PDA

View Full Version : There Be Pirates Here-Black Pearl-Just for Fun Repaint

Nightmoss
01-14-2014, 20:59
What can I say. With all the various threads talking about Privateers and Pirates I felt compelled to do a pirate repaint. Perhaps a bit too Disneyfied for some, but I like Captain Jack Sparrow and his flag (which I understand is based on Henry Every's) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Every

Enjoy! :rum: :rum: :rum:

Gunner
01-14-2014, 21:15
Looks good. Cut some holes in the sails and you have a winner.

Naharaht
01-14-2014, 21:33
Nice paint job.

Old Ironsides
01-14-2014, 21:40
Well done!

Fremantle
01-14-2014, 21:43
Very cool indeed!

Cmmdre
01-14-2014, 21:51
ARGGG!!!

Berthier
01-14-2014, 21:56
Very atmospheric paint job and nice lighting for the photos Jim. She looks quite evil!

7eat51
01-15-2014, 00:51
Jim, that is awesome. As Daniel said, very atmospheric. No question what she is.

Moideeb
01-15-2014, 01:56
Wow, that looks really great! Now I wish I had more than one of each ship, so I could make a pirate fleet as well.

Andy Blozinski
01-15-2014, 05:50
Holy crap, that's amazing! I would buy that. One interesting subtlety I noticed was that the lack of a bright card underneath added to the dark visual mood. You should make up a custom card and print it out.

mt1ss bob
01-15-2014, 06:28
that is awesome!!!!

The Royal Hajj
01-15-2014, 06:57
Oh yes, that looks really good!

GrouperKicker
01-15-2014, 07:13
Very nice indeed!!! I like the heavily washed sails.

Nightmoss
01-15-2014, 09:23
Thanks all for the compliments. It was definitely fun to do and I do like Andy's idea of a custom card, which would certainly add to the effect. Thanks again!

DeRuyter
01-15-2014, 11:18
Nice job. Looks good now where's the Kiera Knightley figure to go on the quarterdeck! :cheezy:

Gaz67
01-15-2014, 11:34
Nice work, fancy making a slightly bigger one??

http://www.hachettepartworks.com/our-titles/black-pearl

Nightmoss
01-15-2014, 11:51
Nice job. Looks good now where's the Kiera Knightley figure to go on the quarterdeck! :cheezy:

I think she's already jumped over to the Flying Dutchman, following Orlando, you know? :)

Nice work, fancy making a slightly bigger one??

http://www.hachettepartworks.com/our-titles/black-pearl

Looks cool. I've always been intrigued by those 'magazine' builds, but I've never followed up on one?

Gaz67
01-15-2014, 12:41
They tend to be expensive when you add it all up, but on the other hand you only pay it monthly...

Beowulf03809
01-16-2014, 09:33
Looking cool!

:rum:

Nightmoss
01-16-2014, 19:06
While I'm not "on" Facebook the folks at Ares have graciously put me up on the SoG FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/SailsOfGlory

But the really important news here is what they said a few hours ago:

We are definitely looking at historical pirate ships for future releases.

Who knows when that might be, but it's nice to see they're thinking pirates and privateers somewhere down the line. :swordleft: :minis:

Berthier
01-16-2014, 19:08
You're famous Jim! You've become the face of "piratehood" for SOG :thumbsup:

Nightmoss
01-16-2014, 19:20

LOL. I'll do the repaints, but I'll leave the statistical, nitty-gritty stuff to the gamer Brainiacs here abouts. That stuff is way beyond my ken.

Gunner
01-16-2014, 19:25
Nice going Jim. Your pic should recruit some privateers to this site.

Holofernes
01-16-2014, 21:08
Awesome job! I can't wait for some (historical) pirates and merchants. Great scenario potential.

Hap Hapablap
01-16-2014, 21:36
Very well done!

Gunner
01-16-2014, 21:58
Welcome to the Anchorage Keith:beer:. Why don't you check in at http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay.php?5-Welcome-Aboard

Nightmoss
01-16-2014, 23:00
Nice going Jim. Your pic should recruit some privateers to this site.

That would be very cool! Thank you also. :happy:

The Royal Hajj
01-17-2014, 06:42
Actually, there was a decent up tick in new members yesterday... wonder if they can be correlated?

csadn
01-17-2014, 15:54

Oh, good -- a complete innocent for the authorities to hunt mercilessly.... >;)

Nightmoss
01-17-2014, 18:24
Oh, good -- a complete innocent for the authorities to hunt mercilessly.... >;)

Leaving the 'real' pirates to wreck havoc in the background? :wink:

csadn
01-18-2014, 18:25
Leaving the 'real' pirates to wreck havoc in the background? :wink:

Of course -- it's one thing to Wreak Havoc; it's quite another when the authorities come to have one's Havoc Wrought. But if the Authorities are Wreaking the Havoc of someone else entirely.... >:)

Nightmoss
01-18-2014, 22:22
Of course -- it's one thing to Wreak Havoc; it's quite another when the authorities come to have one's Havoc Wrought. But if the Authorities are Wreaking the Havoc of someone else entirely.... >:)

Then it's smooth sailing, of course!

7eat51
01-18-2014, 22:50
Actually, there was a decent up tick in new members yesterday... wonder if they can be correlated?

What does it say if regular military vessels don't recruit members to the degree that a pirate ship does? Hmmm. Maybe, we're a motley crew after all.

Tommy Z
01-18-2014, 23:17
Very Nice, Jim! :thumbsup:

Nightmoss
01-19-2014, 10:13

I think it's probably a combination of the KS ships finally arriving at their destinations, the retail release to the general public and some activity on Facebook too?

csadn
01-19-2014, 13:56
What does it say if regular military vessels don't recruit members to the degree that a pirate ship does? Hmmm. Maybe, we're a motley crew after all.

"There must be something we can do in time of war to make our men fly *to* the colours rather than *from* them." [Horatio Nelson, on impressment]

Mr Roberts
01-20-2014, 21:53
Very nicely done. I notice that you do not have a base card for it - I would be happy to make you one if you give me the specifics.

Mr. Roberts

Nightmoss
01-20-2014, 22:09
Very nicely done. I notice that you do not have a base card for it - I would be happy to make you one if you give me the specifics.

Mr. Roberts

Hi Andy. Welcome to the Anchorage and thank you kindly for the compliment. I've not established any stats for this particular pirate repaint and I wouldn't know where to start on specifics. Others here can probably do that beyond the fact that she's really the HMS Terpsichore under all that dark paint. :happy:

Custom cards and specs are in the work in the files section too. I do know that.

Gunner
01-20-2014, 22:46
Howdy, oops, meant to say, Ahoy, and welcome :beer: from Arizona, Andy.

7eat51
01-20-2014, 22:50
Hey Andy, stop by the Welcome Aboard forum and introduce yourself. Folks will be glad to meet you.

Gunner
01-20-2014, 22:53
Well Jim, who will be the first with the Good Ship Lollypop? That sight should put fear in the heart of any seafarer.

Nightmoss
01-20-2014, 23:01
Well Jim, who will be the first with the Good Ship Lollypop? That sight should put fear in the heart of any seafarer.

