PDA

View Full Version : Pravateers?

VonHinnebusch
12-14-2011, 15:25
Forgive my ignorance, is there a list of ships that were captured and put into service as privateers or used by pirates anywhere?

csadn
12-14-2011, 18:19
Forgive my ignorance, is there a list of ships that were captured and put into service as privateers or used by pirates anywhere?

I doubt it. Most privateers in the period the game covers (Napoleonic Wars) were small ships --- schooners, sloops, and such -- rather than the big SoLs. Ships cost money to operate; and the more crew, guns, and such, the more expensive it becomes, and thus the harder to turn a profit. More, the big ships tended to be slow and unwieldy; pirates and privateers preferred faster, nimble units so they could run and hide from The Man. (Someone like Bartholomew Roberts having a frigate-sized ship was unusual, and thus noteworthy.) I expect you'll have to read up on privateers in order to get ship details; I can recommend _George Washington's Secret Navy_, and _Patriot Pirates_ to start with.

David Manley
12-14-2011, 20:23
You could probably get a fair idea of French and US privateer operations (or at least their encounters with the RN) from a good read of James' "The Naval History of Great Britain From 1793 To 1820", although with six volumes to wade through it wouldn't be easy (it would be a cracking good read!). The Naval Chronicle would be another good reference - IIRC Chatham published an edition in a multi-volume paperback a few years back.

That said, privateers tended to be smaller, faster types designed of converted for the purpose, whereas their intended targets (being pure merchant types) tended to be unsuited for privateering operations without what would likely be some extensive modifications. It was far more likely for a captured merchantman to be sold off or condemned once she had been taken to a friendly port and her cargo offloaded

VonHinnebusch
12-15-2011, 10:32
So no really big pirate vessels hu? Why did I think there were?! LOL. I think I need to get some remedial learnin in, Goldenbooks here I come. I'll gratuate the the encyclopedic tellings someday. :)

Thanks for the information guys!

David Manley
12-15-2011, 12:47
Every day's a school day :)
(our office motto!)

VonHinnebusch
12-15-2011, 15:15
Every day's a school day :)
(our office motto!)
You work at a school, don't you? ;)

Skal!
Andrew

David Manley
12-15-2011, 15:31
Guess again D

VonHinnebusch
12-15-2011, 15:36
You are an airman in the RAF! ;)

Due to this thread, I've added last minute gift ideas to my list for Christmas! :D

csadn
12-15-2011, 16:06
So no really big pirate vessels hu? Why did I think there were?!

There were -- but they were very rare. Bartholomew Roberts's largest ships carried 26 guns; Blackbeard had a 40-gun ship at one point. However, as noted earlier, these ships were expensive (large crews, and everything that entails) and not much better sailers than the merchies which made up a pirate's prey. The preference was for smaller, faster, more-nimble units; if one couldn't outgun a foe, one outran it. :)

David Manley
12-15-2011, 22:23
You are an airman in the RAF!

Hell's teeth, no!

Berthier
12-16-2011, 02:21
Andrew
Here's a clue, check out David's profile.