PDA

View Full Version : Wind strength: problem with the rules, the components, or me?

Pseudotheist
01-10-2014, 20:12
Change of Strength
At the beginning of the Planning phase of each turn, draw one strength change counter. The wind strength changes only after the wind increases (or decreases) its strength twice in the same way. Look at the strength change counter drawn:
— The first time that the counter indicates a wind strength change, place it on the wind gauge. The strength of the wind does not change yet, but might change in the future.
— If the counter does not show any symbol, the wind remains the same. Reshuffle the counter with the unused strength change counters. If there is a strength change counter on the wind gauge from a previous turn, that counter stays there.
— If a counter that indicates a wind strength change is drawn, while another counter is already on the wind gauge, compare the two counters:
a) If the two counters indicate the same change (either an increase or a decrease), the wind changes. If the strength decreases, move the wind strength counter on the gauge one step to the left (from medium to low, or from high to medium; if the wind is already at low strength, the strength does not change). If the strength increases, move the wind strength counter on the gauge one step to the right (from low to medium, or from medium to high; if the wind is already at high strength, the strength does not change).
b) If the two counters indicate opposite changes, the wind does not change. In either case, reshuffl e both counters with the unused strength change counters. If the strength of the wind changes, it influences the movement of the ships immediately, with the Movement phase of the current turn.

http://www.sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8183&d=1389409813

Anyone else see a problem?

The Mad Hatter
01-10-2014, 20:50
I don't have my game yet, are those the counters?

If so....how does one get two of the same + or - if there's only one of each?

Barks
01-10-2014, 21:34
The printed rulebook (v1.01) has different rules.

If you draw a '+' or '-', leave it on the gauge. The next turn, if you draw a '.', the wind changes. If you draw the opposite symbol to the one on the gauge, nothing happens, and the counters are returned to the pool.
If you draw a '.' and there was nothing on the gauge, the wind doesn't change, and return the counter to the pool.

So, if you draw a wind strength change counter, there's a 75% chance of the wind changing strength next turn, and a 25% chance it will stay the same. Experienced captains are watching the water for approaching squalls and calms.

I hope that made sense.

7eat51
01-10-2014, 23:57
Is the problem that a wind strength change occurrence, in general, seems to high, or that there is not enough lead time, or both?

Do you think the probability should be lower using the current mechanism, or that a three-turn wind strength change, for example, should be introduced, giving captains a bit more info on possible wind changes? In the latter case, if a wind strength change is drawn, the next two turns require the dot chit for the wind to actually change, lowering the probability of it occurring as well.

DeRuyter
01-11-2014, 15:31
It really depends on the prevailing winds in a given area or if a front is passing through. Secondly how much wind change are the rules simulating? I think this is something that can be scenario driven as well. Winds can be fluky so you can certainly have dramatic wind shifts over the course of a game, a gale blowing in or wind dying away only to pick up again from a different direction. A lot depends on whether you are close to land masses rather than in the open ocean as well.

Pseudotheist
01-11-2014, 18:40
It would've taken me quite some time to figure this out. Thanks!

Пилот
02-01-2014, 14:52

If you draw a '+' or '-', leave it on the gauge. The next turn, if you draw a '.', the wind changes. If you draw the opposite symbol to the one on the gauge, nothing happens, and the counters are returned to the pool.
If you draw a '.' and there was nothing on the gauge, the wind doesn't change, and return the counter to the pool.
If I understood well,

When plus (+) is on gauge, and you draw a plus (+), wind changes.
When plus (+) is on gauge, and you draw blank ( . ), wind changes.
When minus (-) is on gauge, and you draw a minus (-), wind changes.
When minus (-) is on gauge, and you draw a blank ( . ), wind changes.

When plus (+) is on gauge, and you draw a minus (-), wind doesn't change.
When minus (-) is on gauge, and you draw a plus (+), wind doesn't change.

Am I right?

Barks
02-01-2014, 14:58
Am I right?

You're on the right track, but if you look at the component picture in the first post you'll see there is only one of each +/ - symbol. You can't get ++ or --.

Thus:

+, . change
+, - no change
-, . change
-, + change

Пилот
02-01-2014, 15:42
Hmmm... We didn't played with changing wind yet, and I didn't inspect wind counters closely :embarass:

Thanks a lot!