PDA

View Full Version : News Flash! Columbus Was Clueless!

Cool Breeze
01-16-2014, 11:58
Apparently, the world is indeed flat! I know this, because in my first real (non-demo) game, after blasting my opponent's SoL to one crew and one hull box left, I misjudged the wind and sailed one corner of my base 1mm off the mat and fell off the edge of the world, losing horribly!

Very fun though, and my opponent went away very happy with a very favorable impression of his first game, in spite of being ROFL-Stomped up until that point.

So in the long run, my loss was a win. Another potential sailor has been, "Pressed" into service!:thumbsup:

Nightmoss
01-16-2014, 12:24
That must have been very amusing for your opponent (and very clever of you to let him win?)! Thanks for the nice quick report.

7eat51
01-16-2014, 12:29
Keith made a great point at Origins last year that has stuck with me. When running games with true newbies, make sure they have fun, even if it requires we pull back a little. There is only one shot at making a first impression, and if they enjoy themselves, there will be plenty of time for more rigorously played games later. The goal is to let them have fun, not to beat them.

Nightmoss
01-16-2014, 12:33
Keith made a great point at Origins last year that has stuck with me. When running games with true newbies, make sure they have fun, even if it requires we pull back a little. There is only one shot at making a first impression, and if they enjoy themselves, there will be plenty of time for more rigorously played games later. The goal is to let them have fun, not to beat them.

So, what you're saying is "Let the Wookie win?". LOL.

The Royal Hajj
01-16-2014, 12:54
So, what you're saying is "Let the Wookie win?". LOL.

YES! Now you guys know why I get shot down so much in Wings... I almost exclusively play with Wookies.

Seriously though, the object is not to loss the game, but not to win it either. The more fun someone has playing a game for the first time, the more likely they will be to continue playing the game. So give them every chance to win (but don't make it obvious). If it is a player that you will play many time over in the future, let them when the first two games. On the third game, totally trounce them as pay back for all the "I just started playing and I beat you twice!" comments you will get. It's priceless! :Arrrr:

Nightmoss
01-16-2014, 13:03
YES! Now you guys know why I get shot down so much in Wings... I almost exclusively play with Wookies.

Seriously though, the object is not to loss the game, but not to win it either. The more fun someone has playing a game for the first time, the more likely they will be to continue playing the game. So give them every chance to win (but don't make it obvious). If it is a player that you will play many time over in the future, let them when the first two games. On the third game, totally trounce them as pay back for all the "I just started playing and I beat you twice!" comments you will get. It's priceless! :angry:

You know a lot of Wookies do you? :wink:

Seriously, I know what you're saying and it's usually how I play games in general. I focus on the fun, not the win or lose. Of course I'm probably rationalizing the fact that I'd lose that 3rd game too!! :dazed:

Cool Breeze
01-16-2014, 13:32
Whoa, Don't rush to judgement fellas. No need to extend the plank. I've been demoing wargames since before several on this site were born. I tailor all my demos to my players needs and desires, and all things being equal, I'm normally a paragon of setting my new players up with opportunities to win without giving it to them.

My opponent for this game is a different breed of gamer. He gets very upset if anyone holds back. In WM/Hordes (his normal game of choice) he usually wins about 30-45% of his games with average players. When he does, he's the most satisfied guy you've ever met, but not a jerk about it. He is very gracious in defeat and very polite in victory. Really cool gamer. Not an ounce of quit in him. Pretty sure John Paul Jones' blood flows in his veins.

An example from his game of choice: My oldest daughter plays his same faction, Khador, and he has yet to beat her in a game (she is a very gifted player who can calculate distances with uncanny accuracy and has won several tournaments - and we play in the home store of the Chain Attack podcast guys). However, every time he plays her (or anyone else for that matter), he learns and applies the lessons from his loss and gets better.

Also, he did draw first blood with a surprise hard turn on first move to rake my bow. Which lead me to believe I was in for a real tough fight for about 3 turns, lol. I did start to ease up once I realized it was a lucky guess on his part. :bleh:

7eat51
01-16-2014, 13:53
No plank extended or judgment cast, Curtis. Just building off the conversation, and for me, staying on topic, which itself is a small victory.

Cool Breeze
01-16-2014, 14:24
No plank extended or judgment cast, Curtis. Just building off the conversation, and for me, staying on topic, which itself is a small victory.

You mean I have to give up my, "Thread Pirate Roberts" hat? Nope, not going to do it!

Also, I didn't take it personal, it was just my long way of saying I agree with you gents. Never use big words when diminuitive ones will suffice, etc. :wink:

csadn
01-16-2014, 16:57
"Or so it would have been, if certain modern theories concerning the shape of the world had not proved to be disastrously wrong."

>;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZeOUI2zEbo