Yup, this is pretty scary.

Gunner
01-21-2014, 00:10
Yes, that would be quite a conversion.
When those gun ports open, and they run out the licorice sticks while she sing yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me, that should clear the seven seas.

csadn
01-21-2014, 14:28

Better _Lollipop_ than _Venus_.... >;)

Mr Roberts
01-23-2014, 18:27
Here is a start for the ship card. Let me know what you think and if you want any changes.8666

Nightmoss
01-23-2014, 20:37
Here is a start for the ship card. Let me know what you think and if you want any changes.8666

Cool!! I like it a lot. Thanks, Andy. :happy: :salute: :thumbsup:

Gunner
01-23-2014, 21:12
I might have to :swordright:pirate:swordleft: your card and build my own.

Nightmoss
01-23-2014, 21:36
I might have to :swordright:pirate:swordleft: your card and build my own.

Actually, I'd just describe it as creative procurement? :wink:

I'll try printing a test card tomorrow and show it here if the printer does it justice.

Gunner
01-23-2014, 23:19
Do you use glossy photo paper for your cards?

Пилот
01-24-2014, 06:30
Rum is on me, Nightmoss :rum:

Mr Roberts
01-24-2014, 06:37
Nightmoss - It should print out to the correct dimensions to fit in the ships base. Let me know if it doesn't as I can send you a different file of it that should.

I'm also working on an insert for the ship log also.

Nightmoss
01-24-2014, 09:06
Do you use glossy photo paper for your cards?

Ed, I"m just going to use regular paper first to see if the colors come out ok. I just have a basic printer/photo copier. The photo paper might be just a tad too thick too?

Nightmoss - It should print out to the correct dimensions to fit in the ships base. Let me know if it doesn't as I can send you a different file of it that should.

I'm also working on an insert for the ship log also.

I'm going to try to print out of MS Publisher sometime today. Will be cool to see what you come up with for the ship log as well!!

Hobbes
01-24-2014, 09:52
That is really impressive, nice work on the ship card.

Looking at those stats, I get the slight feeling the "Pearl" might shift the balance quite a bit.

Mr Roberts
01-24-2014, 18:36
Jim,

I noticed that the one I attached is not correct (red dots on fireing cones are wrong).

Here is the corrected one.8679

Nightmoss
01-24-2014, 19:25
Thanks to Andy's hard work on a custom card for the Black Pearl I was able to print and test how it would look in the base. However, according to his message above I'll be redoing the card, but that's OK because the conversion to metric measurements in MS Word did not come out as they should have. The existing card is just under what it should be (46mm x 71mm). I took some photos just so you could see how the card works (regular stock paper for now) and what might happen if the HMS Bellona and HMS Terpsichore cornered the Pearl in a cove. Cheers!

Gunner
01-24-2014, 20:05
That looks great. Sure to raise eyebrows at any SGN game.

Coog
01-24-2014, 20:10
That looks great. Sure to raise eyebrows at any SGN game.

And attract British warships!

Cmmdre
01-24-2014, 20:16
Delicious eye candy Jim. :medal:

Berthier
01-24-2014, 20:38
Jim was the darker "sea" by design to match the ship or printer colour match issues because it looks very fine?

Nightmoss
01-24-2014, 22:35
Jim was the darker "sea" by design to match the ship or printer colour match issues because it looks very fine?

Probably a combination of my printer color settings and how Andy set up the card? He may well have made it darker though to set the mood of piratical ships? :sly:

Andy Blozinski
01-24-2014, 23:19
I think the darker color looks great.

Mr Roberts
01-25-2014, 13:20
Jim - I'm glad you like it and the "sea" part is actually pulled from Google Earth around the area of the Caribbean.

It looks as if Capt. Jack (Jim) Sparrow has himself in a predicament.

Andy

Nightmoss
01-25-2014, 14:00
Jim - I'm glad you like it and the "sea" part is actually pulled from Google Earth around the area of the Caribbean.

It looks as if Capt. Jack (Jim) Sparrow has himself in a predicament.

Andy

Thanks Andy, for letting us know where you got the darker "sea" color. Knowing it's from the Caribbean is actually very cool.

As for Captain Jack, he always knows or plans for a backdoor exit. :sly: :wink:

RickyBobbyFan
01-29-2014, 05:13
Thanks Andy, for letting us know where you got the darker "sea" color. Knowing it's from the Caribbean is actually very cool.

As for Captain Jack, he always knows or plans for a backdoor exit. :sly: :wink:

That ship looks fantastic. Great work. If you don't mind which ship did you use to convert into the Black Pearl? I could get my son to play if I had Pirates ships. Thanks in advance.

Nightmoss
01-29-2014, 08:08
That ship looks fantastic. Great work. If you don't mind which ship did you use to convert into the Black Pearl? I could get my son to play if I had Pirates ships. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Jaime. I used the HMS Terpsichore from the starter set, primarily because the hull is predominantly all black to begin with. Cheers!

Gunner
01-29-2014, 09:40

Welcome to you and your son to the Anchorage, Jamie.

RickyBobbyFan
01-29-2014, 18:00
Welcome to you and your son to the Anchorage, Jamie.

Thank you, this a great site with great people.

7eat51
01-29-2014, 21:52
The card looks great. I agree about the water color; it looks a bit ominous.

Jaime, stop by the Welcome Aboard forum and introduce yourself. Folks will be glad to meet you: http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay.php?5-Welcome-Aboard

Mr Roberts
01-31-2014, 15:36
Jim - Here is a sneak peek at the ship stat insert for the Black Pearl. I'm still tweaking it and should be finished in a couple days. I found a cool font and will be adjusting the ship base card one more time too.

Berthier
01-31-2014, 16:06
More impressive work Andy. The buccaneer figure is brilliant.

Nightmoss
01-31-2014, 17:36
Jim - Here is a sneak peek at the ship stat insert for the Black Pearl. I'm still tweaking it and should be finished in a couple days. I found a cool font and will be adjusting the ship base card one more time too.

Very cool, Andy!!! So, are you up for the Flying Dutchman, Queen Anne's Revenge and/or the Troubadour? I think I'm going to have to paint up an entire pirate fleet; who knows when Ares will get to this with all the British and French ships lined up and soon to be here. lol.

Of course the flip side of this is the HMS Dauntless, HMS Endeavor, HMS Providence and HMS Interceptor. :minis: :minis: :minis:

Mr Roberts
01-31-2014, 18:00
Very cool, Andy!!! So, are you up for the Flying Dutchman, Queen Anne's Revenge and/or the Troubadour? I think I'm going to have to paint up an entire pirate fleet; who knows when Ares will get to this with all the British and French ships lined up and soon to be here. lol.

Of course the flip side of this is the HMS Dauntless, HMS Endeavor, HMS Providence and HMS Interceptor. :minis: :minis: :minis:

Jim - This is an easy enjoyable hobby for me and the first design is always the hardest, so bring them on. I figured you can print this out and paste it to the one that came with the ship that you painted.

I am going to redo the ship base card with the better fonts like what I used on this ship stat. I will send them in some time tomorrow - let me know if you have in thing specific you want done to them.

