PDA

View Full Version : Will Kickstarter exclusives ever be generally available?

KeithS
01-20-2014, 06:27
Having missed the Kickstarter I was wondering if it was likely that, after a suitable period of time has elapsed, the KS exclusive models are likely to become more generally available. :question: I realise that there is not likely to be a definitive answer on this but if anyone has experience of other KS if this was likely to be the case, if not I guess that it is a question of keeping an eye on Ebay to see if any pop up on there. :minis:

longagoigo
01-20-2014, 06:44
Having missed the Kickstarter I was wondering if it was likely that, after a suitable period of time has elapsed, the KS exclusive models are likely to become more generally available. :question: I realise that there is not likely to be a definitive answer on this but if anyone has experience of other KS if this was likely to be the case, if not I guess that it is a question of keeping an eye on Ebay to see if any pop up on there. :minis:
I think the word exclusive would have some bearing on this. There are a lot more ships on the horizon.

Shoot@Me
01-20-2014, 07:23
Indeed, exclusive better truly mean exclusive... All I bought was a Marine pledge for the exclusive ships and some extras. The main set I bought from my friendly local game store. I know people would be frustrated if the Exclusives were not kept exclusive.

Coog
01-20-2014, 07:27

I doubt that the four ships, or I should say paint schemes, that are exclusive to the Kickstarter will be available other than on eBay and the like. However I don't see that as much of a loss since the models are the same as the ones available to the general public, just different names and paint jobs. Unless one is a collector who has to have at least one of everything, they shouldn't be missed much.

Pseudotheist
01-20-2014, 08:12
Their specific "exclusive" commitment is as follows:

Any ship which is listed as a Kickstarter Exclusive will not be reprinted with the same packaging and paint job. It is possible that future ship packs using the same model will use the same game stats, but the Kickstarter version will remain recognizable and unique in its combination of packaging, components and colors.
Given that wording, I expect we will eventually see these ships released to the general public, but probably not for a few years. I would be surprised if they weren't somehow included in the first "series 1" update. They could even just replace the curent starter set ships with the kickstarter exclusives and satisfy their commitment, but I do expect they will make some minor painting modification (maybe even just a different flag) to keep their kickstarter customers appeased.

But as I said, probably not for at least a few years. If you're a hopeless completionist, you may want to just be gouged for a set now...

The Royal Hajj
01-20-2014, 08:30
These ships, in these paint jobs with these stats will never be released to the public. When it comes time for them to reprint the Wave 1 ships, you will see these 4 ships replaced with different ships using the same mini (just like the other three out right now in Wave 1), but different paint, names and stats. It could be possible to see the same ship name, just at a different time in her career (and hence different stats and paint).

Unless one is a collector who has to have at least one of everything, they shouldn't be missed much.

Yeah, and that never happens to us with Ares' prepainted minis! :minis:

longagoigo
01-21-2014, 06:26
When it comes time for them to reprint the Wave 1 ships, you will see these 4 ships replaced with different ships using the same mini (just like the other three out right now in Wave 1), but different paint, names and stats. :
Disagree with the thinking that the number of ships in Wave 1 can be increased after the fact. IMHO, the ships in the Starter box will only be available in the Starter Box. The Wave 1 ships will only be the 8 ships in the present Wave 1. The Exclusives are off limits. However, eventually making variations of the Wave 1 ships in a new wave, sure.

The Royal Hajj
01-21-2014, 08:07
On the WGF side of the house, we have 12 unique minis in Series 1 with an additional 4 slotted to the Duel Packs (former Deluxe/Starter Set). That gives the Series 1 sculpts 16 different paint jobs before adding reprint changes.

For SGN, We have currently have 12 unique ships in Wave 1 with an additional 4 slotted to the KS ships. That give the Wave 1 sculpts 16 different paint jobs before adding reprint changes. Same as WGF. When they have to reprint Wave 1 in a couple of years, the Starter ships will stay in the starter box, they will keep the best selling 4 from the ship packs and replace the remaining 8 (including the 4 KS ships) with new ships/paints. The way the did the product codes even allows for them to fill the empty slots created by the KS ships down the road.

