PDA

View Full Version : MD & DC: Sails of Savage Mill (Maryland)

Pseudotheist
01-06-2014, 19:03
Received my kickstarter package today, and hopefully retail packages will go out soon, so I think it's time to start talking about a monthly Sails of Glory game at The Family Game store in Savage Mill, MD. Talking to the store manager, it seems Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights are fairly quiet and could accomodate an event. Talking with the home manager, Tuesday or Wednesday would be prefered. 6:00 to 9:00 is almost certainly the time slot. So, who's interested, and what nights work?

Blackjohn
01-07-2014, 07:03
Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays don't work for me.

DeRuyter
01-07-2014, 09:55
I 'd love to join but I am afraid that Savage Mill may be a bit too far for me to drive on a week night. Google maps tells me that the store is just off I-95 south of Baltimore. That's about 1-1/2 hrs for me barring traffic from DE. Do you run games (WGF as well) on Saturdays?

Eric

Pseudotheist
01-07-2014, 19:43
Do you run games (WGF as well) on Saturdays?
Not generally. If he have one I'll be sure to post in the relevant thread.

DeRuyter
01-08-2014, 09:28
Thanks!

Pseudotheist
01-31-2014, 16:47
So I won't be there, as I already had other plans, but The Family Game Store is having a demo day on:
Sunday, February 9th, at noon.

If anyone sees this and decides to go, I'd appreciate it if you mentioned you heard about it form me through this site (they'll know me as the guy who runs Wings of War nights).

Pseudotheist
02-11-2014, 16:49
Apparently The Family Game Store had 8 for their demo day. More importantly, they've decided to try running Sails of Glory nights on the first and third Monday of the month. That makes the next night:
Monday, February 17th @ 6:00

Pseudotheist
02-16-2014, 16:42
That makes the next night:
Monday, February 17th @ 6:00
Don't know if anyone's reading this thread, but FYI: the start time is apparently 7:00...

Pseudotheist
03-01-2014, 07:53
Another session this Monday if anyone is interested...

Pseudotheist
03-16-2014, 17:50
Another session tomorrow. Exciting develpoments fo this event, as I actually expect to be able to make it finally!

Pseudotheist
03-18-2014, 18:31
I actually made it out last night, and they had a total of 5 people. We ran the 4 small British ships agaist a Fench ship of the line with advanced rules. One of our ships managed to inflict 2 broken masts and a leak on the SoL in the opening exchange, which kinda tilted the odds in Englands favor. But the Fench at least managed to destroy that ship before going down.

Next event should be Monday, April 14th @ 7:00

Pseudotheist
03-31-2014, 16:57
One week until the next Monday night game (which I don't think I'll be able to make)!

Also, the Family Game Store is celebrating Tabletop Day with Sails of Glory (among other things); they'll be playing starting at 1:00 on Saturday, April 5th.

Pseudotheist
08-29-2014, 17:35
I don't know that anyone ever sees this thread, but I just wanted to say the games are still going on. Last one we actually had 8 people, and next one is Monday!

Nightmoss
08-29-2014, 18:46
I don't know that anyone ever sees this thread, but I just wanted to say the games are still going on. Last one we actually had 8 people, and next one is Monday!

That's great news Todd. Are you playing with any of the Wave 2 ships or sticking with the Starter set and the Wave 1 add on's?

Pseudotheist
08-29-2014, 20:00
That's great news Todd. Are you playing with any of the Wave 2 ships or sticking with the Starter set and the Wave 1 add on's?
We've got wave 2 available; whether or not we use them depends on what balanced fleets we can come up with.

Nightmoss
08-29-2014, 22:39
We've got wave 2 available; whether or not we use them depends on what balanced fleets we can come up with.

Cool! Thanks for the reply.

Pseudotheist
05-04-2015, 19:59
Games are still going here; I think we've had 5 the last two times I made it out. Hopefully some of the regulars will find this thread and we can start planning some games in advance. Still first and third Monday of the month, making the next game Monday, May 18th... which I will not be able to make it to.

