PDA

View Full Version : Black Sails on the Horizon!

Cpt Kangaroo
01-09-2014, 08:19
There is a new series coming out on Starz called Black Sails.

It looks like it might be a good one!

http://www.pirates-wanted.com/?gclid=CPHF5IGx8bsCFYZi7AodFkAAXA

Bellerophon
01-09-2014, 09:03
Apparently they built full-scale ships for this, so here's hoping it's good!

Moideeb
01-09-2014, 09:15
That looks really good, I've been waiting for something naval to come out on tv or at the cinema again. Its been a long time since Hornblower and Master and Commander, I can't say i was terribly impressed with pirates of the Caribbean. I will look forward to seeing how this turns out, hopefully Starz will make a good job of this, I've not heard of the network before, so don't really know what to expect of them.

DeRuyter
01-09-2014, 09:28
That looks really good, I've been waiting for something naval to come out on tv or at the cinema again. Its been a long time since Hornblower and Master and Commander, I can't say i was terribly impressed with pirates of the Caribbean. I will look forward to seeing how this turns out, hopefully Starz will make a good job of this, I've not heard of the network before, so don't really know what to expect of them.

Starz network is responsible for the "Spartacus" series. So you are likely to see lots of slow motion blood flying through the air and leaping pirates slashing with cutlasses in boarding actions.:swordleft: Oh and scantily clad wenches in various compromising positions (not saying this part is bad or anything......). :wink:

Cpt Kangaroo
01-09-2014, 09:39
I have been watching the Starz series "The White Queen" about Elizabeth I and King Edward. Very well done, I think there is real potential here.

And by the way, I watch it on line from their web site. I am not sure you can subscribe direct though, as I pay for mine through the cable company.

DeRuyter
01-09-2014, 09:39
There is a new series coming out on Starz called Black Sails.

It looks like it might be a good one!

http://www.pirates-wanted.com/?gclid=CPHF5IGx8bsCFYZi7AodFkAAXA

I hope you are right. I do notice that this ship is "motoring" along pretty well for the seeming lack of wind! Notice the lack of draw in the sails compared to the wake alluding to a much higher speed. I think motoring is a key word here! As a sailor I have to be skeptical here! :hmmm:

After looking at the show site my earlier comment seems on point - Spartacus at sea! (could still be entertaining though!)

Moideeb
01-09-2014, 09:41
Starz network is responsible for the "Spartacus" series. So you are likely to see lots of slow motion blood flying through the air and leaping pirates slashing with cutlasses in boarding actions.:swordleft: Oh and scantily clad wenches in various compromising positions (not saying this part is bad or anything......). :wink:

Interesting, i do remember both Hornblower and Master and Commander, being a little short scantily clad wenches. I will definitely look forward to this, of course the scantily clad ladies won't come into this. :wink:

DeRuyter
01-09-2014, 09:42
I have been watching the Starz series "The White Queen" about Elizabeth I and King Edward. Very well done, I think there is real potential here.

And by the way, I watch it on line from their web site. I am not sure you can subscribe direct though, as I pay for mine through the cable company.

You are correct a Starz subscription is necessary. Sometimes they show the premiere for free. I watched the first season of Spartacus through Netflix.

Eric

Moideeb
01-09-2014, 09:43

The white queen was from Starz? I thought that was really good. This does have some real potential then.

The Royal Hajj
01-09-2014, 10:06
Will have to keep a weather eye on this one.

Coog
01-09-2014, 11:00
You are correct a Starz subscription is necessary. Sometimes they show the premiere for free. I watched the first season of Spartacus through Netflix.

Eric

I hope to eventually see it through Encore. They are apparently affiliated with Starz as they advertise for them and show some of their shows after the shows have ran for a while on Starz.

Coog
01-09-2014, 11:10
Apparently they built full-scale ships for this, so here's hoping it's good!

With some full scale ships setting around, hopefully someone will get the idea to use them in another movie/series.

DeRuyter
01-09-2014, 11:35
I hope to eventually see it through Encore. They are apparently affiliated with Starz as they advertise for them and show some of their shows after the shows have ran for a while on Starz.

Nice I'll have to bookmarker that channel then.

SeaRoyal20
01-09-2014, 13:10
I saw the ads for this at a movie theater of all places. The ship looked impressive on a big screen!

7eat51
01-09-2014, 16:20
Intrigued. From the clips, it is hard to tell if it will be very good, or trite in terms of story.

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware of this.

csadn
01-09-2014, 17:01

At least it isn't HBO with _Game Of Weiners_ -- sorry, _Game of Thrones_.... >;)

Moideeb
01-09-2014, 17:06
At least it isn't HBO with _Game Of Weiners_ -- sorry, _Game of Thrones_.... >;)

I'd rather it was HBO, game of thrones is really good, so was band of brothers, the wire, etc. Not all the time but most of the time, when HBO do shows they do them really well.

DeRuyter
01-09-2014, 19:25

That version was on Comedy Central :wink:

DeRuyter
01-09-2014, 19:28
I'd rather it was HBO, game of thrones is really good, so was band of brothers, the wire, etc. Not all the time but most of the time, when HBO do shows they do them really well.

Band of Brothers IMHO the best television show ever made!! RIP Major Winters and lads. :salute:

7eat51
01-09-2014, 19:48
Band of Brothers was extraordinary for sure, both in production value and the stories of the characters. After every episode, I was encouraged to be a better man; even through a mini-series, Major Winters was inspiring.

When one thinks about how young they were when they did what they did, it is humbling.

csadn
01-10-2014, 16:18
That version was on Comedy Central :wink:

And far better done. ;)

(_BoB_ was OK; it did seem to be a bit long, tho'.)

The Mad Hatter
01-10-2014, 20:57
I for one am just happy there are more historical themed shows on - good or not (preferably good), I'll watch it!

Coog
01-11-2014, 15:54
Saw this showing on Encore and found it on YouTube. I didn't see it on the web page for the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1X-1OY4yqw

DeRuyter
01-11-2014, 16:21
After watching this video I am encouraged! Hmm premiers January 25 on Staz and January 18 on Machinima. Likely before I received my ships LOL!

Coog
01-11-2014, 16:38
After watching this video I am encouraged! Hmm premiers January 25 on Staz and January 18 on Machinima. Likely before I received my ships LOL!

Sounds like it is going to be quite grim and serious...no Pirates of the Caribbean stuff.

Nightmoss
01-11-2014, 16:44

It might be good, but I kept thinking while watching this inside look that this is "Game of Thrones" on the water?

csadn
01-12-2014, 14:07
It might be good, but I kept thinking while watching this inside look that this is "Game of Thrones" on the water?

If that's the case, expect to see The Good Ship _Venus_ shortly.... >;)

DeRuyter
01-13-2014, 10:54

You have a point there. Complete with a woman running the island with a trusted advisor (re : Daenerys and Jorah). Certainly some of the characters are easy on the eyes!

Shoot@Me
01-14-2014, 10:13
I think it's unfortunate I don't have Starz anymore...

Andy Blozinski
01-14-2014, 10:32
If you're running a production that's on a tight schedule and doesn't have an open budget and you schedule the cast, crew and ship to film a scene on Wednesday and the wind does not comply to make your sails fill and look 100% correct....you fire up the Evinrude concealed at the back of the boat and roll the cameras anyways.
You have to give them credit for caring to make the whole ship prop and encourage such behavior for future projects. I think Saving Private Ryan helped shift a lot of attitudes in Hollywood.

DeRuyter
01-14-2014, 11:20
If you're running a production that's on a tight schedule and doesn't have an open budget and you schedule the cast, crew and ship to film a scene on Wednesday and the wind does not comply to make your sails fill and look 100% correct....you fire up the Evinrude concealed at the back of the boat and roll the cameras anyways.
You have to give them credit for caring to make the whole ship prop and encourage such behavior for future projects. I think Saving Private Ryan helped shift a lot of attitudes in Hollywood.

True, that's what I found sailing on a tall ship. Schedules must be kept and often that means firing up the "iron sail"

Bellerophon
01-18-2014, 12:00
The first episode is online for FREE (Legally) if anyone wants to check it out. I thought it was quite good.

https://www.starz.com/videos/embed/371

Cmmdre
01-18-2014, 12:20
The first episode is online for FREE (Legally) if anyone wants to check it out. I thought it was quite good.

https://www.starz.com/videos/embed/371

Thanks for the link. Looks worth checking out for free. :thumbsup:

Coog
01-18-2014, 12:53
Thanks for the link. Looks worth checking out for free. :thumbsup:

+1:beer:

The Mad Hatter
01-18-2014, 17:32
I watched it, pretty good IMHO. Good introduction of the main characters (most likely more to come), and it definitely isn't your Pirates of the Caribbean type show! It'll be interesting to see where they go with it after the first 3-4 episodes.

Overall, I'll be adding this one to my weekly watch list!

Berthier
01-18-2014, 17:45
Looks interesting, though whether Foxtel in Australia pick it up, and if they do when, who knows. I expect they will as they have released White Queen, Spartacus and GOT here.

Cmmdre
01-24-2014, 22:37

Got to check the first episode of Black Sails out for free, thought Eric sums it up pretty good. Worth checking out. Look forward to see where and what the story wraps itself around.

Coog
01-26-2014, 09:10
Just saw where Black Sails is also showing on Encore. Part 1 will be on tonight.

Hobbes
01-29-2014, 00:48
So, has anybody seen the first episode by now and can comment on it. Me being across the pond will have to wait quite a bit until it will be show here (if ever).

DeRuyter
01-29-2014, 08:30
So, has anybody seen the first episode by now and can comment on it. Me being across the pond will have to wait quite a bit until it will be show here (if ever).

Yes I watched it online at Starz.com before the premier. It was as I noted above essentially Spartacus at sea. Actually it is focused on a pirate haven on an island in the Bahamas, you can't have a pirate series without a tavern and tavern wenches after all! Not saying that there's anything wrong with that and the show was entertaining. The first show is primarily setting up the main characters and their various relationships.

I won't say more, don't want to be a spoiler. However I will say there is a scene between two of the lead characters that is a very interesting, and might I say not hard to look at, plot twist. :shock: Say no more, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.....:wink:

Bellerophon
01-29-2014, 13:04
I don't think it necessarily has the over the top gore and action of Spartacus - the aesthetic is more realistic, methinks; people killed by splinters, not cannonballs, etc.

(Not that there was anything terribly wrong with Spartacus - I thought it did job of capturing, more than any other show, the way in which Romans spoke and formulated their sentences.)

Cpt Kangaroo
02-24-2014, 13:11
I just watched number 5 in the series.

I won't spoil the story line, but I was on the edge of my seat this time!

We are finally getting into the 'Nitty Gritty' of Pirating!

I am impressed with the presentation and the amount of care to the historical detail.

It is definitely of 'Saving Private Ryan' quality.

Also, number 4 gave one of the best examples of Careening a hull I have seen yet.

If you haven't been watching, I hope you are able to soon.

Cheers!

:cannonboom::takecover::cannon::beer:

Coog
02-24-2014, 13:34
The opener was shown on Encore, but no more after that. I guess they were trying to entice people to subscribe to the Starz sister company. However, once the series is complete I would think it will run on Encore.