PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Some Sort Of Plastic Coating For _SoG_ Sheets

csadn
01-01-2014, 15:44
After some experimentation, it's as I feared -- the sheer number of counters on a control sheet is impractical for the sort of gaming spaces I have to deal with; it is inevitable someone [cough] will bump the table and dislodge the counters.

So what I am looking for is some sort of plastic wrap which can be placed on the control boards, so one can scribble on them directly with crayon or dry-erase marker, and wipe off as required. Anyone have any ideas on this score?

Nightmoss
01-01-2014, 16:13
After some experimentation, it's as I feared -- the sheer number of counters on a control sheet is impractical for the sort of gaming spaces I have to deal with; it is inevitable someone [cough] will bump the table and dislodge the counters.

So what I am looking for is some sort of plastic wrap which can be placed on the control boards, so one can scribble on them directly with crayon or dry-erase marker, and wipe off as required. Anyone have any ideas on this score?

I'd have to test the laminate to see if dry markers wipe clean, but I'd start with something like this:

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Products/General-Supplies/Sheet-Protectors/Laminating-Sheets_73601.htm

7eat51
01-01-2014, 21:37
I'd have to test the laminate to see if dry markers wipe clean, but I'd start with something like this:

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Products/General-Supplies/Sheet-Protectors/Laminating-Sheets_73601.htm

Thanks for the link, Jim.

I would like a set of laminated ship mats and logs; this way I can choose a system based on a particular session. Laminated mats/logs could help when running two ships or at a convention, especially if utilizing clipboards. Folks could walk around the table, switch between cards, etc. with relative ease.

Nightmoss
01-01-2014, 21:59
Thanks for the link, Jim.

I would like a set of laminated ship mats and logs; this way I can choose a system based on a particular session. Laminated mats/logs could help when running two ships or at a convention, especially if utilizing clipboards. Folks could walk around the table, switch between cards, etc. with relative ease.

If you want to pick this stuff up locally I would try Office Depot, CopyMax or Staples. I've seen (and bought) this stuff at all 3 places.

csadn
01-02-2014, 16:02
[nod] And I have enough spare sheets to experiment with... not, of course, that I intend to experiment on them directly.... >;)

Diamondback
01-02-2014, 20:02
I'd Xerox the ship's log, then run that through a laminator like the time-honored elementary-school favorite. :)

The Royal Hajj
01-03-2014, 07:46
How do you guys plan to handle partially damaged hull boxes, just write the current damage total on it?

The Royal Hajj
01-03-2014, 07:48
Folks could walk around the table, switch between cards, etc. with relative ease.

I actually prefer that people stay put and have someone across the table move their ship for them. Typically at cons the space is limited and having people walking back and forth around the table just causes things to get bumped or disrupts the game play. Just my thoughts of course.

Diamondback
01-03-2014, 11:35
Oh, you'd have a fit with me then... I'm one of those people that has to pace to think. LOL

Gaz67
01-03-2014, 11:47
I'm one of those people that has to pace to think

That's what nail guns were invented for.....

Diamondback
01-03-2014, 11:59
EXTREMELY bad idea, slick--I have a little rule: "Anyone who points a weapon at me gets it taken away from them--then given back as a suppository."

:P

7eat51
01-03-2014, 12:02
I actually prefer that people stay put and have someone across the table move their ship for them. Typically at cons the space is limited and having people walking back and forth around the table just causes things to get bumped or disrupts the game play. Just my thoughts of course.

Good advice.

As for partially damaged hull boxes, something like you said. As counters are drawn, numbers are written. I would like to try this out, if for nothing else, as an experiment. I don't know how it would affect the feel of the game, if it would be clumsy, etc. I will try it with a group of friends, playing the game both ways and soliciting their feedback.

That's what nail guns were invented for.....

That's great. :thumbsup:

The Royal Hajj
01-03-2014, 12:19
EXTREMELY bad idea, slick--I have a little rule: "Anyone who points a weapon at me gets it taken away from them--then given back as a suppository."

:P

So Liquid Nail it is then!

The Royal Hajj
01-03-2014, 12:22
Good advice.

As for partially damaged hull boxes, something like you said. As counters are drawn, numbers are written. I would like to try this out, if for nothing else, as an experiment. I don't know how it would affect the feel of the game, if it would be clumsy, etc. I will try it with a group of friends, playing the game both ways and soliciting their feedback.

