PDA

View Full Version : Kickstarter Exclusive cards in trhe game ... what do they do and how are they used?

AlyssaFaden
01-14-2014, 11:31
So I admit, I backed at the captain level, but did not really pay attention to the KS or participate in any of the discussions. When I got my Kickstarter package last month there were cards in there for enhancing crews, captains etc ... but they're not mentioned anywhere. The rules do not reference them and there's no clue to how they should be used. I scanned the KS and did not see any rules for them. Does anyone have any idea what they are used for and how?

BSG_Fan
01-14-2014, 11:45
I don't think that they are exclusive to Kickstarter; my understanding is that they'll be released for retail later, and there will be rules posted online for them. But until then, this is what someone from Ares said on BoardGame Geek:

C&C cards will have point values assigned in the point-based balancing system.

Until then, you may assign them by any number of semi-random system, e.g.

1) draw one for each ship + one more randomly, Discard the one you don't like, assign the others

2) draw 10 random cards, show them, then draft one of each, alternating between players

I would not recommend more than one ability per ship (or two if you familiar with the system)

AlyssaFaden
01-14-2014, 11:47
Thank you, thank you! Got it. I like it.

Shoot@Me
01-14-2014, 11:55
Captain and crew ability deck. You can, if you'd like, attach as many to a ship as you would like provided their text doesn't say otherwise. That of course seems excessive... Their rules of use are stated on the cards.

Edit: And I got ninja'd due to a lagging iPad and wireless connection.

GrouperKicker
01-14-2014, 12:14
Seems like they could also be used as crew/captain experience rewards if you were running an ongoing campaign. (i.e Once you reach X experience/award points, you can randomly draw a crew or captain experience card and apply it to your ship.)

Cool Breeze
01-14-2014, 12:19
My plan was very similar to Scott's idea...

Use them in league play until official rules come out. Each surviving winning ship draws a card each game it remains uncaptured. Once a ship is captured or goes down in a game, she loses her cards and starts over.

AlyssaFaden
01-14-2014, 12:20
I like that idea quite a bit. Jack and I (my boyfriend) have tended to keep surviving ships and use them in the next battle, but making it more formal and recording victories per ship or an XP system and then rewarding cards based on that sounds very intriguing.

DeRuyter
01-14-2014, 13:26
You can also use them in historical scenarios to reflect a veteran crew or excellent captain against an average ship (Shannon v Chesapeake, etc).

7eat51
01-14-2014, 20:08
We are using Ace skills in a WoG campaign on the 'Drome. We get to choose which skill we gain; that makes it a bit more exciting when shooting down a fifth plane - you work for something you want and are able to customize your pilot according to your desire. I prefer this over a random system if the enhancement cards are the result of actual game play accomplishments, and not simply something picked to spice up a given session.

Shoot@Me
01-15-2014, 07:20
What about making a list that would dictate the type of upgrade card based on a certain circumstance of a campaign? It would make sense if it was reflective of the upgrade. Say, if a ship survives a battle with only one slot in the crew track, the ship can get either the Hold Fast or charismatic Captain card when it "ranks up." I am not sure if this next thought will work, as I haven't had the chance to play yet. If there is a particular instance where one player seems to have picked the *perfect* maneuver in response to an enemy, they can qualify for the Intuitive Captain card.

AlyssaFaden
01-15-2014, 11:43
Interesting ideas for sure.

We're considering - not yet implemented - adding Experience per ship and experience would be earned for taking other ships out and general damage caused. Perhaps crew losses could even lower experience, who knows.

At certain ranked levels the ship can pull these cards (maximum of 2-3?), but to take any admiral card the ship has to be designated as a flagship (the optional rule).

We're also thinking of restricting certain advanced rules (doubleshot, first salvo, dry firing, etc) to experience levels as well, so at the 1st level you unlock "first salvo," next level you get one of these cards, third level you unlock "dry firing," etc. That could give a ship 6 or so upgrade opportunities. (obviously these are random thoughts at this point).

Also considering for veteran ships the ability to select one maneuver card ahead vs. 2. Still undecided on this.

Lastly the definition of a ship being destroyed may have to get tweaked a little as right now they tend to sink a tad too easily. So if a ship is taken out of a game it won't be available for the next game as it undergoes repairs.

Diamondback
01-15-2014, 21:30
I bought enough as add-ons to fully load every ship in Wave 1 and Wave 2 with one of every card. Need to check if that was under single-side or double-side numbers...

Crap. I had nine decks, at four copies of each card per deck, so that's only 36. Wave 1 double-tapped, Victory, Constitution and two spares. Need to order a metric buttload more of 'em for Wave 2... :(

Oh, just had another thought... maybe their point cost should be adjusted by the point cost of the ship you're assigning 'em to. Some cards would obviously be of disproportionate benefit to a First Rate, others to a smaller ship... anything with a Damage Repair bonus should obviously be worth more on a smaller ship that has less hits to take before being knocked out, while gunnery boosts should cost much more for a First Rate. (Then again, since I've been seeing stats for Third Rate variants armed to throw as much lead by weight as a 100-gunner... O.O )

7eat51
01-15-2014, 21:59
What about making a list that would dictate the type of upgrade card based on a certain circumstance of a campaign? It would make sense if it was reflective of the upgrade. Say, if a ship survives a battle with only one slot in the crew track, the ship can get either the Hold Fast or charismatic Captain card when it "ranks up." I am not sure if this next thought will work, as I haven't had the chance to play yet. If there is a particular instance where one player seems to have picked the *perfect* maneuver in response to an enemy, they can qualify for the Intuitive Captain card.

As to your first idea, I think it has promise. I have been thinking about a similar schema in the Pathfinder games I am running. I will take your suggestion, at least, as confirmation that I am not totally out-to-lunch. As for your second idea, you will need the right types of players around the table.

SeaRoyal20
01-19-2014, 12:59
Seems like they could also be used as crew/captain experience rewards if you were running an ongoing campaign. (i.e Once you reach X experience/award points, you can randomly draw a crew or captain experience card and apply it to your ship.)

I like the idea of rewarding good Captains that live to fight another day.

BSG_Fan
01-21-2014, 05:42
Ares posted a link to the text-only version of these cards:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4427040/Sails%20of%20Glory%20Crew%20%26%20Captain%20Ability%20Deck%20Rules.doc

Diamondback
01-21-2014, 17:46
Andrew, that's actually just the rules for them, not the cards and their effects.

BSG_Fan
01-22-2014, 01:31
Andrew, that's actually just the rules for them, not the cards and their effects.

Yes, that's what I meant to say. Thanks for the correction.