PDA

View Full Version : Still no SoG package so here is an AAR of my X-Wing Christmas game

DeRuyter
12-27-2013, 12:56
Still no Ares tracking e-mail. We played my annual Christmas Kids game yesterday and this year we played X-Wing, the Death Star Trench Run game. Rebels have 10 turns to put a proton torpedo into the exhaust port. The Empire has an unlimited supply of Tie fighters to stop them, and Darth Vader of course! We had eight kids plus adults playing the game.

The Rebels couldn't hit the side of a barn much less the exhaust port. Luke took his X-Wing into the trench and shot his torpedo without a good target lock. Another X-Wing and a Y-Wing ran the full length of the trench using other ships to take the fire and both missed. The Tie fighters had a hard time hitting the Rebels ships as well as only one Y-Wing and one X-Wing went down, although most had no shields left by the end.

Overview of the board towards the end of the game.

Final attack. Y-Wing with 2 stay on target markers and lock on port. 3v3 dice but no hits.

Darth and companion pursuing Y-Wings, but here comes the Falcon.

Hopefully next game on the sea!

Eric

David Manley
12-27-2013, 13:03
Looks great. Where did you get the tiles and the turbo lasers?

Nightmoss
12-27-2013, 13:12
Wow! It does look great and I'd like to know where you got tho laser towers as well. Just out of curiosity was it kids vs. adults or a mixed bag? Most of the young ones around here seem inclined to be the evil empire, or at best filthy bounty hunters. :wink:

DeRuyter
12-27-2013, 14:14
We had a mixed bag - I made sure to split up brothers and we had a couple of father vs. sons, plus a father/son Gold Sqdn. team. Also the kid who just got an X-Wing core set for Christmas got to play Darth Vader. Of course we had the appropriate soundtrack in the background.

The turbolaser towers are from Fat Dragon Games. Aaron posted the link on TMP so I give credit to him. The pdf also has tiles and asteroids.

http://www.fatdragongames.com/fdgfiles/sci-fi/e-z-battlefields-starship-attack-fdg0131

My tiles which are mounted on a foam core presentation board, are from this pdf:

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/106202/Warscapes-Star-Base-Trench-Run?term=star+base&filters=0_40209_40014_0

Eric

Nightmoss
12-27-2013, 14:44
We had a mixed bag - I made sure to split up brothers and we had a couple of father vs. sons, plus a father/son Gold Sqdn. team. Also the kid who just got an X-Wing core set for Christmas got to play Darth Vader. Of course we had the appropriate soundtrack in the background.

The turbolaser towers are from Fat Dragon Games. Aaron posted the link on TMP so I give credit to him. The pdf also has tiles and asteroids.

http://www.fatdragongames.com/fdgfiles/sci-fi/e-z-battlefields-starship-attack-fdg0131

My tiles which are mounted on a foam core presentation board, are from this pdf:

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/106202/Warscapes-Star-Base-Trench-Run?term=star+base&filters=0_40209_40014_0

Eric

Excellent!! Thanks!

7eat51
12-27-2013, 15:57
Very, very nice, Eric. That must have been a good time. Thanks for the links.

I bought a few planes for our "nephew" - the son of very close friends - for Christmas; my Buddy and he are huge Star Wars fans. I am hoping to fly my first mission with them over break. I have heard so many good things about this game.

Andy Blozinski
12-29-2013, 08:15
I saw a convention set-up that looked like maybe he used the same tiles and towers as you. One thing different he did, though, was use two tables separated in the middle. This allowed him to drop the trench section in the middle so it really was a trench.

Andy Blozinski
12-29-2013, 08:18
Are those foam dice at the end? I got some foam dice and like to use them at conventions. You can throw them around and you don't have to worry about hurting your stuff or other people's stuff. They harmlessly bounce off everything. I had a guy knock the side skirt off one of my StuGs when his big ass Vegas dice slammed into the side of it years ago.

Coog
12-29-2013, 11:18
I saw a convention set-up that looked like maybe he used the same tiles and towers as you. One thing different he did, though, was use two tables separated in the middle. This allowed him to drop the trench section in the middle so it really was a trench.

I think this is the one you are talking about:

DeRuyter
12-29-2013, 13:57
Looks like a variant of the rules I used. Several versions are on the BGG X-wing page.