Andy

Mr Roberts
01-31-2014, 18:05
More impressive work Andy. The buccaneer figure is brilliant.

Thank you, sir! This is actually a hobby I like doing and I have made several airplane cards over on the Wings of Glory Aerodrome under aper373.

Nightmoss
01-31-2014, 19:52
Jim - This is an easy enjoyable hobby for me and the first design is always the hardest, so bring them on. I figured you can print this out and paste it to the one that came with the ship that you painted.

I am going to redo the ship base card with the better fonts like what I used on this ship stat. I will send them in some time tomorrow - let me know if you have in thing specific you want done to them.

Andy

Andy, this is your project so there's nothing specific I need. I enjoy taking the game in a slightly different direction with the ship repaints and it's great you're helping facilitate that with the base cards and ship logs. It may be that some of the Wave 2 ships would work well as pirate ships also, but I think working with the smaller 32 guns vessels will allow for some fun now. A 1 vs. 1 with two "Black Pearl's" could be a blast. Cheers!

fredmiracle
01-31-2014, 20:09
Seems like pirate ships are a bit hard to stat, since weren't they crammed with a bunch of extra crew so as to overwhelm the enemies they boarded? Maybe they should get an extra E draw during boarding combat. I guess there could be a captain and crew card for that--the "chock full o' bloodthirsty villains" card or something like that

Nightmoss
01-31-2014, 22:37
Seems like pirate ships are a bit hard to stat, since weren't they crammed with a bunch of extra crew so as to overwhelm the enemies they boarded? Maybe they should get an extra E draw during boarding combat. I guess there could be a captain and crew card for that--the "chock full o' bloodthirsty villains" card or something like that

I really don't have the historical or technical knowledge to know how to stat the ships, logs, etc. I'll defer to the experts, but I have to say a "chock full o' bloodthirsty villains" card certainly sounds good. Seeing as Ares has indicated they do plan on a 'historical' SoG Pirate Wave I wonder how they'll approach the stats? It could be in the works, but as has been stated before it's probably below British/French, War of 1812, AWI or other nations like Spain?

7eat51
01-31-2014, 22:43
Great graphics work, Andy. :thumbsup:

Naharaht
01-31-2014, 23:11
Congratulations to you, Jim, on getting your model onto the Ares Facebook page. :thumbsup: It is good to know that Ares are considering pirate ships because I am sure that they would be popular. Barbary pirate ships would be a good opponents for the U.S.S. Constitution when it comes out. I cannot see Ares producing an official model of the 'Black Pearl' because I fear that a deal with the Disney organisation would be expensive.

I also noticed on the Ares FAcebook page that they are already reprinting the starter set because demand has exceeded what was predicted.

Congratulations to you too, Andy, on producing the ship card.:thumbsup: I am pleased to see that you have kept the Black Pearl's statistics realistic, unlike those printed on its 'Top Trumps' card.

Nightbomber
02-01-2014, 03:44
Truly awesome repaint:wink:

Nightmoss
02-01-2014, 09:23
Congratulations to you, Jim, on getting your model onto the Ares Facebook page. :thumbsup: It is good to know that Ares are considering pirate ships because I am sure that they would be popular. Barbary pirate ships would be a good opponents for the U.S.S. Constitution when it comes out. I cannot see Ares producing an official model of the 'Black Pearl' because I fear that a deal with the Disney organisation would be expensive.

David, I completely agree. I don't expect Ares could afford the cost of a Disney license, and frankly, I would hope they wouldn't try. Ares states from the FB response that they'll go with the 'historical' pirates, which still gives them a lot of room for expansion. Add in the Barbary ships and some US ships and I think you'd have another slant with a similar theme?

P.S. Just got back from checking the Ares Sails of Glory Facebook page. As you said they're now saying they've 'sold out' of the starter set at the warehouse and a reprint will be done this Spring. Knowing what we do about production schedules in China I don't think we'll see the new sets until Summer?

Andy Blozinski
02-01-2014, 10:20
I just hope they get some more ship's mats sets out. I can't run more than (8) ships until they do as they didn't send me extra mats to go with the extra ships I ordered.

Mr Roberts
02-01-2014, 16:01
Andy, this is your project so there's nothing specific I need. I enjoy taking the game in a slightly different direction with the ship repaints and it's great you're helping facilitate that with the base cards and ship logs. It may be that some of the Wave 2 ships would work well as pirate ships also, but I think working with the smaller 32 guns vessels will allow for some fun now. A 1 vs. 1 with two "Black Pearl's" could be a blast. Cheers!

Jim - Here are the finished base card and ship stats for the Black Pearl. I hope you enjoy them and let me know if you need and others done.

Nightmoss
02-01-2014, 17:56
Jim - Here are the finished base card and ship stats for the Black Pearl. I hope you enjoy them and let me know if you need and others done.

Andy, they look fantastic! I'll see what I can do with some print outs in the next couple of days. :thumbsup:

Avi
02-02-2014, 03:17
This is very beautiful - thanks

Small typo, I think, The burden on the log is 2 on the card 7.

Jack Aubrey
02-02-2014, 03:27
Looks great, wonderful :clap:

FlyXwire
02-02-2014, 07:12
This is great stuff! :thumbsup:

RickyBobbyFan
02-02-2014, 07:23

This so awesome. I am going to paint up a Black Pearl and a Queen Anne's Revenge. Do you recommend I use a frigate for the Queen Anne's ship as well? Also would consider using your expert skill in creating the base card and ship stats for a Queen Anne?

Nightmoss
02-02-2014, 08:48
Andy, the card and log printed out really well last night but I've not yet mounted it to cardboard for a finished look. Thanks again!

Jaime, I would use either of the frigates, which historically might actually be too many guns, but they look good painted up. I used the HMS Terpsichore from the starter set because it's almost all black to start with. Be sure to post your photos! We'd all like to see what folks come up with!!

RickyBobbyFan
02-02-2014, 09:35
Great, thank you Jim for the quick response. A little challenged posting pics but will try once complete. Is there instructions on the site for adding an avatar to my profile? I probably missed it.

7eat51
02-02-2014, 09:40
On avatars: http://sailsofglory.org/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=avatar&titleandtext=1&match=all

Let us know if you need any help, Jaime.

Mr Roberts
02-02-2014, 09:49
This is very beautiful - thanks

Small typo, I think, The burden on the log is 2 on the card 7.

Well now, that just won't do. Thanks for the good eye in catching that Avi.

Jim - I have corrected the burden on the ship card and here it is.

Andy Blozinski
02-02-2014, 12:56
Bearing in mind that it is a movie ship and would have capabilities beyond what a real ship its size would actually have, I'm thinking one of the bearing 4 ships coming out would be a good representation for the Black Pearl. Although the Terpsichore has burden 2, I would suggest giving the Black Pearl burden 3 so it could take a little bit more of a beating and keep going.

Gunner
02-02-2014, 16:47
A burden 3 without any extra firepower sounds right.

