PDA

View Full Version : Flipping cards, or buying two ships?

The Royal Hajj
12-26-2013, 19:37
It might still be a little early for many of us to know which way we will go on this topic, but I"m curious what people are thinking about doing. Are you planning on having two miniatures so you can feild both the A and B side of each card, or will you just flip the card over as needed?

Gunner
12-26-2013, 19:53
I'll have a ship for each card, with minor changes for the flip side ship

Coog
12-26-2013, 19:55
It would depend on the ship for me. Some I would be satisfied with one ship and others I would want multiple ships. For example I would want multiple British 38's as there are many times more than one would be used in game. A British 64, one would be enough.

Diamondback
12-26-2013, 20:28
Doubletap of everything except the uniques.

Andy Blozinski
12-26-2013, 20:43
I'll have to wait to see if the flip side of the card has any significant difference.

Tommy Z
12-26-2013, 20:47
I'll make do with one for now. I'm going to wait and see how big our games get. We have several sets between us here in Columbus and can flip as needed.

GreenLaborMike
12-26-2013, 20:59
I pledged at Commodore level, and I plan to keep at least one set of 16 ships. Unless something very unexpected happens, I don't anticipate needing more than 4 Frigates or 4 SOL's on a side in a single battle.

Nightmoss
12-26-2013, 21:19
Ship for each card is my plan, but plans might change once I get the game components in hand.

Comte de Brueys
12-27-2013, 01:17
Besides my WoG purchases, the size of my fleet will not be that huge.

Normaly a reason to flip the ship's cards, but I think I'll make a decision for the cooler/better name and keep this side for gaming.

Capn Duff
12-27-2013, 14:07
A ship for each side for me, well that's the intention anyway

GrouperKicker
12-27-2013, 14:41
I'll need to get the 8 ships not included in the LT KS backer package before I even consider a second version of the ships. And heck... soon after that happens wave 2 will be taking pre-orders!!!

7eat51
12-27-2013, 16:05
In making history, a Chicagoan not only did not vote more than once in a single election, but abstained from voting. Until I have the game in hand, and a better idea of what will be useful at cons, I don't know how I will utilize the double-sided cards. Since I am in at the Commodore level, I believe I can play both sides with the ships I have, correct?

Gunner
12-27-2013, 16:10
In making history, a Chicagoan not only did not vote more than once in a single election, but abstained from voting. Until I have the game in hand, and a better idea of what will be useful at cons, I don't know how I will utilize the double-sided cards. Since I am in at the Commodore level, I believe I can play both sides with the ships I have, correct?

Correct. Minor ship changes (or not so minor) for the flip side.

csadn
12-27-2013, 16:30
I already have a small fleet for both UK and France (one each side: 4-ship SoL squadron, 4-ship frigate squadron)....

Naharaht
12-27-2013, 18:48
I will wait and see.

Toothless9
12-28-2013, 01:12
Sixteen ships is enough for me. If I get my sons to play and we all controlled 4 ships apiece, I would be using everything I own and the battle would be extremely crowded. I don't see this happening. I may get the victory and the constitution when they are released but that's about it. I'd much rather keep buying WGF airplanes. Bring on series 7 and series 8, which reminds me I must place my order at the Aerodrome!

Cpt Kangaroo
12-28-2013, 11:11
I will have a mini for each card, plus if they ever come out with new cards for the same class, I will do the same.

I am not a real fan of swapping bits, that is where damage occurs.

Some small distinctive change will be needed to make it stand out as a different ship though.

I will wait and see what is the best way to achieve this.

Jack Aubrey
12-28-2013, 12:15
I'll have to wait to see if the flip side of the card has any significant difference.

Me too

RichardPF
12-28-2013, 18:52
Wait...

Are you saying ONLY ONE ship for each card side?

Andy Blozinski
12-28-2013, 23:55
Wait...

Are you saying ONLY ONE ship for each card side?
Each ship card that comes with one mini has two sides. What they are saying is that you buy two copies of the same mini, one for each side of the card. Obviously you also end up with two identical two sided cards since you bought two minis. The point is that you use one identical mini for one side and the other identical mini for the other side.
From a basic practical point of view, this makes sense if you want to use the ships on both sides of the card in the same battle.
From another point of view, it might make sense for wear and tear purposes. You're not swapping out parts. It's minor, but it's not without merit.

The Royal Hajj
12-30-2013, 10:33
I'm pretty sure Bruce was speaking in jest with the size of his KS order. lol

Another merit to the "ship for every card side" is that you could semi-permanently attach your ship to the base, making for a more secure storage solution.

