01-15-2014, 16:39
Count me out got it today.

Holofernes
01-16-2014, 15:44
I'm out - got my KS Exclusives today and decided to bust them out for a rumble;

Nightmoss
01-16-2014, 15:48
I'm out - got my KS Exclusives today and decided to bust them out for a rumble;

Great photo! How can you not love these ships!?! Nice effect with the gun powder clouds too!

Andy Blozinski
01-16-2014, 17:47
UPS has my package arriving tomorrow when I'll be out of town. For whining purposes, do I get to count it as Monday...or do I have to go by the date it arrived?

The Anchorage medal for last should have a small graphic of a bottle and a block of cheese.

Holofernes
01-16-2014, 22:16
The Anchorage medal for last should have a small graphic of a bottle and a block of cheese.

Lol!:clap:

Berthier
01-19-2014, 18:46
I'm out of the running, the fleet sailed into port this morning and a quick glance through at work showed everything seemed to be there except boxes for the sea mats. Very pleased to "finally" have some product to view so I know what i'll be doing tonight :happy::thumbsup:

Nightmoss
01-19-2014, 19:02
Congrats, Daniel! Enjoy your ships! :thumbsup:

SeaRoyal20
01-19-2014, 19:03
Those boxes are fun!! All KS boxes are but the two I had the most fun opening and fingering were this one and Rivet Wars.

Andy Blozinski
01-19-2014, 20:04
I'm out of the running, the fleet sailed into port this morning and a quick glance through at work showed everything seemed to be there except boxes for the sea mats. Very pleased to "finally" have some product to view so I know what i'll be doing tonight :happy::thumbsup:

UPS delivered to you on Sunday?

Andy Blozinski
01-19-2014, 20:05
I just got back in town and got to open mine tonight. It arrived on Friday when I was gone.

Berthier
01-19-2014, 20:50
Andy it's Monday in Australia :shock:

Andy Blozinski
01-19-2014, 21:18
Andy it's Monday in Australia :shock:
Not only are you guys on the wrong day, but you drive on the wrong side of the road too. What's next, are you guys going to do something REALLY weird, like fold up your hat on one side?

longagoigo
01-19-2014, 21:19
UPS delivered to you on Sunday?
Last week, Japan Post delivered mine to me at 9am Sunday morning.
These things do happen!

7eat51
01-19-2014, 22:10
Congrats Daniel and Andy. Impressions?

Andy Blozinski
01-19-2014, 22:14

Stuff looks pretty good. I like how the ship stats inserts come in three sections that hook together. I'm going to need to get a divider box for the tan counters. The sails don't look as excessively white as people's photos are making them out to be. I think a wash will still help, though. Now I get to learn how to do a wash. The packing nuts they used really like to stick to the mats.

7eat51
01-19-2014, 22:20
Stuff looks pretty good. I like how the ship stats inserts come in three sections that hook together. I'm going to need to get a divider box for the tan counters. The sails don't look as excessively white as people's photos are making them out to be. I think a wash will still help, though. Now I get to learn how to do a wash. The packing nuts they used really like to stick to the mats.

I, too, like the three section ship log. It makes them easy to keep with the ships.

I think the wash and painting the masts/spars are great returns on investment of time and money. From the photos others have posted, such efforts have a sizable payoff in enhancing the ships' looks.

Berthier
01-20-2014, 03:15
What's next, are you guys going to do something REALLY weird, like fold up your hat on one side?

We do that so we only have to half listen to what the rest of the world says :wink:

Berthier
01-20-2014, 04:42

Eric
Very early impressions- really well packaged both visually and practically. The extra shoals, coasts and gun batteries are far better than I was expecting and are thoughtfully designed with the reverse side of each card being the mirror orientation of the front. These items would work very well with any naval game eg Ironclads, War at Sea, Flying Colors etc. Smoke markers are great, timber rulers - I got two included, one stained and one not, either way they need some dressing up with colour which should be easy. The starter pack is an impressive package and all the pieces speak of quality and thoughtfullness, maybe the long delay was well spent!

The ships are better looking than I was expecting, the ship cards flimsier than I was expecting, the bases are nice but I'm still not sure (!), the plastic tops hard to remove but fine. I dont like the ship mounting system of the round peg into the base, double pin or square or triangle may have worked better. Ships need very little work to make them impressive, just sail wash, spar and mast paint and maybe rigging and ratlines.All these add ons, except the rigging would be quick to do and not difficult.