Nightmoss
02-03-2014, 14:17
Following up on the work Andy put into making the Black Pearl base ship card and log I've tried some experimentation with the punch board that comes out of the basic ship card. Removing the counters I basically pasted on a simple print out of the BP log onto the board. This works OK, but needs refinement. The boards need slight trimming to fit more easily into the card and I will most likely use a heavier stock paper and add laminating to protect the log surface. You could easily do both sides with ship variations, but for now the flip side of the BP is just white typing paper. I also did a couple close up shots of the Pearl ship card. You can see from the photos that I have to trim them a bit more to get them to lay flat, but the results are great! Cheers!

Mr Roberts
02-03-2014, 15:47
Jim, thanks again for the opportunity to help you with this project. If you come up with another ship - pirate or not - I'll be happy to make you the ship card and log. Happy sails!

RickyBobbyFan
02-03-2014, 17:24
Hi Andy, you have done incredible work on the Black Pearl base and card. I am going to paint up Queen Anne's Revenge, would consider using the exact same items you made for Jim and change the name to Queen Anne's Revenge?

Nightmoss
02-03-2014, 18:12
Jim, thanks again for the opportunity to help you with this project. If you come up with another ship - pirate or not - I'll be happy to make you the ship card and log. Happy sails!

Thank you, Andy. They turned out great!

Well, since you've offered I thought my next ship/pirate repaint would be Bartholomew Roberts, aka Black Bart, aka Dread Pirate Roberts, and his ship, the Royal Fortune. Probably one of the most successful 'historical' pirates I've come across in my limited reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartholomew_Roberts

He changed his flag, which is an interesting story all its own, but I plan on using the first one, which is the one with two figures (see attached photos).

Mr Roberts
02-03-2014, 18:53
Hi Andy, you have done incredible work on the Black Pearl base and card. I am going to paint up Queen Anne's Revenge, would consider using the exact same items you made for Jim and change the name to Queen Anne's Revenge?

Jamie - I have no problems doing this for you. Is everything the exact same? Do you know what flag was flown?

Andy

Mr Roberts
02-03-2014, 18:55
Thank you, Andy. They turned out great!

Well, since you've offered I thought my next ship/pirate repaint would be Bartholomew Roberts, aka Black Bart, aka Dread Pirate Roberts, and his ship, the Royal Fortune. Probably one of the most successful 'historical' pirates I've come across in my limited reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartholomew_Roberts

He changed his flag, which is an interesting story all its own, but I plan on using the first one, which is the one with two figures (see attached photos).

Jim,

Interesting indeed as my last name is Roberts...... Which ship are you planning on using?

Andy

RickyBobbyFan
02-03-2014, 19:31
Andy that is extremely nice of you. Yes here is the flag I found for this ship. 8851
Could you please make Queen Anne's Revenge with 8 and burden 3? I will post a photo of my painted ship if I can figure out how.

7eat51
02-03-2014, 19:59
Andy, if we would like a card of the Black Pearl, should we just save the image in post #91 and resize?

I will be teaching some Jr. High boys the game, and I think having a pirate ship or two would draw them in.

Really impressive work on this thread, guys. I admire your artistic skills. :hatsoff:

Nightmoss
02-03-2014, 20:06
Jim,

Interesting indeed as my last name is Roberts...... Which ship are you planning on using?

Andy

Thanks Andy, please give priority to Jaime's Queen Anne's Revenge. I'm in no rush at all and just started the repaint this evening. The ship I'll be using is also from the starter set. The Courageuse, 1785. Cheers!!

RickyBobbyFan
02-03-2014, 20:16
88558856Here is a terrible picture of my painted Queen Anne's Revenge.8853

Mr Roberts
02-03-2014, 20:27
Andy, if we would like a card of the Black Pearl, should we just save the image in post #91 and resize?

I will be teaching some Jr. High boys the game, and I think having a pirate ship or two would draw them in.

Really impressive work on this thread, guys. I admire your artistic skills. :hatsoff:

Eric - yes, use the one from post #91 and resize if needed. I though I had it to the correct size but the transfer of file types may have changed it. Good luck with the Jr. High boys - let us know how the game goes.

Andy

Mr Roberts
02-03-2014, 20:33
Andy that is extremely nice of you. Yes here is the flag I found for this ship. 8851
Could you please make Queen Anne's Revenge with 8 and burden 3? I will post a photo of my painted ship if I can figure out how.

Jaime,

Will do, and I will post this sometime tomorrow. Oh, do you like the font I used on the Black Pearl? I ask as I have another 'pirate" type font I can use.

Andy

Mr Roberts
02-03-2014, 20:35
Thanks Andy, please give priority to Jaime's Queen Anne's Revenge. I'm in no rush at all and just started the repaint this evening. The ship I'll be using is also from the starter set. The Courageuse, 1785. Cheers!!

Jim,

Sounds good. I will have Jaime's rough draft posted tomorrow and we will probably work things out on it over the next few days. After that, I'll post the rough draft for yours.

Andy

Nightmoss
02-03-2014, 20:39
Here is a terrible picture of my painted Queen Anne's Revenge.8853

Jaime, for some reason I can't see your attachment?

Jim,

Sounds good. I will have Jaime's rough draft posted tomorrow and we will probably work things out on it over the next few days. After that, I'll post the rough draft for yours.

Andy

Andy,
That sounds great, and thanks again!
Jim

RickyBobbyFan
02-04-2014, 05:21
Yes the font you used for the Black Pearl is perfect. Thank you Andy.

Nightmoss
02-04-2014, 08:59
Jaime, I certainly don't think your repaint is horrible!! I like the red sails, which really adds to the ominous reputation of Blackbeard! :salute:

The Royal Hajj
02-04-2014, 09:22
Some really great work in here guys!

Andy, you should save your graphics for these as PDFs and upload them to the Files System. We can setup a category for Pirate Ships in there where people can get every thing they need in one spot.

The Royal Hajj
02-04-2014, 09:23
Here is a terrible picture of my painted Queen Anne's Revenge.

One of these days I'll get around to painting one up with dark red sails as well... looks really great!

7eat51
02-04-2014, 09:36
That is an interesting/intriguing repaint, Jaime. I, too, don't think it is horrible, at all - I like the red a lot. It will make a statement on the table, for sure.

I really like these ships. I think they will make for great gateways when introducing nonwargamers to SoG. For young newbies, I think they would enjoy a pirate theme much more than a Napoleonic theme for their first game. It is easier for them to get their imagination into the game, some measure of familiarity there. Once a game or two is under their belt, I can see how easy it would be to usher in Napoleonic's, especially in conjunction with a movie or an episode of Hornblower.

FlyXwire
02-04-2014, 09:38

Andy, you should save your graphics for these as PDFs and upload them to the Files System. We can setup a category for Pirate Ships in there where people can get every thing they need in one spot.
Please do guys! :salute:

RickyBobbyFan
02-04-2014, 11:01
That is an interesting/intriguing repaint, Jaime. I, too, don't think it is horrible, at all - I like the red a lot. It will make a statement on the table, for sure.

I really like these ships. I think they will make for great gateways when introducing nonwargamers to SoG. For young newbies, I think they would enjoy a pirate theme much more than a Napoleonic theme for their first game. It is easier for them to get their imagination into the game, some measure of familiarity there. Once a game or two is under their belt, I can see how easy it would be to usher in Napoleonic's, especially in conjunction with a movie or an episode of Hornblower.