Diamondback
12-30-2013, 16:43
Hell, with the size of HIS order I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce started creating his own custom cards to fill out the classes' unprinted sisters.

Gunner
12-30-2013, 17:01
Hell, with the size of HIS order I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce started creating his own custom cards to fill out the classes' unprinted sisters.

Hope he does, I'll be his first customer.

RichardPF
12-30-2013, 17:29

Another merit to the "ship for every card side" is that you could semi-permanently attach your ship to the base, making for a more secure storage solution.

Yes, it was definitely an attempt at humor.

As some on this site know, I went a bit, pardon the expression, overboard with my original KS pledge and then again with the extras.

Andy Blozinski
12-30-2013, 20:39

I would think you would only have to permanently attach it to the clear plastic part if you wanted something 100% secure. This way you could still flip the card.
Keith: It looks like Litko stopped making his ship bases with etched wakes. This is a product you could offer sized specifically for SoG.

Coog
12-30-2013, 20:53
I would think you would only have to permanently attach it to the clear plastic part if you wanted something 100% secure. This way you could still flip the card.
Keith: It looks like Litko stopped making his ship bases with etched wakes. This is a product you could offer sized specifically for SoG.

Seems like the etched waves would make reading the card difficult, that is if it is clear plastic and goes on top of the card?

Andy Blozinski
12-30-2013, 20:58
Seems like the etched waves would make reading the card difficult, that is if it is clear plastic and goes on top of the card?
If only the wake is etched, it won't seriously block anything, but it will certainly increase the coolness factor.

Coog
12-30-2013, 21:05
If only the wake is etched, it won't seriously block anything, but it will certainly increase the coolness factor.

Would be worth a try using one. I wonder if any Anchorage members has one of the Litko bases so we could see how it looks?

Nightmoss
12-30-2013, 22:54
Would be worth a try using one. I wonder if any Anchorage members has one of the Litko bases so we could see how it looks?

I just received some custom Litko bases to use with my Langton 1/1200 ships. They're black opaque plastic 1/8" thick; 3 sizes for the various ships I'll be mounting on the water bases, which then go on top of the Litko base. If you want I can take some photos tomorrow to show you how they look?

The Royal Hajj
12-31-2013, 07:12

The issue with only attaching it to the clear cover is that the cover is then not securely attached to the rest of the base. That and the peg goes through both of them.

I can look into adding some etching to a clear cover. My own idea I've been kicking around ever since I got the first prototype ship was sculpted base either cast in resin or 3D printed. The firing arcs and wind gauges would be recessed into the sculpt. They would have to be painted by the customer and producing them would be a big project, so it's still in the idea phase.

David Manley
12-31-2013, 07:26

As long as it doesn't look like a wake that a speedboat would throw up :) I've seen some AoS models with wakes added that would look good streaming from a destroyer at 30 knots!

Andy Blozinski
01-01-2014, 00:15
As long as it doesn't look like a wake that a speedboat would throw up :) I've seen some AoS models with wakes added that would look good streaming from a destroyer at 30 knots!

Show me some good wakes. Top down would be best. I'm seriously contemplating getting some custom jobs from Litko. I've already emailed them. They stopped making the catalog items with wakes because he said everyone wanted them a different size. He said they are contemplating adding a basemaker option specifically for ship bases with a wake. For now he said he could make me some custom jobs if I tell him what I want.

David Manley
01-01-2014, 00:23
Here's a good one.....

http://images.lightstalkers.org/images/776733/691-21-DS.jpg

Gunner
01-01-2014, 00:31
How much horsepower is pushing that?

David Manley
01-01-2014, 00:46
A bit but not much. The wake would be OK for a ship under more sail than she is carrying. Haven't found a decent top down photo of a ship purely under sail yet but then it is NYD and I only have a phone so searching is not as easy as it could be :)

The trick though is "understated"

Coog
01-01-2014, 00:53
Here's another photo. Not quite directly overhead.

Andy Blozinski
01-01-2014, 13:31
Interesting. It looks like mainly what you see is in the front. I'm thinking maybe get a good bow crest etched and then have a long stern wake etched. Hull length is not important because a long ship could simply cover up part of a long etched stern wake. I'll email Litko and have them send me photos of what they used to have since they don't have them as a reference on the web site any more.

The Royal Hajj
01-01-2014, 13:36
Interesting. It looks like mainly what you see is in the front. I'm thinking maybe get a good bow crest etched and then have a long stern wake etched. Hull length is not important because a long ship could simply cover up part of a long etched stern wake. I'll email Litko and have them send me photos of what they used to have since they don't have them as a reference on the web site any more.