I'm pondering how to make each pair of models different enough to use easily on the table, I'm waiting for the likes of Vol, Rory, Jim and others to lead me with ideas on this :wink:

Rulebook is very professionally done, much better than my "crap" PDF print out I did from Ares site all those months ago.

I'm ambivalent about the maps. The colour is beautiful but I think they missed an opportunity to do shoreline, shoals etc on the map by shading differences but they wanted separate pieces for this which I understand. Strangely I am already thinking of buying hexagonal maps and using the ships for other naval games (I havent even played SOG yet...what a tragic).

I received some Ogre terrain pieces recently and some of the water ones, logs in the water etc may work well with this game to add some variety to situations.

Final comment is I can see storage is going to be problematic with large amounts of space being needed whatever is used. Another work in progress!

Coog
01-20-2014, 05:25
As I posted on another thread, I received mine Saturday. I'm pleased with the quality of everything. I think there are a variety of ways to shore up the ship cards. As someone else posted, I am going to use a little tacking putty to help hold the ships in place on the bases. When playing Car Wars using Hot Wheels cars, we used it to hold the cars to matte board bases and it worked great. I do like the mats without terrain. The games pieces for shorelines looks good but I want to eventually have some 3D terrain. In all I am satisfied with what I received. The only thing now is the wait for more types of ship models!

Hobbes
01-20-2014, 10:10
It seems, it might be me who will get his stuff last (or among the last).

My tracking information says it is currently sitting in Frankfurt Germany and awaits treatment in the sorting facility. Other german members either do have their stuff or they do have a notice from customs to come and collect it.

I don't know which deity i upset, but it seems to have its vengeance on me with SoG.

Sverre
01-20-2014, 17:39
I got mine today (Sweden)
Great quality, especially as far as the ships are concerned. They need very little additional work IMHO.

But the game! Oh my! We just played a first scenario with four players, and were all blown away. This is a very, very good game.
I'm a happy bunny, but SWMBO may be less thrilled... Oh, well! I'll just have to get her into the game :)

Andy Blozinski
01-20-2014, 20:42
As I posted on another thread, I received mine Saturday. I'm pleased with the quality of everything. I think there are a variety of ways to shore up the ship cards. As someone else posted, I am going to use a little tacking putty to help hold the ships in place on the bases. When playing Car Wars using Hot Wheels cars, we used it to hold the cars to matte board bases and it worked great. I do like the mats without terrain. The games pieces for shorelines looks good but I want to eventually have some 3D terrain. In all I am satisfied with what I received. The only thing now is the wait for more types of ship models!

Well...at least I got beat by a Texan at the prize for being last in the US.

Coog
01-20-2014, 20:52
Well...at least I got beat by a Texan at the prize for being last in the US.

Although I received mine Saturday and checked for damage and missing items, I still haven't had a chance to break it all out and take a close look at everything (I went to the movies this evening and watched "Lone Survivor").

7eat51
01-20-2014, 20:59
Daniel, nice review. I know what you mean about the maps. The color is beautiful - very rich - but I thought, "Something seems to be missing." I think that was, in part, being used to WoG maps, and, in part, being used to naval map boards having pronounced different shades. I wonder how it will be once I use the coast/battery tiles. I think Ares did well, and I highly support their decision, with keeping them all water - much higher replayability and customizability. I think one I start playing the game, any initial missing-of-something-more will probably fade away.

Bobby, I, too, will look for 3-D terrain. After seeing Rory's harbor, I don't think anything else would ever fully do. The nice thing about the Ares items is ease of transportation and storage. They are much nicer than I expected. I am really looking forward to trying out the batteries.

Sverre, best wishes in recruiting your Mrs. Since we haven't had the opportunity to welcome you before - Welcome aboard.

7eat51
01-20-2014, 21:00
I went to the movies this evening and watched "Lone Survivor".

How was it?

Coog
01-20-2014, 21:15
How was it?

It was a good movie and worth seeing. A bit of fiction put into the movie, particularly a battle at the end of the movie which didn't occur. The firefight on the mountain was probably the best I've seen capturing the feel of a firefight.

Andy Blozinski
01-20-2014, 21:22
If those maps had unchangeable land terrain that I was forced to ignore every game, I would not have bought them. Simple as that. When I want land, I can put it on the map.

