PDA

View Full Version : Base issues

mleaman
01-19-2014, 07:57
My only dissatisfaction with SoG is with the bases. I find the bases difficult to grasp, being too smooth for fingertips dried out by the New England winter. I also dislike how easily the ships turn or fall out of the peg hole in the base. (Mostly as a result of the ship slipping from grasp when picking it up by the base.) Does anyone have a tip on securing the ship to the base? I thought about using rare earth hobby magnets and I wondered if anyone else has explored this idea.

GrouperKicker
01-19-2014, 09:04
I've got some rare earth magnets that I plan on using to try to steady the ship on the base. I'll post an update/picture once I have some results.

Nightmoss
01-19-2014, 10:10
My only dissatisfaction with SoG are with the bases. I find the bases difficult to grasp, being too smooth for fingertips dried out by the New England winter. I also dislike how easily the ships turn or fall out of the peg hole in the base. (Mostly as a result of the ship slipping from grasp when picking it up by the base.) Does anyone have a tip on securing the ship to the base? I thought about using rare earth hobby magnets and I wondered if anyone else has explored this idea.

Keith has suggested using artists 'tack it' to hold the ship more firmly in the base. Perhaps some kind of tape applied to the two long sides of the base might allow for easier pick up? If it's colored it would also distinguish various sides in a battle?

http://www.dickblick.com/products/elmers-tack-putty/

mleaman
01-19-2014, 21:04
On a whim I placed a dot of Elmer's rubber cement on the peg of one of the ships and let it dry (so the solvent wouldn't fog the clear plastic plate when placing it on the base). Now the ship fits into the base snug as a bug in a rug.

fredmiracle
01-20-2014, 01:23
On a whim I placed a dot of Elmer rubber cement on the peg of one of the ships and let it dry (so the solvent wouldn't fog the clear plastic plate when placing it on the base). Now the ship fits into the base snug as a bug in a rug.

I love it! KISS wins again!

GrouperKicker
01-20-2014, 08:02
Aw Man! You had to go and make life easier for us! I was already creating a sheet styrene jig so I could drill the magnet holes in the same location on all bases/ships. I may still give it a shot and report out just for fun.

The Royal Hajj
01-20-2014, 08:47
And for you Wings players, my Altitude glue (http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/game-aides/wings-of-glory/altitude-glue.html) works wonders on these ship pegs as well. Dries clear, will not fog the clear cover sheet, stays tacky for years (your not actually gluing anything together) and you can remove the ship and flip it's card anytime you want to with out effecting it. Oh, and a single bottle will last you until the modern navies start using SoLs again :happy:

GrouperKicker
01-20-2014, 12:24
Ok... I've gotten the rare earth magnets working on one of my frigates, but... too much work when I could just use rubber cement/attitude glue. The magnets work, but there is just too much opportunity to scratch/mess up the clear plastic covers. Consider me 'one and done'!

Capn Duff
01-20-2014, 13:21
And for you Wings players, my Altitude glue (http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/game-aides/wings-of-glory/altitude-glue.html) works wonders on these ship pegs as well. Dries clear, will not fog the clear cover sheet, stays tacky for years (your not actually gluing anything together) and you can remove the ship and flip it's card anytime you want to with out effecting it. Oh, and a single bottle will last you until the modern navies start using SoLs again :happy:

Yup
I can testify to this I used the AA glue on my KS french SOL, now fits ok

mleaman
01-24-2014, 07:02
I used a very small dot of rubber cement near the bottom of the peg. I let it dry for a minute before inserting it in the base. It provides a tight fit but you can remove it afterwards, if you need, once it has dried. You can also remove and re-apply down the road.

Nightmoss
01-24-2014, 14:01
Mark, thanks for the tip and the photos to illustrate illustrate what you did. I remember as kids what else we used to use rubber cement for. lol.

KeithS
01-30-2014, 05:15
Does anyone know if the Elmer's glue can be used to attach the ship to the base for an even more secure attachment without damaging the ship or the base? I haven't used it before but I imagine that it is like (for example) the clear sticky goo that they use to attach CD disks to the glossy covers of PC magazines, is that the case? If not does anyone know what they use as that might be ideal for the purpose?

The Royal Hajj
01-30-2014, 07:07
Good old Elmer's white glue is safe to use on the ships and bases. I had to use some on the pre-production stuff to get them to stay.