Nightmoss
01-21-2014, 08:41
These ships, in these paint jobs with these stats will never be released to the public. When it comes time for them to reprint the Wave 1 ships, you will see these 4 ships replaced with different ships using the same mini (just like the other three out right now in Wave 1), but different paint, names and stats. It could be possible to see the same ship name, just at a different time in her career (and hence different stats and paint).

Yeah, and that never happens to us with Ares' prepainted minis! :minis:

Interestingly enough, the KS Exclusives are going for about $40.00 per ship on Ebay right now. Some variations on prices, but $40.00 seems to be the average cut off for bidders.

David Manley
01-21-2014, 08:50
Just looking and seen three starting at about 30. and free shipping in the US :)

KeithS
01-21-2014, 09:39
Yes, I have, perhaps foolishly, bought a set of 4 off eBay. The $40 seemed fairly reasonable given the probable rarity of these ships and the £ to $ exchange rate isn't too bad ATM. However, the killer is the shipping and import costs, particularly as eBay now have their own shipping system, which forces you to pay tax and import handling fees up front on each individual item, so you can't even save on handling fees by packaging several items together.

David Manley
01-21-2014, 09:48
as eBay now have their own shipping system, which forces you to pay tax and import handling fees up front on each individual item

Really/ Wow, its been some time since I've bought anything from overseas via ebay. Looks like I won't in the near future either

Nightmoss
01-21-2014, 11:27
as eBay now have their own shipping system, which forces you to pay tax and import handling fees up front on each individual item, so you can't even save on handling fees by packaging several items together.

Is that fairly new policy for Ebay? I'd "Ordered/BuyItNow" a number of items last year from the UK and the sellers did regularly take advantage of packing to save on all fees. That will definitely discourage any future Ebay purchases of overseas items. Bummer.

csadn
01-21-2014, 14:36
Yes, I have, perhaps foolishly, bought a set of 4 off eBay. The $40 seemed fairly reasonable given the probable rarity of these ships and the £ to $ exchange rate isn't too bad ATM. However, the killer is the shipping and import costs, particularly as eBay now have their own shipping system, which forces you to pay tax and import handling fees up front on each individual item, so you can't even save on handling fees by packaging several items together.

Given how folks were gaming the shipping-and-handling rules, this surprises me not at all.

KeithS
01-21-2014, 15:31
I think that it is something that sellers sign up for and mine obviously did although from what I can gather he did not realise it was compulsory as he tried to give me a slightly lower rate but the system wouldn't let him. TBH it is probably swings and roundabouts, the shipping costs themselves aren't too bad ~$10 but the major costs come on the customs tax. UK customs as well as 20% import duty charge a flat rate £8 (about $12) handling fee per package so if you have several items you can save quite a bit of money by sending them together in one parcel. The new (eBay) system charges an inclusive up-front fee covering both handling and duties (in my case about $15) chargeable on each item when you pay eBay, so no savings on handling fees now :sad:. Additionally I have had items where customs haven't charged duty on the package, always a bonus :thumbsup:. So in summary if I get hit for all charges it is probably the same under either system, but now I don't get any possible savings and those are presumably pocketed by eBay or their shipping partners.:sad::hmmm:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

Jack Aubrey
01-21-2014, 15:37
I think the word exclusive would have some bearing on this. There are a lot more ships on the horizon.

Yes, agree :thumbsup:

KeithS
01-21-2014, 15:54

I realise that exclusive very likely to mean just that but I wondered how elastic that definition could be particularly after the KS was a distant memory. I have been caught out before after having scoured the internet and paying a fair bit over the odds for a 'limited edition, one-off' expansion to a game I was interested in, only to find 6 months after I bought it that it was going to be re-printed.

KeithS
01-31-2014, 10:34
Huzzah :hatsoff: The KS exclusives I bought off the internet arrived today, having safely negotiated the trip from the USA to the UK. I must say that the ebay shipping despite being quite expensive (although a lot of that was pre-paid customs fees) proved to be something of a boon in that it allowed me to track them through each stage of the journey and eliminated any customs delays. Now to see if I dare expose them to combat considering what I paid for them :erk:

Пилот
02-04-2014, 04:39
My experience with ebay shipments is quite well (although I have not to many buys, about 30 or so), specialy with shippings from UK, USA, Croatia and China. But I had multiple problems with France.