Bos'n
05-20-2015, 01:44
The Family Game Store played host to four happy sailors last night.

Two British ships, an SOL an a light frigate, attacked a convoy of merchant ships guarded by two French ships, a light frigate and a heavy frigate that looked a lot like the Constitution. I had to use her, she hasn't gotten to play at all and needed the exercise. The French light frigate sank the British light frigate and the British SOL damaged the Le Constitution so badly that she wasn't any use for the rest of the night. The British finished the game having captured one merchantman and sinking another. Two merchants and the two French ships all survived, but trust me the Brits won the day. :surrender:

We invite all of the Maryland members who frequent this forum to come down to the Family Game Store at Savage Mill Mall on the first and third Monday of each month to play a little. We meet at 7 pm.

Bob

Pseudotheist
05-29-2015, 20:38
Oh, hey! Someone's here...

I should be able to make it on Monday. Do you have any scenarios in mind? Should I bring anything?

Bos'n
06-07-2015, 02:07
Last Monday, five intrepid sailors came to The Family Game Store at Savage Mill and sailed off into the morning fog. Two burden 4 frigates from Great Britain and three from France, one burden 4 and Two burden 3 frigates, surprised each other as the fog lifted. The cannons roared and the muskets crackled for half a hour before the first two victims slid under the waves; the French twins met Davie Jones together.:takecover::takecover: The ships remaining ships maneuvered for another 45 minutes before one of the English ships ran up the white flag.:surrender: The final hour saw the duel continued, trading shot for shot, the French taking the better of the two and His Magesty's Frigate ran for home. :cry:

All that came enjoyed themselves and most will be back, Monday, June 15th for the next adventure. Anyone who can make it to the mall at Historic Savage Mill in Savage, MD is welcome. See you there at 7 pm.

Bob

Popsical
06-07-2015, 02:45
Sounds like fun was had all Bob. :medal:
Any chance of some piccies and an AAR?

Bos'n
06-11-2015, 07:22
Sounds like fun was had all Bob. :medal:
Any chance of some piccies and an AAR?

An AAR is possible, there is one, sort of, on the thread about sailing into the fog.

Hop on a plane and come to the Baltimore-Washington International Airport next Monday and I'll take you to Savage Mill for a game of SoG. The trip may be long, but it would be worth it.

Bob :salute:

............................:swordright::pistole::cannonboom:.................:cannon::takecover::swordleft:

Pseudotheist
06-30-2015, 16:52
Next meeting is coming up this Monday, July 6th. Last time we had 4 players, and an interesting Merchant scenario Bos'n's been working on. He should be there again this week, probably with another cool scenario lined up.

Bos'n
07-06-2015, 02:18
You betcha. We're going to introduce the group to Bomb Vessels. See you there.

Bob :salute:

MarkG-MD
07-24-2015, 16:59
Okay, guys. You brow beat me enough to join!

As we talked last Monday, I'll bring my set and scenario the first Monday in August. I would like to try my scenario loosely based on the battle of Cape Henry (16 March 1781) with each side secretly picking their fleet (French or British) with the smaller point fleet having the wind advantage.

Bos'n
07-30-2015, 01:37

As we talked last Monday, I'll bring my set and scenario the first Monday in August. I would like to try my scenario loosely based on the battle of Cape Henry (16 March 1781) with each side secretly picking their fleet (French or British) with the smaller point fleet having the wind advantage.

Hmmm Mark, what are you a plottin? This sounds like a bit of skullduggery to my likin'. :shootleft::shootright::beer::cheezy::thanks: Think hard before startin' trouble at the Family Game Store at Savage Mill in Savage, MD!

Pseudotheist
07-30-2015, 14:54

Gosh, that's in like 4 days... I believe I'll be able to make it/ Let me know if you need anything. Welcome!

Pseudotheist
08-14-2015, 18:55
And another game on Monday! I won't be able to make it, but I believe Bos'n has a scenario planned...