7eat51
01-20-2014, 21:38
It was a good movie and worth seeing. A bit of fiction put into the movie, particularly a battle at the end of the movie which didn't occur. The firefight on the mountain was probably the best I've seen capturing the feel of a firefight.

Thanks, Bobby. I think we'll see this one.

I remember sitting in the theater somewhat overwhelmed with the first 20 minutes or so of Saving Private Ryan. It is hard to imagine that regardless of what we experience in a movie, the folks who went through the actual event experienced something far more intense. I do stand in awe of folks who conduct themselves so professionally in such situations - highly admirable.

DeRuyter
01-23-2014, 09:08
Thanks, Bobby. I think we'll see this one.

I remember sitting in the theater somewhat overwhelmed with the first 20 minutes or so of Saving Private Ryan. It is hard to imagine that regardless of what we experience in a movie, the folks who went through the actual event experienced something far more intense. I do stand in awe of folks who conduct themselves so professionally in such situations - highly admirable.

Amen! :salute:

There is a video on You Tube (sorry can't access at work for link) of Mark Wahlberg going on a great rant about combat experience after some Hollywood type made an idiotic comment about it. Every other word started with an F! Go Mark - I'll be seeing this movie soon!

Eric

DeRuyter
01-23-2014, 09:11
Oh and I am still in line to be the last KS supporter to receive his package. I never got tracking numbers and e-mailed Ares yesterday about it. Disheartening to find out all packages (allegedly) shipped 1/13 and 10 days later still nothing!

Andy Blozinski
01-24-2014, 19:52
Oh and I am still in line to be the last KS supporter to receive his package. I never got tracking numbers and e-mailed Ares yesterday about it. Disheartening to find out all packages (allegedly) shipped 1/13 and 10 days later still nothing!
Oh dang...got beat by a yankee!

DeRuyter
01-25-2014, 12:26
Oh dang...got beat by a yankee!

No celebrating here. Got an ominous response from Roberto to my status e-mail that he was waiting for a response from the warehouse on my tracking numbers. While I am sure Ares will step up if my package went AWOL, this doesn't inspire confidence in the warehouse. :bleh:

Andy Blozinski
01-25-2014, 22:38
No celebrating here. Got an ominous response from Roberto to my status e-mail that he was waiting for a response from the warehouse on my tracking numbers. While I am sure Ares will step up if my package went AWOL, this doesn't inspire confidence in the warehouse. :bleh:
I've been doing purchasing shop supplies for years. Here's a scenario I've had repeated:
Andy: Where's my stuff?
Vendor rep: The system says it shipped (or...it got invoiced, therefore that means it shipped).
Andy: Great, what's the tracking number?
Vendor rep: I can't seem to find that information in our system. Let me get back to you with that.
Andy calls back after waiting for them to call him: Soooo, how about that tracking number?
Vendor rep: It looks like your shipment will leave next Wednesday.

Пилот
01-26-2014, 01:10
It seems, it might be me who will get his stuff last (or among the last).

My tracking information says it is currently sitting in Frankfurt Germany and awaits treatment in the sorting facility. Other german members either do have their stuff or they do have a notice from customs to come and collect it.

I don't know which deity i upset, but it seems to have its vengeance on me with SoG.
It must be Poseydon or Hermes, my friend...

Tradewinds Ted
01-27-2014, 16:09
I'm still in the running for last.
I do have a tracking number but it shows my shipment sitting in customs for since morning of 21 January, and I have been unable to get any further update so far. :sad:

Edit as of 4 Feb: Getting closer - Contacted ParcelForce, and then UK customs, faxed them information and have now received and paid an invoice from ParcelForce. So delivery should be soon!

Edit as of 5 Feb: It is here at last! I think this means I'm not quite last, although I hope for anyone still waiting that I was close.
I still need to check that everything is in there - it looks like maybe I'm missing a terrain pack and some smoke markers, but the ships look great, though most are still in boxes.

Final edit: Found the missing bits in the packaging - So Everything is here! :clap:

Пилот
01-28-2014, 04:34
Customs is my greatest fear when I order something...

csadn
01-28-2014, 14:51
Customs is my greatest fear when I order something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCPRfA6W00k

:)

Пилот
01-30-2014, 09:50
I remember that one :happy: