PDA

View Full Version : Problem painting a SGN ship

Gunner
01-09-2014, 02:30
Has anyone had a problem using enamel paint on a SGN ship?
I just painted the mast and part of a ship using Humbrol enamel paint. I picked it up three hours later and it was still wet and tacky.
If you're going to try enamels, test it on the bottom of the ship first.
Looks like I'll have to switch to Vallejo acrylics.

The Royal Hajj
01-09-2014, 07:50
That's interesting. Sorry to hear about the troubles.

Nightmoss
01-09-2014, 09:07
Has anyone had a problem using enamel paint on a SGN ship?
I just painted the mast and part of a ship using Humbrol enamel paint. I picked it up three hours later and it was still wet and tacky.
If you're going to try enamels, test it on the bottom of the ship first.
Looks like I'll have to switch to Vallejo acrylics.

I've never had good luck with enamel paints? I switched to acrylics years ago and have never tried enamels since.

DeRuyter
01-09-2014, 09:14
I stopped using enamels years ago when I stopped building 1/35 scale Tamiya models. I used exclusively acrylics on both plastic and metal miniatures, well except for the spray primers and dips. I only just started using Vallejo, most of my paints are craft store acrylics which work fine for smaller stuff.

Moideeb
01-09-2014, 09:18
I have a both enamel and acrylic, I've started paining my first ship HMS Terpsichore with acrylic (rather less skilfully than Jim's), after reading this, i won't be using any of my enamel paints. I am tending to favour acrylics more anyway due to their much shorter drying times.

Nightmoss
01-09-2014, 09:23
I have a both enamel and acrylic, I've started paining my first ship HMS Terpsichore with acrylic (rather less skilfully than Jim's), after reading this, i won't be using any of my enamel paints. I am tending to favour acrylics more anyway due to their much shorter drying times.

Aye, Chris. Drying time and clean up are some of the best advantages of acrylics.

The Royal Hajj
01-09-2014, 10:08
Aye, Chris. Drying time and clean up are some of the best advantages of acrylics.

And no stink ;) I switched to acrylics back in the late '90s.

Diamondback
01-09-2014, 12:25
I used to swear up and down by enamels--now, since I tend to be a lot more "mobile" and most of my modeling time is in hotel rooms, I've switched to acrylics and never looked back--the only enamels I buy anymore are clearcoats, certain metallics and very specific colors from the Federal Standard 595 catalog I can't get in acrylic... like a certain unique shade of blue Grandpa's old squadron used for its identification markings, the only other known users of which are Germany and Israel.