PDA

View Full Version : Sorting these components...

Shoot@Me
01-13-2014, 16:14
Hello fellow sailors!

So I have been punching out all my components today, just from the base set. With extras coming, including an extra counter set, the extra mats that I hope are with my Kickstarter ships, and a coasts and shoals pack, there are a lot of pieces.

That said, my question to you is this: how will you be sorting it all?

I realize my quantity of items is less than many of you have/are getting/will get, so advice is appreciated. I have one of each of the five damage counter bags coming, although my FLGS *gave* me a set of the five as well. I was planning on giving them back so they can be given to other customers since I'll have some. Other than those, I have ziplock baggies available to me now.

Thanks all, :salute:

Naharaht
01-13-2014, 23:12
Lots of small bags sound like a good idea.

Andy Blozinski
01-14-2014, 06:47
Based on Keith's suggestion to use small boxes for players to put unused movement cards in during the game so their cards don't get scattered all over the table, I bought some small boxes. I figure I'll use them for card and counter storage between games. I can have everything for one ship in the box, except the mat, obviously.

DeRuyter
01-14-2014, 13:39
I would recommend googling X-Wing storage solutions for the tokens and cards. Several styles of Plano tackle boxes would work well for the tokens, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-23500-00-Stowaway-Adjustable-Dividers/dp/B000E39T4Q/ref=pd_sim_sg_39

Pseudotheist
01-14-2014, 18:31
I definitely recommend keeping your ship tokens in individual sets; I'd hate to think how much time would be wasted pulling out a ful set of tokens from a communal bag.

Diamondback
01-14-2014, 18:40
Agreed, Todd--my ideal would extend that to having a separate set of damage chits for each player too, but that might be cost-prohibitive.

Gunner
01-14-2014, 20:39
I use these, two trays hold all the SGN chits.8245

Available from, http://www.boardsandbits.com/product_info.php?products_id=19464

The Royal Hajj
01-15-2014, 07:15
Driving home from work yesterday I came up with the idea of a laser cut wooden box that would hold the ship log, maneuver deck and ships' chits. On the outside of the box I could engrave the picture of the ship and it's name, or something along those lines. I think they would look really nice and fit the theme well.

jasperrdm
01-15-2014, 07:25
You could hit the jewelry supply stores for 1.5 by 3, and 4 by 3 inch bags. I found my jewelry bags last night. Once I resorted and got rid of the snack size baggies everything fit in the box. Oh I got the mate level. And please use a separate baggie for each ship.

Nightmoss
01-15-2014, 09:38
Driving home from work yesterday I came up with the idea of a laser cut wooden box that would hold the ship log, maneuver deck and ships' chits. On the outside of the box I could engrave the picture of the ship and it's name, or something along those lines. I think they would look really nice and fit the theme well.

Sounds like a great idea. If these were stackable and/or allowed space for actual ship storage it would be a great way to carry them to events/sessions. I know you've mentioned you want to go with vertical ship storage so that's probably not going to work with these boxes.

The Royal Hajj
01-15-2014, 09:58
Sounds like a great idea. If these were stackable and/or allowed space for actual ship storage it would be a great way to carry them to events/sessions. I know you've mentioned you want to go with vertical ship storage so that's probably not going to work with these boxes.

I don't see any way to protect the ships from the other components that would be in these boxes as well. Not with out making them really large and over expensive.

If the right sized boxes could be found, we could do something like my Display Hangars for Wings:

The ship component box I was talking about would not have the clear box over it, which removes the most expensive part of the product.

Nightmoss
01-15-2014, 10:23
I understand what you're saying. I really like those display hangars for WoG by the way! I can't recall seeing them before. :thumbsup:

The Royal Hajj
01-15-2014, 10:45
I offered them on the AA site for a while. They did not sell well (due to the price, I believe). I sold them pre-assembled and there was a lot of work involved in that. If I do the ship boxes, I'd sell those assembled to reduce the costs. They are super easy to assemble, just take a while when you have to do a bunch of them for multiple people!

DeRuyter
01-15-2014, 11:02
I offered them on the AA site for a while. They did not sell well (due to the price, I believe). I sold them pre-assembled and there was a lot of work involved in that. If I do the ship boxes, I'd sell those assembled to reduce the costs. They are super easy to assemble, just take a while when you have to do a bunch of them for multiple people!

That is what put me off them, although if I rigged and custom painted my WGF aircraft, I would have used the hangers for those. There are certainly enough companies out there doing laser cut models, "4 Ground" buildings come to mind. I have found that assembly on those is easy. I'd buy ship boxes unassembled to save on cost for sure.

Eric

Shoot@Me
01-15-2014, 14:53
All wonderful suggestion, thank you!

@ Keith: the concept for wooden counter storage for each ship is wonderful. I agree with Nightmoss/Jim that stackable would be great, although I understand the size for including ship storage is quite large.

@ Eric: I had just happened to be looking at some Plano tackle kits like you linked. Another option that is very similar are storage/organizer kits for jewelry and craft items.

@ Ed: I did come across similar trays and thought they would be suitable. Thanks.

@ Roger: thanks for the baggy idea. I'm planning a trip to a craft shop to look for the aforementioned bead/craft organizers, so I'll compare the options.

Arakus
07-20-2014, 07:10
If I do the ship boxes, I'd sell those assembled to reduce the costs. They are super easy to assemble, just take a while when you have to do a bunch of them for multiple people!

Pls do it, i love these boxes and will sleep much better when my ships are in a safe place! :happy:

Ducky
07-20-2014, 09:13
Really like the boxes and the idea!

Nightmoss
07-20-2014, 09:14
Agreed!!! So, where in the many multiple products queue is this one, Keith? :sly:

Jack Aubrey
07-20-2014, 12:28
Pls do it, i love these boxes and will sleep much better when my ships are in a safe place! :happy:

welcome Jörg, willkommen :salute:

Arakus
07-20-2014, 12:41
welcome Jörg, willkommen :salute:

Thanks, danke!

Nightmoss
07-20-2014, 12:42

Greetings Jorg! Welcome to the Anchorage! :hatsoff:

Gunner
07-20-2014, 13:09
Welcome:beer:from Arizona, Jörg.
If you want, stop in the Thread Starter at http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay.php?5-Welcome-Aboard and introduce yourself.

ChyronDave
07-21-2014, 00:09
I use a variety of methods for ship storage.

For the ships themselves, I use pluck foam from my FLGS, which I keep in storage boxes I picked up at the local craft shop. The damage chits are kept in their respective bags. I also use the trays Gunner mentioned above. I have one for the special damage markers, and one for the ship markers (with room for expansion).

The big difference I do is I use tuck boxes to hold the ship logs, info cards and maneuver decks. These boxes were designed on a template generator website and the artwork is added after in Paint Shop Pro. Each box is also titled with the ship names to make it easier to tell them apart.