PDA

View Full Version : Making My Flag

csadn
12-02-2013, 00:44
Had a notion for the ultimate table-decoration (of sorts) for the next con I attend with _SoG_ stuff: Make an actual physical version of my avatar, and hang it up "behind" the playing area.

Problem: What materials ought I use to make it look as authentic as possible? (Of course, given how long it's been since last I sewed anything, I wonder if I should farm it out to someone I know who *can* sew.)

RichardPF
12-02-2013, 03:14
Had a notion for the ultimate table-decoration (of sorts) for the next con I attend with _SoG_ stuff: Make an actual physical version of my avatar, and hang it up "behind" the playing area.

Problem: What materials ought I use to make it look as authentic as possible? (Of course, given how long it's been since last I sewed anything, I wonder if I should farm it out to someone I know who *can* sew.)

I'm afraid I can't be of much help on that part...

Old Ironsides
12-02-2013, 21:10
For ROCKCON we made polo shirts with a club logo. The Flag is a cool idea. You avatar could easily be embroidered or printed on a shirt as well.

7eat51
12-03-2013, 09:08
I wonder if I should farm it out to someone I know who *can* sew.)

Farm it out. I would think in this instance, you would want such a flag to look good given the public display and desire to draw attention to your game. As for material, how large do you want it to be, and how stiff vs. flowing, if you will?

For ROCKCON we made polo shirts with a club logo.

I thought your team looked good with those shirts. It gave the impression of an organized game play, and not simply a pickup game. The shirts fit the genre well.

Blackrose
12-03-2013, 09:20
Several thoughts come to mind.
As a preface, I have made over 150 banners, ensigns and flags for use in my SCA hobby; applique, painted and a mix.
The easiest would probably be painted cloth. I would get either a medium weight poly-cotton that's solid and opaic.
Joanns sells a couple of weights; the lighter is called Rodeo, the heavier used to be called trigger (it's in the bottom weights).
The other way would be to applique the design on; not hard, just means you need a machine with a good satin-stitch setting.
I can send you a copy of my banner making handout, if you'd like.
If your looking for authentic, either lighter weight poly-cotton (broad-cloth) or (the expensive option) silk. Not china silk either, a silk broadcloth.
Unless your lucky, that means e-shopping. Thai-silks or Denver fabrics. to start with. I would definitely paint the silk.
Not that who\ite on a black ground will be difficult.
Karl

csadn
12-03-2013, 16:21
I can send you a copy of my banner making handout, if you'd like.

Thanks, but I have enough local folks I can ask about details (the local SF con is big on Costuming).

As to details: It should be the size for a proper flag, so probably 3' x 5', but no bigger than 4' x 6' (if it's bigger than I am, it's Too Big :) ). And it should look as period-authentic as possible without completely eating my bank account; so actual silk is probably a no-go, and the white elements will probably be sewed on rather than painted (easier to fix when I screw it up :) ).

[NOTE: 1,000 posts, and three days ahead of the two-year mark; good timing, eh? ;) ]

Blackrose
12-04-2013, 13:38
For economy, go with the poly-cotton then. I've gotten good results. If your sewing, and intend to fly it, look or ask your contacts about reverse applique. Tricky with lighter fabrics, but again, I've gotten good results.
Karl

Andy Blozinski
12-07-2013, 10:07
Thanks, but I have enough local folks I can ask about details (the local SF con is big on Costuming).

As to details: It should be the size for a proper flag, so probably 3' x 5', but no bigger than 4' x 6' (if it's bigger than I am, it's Too Big :)

Ya plan on wearing it?!

Diamondback
12-07-2013, 11:45
Ya plan on wearing it?!
LOL Giving Chris a taste of his own medicine, I see... :)

csadn
12-07-2013, 18:51
Ya plan on wearing it?!

Nah -- it's Advertising; it needs to be big, so it can be seen from a long way off.

Tho' I suppose a line of bathrobes and beach towels might bring in the odd extra doubloon.... >;)

Пилот
12-08-2013, 19:21
What materials ought I use to make it look as authentic as possible?
a) Silk
b) Some bedsheet

As kid, I used bedsheet (painted half in black) when made Partizan Belgrade FC flag (black and white), and it worked well*
*but I also had a neighbour, nice granny with sewing machine :happy:

Comte de Brueys
12-08-2013, 22:51
Why so complicated?

There ara copyshops, etc. that produce such stuff like banners and flags.

You only have to give them the data and they print the stuff on the material you want in any size you need.

My advice: Go to such a shop personally. They have samples of the material there and you can test the quality.

I used this to create gaming mats.

Пилот
12-09-2013, 03:20
"Authentic as possible", that's why I recommended "naturals" (and used chance to promote my favourite club :happy: ). Of course, copyshop is best solution considering compicity.

Comte de Brueys
12-09-2013, 04:22
Sorry wingman, it was a general comment to the discussion.

:surrender:

Пилот
12-09-2013, 14:56
Hey, wingman, no need to be sorry :beer:

Andy Blozinski
12-09-2013, 19:16
Why so complicated?

There ara copyshops, etc. that produce such stuff like banners and flags.

You only have to give them the data and they print the stuff on the material you want in any size you need.

My advice: Go to such a shop personally. They have samples of the material there and you can test the quality.

I used this to create gaming mats.

What kind of gaming mats did you have them make and how much did they cost? Would you perhaps have example photos so I could get an idea of the quality?