Hi guys, sorry I meant my photo taking ability is bad. The finished product
Does look very good, thank you for the compliments on the
Ship. Can't wait to set sail with it. Jim & Andy
Thank so much for your support on this fun project.
Keep the great ideas coming.

Nightmoss
02-04-2014, 11:28

I passed some of my saved files from Andy's work on to Eric for some testing, but if Andy saves everything as a PDF that would be great. I have files for flags of the Black Pearl and Royal Fortune, but don't know how they might save as uploads?

The Royal Hajj
02-04-2014, 11:32
What file format are the flags in?

Nightmoss
02-04-2014, 11:41
What file format are the flags in?

At the moment in MS Publisher, or .pub file. I could probably change them to .jpg or .png without much hassle? Let me go try.

Mr Roberts
02-04-2014, 11:57

I can do this. I would like to get a couple finalized first then I will transfer and upload them to the Files.

The Royal Hajj
02-04-2014, 11:59
If you have the ability to make the canvas or page size the standard 8.5x11 while keeping the graphics the correct size, save them as either JPG or PNG. One of us can convert that image to a PDF and combine it with Andy's PDF file.

The Royal Hajj
02-04-2014, 12:00
I can do this. I would like to get a couple finalized first then I will transfer and upload them to the Files.

That would be great. I would ask that you make and upload a separate file for each ship (easier to manage down the road if need be).

Mr Roberts
02-04-2014, 12:53

Jaime,

Here is the ship card and ship stat for your Queen Anne's Revenge. Let me know if you want any changes.

Nightmoss
02-04-2014, 13:40
Jaime,

Here is the ship card and ship stat for your Queen Anne's Revenge. Let me know if you want any changes.

Sweet looking card and log, Andy. :thumbsup:

Nightmoss
02-04-2014, 14:29
Here's an experiment. I converted the Queen Anne's Revenge Flag I made in MS Publisher to a .jpg. Would this file type work as a file upload? I've been using a labeling tool in MS Publisher which is why there are four flags. I'm assuming you could load this .jpg into any program for sizing and printing? Then just cut out the flag bend over a thread using some white glue and you have a flag. Depending on ink and paper you can reform the flag to your preference.

Mr Roberts
02-04-2014, 16:31
Here's an experiment. I converted the Queen Anne's Revenge Flag I made in MS Publisher to a .jpg. Would this file type work as a file upload? I've been using a labeling tool in MS Publisher which is why there are four flags. I'm assuming you could load this .jpg into any program for sizing and printing? Then just cut out the flag bend over a thread using some white glue and you have a flag. Depending on ink and paper you can reform the flag to your preference.

Nicely done Jim!

Mr Roberts
02-04-2014, 17:15

Keith,

I have the Black Pearl set up as a PDF and ready to upload. Did you want me to wait until the Pirate Ships category is setup before I upload it?

RickyBobbyFan
02-04-2014, 18:26
Hey Andy, that is some awesome work!!!! I do need to check which deck the ship I converted uses, not sure if it is C or something else. Thank you so much for putting this together. I am traveling right now but when I get home I will track down the maneuver deck.

Nightmoss
02-04-2014, 20:08
Hey Andy, that is some awesome work!!!! I do need to check which deck the ship I converted uses, not sure if it is C or something else. Thank you so much for putting this together. I am traveling right now but when I get home I will track down the maneuver deck.

Jaime, if you're using the Terpsichore the stats are burden 2, maneuver deck C and veer of 8. The Courageuse is burden of 3, maneuver deck A and veer of 7 (this is the ship I'll be using for the Royal Fortune). Cheers!

RickyBobbyFan
02-05-2014, 04:21
Jaime, if you're using the Terpsichore the stats are burden 2, maneuver deck C and veer of 8. The Courageuse is burden of 3, maneuver deck A and veer of 7 (this is the ship I'll be using for the Royal Fortune). Cheers!

Thank you Jim. I used a frigate I purchased separately from the Starter set. Will have to check when I get back in town.

The Royal Hajj
02-05-2014, 07:27
Keith,

I have the Black Pearl set up as a PDF and ready to upload. Did you want me to wait until the Pirate Ships category is setup before I upload it?

I just created it for you. Thanks.

Nightmoss
02-05-2014, 09:20
Thank you Jim. I used a frigate I purchased separately from the Starter set. Will have to check when I get back in town.

Sounds good, Jaime. Andy might have to edit your card and log then? Can't wait to see the final ship and base. :happy:

The Royal Hajj
02-05-2014, 09:26
If you guys keep this up, we might have to have a special Pirate section here on the forums.

Nightmoss
02-05-2014, 09:39
If you guys keep this up, we might have to have a special Pirate section here on the forums.

Well, if Ares follows through on their FB statement that might be something for down the road? Pirates and Privateers are popular. :wink:

Coog
02-05-2014, 09:44
A separate pirate game set in the Golden Age of Piracy would probably do well. It could use the current game system or something similar to it. It would be like WGF and WGS, similar but different. A Kickstarter would do well if Ares wanted to finance it that way.

The Royal Hajj
02-05-2014, 10:41
I think they are going to stick to historic pirates. But fictional and embellished pirates ships could be come a very popular hobby aspect. I actually think they would do well to license Pirates of the Caribbean (they already license LotR) and do a full range in that setting. Pirates are very popular as we all know and going to the fictional side of things allows lots of options that would not otherwise be available. Build in a little bit of role play or captain building and they would be staring at a chest full of gold!

RickyBobbyFan
02-07-2014, 05:16
Hi Andy, I used the HMS Concorde 1783 for the Queen Anne's revenge.
Could you please change the Manuever deck to A? Then it will be ready
To print and play. Thank you once again for doing this.

Mr Roberts
02-07-2014, 10:41
Hi Andy, I used the HMS Concorde 1783 for the Queen Anne's revenge.
Could you please change the Manuever deck to A? Then it will be ready
To print and play. Thank you once again for doing this.

Jaime,

I'm currently at work and I do not have all of the information in front of me, but is the maneuver deck letter the only thing you need me to change?

I can check the other info tonight and get it changed and posted.

Andy

Nightmoss
02-07-2014, 15:03
Bartholomew Roberts (17 May 1682 – 10 February 1722), born John Roberts, was a Welsh pirate who raided ships off the Americas and West Africa between 1719 and 1722. He was the most successful pirate of the Golden Age of Piracy, as measured by vessels captured, taking over 470 prizes in his career. He is also known as Black Bart (Welsh: Barti Ddu), but this name was never used in his lifetime. In the novel The Princess Bride and its film adaptation, protagonist Westley dons the mantle of the Dread Pirate Roberts, a mythical figure inspired by Bartholomew Roberts.

Image and information taken directly from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartholomew_Roberts

Roberts main ship was the Royal Fortune, of which he had several over the course of his career. The Royal Fortune is my latest pirate repaint. I used the SoG starter set ship Courageuse 1778 as the base for this interpretation. Cheers!

RickyBobbyFan
02-07-2014, 16:21
Jaime,

I'm currently at work and I do not have all of the information in front of me, but is the maneuver deck letter the only thing you need me to change?