Bos'n
08-16-2015, 14:32
And another game on Monday! I won't be able to make it, but I believe Bos'n has a scenario planned...

Yup.

Pseudotheist
09-03-2015, 20:31
So, how was the last meeting? Are we having a meeting this Monday, with Labor Day and all? Starting at 6:00, or 7:00?

Pseudotheist
09-06-2015, 13:39
O.k. well according to the store, I don't think Steve will be there, so if no one posts here by tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to assume we won't have attendance due to the holiday.

Pseudotheist
07-05-2016, 19:32
So, apparently this is still going on, but the store just sent out a notification it has moved to 1st & 3rd Tuesdays. Thought I'd post an update in case anyone stumbles across this. Doesn't make it particularly likely that I'll be able to pick this back up in the near future, though...

Bos'n
07-07-2016, 04:44
So, apparently this is still going on, but the store just sent out a notification it has moved to 1st & 3rd Tuesdays. Thought I'd post an update in case anyone stumbles across this. Doesn't make it particularly likely that I'll be able to pick this back up in the near future, though...

Todd,

If you are wanting to rejoin the group, I think we can accomidate your schedule. The Monday time slot is out, but I think the group would meet almost any other day to get you back.

Let me know ANYTHING I can do to help.

Pseudotheist
03-11-2019, 17:41
Well, this forum was never very active, but for the record, The Family Game Store is shutting their doors at the end of the month, so this location will no longer be a going concern. I'm probably going to see if Gritty Goblin is interested in hosting such games, but don't know if any of the Sails regulars would be interested in relocating there or someplace else.

Bligh
03-12-2019, 02:01
Sorry to hear that another venue is to close Todd.
I just hope a few of your friends see this notice and get in touch.
Hope you have luck with gritty Goblin.
Rob.

Bos'n
03-13-2019, 06:01
Well, this forum was never very active, but for the record, The Family Game Store is shutting their doors at the end of the month, so this location will no longer be a going concern. I'm probably going to see if Gritty Goblin is interested in hosting such games, but don't know if any of the Sails regulars would be interested in relocating there or someplace else.

Todd, I am in the process of check on this with Gritty Goblin. I’ll be speaking with the management on Tuesday when they get back from convention. I’ll use this form to let you know what happens for both Wings and Sails.

Bob.

Pseudotheist
06-07-2019, 19:37
On the pretense that someone might see this thread, I figure I'll mention that We are playing at Gritty Goblin Games, third Thursdays, meaning the 20th this month. Maybe we should start a new thread for the new store?

Dobbs
06-07-2019, 20:17
Where in Maryland is this? I'm in the northeast corner.

Bligh
06-08-2019, 07:51
On the pretense that someone might see this thread, I figure I'll mention that We are playing at Gritty Goblin Games, third Thursdays, meaning the 20th this month. Maybe we should start a new thread for the new store?

I saw it Todd!
If you wish to start a new thread do so by all means.
Would you like a dedicated space for all games clubs throughout the world or just one for your particular use?
Rob.

Pseudotheist
06-09-2019, 09:03
Where in Maryland is this? I'm in the northeast corner.

We're at Gritty Goblin Games in Maple Lawn, off of 29 between Baltimre & D.C. My brother actually lives up in Northeast, but I don't know that he's got the free time for a gaming night. If you were trying to set something up up there I could fordward the info to him though.

I don't think we need anything new set up for our games; a thread in the US wing/fleet works fine over at the Wings forum; this one just never seemed to register the ame interest. but thanks for the offer, Bligh.

Pseudotheist
06-19-2019, 18:00
Reminder; game tomorrow.

Bligh, one thing you could do to increase forum visibility is make the US Fleet (or any fleet) posts visible on the "New Posts" page without having to be logged in.

Bligh
06-20-2019, 00:40
Good idea Todd.
As Keith has the overall control of the placement of the posts and visibility or not, why not mention it to him in a PM when he returns from vacation?
Rob.