Keep in mind that writing down the damage as a running number loses the benefit of record keeping (going back to make sure the math/effects were applied right). That, and for me, the components of a game make up a lot of the enjoyment I get out of them. heck, I've even thought about making my self a set of wooden damage counters!

7eat51
01-03-2014, 12:56
the components of a game make up a lot of the enjoyment I get out of them.

Agreed. That's why I would play test this with friends. I see two types of games being played - smaller groups at my house and cons, and larger groups at cons. With smaller groups at my house, I would only use issued components, if you will, because we have the luxury of time and space given the number of players. Similarly, I wouldn't bother with anything different at cons if we're talking a four-on-for situation. My concern is at cons when running larger events, for example eight-on-eight or more, assuming I could attract such a number in the first place. Thinking about the spaces I had available at the two cons in the fall, I am not sure how feasible it would be using the ship mats with all the counters. Having clipboards in hand could facilitate such games.

The Royal Hajj
01-03-2014, 13:07
Having clipboards in hand could facilitate such games.

Yes, but you rob new players to the game of truly experiencing the game. Something to keep in mind when goal is to get new players into the game ;) As they say, you only get one first impression... and it holds true for games as well. Not saying it can't work or does not have it's place, just think about all the aspects. Large con games can be tough space wise.

7eat51
01-03-2014, 13:19
Yes, but you rob new players to the game of truly experiencing the game. Something to keep in mind when goal is to get new players into the game ;) As they say, you only get one first impression... and it holds true for games as well. Not saying it can't work or does not have it's place, just think about all the aspects. Large con games can be tough space wise.

I'm with you on the marketing side. I plan on advertising large games for experienced players, and I would use small games for newbies, this way I can spend more time with them, and they are in a smaller pond and more central to what is happening on the table. Of course, this is down the road when there are a number of experienced players.

Diamondback
01-03-2014, 16:27
At a larger game with veteran players, the ideal would be electronic record-keeping and RNG chit-draws of some kind... might help speed things up.

csadn
01-03-2014, 16:28
Keep in mind that writing down the damage as a running number loses the benefit of record keeping (going back to make sure the math/effects were applied right).

Not sure what you mean here.

As 7 suggests: The idea is to write down the partial-damage in the box, and cross the box off altogether once it's destroyed. Any special damage types (fire, for ex.) can be noted as well (the singular irony of an unrepairable damage box being marked with a big red F is not lost on me :) ).

Using the "assigning damage" example from the rulebook:

First volley:

-- The 0s are ignored.

-- The two "crew loss" results are registered by crossing off the first two crew boxes on the Crew track.

-- The 6 counter results in the first Hull box being crossed off.

-- The 4 results in the second Hull box being crossed off.

-- The 2 results in a "2" being written over the third Hull box.

Second volley:

-- The 0 is ignored.

-- The Crew Loss token and Crew Loss Special Damage result in the third and fourth Crew boxes being crossed off.

-- The 3 results in the fourth Hull box being crossed off (since there's existing damage in the third box).

-- The 2 goes into the third box along with the existing 2; that box being "full", the 2 is erased, and the box crossed off (or the box is crossed off overtop the 2).

-- The two 1s go into the fifth box; a "2" is written there.

For reloading, one need only write in what turn the broadside will be ready to fire, rather than fiddling with flipping the counter back and forth. Special ammo can be indicated with an initial.

For damage repair: Erase a box, then copy those to the left over if need be. The "0 damage" box can be used to keep notes re what damage repair has been done.

The Royal Hajj
01-04-2014, 07:41
I meant that if someone questions the amount of damage done in a previous turn, or the order in which it accord over a couple of turns, there is no way to go back and check that if you are only writing the final damage number down. Might not come up often, but in a Con game keeping things fair and everyone happy, it could be a big deal.

csadn
01-04-2014, 17:13
I meant that if someone questions the amount of damage done in a previous turn, or the order in which it accord over a couple of turns, there is no way to go back and check that if you are only writing the final damage number down. Might not come up often, but in a Con game keeping things fair and everyone happy, it could be a big deal.

I've yet to play a game where that question has ever come up. As to Con Games and accusations of cheating -- well, there's a reason why I never play tournament events at cons.