the old ones with all the nice varnish ideas that where floating around...

That's a brilliant idea! I'm going to use stain and markers and stuff on mine too. Now I have some guinea pigs to play with.

Shoot@Me
01-21-2014, 18:09
I notice that these are listed as being out of stock on your site, will they eventually become available as a new purchase (i.e. for those who haven't pre-ordered)?

I suspect that Keith marked them "out of stock" to avoid selling from the batch that was incorrect and so he can catch up on replacing the ones that were sold. Once the KS and his other orders are filled, I am sure he'll have them for sale again.

tmon
01-21-2014, 18:15
I suspect that Keith marked them "out of stock" to avoid selling from the batch that was incorrect and so he can catch up on replacing the ones that were sold. Once the KS and his other orders are filled, I am sure he'll have them for sale again.
Undoubtedly you are correct. I do know he's making them since he had a couple when we played SOG Saturday before last. So it shouldn't be long.

The Royal Hajj
01-21-2014, 19:28

What Steven said....

Tommy Z
01-21-2014, 19:38
Looking Good, Keith! :thumbsup:

Berthier
01-21-2014, 20:36
Been playing around with one of the rulers to see if they would take colour. Well don't use a felt tip as the colour bleeds along the grain of the wood making it difficult to restrict it to the right sections. But you all probably knew that anyway but weren' t going to tell me:sad:

GreenLaborMike
01-21-2014, 21:09
They look great Keith! I liked the ones in my package, but these are definitely a step up.

Nightmoss
01-21-2014, 22:13
Been playing around with one of the rulers to see if they would take colour. Well don't use a felt tip as the colour bleeds along the grain of the wood making it difficult to restrict it to the right sections. But you all probably knew that anyway but weren' t going to tell me:sad:

I did mention it in the thread comments I made here. http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1623-Anchorage-Accessories-added-to-the-site That was quite a while back though?

Berthier
01-21-2014, 23:33
I wasn't really put out, just a heads up to others. And I had forgotten this thread from last year....too many threads not enough knots to keep it all together in my head.

Naharaht
01-23-2014, 19:59
I am glad that the incorrect ruler problem is being resolved with such an excellent looking product.

Cool Breeze
01-24-2014, 13:22
I am glad that the incorrect ruler problem is being resolved with such an excellent looking product.

Couldn't have said it better, so I'll just say...

QFT!

And Thank You Kieth!

The Royal Hajj
01-24-2014, 15:46
Thanks guys, just trying to make it right.

Andy Blozinski
01-24-2014, 17:41
I need to order both extra smoke markers as well as extra rulers. Since the rulers aren't out yet..uh what's their rough estimate on availability so I'll know when to order everything?

Andy Blozinski
02-11-2014, 19:42
What's the status on these?

The Royal Hajj
02-12-2014, 07:33
I should have some CR up for sale this coming week.

Diamondback
02-12-2014, 12:48
Anyone heard anything from Ares about KS replacements?

The Royal Hajj
02-12-2014, 13:14
Last I heard they were looking to send them out along with the "replacement" Wave 2 ships... or at least in that time frame. That was back before the delay though, so I'm not sure... other than they have not contacted me about changing the date they need them by.

Andy Blozinski
02-12-2014, 18:58
Last I heard they were looking to send them out along with the "replacement" Wave 2 ships... or at least in that time frame. That was back before the delay though, so I'm not sure... other than they have not contacted me about changing the date they need them by.

Sooo, like everything else on the kickstarter, I could have bought it retail and got it earlier.

The Royal Hajj
02-14-2014, 18:27
All orders placed directly with AA have had replacement Combat Rulers shipped out as of now. All CR ordered through 12-7 games have also had replacements shipped out. If you got your CR from any other store, Ares is handling those at a later date (I don't know when that will be).

Also, I've got a limited number of CR for sale up on the AA site if anyone is looking to pick some up.

AlyssaFaden
02-14-2014, 20:54
The KS ones were incorrect???

Coog
02-14-2014, 21:10
The KS ones were incorrect???

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1919-Wooden-Ruler-vs-Cardboard&highlight=rulers

AlyssaFaden
02-14-2014, 21:28
Coog, you got my back man tonight, thank you!

KeithS
02-15-2014, 12:09
I know it sounds a bit sacrilegious :shock: but I was thinking of buying a couple of these and cutting one between B and C/D to give a long, medium and short rulers, as I find the full length ruler a bit cumbersome when trying to measure between 2 ships close together. Has anyone done this and can anyone think of any downsides to doing so?

Cmmdre
02-15-2014, 12:14
I know it sounds a bit sacrilegious :shock: but I was thinking of buying a couple of these and cutting one between B and C/D to give a long, medium and short rulers, as I find the full length ruler a bit cumbersome when trying to measure between 2 ships close together. Has anyone done this and can anyone think of any downsides to doing so?

Sounds like a good idea to me. No bumbling between fleets knocking ships around. :help:

Gunner
02-15-2014, 13:52

I'm already using cut down wire shirt hangers for my combat ruler.

7eat51
02-15-2014, 15:37

It doesn't sound sacrilegious at all. If it aids your gameplay, go for it. I suggested this on another thread a day or two ago, and will do so with a couple of the card stock rulers that come with the Starter Sets and Extra Counters.

On the Aerodrome, one member uses what looks like a ruler split in half down the length, making an thinner ruler, and it works great. What he actually did was cut some length along the card stock frame that outlines the ruler, but has the markings of the regular ruler on it; it was an ingenious move.

KeithS
02-15-2014, 16:38
What he actually did was cut some length along the card stock frame that outlines the ruler, but has the markings of the regular ruler on it; it was an ingenious move.

Curses! I sent the card stock frame for recycling just a couple of days ago, otherwise I would have given it a try.

7eat51
02-15-2014, 16:44
Curses! I sent the card stock frame for recycling just a couple of days ago, otherwise I would have given it a try.

I did the same with WoG. When I saw him using them in an AAR, and he stated what they were, I gave myself a little kick. There might be someone in your area who has them.

Ed's idea is pretty good, too, given their thinness. With the size of my hands, any help with the rulers is appreciated.

Andy Blozinski
02-15-2014, 19:20
Chopsticks.

Gunner
02-15-2014, 19:39
Chopsticks.

Good idea but, my chopsticks only 8" long. (no wisecracks please)

Wartrain
02-16-2014, 00:25
I cut down some of the extra cardboard rulers and it works great

The Royal Hajj
02-16-2014, 05:46
Maybe I should offer some three part rulers. That way you guys could get nice edges with out any work. Thinner rulers messes up the musket range though right?

Diamondback
02-16-2014, 06:00
Not if you add a "Musket" range band inside the C/D range mark.

BTW, cutting off all the botches at C/D and selling them as a special "Close Quarters Battle Ruler" might help recover some of the costs...

Gunner
02-16-2014, 12:39
I was thinking about using a 1/8" wood dowel with different colors for the long, short, chain/double shot and musket ranges, though I'm not sure if they would warp in time.

KeithS
02-16-2014, 14:23
Maybe I should offer some three part rulers. That way you guys could get nice edges with out any work. Thinner rulers messes up the musket range though right?

Sounds like a good idea to me, you could sell them as a 3 pack.

The Royal Hajj
02-16-2014, 15:41
Not if you add a "Musket" range band inside the C/D range mark.

BTW, cutting off all the botches at C/D and selling them as a special "Close Quarters Battle Ruler" might help recover some of the costs...

All the old CR have been trashed... but the mistake was the range on the C/D, so that end would not have been useable anyway.