Jersey Escapee
07-08-2019, 15:26
This is Jim. Can't make the 7/19 game. Need to be over in DE again (hopefully for last time, so should be better able to make future games).

Bligh
07-09-2019, 00:31
Welcome to the Anchorage Jim, and good to see that you have finally docked after a couple of years ploughing the seven seas. Do pop along to the Wardroom and have a chat and a pint with the rest of the crew sometime.
May you sail with a fair wind and a willing enemy.
Rob.

Pseudotheist
07-15-2019, 17:55
This is Jim. Can't make the 7/19 game. Need to be over in DE again (hopefully for last time, so should be better able to make future games).
Thanks for letting us know! You'll be missed, but Bob and I intend to be there with a scenario ready.

Pseudotheist
09-17-2019, 15:14
I will be unable to attend this Thursday's game.

Jersey Escapee
09-17-2019, 15:40
I will be unable to attend this Thursday's game.

Thanks for the reminder. I think John and I may be the only ones this week. I've planned a small game involving the Constitution's last battle, since John was asking about historical scenarios and he's a War of 1812 buff.

Bligh
09-18-2019, 02:28
Have a good one.
Don't forget some photos for us all Jim. We don't see the Conni in action nearly enough.
Rob.

JimBlkHwk
02-17-2020, 07:48
Hi all! Is there still a game at the Gritty Goblin this Thursday?

Jersey Escapee
02-17-2020, 08:21
Hi all! Is there still a game at the Gritty Goblin this Thursday?

"Yes. At least a couple of us plan to be there at 6 PM and I have a scenario that's scalable for 2 to 6 players. We won't have 6 players, so newcomers are more than welcome."

JimBlkHwk
02-17-2020, 08:54
"Yes. At least a couple of us plan to be there at 6 PM and I have a scenario that's scalable for 2 to 6 players. We won't have 6 players, so newcomers are more than welcome."

Great! Thank you. Look forward to joining you all on Thursday!

Pseudotheist
03-18-2020, 14:23
Just got confirmation from Gritty Goblin that they have closed their gaming area for the time being, so no game this month. Lets hope we'll be back on for April.

Bligh
06-04-2020, 04:56
hi Todd.
Have you heard anything from B'osun Bob lately as he has not been on the Anchorage for a year now?
Rob.

Pseudotheist
07-16-2020, 08:42
Sadly, Bob set sail for St. Mary's county a few months ago, so too far for regular attendance.

Technically, Gritty Goblin is open till 7 today, and allowing limited attendance gaming, but I'm assuming no one's coming out this month. We'd probably have to start earlier if we wanted to get a game in. If someone is interested in trying for next month, let us know.

Bligh
07-16-2020, 15:37
Sorry to hear that about Bob,Todd.
i hope you manage to get your game going next month.
in these strange times we can only hope, but it will all sort itself out eventually.
Till then stay safe.
Rob.

JimBlkHwk
07-16-2020, 16:26
Hey Todd,

I'd be interested in trying next month, but an earlier start time my pose some issues with my work schedule. I'll reach out when it gets closer.

Look forward to meeting you Todd. I made it out in February and had the pleasure of meeting Bob before his move and met Jim. Had a great time an been bummed I haven't gotten to do it again!

Best,
James

Jersey Escapee
07-17-2020, 14:06
Good to hear from you Todd and James and glad you seem to be well and that Gritty Goblin appears to be surviving.

I really do miss the games. I just don't know that I can commit right now to next month. Timing is not an issue for me, but things might have to cool down a bit more, or at least be stable for a while, before I'd be ready. We can check in again in a few weeks.

Jersey Escapee
07-17-2020, 14:11
Sorry Rob. I didn't mean to neglect you. I'm also glad that you appear to be doing well.

Bligh
07-17-2020, 15:26
Thanks Jim.
Just praying that we all come out the otherside OK.
None of us are ready for Fiddler's green just yet a while I trust.
Rob.