I can check the other info tonight and get it changed and posted.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes sir. Just the Manuever deck change from C to A would be awesome. Thank you Sir!:medal::medal:

RickyBobbyFan
02-07-2014, 16:23
Jim, outstanding work-the red really stands out. Did you post already on how you added all the rigging and additional lines ans where you got the supplies to make them?

Gunner
02-07-2014, 17:34
That red & black paint scheme looks great.

Mr Roberts
02-07-2014, 17:46
Hi Andy,

Yes sir. Just the Manuever deck change from C to A would be awesome. Thank you Sir!:medal::medal:

Ahoy Jaime,

How does these look?

Andy

Mr Roberts
02-07-2014, 17:50
Jim,

Amazing as always sir. I really like the look of the red and the weathered sails. I will have your ship card and stats later this evening or tomorrow.:salute:

Andy

Nightmoss
02-07-2014, 18:27
Jim, outstanding work-the red really stands out. Did you post already on how you added all the rigging and additional lines ans where you got the supplies to make them?

Thanks! The rigging is directly from Rod Langton's book on painting and rigging Age of Sail ships. Check out this thread on our site for the book and information on supplies as well: http://www.sailsofglory.org/content.php?10-Building-and-painting-the-HMS-Sovereign

One place I know of you can purchase the book: http://waterloominis.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_54&products_id=242

Jim,

Amazing as always sir. I really like the look of the red and the weathered sails. I will have your ship card and stats later this evening or tomorrow.:salute:

Andy

Thanks Andy! There's no rush. I've got more touch up work to do and many other ships lined up for assembly and painting.

Nightmoss
02-07-2014, 18:29
That red & black paint scheme looks great.

Thanks, Ed. The red isn't quite as bright as it's coming through on the photos. I suspect it's the heavy blue mat background that's weirding out the camera?

RickyBobbyFan
02-07-2014, 19:19
These look fantastic. Another job well done. Thanks again Andy for updating these.

Пилот
02-09-2014, 11:38
Amazing stuff can be found here :salute:
Bravo!

RickyBobbyFan
02-09-2014, 17:21
I printed out the ship card and mat. Please find a photo taken from an iPhone. Andy you do amazing work. 8937

Nightmoss
02-09-2014, 17:38
Looks great, Jaime!! :thumbsup:

Пилот
02-09-2014, 17:49
Fine :happy:

Mr Roberts
02-13-2014, 21:08
Bartholomew Roberts (17 May 1682 – 10 February 1722), born John Roberts, was a Welsh pirate who raided ships off the Americas and West Africa between 1719 and 1722. He was the most successful pirate of the Golden Age of Piracy, as measured by vessels captured, taking over 470 prizes in his career. He is also known as Black Bart (Welsh: Barti Ddu), but this name was never used in his lifetime. In the novel The Princess Bride and its film adaptation, protagonist Westley dons the mantle of the Dread Pirate Roberts, a mythical figure inspired by Bartholomew Roberts.

Image and information taken directly from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartholomew_Roberts

Roberts main ship was the Royal Fortune, of which he had several over the course of his career. The Royal Fortune is my latest pirate repaint. I used the SoG starter set ship Courageuse 1778 as the base for this interpretation. Cheers!

Jim, Here are the ship base card and ship stat card for the Royal Fortune. I hope they do your fine ship justice.

Andy

Nightmoss
02-14-2014, 08:00
Hi Andy,

The ship card and log look great!! Thanks very much for doing this. I'm going to be busy with a model railroad show so I probably wont get any printing and photos done until early next week. Thanks again!! :thumbsup:

PirateBlake
02-14-2014, 23:05
Argg, the repaint look awesome. Andy the cards and logs are great. And I approve of a pirate section :beer:

7eat51
02-15-2014, 15:53
Great work on the card, Andy.

I'm going to be busy with a model railroad show so I probably wont get any printing and photos done until early next week.

The used bookstore by my house is clearing out quite a few books. I stopped by there today, and I saw a decent sized collection of model and real locomotive/railroad type books. If you're looking for anything, let me know. I will stop by there again next week and can take a look for you.

Nightmoss
03-07-2014, 14:40
It's finally warmed up enough so I can go back to the basement work area and start working again on SoG repaints, etc. Here are two photos of the Black Pearl and Royal Fortune and the other two repaints I've managed to date. Custom card work by Andy. I've not cut out the ship log that Andy did or a new label for the Royal Fortune's other base, but that will come soon, if it stays warm enough. Cheers!

RickyBobbyFan
03-07-2014, 18:20
Awesome work Jim!

mt1ss bob
03-08-2014, 06:33
these are so awesome!!!! wish I was talented enough to do this!!!

SeaRoyal20
03-11-2014, 12:41
Nice. Are there duplicate cards already?

Nightmoss
03-11-2014, 16:35
Nice. Are there duplicate cards already?

These are custom crafted cards by Andy (nothing officially sanctioned by Ares, or anyone else). I believe he's posted the files on our site for download?

Пилот
03-13-2014, 01:48
Really great looking fleet! Awesome!:Arrrr:

Nightmoss
03-21-2014, 15:41
Well, another ship has joined the Pirate Fleet. However, this ship, captain and crew answer to no ones navy; pirate or otherwise. I give you the Flying Dutchman (text below is from Wikipedia). Cheers! :happy:

The Flying Dutchman is a legendary ghost ship that can never make port and is doomed to sail the oceans forever. The myth is likely to have originated from 17th-century nautical folklore. The oldest extant version dates to the late 18th century. Sightings in the 19th and 20th centuries reported the ship to be glowing with ghostly light. If hailed by another ship, the crew of the Flying Dutchman will try to send messages to land, or to people long dead. In ocean lore, the sight of this phantom ship is a portent of doom.

P.S. Sure hope those custom Anchorage ratlines would hurry up and get here?

Hobbes
03-24-2014, 11:01
That is an amazing paint job. Really nice looking sails, I can see my sailors shiver upon site of them.

Nightmoss
04-03-2014, 20:17
One last ship for my pirate fleet, which now includes all the ships from the SoG starter set. I really liked how Jaime's (RickyBobbyFan) Queen Anne's Revenge turned out so I decided to use the British ship HMS Defense as the base model and painted it as close to what I think he had as a final version? It's now ready for rigging.

If Wikipedia can be trusted in this the Queen Anne's Revenge was originally a British frigate (Concord) built in 1710 and later captured by the French one year later. She was renamed La Concorde de Nantes and converted into a slave ship.

Sailing as a slave ship, she was captured by the pirate Captain Benjamin Hornigold on November 28, 1717, near the island of Martinique. Hornigold turned her over to one of his men —Edward Teach, later known as Blackbeard—and made him her captain. Teach's first mate, Christopher Blackwood (known as Blackbeard's Claw), was feared as a ferocious fighter and led many of Blackbeard's boarding parties.