The width of the stern wake might matter as it could be coming out the sides of shorter ships or as a stream out the back of longer ships. If they send you photos, can you please share them. I've never seen them either... trying to decide how well 2D etch would work for wake.

The Royal Hajj
01-01-2014, 13:38
Humm, just had a thought....

If etching can make a nice looking wake effect, I should be able to do the etching right on top of the clear plastic cover that come with the ships. That way one would not need an entirely new base and it would fit in 100% with every other ship you might game with.

Andy Blozinski
01-01-2014, 18:05
I would likely just glue the ship to the etched base, but Litko can make them with a peg hole.

Coog
01-01-2014, 18:12
I would likely just glue the ship to the etched base, but Litko can make them with a peg hole.

Even if the bases didn't have a peg hole, it seems like it wouldn't be that much trouble to drill them yourself if you wanted them.

Andy Blozinski
01-02-2014, 17:06
8095Jim at Litko did not have any photos of the old wake bases. He did have a photo of a base they make for another game. I've attached it to this posting.

fredmiracle
01-02-2014, 18:02
Regarding the original topic, if the ships were significantly different in stats, I'd be tempted to have two so they could both play in a battle. But since all the ships in a class appear to be fairly interchangeable, one of each should be plenty.

It was easy to justify doing a little extra stocking up via the KS, since the first wave were all great bread and butter ships to fill out a basic fleet quickly. From here, though, I think I can be a little more selective. I might very well buy doubles on the sloops in wave 2, while leaving off some of the first-raters all together...

Diamondback
01-06-2014, 14:22
Speaking of custom cards, I started a thread where we can discuss stretching the existing sculpts to sister-ships and near-sisters...

So far it's a lot of placeholders for the Wave 1 and 2 sculpts, but it's at http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1930-Thoughts-on-Custom-Cards

The Royal Hajj
01-07-2014, 07:03

Jim at Litko did not have any photos of the old wake bases. He did have a photo of a base they make for another game. I've attached it to this posting.

Humm, hard to tell from that photo, but I'm not overly impressed.

HMS Lydia
01-07-2014, 08:57
I like the idea of larger battles and multiple games, perhaps at conventions. So, I want a ship for each side of the card. I would also like to get extras and make some custom cards. There were quite a few Amazon class frigates, Bellona class & Elizabeth class SoL's and there were tons of Temeraire class SoL's.

HMS Lydia
01-07-2014, 09:06
Speaking of custom cards, I started a thread where we can discuss stretching the existing sculpts to sister-ships and near-sisters...

So far it's a lot of placeholders for the Wave 1 and 2 sculpts, but it's at http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1930-Thoughts-on-Custom-Cards

Cool! Are we going to be able to post them?

The Royal Hajj
01-07-2014, 09:46
Cool! Are we going to be able to post them?

Yes, as they are not a replacement for a component that Ares makes. They have specifically stated that cards and stats for ships they do not yet make are just fine. Should they make a ship in the future that we have already done a custom card for, we would simply remove the custom at that point.

Diamondback
02-23-2014, 07:30
Update: With the issues I've been having with some cards fitting poorly into the bases, I'm glad I decided not to fight with flipping.

Re deletion of customs... if the stats are different and they're clearly a different fit for the same ship (say, Ares does an official mixed-battery Egmont and we already have the 1783 all-carronade load as a custom) then can the variant stay with a note about why it differs?

The Royal Hajj
02-24-2014, 06:40
Update: With the issues I've been having with some cards fitting poorly into the bases, I'm glad I decided not to fight with flipping.

Re deletion of customs... if the stats are different and they're clearly a different fit for the same ship (say, Ares does an official mixed-battery Egmont and we already have the 1783 all-carronade load as a custom) then can the variant stay with a note about why it differs?

As long as it is pointed out that it is not an official card, I think that should be fine. In fact, perhaps we should decide on some type of logo or change in color/design for the custom cards. That way it would be easy for players to know the difference at a glance.

Diamondback
02-24-2014, 06:54
How 'bout just putting the Anchrage logo on the corner of each card and log section?

The Royal Hajj
03-10-2014, 06:26
How 'bout just putting the Anchrage logo on the corner of each card and log section?

Sounds like good solution to me.

John Paul
03-10-2014, 19:02

Then I would be his second customer!!

Haggisblower
03-15-2014, 11:39
I'm happy just to have one for now but if I have the pennies I'll get two

Amara
03-18-2015, 17:05
They have specifically stated that cards and stats for ships they do not yet make are just fine. Should they make a ship in the future that we have already done a custom card for, we would simply remove the custom at that point.