Pseudotheist
08-17-2020, 17:51
So, Gritty Goblin is open for small group gaming. Given our pre-COVID turnout, I figure we'd qualify if anyone is interested in coming out this Thursday.

Bligh
08-18-2020, 04:20
Good to hear that something is moving even if only slightly in the right direction Todd. You may well be the first to show a photo of a live club game for months.
Rob.

Jersey Escapee
08-19-2020, 14:35
So, Gritty Goblin is open for small group gaming. Given our pre-COVID turnout, I figure we'd qualify if anyone is interested in coming out this Thursday.

"Sorry Todd, can't make it this month.
Jim"

Pseudotheist
08-19-2020, 17:55
No problem. If someone else posts that they plan to make it than I can be there. Otherwise we can try for next month, if you're interested.

Pseudotheist
09-14-2020, 17:32
So, this Thursday is our monthly date again. Did we want to try to have a game?

Pseudotheist
09-17-2020, 05:26
O.k. So if no one has chimed in, I probably won't be there @ 6.

Next month?

JimBlkHwk
01-18-2021, 17:12
Hi all. Sorry I've disappeared for a while. Hope everyone is well. Anyone up for a game this Thursday?

Best,
James

Bligh
01-19-2021, 01:12
Good to see you back safely back at the Anchorage Jim. In these parlous times one gets worried if a shipmate goes missing for too long. I hope you manage to get your game together.
Rob.

JimBlkHwk
01-19-2021, 06:46
Thanks Rob. Glad to be back. It has been a long year, but healthy and happy and ready to get under sail!

Best,
James

Pseudotheist
01-20-2021, 17:21
Hi all. Sorry I've disappeared for a while. Hope everyone is well. Anyone up for a game this Thursday?

Best,
James
I'd like to, but given current levels, I think I'm gonna try to hold out for the vaccine at this point. If hospital beds empty out or the vaccine roll out falls apart I might revisit that. Otherwise, looking forward to summer. Sorry.

Pseudotheist
04-06-2021, 19:16
So, Gritty Goblin has relocated:

6420 Freetown Rd
Suite 130
Columbia, MD 21044

They have a larger gaming area, and I have been vaccinated. Anyone else up for testing out the new location next Thursday?

Bligh
04-07-2021, 00:53
I do hope you get your games going again soon Todd, as you have been trying so hard. It will be our first signs that things are getting slightly better on the gaming front.
Plus, on a more selfish note, the Anchorage could do with a shot of the real action posted again to get us out of the Doldrums.
Rob.

Pseudotheist
04-10-2021, 14:25
;Turns out this week is not a good week for me anyway
Early warning for next month...

So, Gritty Goblin has relocated:

6420 Freetown Rd
Suite 130
Columbia, MD 21044

They have a larger gaming area, and I have been vaccinated. Anyone else up for testing out the new location next Thursday?

Pseudotheist
05-15-2021, 12:22
Just a reminder. I intend to be at Gritty Goblin this Thursday until about 6:30 or so; ready to play if anyone else shows up.

Pseudotheist
06-14-2021, 15:49
I'll be around again this Thursday if anyone wants to stop by.

Pseudotheist
07-12-2021, 18:01
I'll be out again this Thursday, just in case.

Pseudotheist
08-13-2021, 16:20
So, last month we had an appearance from Zach.
If Jim or Mark or anyone is out there it would be great to get some real sailing put together...

Bligh
08-14-2021, 03:11
And some photos please Todd.
Rob.

Pseudotheist
09-10-2021, 15:03
No one last time, and with school & activities starting back up, my schedule is getting busy.

So, I think Sails @ Gritty Goblin is going on hiatus until there's a more reliable demonstration of interest. If someone in the area is interested in starting this back up, please post.

Bligh
09-11-2021, 12:42
Sorry to hear that Todd. Hopefully it will get going again once people get their lives sorted out.
Rob.