You can find the rest of the story here with additional information on a wreck found off North Carolina in 1996 that may well be the real Queen Anne's Revenge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Anne's_Revenge

Andy Blozinski
04-04-2014, 19:07
I absolutely love how the sails on the Flying Dutchman look. That green is perfectly ghostly spooky. You need to do something with the hull to go along with it. I'm thinking maybe you should try a light wash of that same green and do a practice run on something to see if you can get the suggestion of green glow from the hull, but still keep the basics of how it looks.

Nightmoss
04-05-2014, 10:17
I absolutely love how the sails on the Flying Dutchman look. That green is perfectly ghostly spooky. You need to do something with the hull to go along with it. I'm thinking maybe you should try a light wash of that same green and do a practice run on something to see if you can get the suggestion of green glow from the hull, but still keep the basics of how it looks.

Thanks for the suggestion, Andy. I'd thought about doing the hull in the same green, but was concerned that it might be overkill. I went ahead and tried it this morning with a light black wash over the green to tone it down a bit. I think it turned out OK? Here are a couple of shots to see what you think?

Gunner
04-05-2014, 10:31
Now that is a nice touch to the Flying Dutchman, Jim. I also like your use of the brown. :hatsoff:
No kings ship would dare go near it.

Andy Blozinski
04-05-2014, 14:03
I think that might be a good starting point. I was thinking in terms of a faint green "glow" from the hull in general. I think the stronger green sides works out well to set the tone, but you wouldn't want that all over. The brown accents do look good as well. What might top it all off is a light green wash only on the deck sections. It's kind of a risky move, so I would suggest a practice run on some other surface or mini. Some green settled down into the surface and still having the other projections (boats, cannons, etc) brown will probably give it just enough ghostly hint.

Nightmoss
04-05-2014, 16:23
I finished up the Queen Anne's Revenge today. Some photos for the record. These ships improve so dramatically with a minimal amount of effort. I can't wait to see how the brass ratlines coming from the Anchorage Store will enhance them even more. Cheers!

Andy Blozinski
04-05-2014, 21:48
What you have been doing is not minimal effort! You've been putting lots of quality work into these and it shows.
I've just been painting the masts, cross beams and putting a wash on the sails. That's minimal effort. But...your statement is quite accurate. This minimal level of effort has a huge positive impact on how the mini looks.
When I get my wave 2 ships in, I fully plan on doing one of the heavy frigates up Hollywood pirate style and you have been the inspiration. I've never rigged a ship before and I just might go for it. I'm thinking on going for the Royal Fortune look you did as I really like that. It's going to have the ratlines and just maybe the rigging. When I do my demos, I want to have three levels of detail so prospective players can see the flexibility of options
1) Factory stock
2) Minimal level = masts, sails washed and maybe ratlines. I might do minimal level with and without ratlines.
3) All out = hull detail, masts, sails washed, ratlines, and rigging.

Gunner
04-05-2014, 22:17
To me rigging is a maximum effort/level. Ratlines with Keith's brass would be the easy part. Thanks Keith.:hatsoff:

Nightmoss
04-05-2014, 22:55
What you have been doing is not minimal effort! You've been putting lots of quality work into these and it shows.
I've just been painting the masts, cross beams and putting a wash on the sails. That's minimal effort. But...your statement is quite accurate. This minimal level of effort has a huge positive impact on how the mini looks.
When I get my wave 2 ships in, I fully plan on doing one of the heavy frigates up Hollywood pirate style and you have been the inspiration. I've never rigged a ship before and I just might go for it. I'm thinking on going for the Royal Fortune look you did as I really like that. It's going to have the ratlines and just maybe the rigging. When I do my demos, I want to have three levels of detail so prospective players can see the flexibility of options
1) Factory stock
2) Minimal level = masts, sails washed and maybe ratlines. I might do minimal level with and without ratlines.
3) All out = hull detail, masts, sails washed, ratlines, and rigging.

I will admit that the rigging is not something you do quickly, but after you've done just a few ships it starts to go much faster. The painting, washes, etc. are fairly easy to do and don't take up much time. The added green hull work on the Flying Dutchman took all of 10 minutes (with a black wash over the green). I'm anxious to see your demo ships and the AAR's as well.

To me rigging is a maximum effort/level. Ratlines with Keith's brass would be the easy part. Thanks Keith.:hatsoff:

I agree that rigging is definitely more effort and the ratlines are the quickest part. As I've said before I can't wait to get my ships set up with Keith's custom brass ratlines.

Пилот
04-06-2014, 11:25
Nightmoss,

:hatsoff:

Andy Blozinski
06-25-2014, 21:35
Anyone know how to get hold of Andy Roberts? He hasn't logged on in weeks and I was hoping he could modify the pirate logs he made so they would work for my ship.

Gunner
06-25-2014, 21:56
Have you tried to PM him?

Nightmoss
06-25-2014, 23:08
Not sure what happened to him, but his logs were very well done. Like Ed suggested a PM to him might go to his email and he'll check back with you?

Andy Blozinski
06-26-2014, 16:39
Not sure what happened to him, but his logs were very well done. Like Ed suggested a PM to him might go to his email and he'll check back with you?
Tried that and no response. His last log in date was June 6th.

Nightmoss
06-26-2014, 17:13
Tried that and no response. His last log in date was June 6th.

Well, I hope he's just busy or maybe lost interest in SoG rather than something having happened to him?

Maybe someone else here can help you modify the existing logs he did for the Black Pearl, Royal Fortune or Queen Anne's Revenge? I expect he used something like Photoshop, which I don't have.

Andy Blozinski
06-26-2014, 21:27
Well, I hope he's just busy or maybe lost interest in SoG rather than something having happened to him?

Maybe someone else here can help you modify the existing logs he did for the Black Pearl, Royal Fortune or Queen Anne's Revenge? I expect he used something like Photoshop, which I don't have.
I'm completely lacking in access to fancy photo editing software.

7eat51
06-26-2014, 22:34
I can ask Sue if Andy does not return. Being summer, he could be busy with vacation, covering for folks at work, etc.

Mr Roberts
07-09-2014, 21:09
Hello Everyone!

Please pardon my going awol, one thing after another has kept me busy. My job was getting way out of hand and I was working 12 hour days, 7 days a week. Then the company decided that it was not enough and let me go. I am having to sell my house and move in with relatives for the time being. Oh, and to add insult to injuries, someway, somehow, the entire file with all of my templates for the SoG ship bases and mats was deleted from my computer. Having said all of this - if you can give me a few days I will have everything remade and can make whatever you require.

Regards,

Andy Roberts

Nightmoss
07-09-2014, 22:03
Hello Everyone!

Please pardon my going awol, one thing after another has kept me busy. My job was getting way out of hand and I was working 12 hour days, 7 days a week. Then the company decided that it was not enough and let me go. I am having to sell my house and move in with relatives for the time being. Oh, and to add insult to injuries, someway, somehow, the entire file with all of my templates for the SoG ship bases and mats was deleted from my computer. Having said all of this - if you can give me a few days I will have everything remade and can make whatever you require.

Regards,

Andy Roberts

Hey Andy. We're glad you're back, but very sorry to hear the unfortunate news about your job and home. Under the circumstances I wouldn't worry too much about getting things here back up to where you had them unless it's something you're going to enjoy doing? Take your time and enjoy reading up on the stuff that's happened while you were busy. Take care! :salute:

7eat51
07-10-2014, 14:45
Hi Andy,

I am very sorry to hear of your situation. I think all of us would say our concern is for you and your family, so to echo Jim, unless you find site interaction a welcome relief, don't worry about our desires.