If they themselves made up packs of extra ship cards to fill out the rest of each class (with stat boards for ships whose ratings vary), that would be the single most effective thing that they could do to get me to buy more ships. I only have GFOJ, Cape St. V, and Trafalgar in my Spreadsheet of Doom so far, but it's already telling me that I need nine more Temeraires. I'm holding fire on snagging more of them, in case there are more repaints coming as filler between waves of actual new sculpts. With cards for the ships I need for particular battles already in hand, I wouldn't have a reason to wait.

(My real answer to this poll is "A ship mini for both sides still doesn't give me enough 74s. I can has moar, plz?")

Diamondback
03-18-2015, 17:29
Susan, I've been working with another member who stages Very Large Battles (he did Nile last year and is doing GFOJ this year), and if you're game for it it might be interesting to compare notes. I've tackled Trafalgar+Ortegal and the Indian Ocean Campaign solo so far on research... lots of things I'm still trying to run down draughts and cluster into sculpts.

Full disclosure: I have an idea for a line of books I'm trying to get Ares to buy...

Bligh
06-24-2015, 02:09
Mostly managing with one ship and flipping, but am just starting to duplicate models to bulk up my fleets.
Rob.

7eat51
06-24-2015, 02:35
Doing the ship logs the past few hours, I became more aware of the subtle differences of some of the pairings. I didn't pay attention to them before. I still use the side I originally set. In the future, I will pay more attention.

TexaS
06-25-2015, 00:37
I buy several of the same ship and make my own cards with new names.

Dr.Maturin
11-20-2015, 09:46
I bought two pairs of ships with broken mast from Keith; this not only means I do not have to flip on these ships but it also saved me around £38.00 (including postage) on UK prices. The repair of broken masts was so easy I wish now I had bought more. I think that if I can afford it I would try for duplicate ships as a matter of course.
I'm currently throwing out heavy hints for Christmas pressies. I need four British 100 Gun S o L and one more French 74 to round out my Fleet.

Bligh
11-20-2015, 14:58
I Agree Reg.
I bought what I could afford from Keith, and have found them such a boon, that I wish I had overextended my budget when I ordered. The pairings substantially extended the size of my squadron, and at the same time allowed me to depict ships with damage.
Rob.

Naharaht
11-20-2015, 17:53
I have two of some ship models, mostly ones I found at a reduced price, although I did buy two HMS Victory's and two USS Constitution's.

7eat51
11-20-2015, 18:28
I have found that with the folks for whom I run games, almost any ship could do. That has kept me from feeling the need for multiples of ships. What I would like is a broader array of ships regarding classes so as to create varying scenarios. I think with WoG I am more inclined to have the full variety of paint schemes, including repaints, because once the game starts, the color schemes of the planes are more pronounced than the ships due to the angle of looking at the game pieces on the table.

As an amateur collector, I would like to have one of each sculpt, but even here I have not bought each released paint yet.

As for military history, there are a few ships that I am keenly interested in, whereas with WoG, there are whole squadrons, etc., that I wouldn't mind having.

Union Jack
11-21-2015, 03:22
Two if not more of each 74, you can't have too many 74's. Others, I think there are enough for me to have 1 of each (ie the frigates and sloops).

Bligh
11-21-2015, 04:05
I am just annoyed that I did not understand the ideas behind the Kickstarter and thus missed out on those ships.
Rob.

Capn Duff
11-21-2015, 06:39
In the end I have two of every official ship except the reprinted British frigate and the Victory and Constitution, luckily I did get the KS exclusives twice and now thinking of getting another USS Constitution after seeing DM's HMS President repaint at Doncaster

David Manley
11-21-2015, 07:33
I have one of each shp plus a few duplicates, mostly frigates. I don't see SGN as a fleet action game so I regard hordes of 74s as rather pointless. Happy to flip cards as necessary.

TexaS
11-21-2015, 12:25
Two if not more of each 74, you can't have too many 74's. Others, I think there are enough for me to have 1 of each (ie the frigates and sloops).

I have one of each shp plus a few duplicates, mostly frigates. I don't see SGN as a fleet action game so I regard hordes of 74s as rather pointless. Happy to flip cards as necessary.

SGN or not, these are my ships to play any naval napoleonic battle with and due to that I have hoards (or a little over 30) of 74s.

Killick
06-25-2017, 05:01
I tend to go for 2 ships for the different cards eg Thorn + Atlanta.