PDA

View Full Version : What are your plans?

SeaRoyal20
12-11-2013, 12:06
I know some will grab the ships and completely redo them into works of art! Thank you!! We will all get starry eyed in wonder when you do.

But I was wondering what approaches others are thinking about. Nothing. Add rigging? Do this, do that?

While we are waiting let's plan, scheme and day dream!

7eat51
12-11-2013, 12:15
I will add Keith's ratlines and paintbrush rigging to one set. Not sure about the other set. For future multiples, I will see what others post before deciding.

SeaRoyal20
12-11-2013, 12:17
"Keith's ratlines and paintbrush rigging "?? Is that a tutorial on this site?

7eat51
12-11-2013, 12:22
Ratlines: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1636-Photo-Etched-Brass-Ratlines&highlight=paintbrush

Paintbrush Rigging: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1547-How-To-Rig-a-SGN-ship-the-paint-brush-method&highlight=brush

Diamondback
12-11-2013, 16:34
Ratlines and Rigging MAYBE, and when I can find data repainting each ship in my second set to better match the historical markings of its "Side B" card.

Other than that, I'm pretty much an IIABDFWI sort, though back on the winged side there are enough marking issues on some of the Series 5 planes to make me start considering repaints and tweaking.

Comte de Brueys
12-20-2013, 23:05
My plans are to beat the RN. :wink:

Naharaht
12-22-2013, 20:11
I doubt that I will do any modifications.

Andy Blozinski
12-22-2013, 20:52
I was going to see about making the center mast removable. but I think I'll shelve that. I'll probably do Keith's ratlines and see what helpful hints others have for weathering the sails and then leave it at that. I MIGHT do 1-2 up with Keith's idea of using paint brush bristles for rigging. I'm not much of a modeler any more. One or two might be interesting, after that it's probably not fun any more and just becomes work for me. A few done up fancy would be a good convention demo tool to display that yes...you really can modify them to improve them if you don't think they're good enough.

Nightmoss
12-22-2013, 22:16
I'm not sure what I"ll do until I have them in hand and can study their construction up close. They're meant to be played with so I'm not sure I'm going to go all out and try to make them look as good as the Langton or GHQ minis. Based on what others have said and done I don't think it's going to take too much effort to enhance them. Sounds like people really like them right out of the box, which is a great sign.

David Manley
12-23-2013, 05:04
I'm verging on the "paint job update only" route at the moment. I've found that the models actually get a fair degree of handling in the game (to straighten them up, inadvertent touching of the model rather than the base, etc.) and in setting up and taking down the game. Some of this involves best applying a little pressure just at the points where the ratlines would be attached. Not sure whether this would be an issue with metal ones so I'll wait to see what others think when they give it a try. I have noticed though that a quick 5-10 minutes paint application to the yards, spars and bowsprit together with a thin brown wash do make an appreciable difference, and so I'll be doing that as standard (although I suspect it'll take all next year to do the few models I have!)

EDIT - Just chatting with some chums on the single peg issue. One suggested - why not glue the ship to the clear plastic base, then just remove ship and clear base from the dark blue base to change the ship card if necessary. Seems like a good idea

Andy Blozinski
12-23-2013, 17:53
I'm verging on the "paint job update only" route at the moment. I've found that the models actually get a fair degree of handling in the game (to straighten them up, inadvertent touching of the model rather than the base, etc.) and in setting up and taking down the game. Some of this involves best applying a little pressure just at the points where the ratlines would be attached. Not sure whether this would be an issue with metal ones so I'll wait to see what others think when they give it a try. I have noticed though that a quick 5-10 minutes paint application to the yards, spars and bowsprit together with a thin brown wash do make an appreciable difference, and so I'll be doing that as standard (although I suspect it'll take all next year to do the few models I have!)

EDIT - Just chatting with some chums on the single peg issue. One suggested - why not glue the ship to the clear plastic base, then just remove ship and clear base from the dark blue base to change the ship card if necessary. Seems like a good idea
Do you know of any material that is clear enough that we could put a light wave texture on the clear plastic and still be able to see through to the card?

Cpt Kangaroo
12-23-2013, 19:25
Personally, for display purposes, I think an areal shot of a ships wake under the plastic would look great.

Coog
12-23-2013, 20:06
I was thinking of painting one of the 32's as USS Essex. Essex was a bit bigger than the 32's in SOG but I'm not sure that would make a big difference at 1/1000 scale. Unlike the larger US frigates, Essex had a distinctive quarterdeck and forecastle making it look similar to the available models. I'm sure some of our talented members will be making custom cards. Having an Essex would give a bit more variety to initial limited selection of models. Any thoughts on the conversion?

Gunner
12-23-2013, 20:32
Russians, to be sure.

I see rum icons, G&T & Beer icons.
Who has a Vodka icon that Keith can add :please:.

DeRuyter
12-26-2013, 11:44
Hmm, that's easy; play with the toys!!

Then I'll think about the modifications. Of course the box must arrive first! :envy:

Eric