I truly hope you experience more favorable winds, and do so soon.

Berthier
07-11-2014, 04:12
Hi Andy
I can only reiterate what the other guys have said. Know you have a port in any storm here. :thumbsup:

Mr Roberts
07-15-2014, 07:17
Jim, Thanks to you and the others for the kind words and thoughts. Not having a job at the moment gives me the time that I didn't have to work on and play some SGN. So, I am in the process of remaking my templates and helping Andy B. with his needs. Anyone else that needs ship mats or base cards I can help them also.

I'm going to work on a personal project having to do with ironclads and will be sharing that once I have something to show.

Andy

Nightmoss
07-15-2014, 09:10
Jim, Thanks to you and the others for the kind words and thoughts. Not having a job at the moment gives me the time that I didn't have to work on and play some SGN. So, I am in the process of remaking my templates and helping Andy B. with his needs. Anyone else that needs ship mats or base cards I can help them also.

I'm going to work on a personal project having to do with ironclads and will be sharing that once I have something to show.

Andy

Sounds good, Andy. I know Andy B. has been working on a "Hollywoodized" pirate ship for SoG. I'll be interested to see how that turns out. Your project also sounds very interesting. Please do share when you get to the point where you wnat to show stuff off.

If (and only if) you have some extra time the two SoL's I did repaints for above will need base cards and ship logs. I did the Flying Dutchman and Queen Anne's Revenge, but as they are way too powerful to be realistic pirate/privateer ships there's no rush. It was just a fun repaint on both.

Cheers!

AirborneEnginee
07-28-2014, 19:55
Has anyone created cards and ship logs for pirate sloops yet?

Nightmoss
07-28-2014, 22:20

No, not that I'm aware of.

Andy Blozinski
07-29-2014, 19:27
One of the sloops is an American privateer.

Nightmoss
07-29-2014, 20:42
One of the sloops is an American privateer.

Yes, the Thorn was a Massachusetts privateer: http://www.awiatsea.com/Privateers/T/Thorn%20Massachusetts%20Ship%20%28Waters%20Cowell%20Tucker%20Cowell%29.html

But, I'm thinking Airborne wants Pirates, like the Crimson Permanent Assurance? :wink:

Nightmoss
08-25-2014, 13:27
I thought the Black Pearl flag file was previously uploaded, but couldn't locate it. So here it is if anyone is so inclined to be Captain Jack. Four flags for the price of one. Cheers!

RotS-Targe
08-31-2014, 16:10
Thanks for the suggestion, Andy. I'd thought about doing the hull in the same green, but was concerned that it might be overkill. I went ahead and tried it this morning with a light black wash over the green to tone it down a bit. I think it turned out OK? Here are a couple of shots to see what you think?

I'm a little late, but, please tell me her sails glow in the dark.
(overkill?)

Coog
08-31-2014, 16:33
(overkill?)

Hmmm...There is glow in the dark paint.

Gunner
08-31-2014, 16:33
I thought the Black Pearl flag file was previously uploaded, but couldn't locate it. So here it is if anyone is so inclined to be Captain Jack. Four flags for the price of one. Cheers!

Forgot to thank you for Jack's flag. I will use it when I get around to building some pirate ships.:drinks:

Gunner
08-31-2014, 16:39
Hmmm...There is glow in the dark paint.

Yes but, that's a good way of getting sunk at night.

RotS-Targe
08-31-2014, 17:33
Yes but, that's a good way of getting sunk at night.
She's the Dutchman, I highly doubt she has much to fear from any mortal ship or crew.

Nightmoss
08-31-2014, 18:07
Forgot to thank you for Jack's flag. I will use it when I get around to building some pirate ships.:drinks:

You're very welcome.

You know, I was just thinking that Jack's flag might look kind of cool on the Millennium Falcon?! :wink:

Nightmoss
08-31-2014, 18:09
(overkill?)

They don't actually glow in the dark, but they do reflect and react to light in a rather eerie manner. Kind of creepy as a matter of fact. :shock:

Gunner
08-31-2014, 18:51
You're very welcome.

You know, I was just thinking that Jack's flag might look kind of cool on the Millennium Falcon?! :wink:

Yes it would, flying right over the quad laser cannon.:beer:

csadn
09-01-2014, 16:53

It beats an overall orange paintjob with a Confederate Battle Flag and "01"....

Coog
09-01-2014, 18:07
It beats an overall orange paintjob with a Confederate Battle Flag and "01"....

...or black overall with the number "3"

Popsical
09-02-2014, 01:46
Those models look fantastic! My models for the black pearl will Embuscade, i will only own 1 starter set and dont want to use a ship i cant replace individually.
Shes on her way to me as i type. Shopping around on ebay seems the most cost effective way of getting what i want in blighty, which is a shame because i do like to help bricks and mortar stores where possible.

Well done with those repaints guys.

csadn
09-02-2014, 17:47
...or black overall with the number "3"

That's the respray of the Imperial Shuttle. >:)

Popsical
09-06-2014, 04:33
Im having trouble printing off the black pearl log and ship card as it always comes out 5mm too large for my base.
Any suggestions? Cheers Steve

No worries, done it now. Huzzah!

wan314
09-06-2014, 10:59
Use word or PowerPoint and import the image (cut and paste too) and then resize it. One can do that numerically in the image properties.
I'm assuming you are having problems with printing the image from a graphics program not a printer problem.

martinberlin
10-31-2014, 17:14
The Black Falcon is trying to escape from English pirate hunters ...

Nightmoss
10-31-2014, 19:33
Nice!! I trust the Black Falcon will make good it's escape! :thumbsup:

csadn
11-01-2014, 14:53
Nice!! I trust the Black Falcon will make good it's escape! :thumbsup:

It wouldn't be in that situation if not for its sister ship _Blue Falcon_.... >;)

Kentop
11-01-2014, 16:37
If you're still in need of ships log and ship cards for your pirate fleet. I can make them for you. I'm a photoshop guy and you can see my work and blank templates over at the posting, "worlds smallest plastic ships?" Just tell me what you want on the cards and I will create the art for you.

Nightmoss
11-02-2014, 10:59
Thanks for the offer Ken. I'll have to go back and look at what's been done for the pirate fleet. We've had some nice contributions by other members as well.

Kentop
11-02-2014, 13:58
Anytime you or anyone (even Gunner!) needs artwork, don't hesitate to contact me. As always, my services are free to anchorage members.

Coog
11-02-2014, 23:01
Anytime you or anyone (even Gunner!) needs artwork, don't hesitate to contact me. As always, my services are free to anchorage members.

I just started on my American Squadron consisting of USS Maryland, USS Boston, USS Essex, and USS Congress. I am just doing some partial repainting to make the Ares ship models listed in "The United States Navy 1797" thread look more like the American ships. Jim (Nightmoss) has already done ship cards for the 38s but I could use cards and logs for the rest using the same data as on the cards and logs for the Ares models.